2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
34 registered members (5/1/19249, 20/20 Vision, Amy H, Andymania, albydooby, Animisha, brancaleon, Boboulus, 7 invisible), 322 guests, and 256 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Black Friday piano VST deals [Re: Grazilerimba] #2917412 11/28/19 06:03 PM
S
stillnotfamous Offline
S
SoniVox 88 Ensemble for $15.

http://store.dontcrack.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=120&products_id=2604

I'd never heard of this site (DontCrack) but for $15 I figured I'd risk it (on Paypal) - upgraded my expired free trial version (2-week license) and it worked.

Make sure you choose the correct platform way at the bottom of the order form (although I don't know if it makes any difference).

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods, and more!
Re: Black Friday piano VST deals [Re: QuasiUnaFantasia] #2917414 11/28/19 06:09 PM
TheodorN Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
This may be a silly question, but: is Wavesfactory Mercury the same as Waves Grand Rhapsody? Both seem to be sampled from a Fazioli F-228 at Metropolis Studios.

Yes, both are sampled from Freddie Mercury's Fazioli F-228, though they are quite different. I'm one of those who got the Waves Grand Rhapsody at 29 euros (or dollars, don't remember).

Though I got it to work, I didn't like it at all, and off my SSD it went after a few days.

The below video is a great comparison of both of the Metropolis Fazioli piano samples.

Turns out Waves Grand Rhapsody contains no release samples, so it is quite inferior to the Wavesfactory version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orhvyJBsB8c

Last edited by TheodorN; 11/28/19 06:11 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
Re: Black Friday piano VST deals [Re: Grazilerimba] #2917424 11/28/19 06:57 PM
K
KevinM Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Time and space in the UK have Synthogy Ivory II Italian and American Concert D Grands on sale for 25% and 28% discount.

No discount on Garritan CFX.

Garritan CFX is really expensive. Would the lite version with only the close miked samples be good enough for personal use, or are the player and audience samples significant.

I don’t know enough to appreciate what you get from the different samples. Is the difference significant or are differences subtle?

I have listened to quite a few recordings of the Synthogy American Grand II but in the end felt they missed something. It was rach3master’s recordings that convinced me of Garritan CFX.

Re: Black Friday piano VST deals [Re: Grazilerimba] #2917426 11/28/19 07:04 PM
P
pianistje Offline
P
I had the Waves Rhapsody and deleted it after a month, because of it’s many flaws.
But i did like the Fazioli sound.....i remember how i was tempted to buy the Wavesfactory Mercury , but bought the Ravenscroft instead afyer reading to many glowing reviews and personal observations online.
Well it turned out i absolutely felt lukewarm about it in every thinkable way from whatever mic perspective or combination.
I have bought my share of ‘never used’ vst’s over the years, thus deleted many after a while to save disc space.
Still regret buying the Ravenscroft and Hammersmith Pro,.....in a way both gave me even less satisfaction than the very limited Waves Mercury , because i did like the Fazioli grand that was sampled contrary to both the former examples.

Fast forward, i just bought the Wavesfactory Mercury full for €75,- on ‘black friday’ ....looking forward to have a piano vst that gives me something ‘ different’ .
I only play the Garritan CFX and Embertone ( like them both very much ) and occasionally pianoteq for the feel ( althaugh i am developing a clear dislike for it’s tonal character lately).

I really hope the Wavesfactory Mercury will be a positive surprise this time around adding another flavour.

Last edited by pianistje; 11/28/19 07:06 PM.
Re: Black Friday piano VST deals [Re: Grazilerimba] #2917483 11/28/19 11:21 PM
B
bsntn99 Offline
B
I've had Waves Rhapsody and Wavesfactory Mercury. Rhapsody was a sonic disaster. Very flat sounding at best and I could not find any settings that gave me some enjoyment. It sounded to me like some of the samples were mixed up between mic positions. Even if it were free, I would not want this on my computer.

Mercury was just ok. I did find some unevenness that caused distraction and also came across a bit flat at times. The latency in the samples, that is the time from when you press a key and the sound starts, is quite large. To remedy this you have to adjust the sample start to about the midpoint. Adjust it until you start to hear clicks at the start and then back off a bit. When you engage the HQ mode, the latency triples and cpu demand goes up. This came off my system a long time ago as I couldn't get along with the overall sound. Neither of these offers half or repedaling.

Re: Black Friday piano VST deals [Re: OmniaAequalis] #2917488 11/29/19 12:15 AM
R
RichieBill Offline
R
Originally Posted by OmniaAequalis
Pianoteq BF offers are here!

Black Friday promotional offer

During this Black Friday weekend (Nov 28-Dec 1) we are offering:

Pianoteq PRO and Studio bundle 25% off
Pianoteq Studio Bundle 25% off
Organteq 10% off

Thank you for that info.
I already purchased Pianoteq 6 PRO with 25% discount and also I used 20€ value coupon for participating of Pianoteq Video Contest 2019, which gave me finally price €256.75.
I've chosen: Petrof, Steinway B, Grotrian and Electric.

Kawai VPC1 | Arturia Minilab Mk2
Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Production Voices | Arturia Analog Lab Lite | Korg Collection
Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR225i
trumpet Getzen, cornet Olds Ambassador
Re: Black Friday piano VST deals [Re: Grazilerimba] #2917494 11/29/19 12:40 AM
N
newer player Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Ravenscroft 275 $199 >>>$149

https://www.vilabsaudio.com/

Re: Black Friday piano VST deals [Re: bsntn99] #2917522 11/29/19 04:13 AM
P
pianistje Offline
P
Originally Posted by bsntn99
I've had Waves Rhapsody and Wavesfactory Mercury. Rhapsody was a sonic disaster. Very flat sounding at best and I could not find any settings that gave me some enjoyment. It sounded to me like some of the samples were mixed up between mic positions. Even if it were free, I would not want this on my computer.

Mercury was just ok. I did find some unevenness that caused distraction and also came across a bit flat at times. The latency in the samples, that is the time from when you press a key and the sound starts, is quite large. To remedy this you have to adjust the sample start to about the midpoint. Adjust it until you start to hear clicks at the start and then back off a bit. When you engage the HQ mode, the latency triples and cpu demand goes up. This came off my system a long time ago as I couldn't get along with the overall sound. Neither of these offers half or repedaling.

Well all of a sudden i have second thoughts about my purchase.....but thanks anyway for your honest opinion.and recommendations.
I don’t think Mercury on HQ will stress my system that much and for the rest i’ll have to wait.
I am still waiting for download codes .....

I will not use it for solo piano but a different recording flavour that adds some different color.
Personally i engage with modern top grands on a regular basis and althaugh they are surely super all rounders
With thunderous bass register, cristal clear upper harmonics and superb dynamics and an even better keybed they give me a tiny bit underwhelming overall impression.

Most end up sounding quite similar and with less character than ithey use to have to distinguish their brand.
VSL has perfectly captured that modern sound and ability i must say and both Garritan CFX and Noire (NI) have this specific allround qualities too.
And Bechstein vst has a way to modern sound that has nothing in common with the hundreds of character Bechsteins i personally encountered.
Since the Walker 1955 i am swayed in the opposite direction ...... and if not for their supposed dreadfull playability i would consider imperfect samples too....
I Personally like the top grand piano’s from 30 - 80 years ago better than most of their modern equivalents.

Really hope Mercury will work out for me.... spend to much money on the wrong vst’s for far to long.anyway..

Last edited by pianistje; 11/29/19 04:15 AM.
Re: Black Friday piano VST deals [Re: bsntn99] #2917546 11/29/19 06:04 AM
S
stamkorg Offline
S
Originally Posted by bsntn99
I'll give my thoughts on Noire since I just picked this up. After playing around with it for a few days, this is going to be one of my top piano vsts alongside Grandeur and Ravenscroft. If you like Grandeur, then it plays very similar. The sound out of the box is a little flat and the releases too loud. I turned down the releases and increased the brightness a bit with the color knob. I also added some of the sub to give a little more oomph to the lower octaves.

The sound is a little more diffuse than Grandeur and better suits slower more emotive pieces. The mapping and velocity curve are very smooth, no notes stick out to my ears. The release tails are a bit longer than these other pianos which also lends to being less suited for fast technical pieces. I will say the release tails though are not as long as with Garritan CFX or Embertone which is one the reasons I avoid these vsts. Embertone in particular has very long release tails, more than double that of the Grandeur or Ravenscroft, such with fast passages the notes tend to blend together and you do not get good note separation.

Half pedaling works very well with Noire; however, will note like the Grandeur it only works when you press the pedal first before striking a note. If you strike a note first and then press the pedal, you do not get half pedaling. Not a deal breaker for me and I don't notice this with my playing.

Repedal only works as catch repedaling. That is, if you hit a note or chord, release the keys, and then quickly engage the pedal, it will catch the sustain at a lower volume. I do find the volume with this to be a little lower than I prefer. I will see if I can tweak this in the script. It will not repedal if you press the sustain pedal, hit and release keys, and then quickly go off and back on the sustain pedal. Again, I don't notice this with my playing style.

The particle engine is fun to play around with, but the default settings create too much chaos. I found I really needed to turn down all the settings to get something engaging. There is a slider that lets you select how much of this is blended with the piano sound. At one point, I moved the slider to only play the particles and used it with other vsts loaded into Kontakt, including the Grandeur. So it is flexible on how you can use it to enhance your playing or for sound design.

The big bonus for me is the felt piano. I have other felt pianos, but they always present too much mechanical noise because of the muted hammer strikes. With Noire, the mechanical noise is very suppressed and the color knob gives a wide variety of tonal presentations. You can use this on its own or blend it with the regular piano by loading both into Kontakt.

In summary, Noire is exceptionally smooth and suites slower more emotive pieces. I find nothing that distracts. Dynamic range is acceptable to me, but does not hit the extremes, particularly at fff - note most piano vsts don't. It has the most variety of controls to alter the sound I have seen and is a very good value with the added particle engine and felt piano included at the sale price. I would recommend this as a first piano vst unless you need something for fast technical work. Then, I would go with Grandeur/Vintage D, Ravenscroft (also good for jazz styles), or Garritan CFX with the best playability. Note I do not have the Ivorys or VSL pianos which also get fairly positive reviews.

Thank you for this precious review of Noire.
Do you think this Noire gives something more or better than the Grandeur, sound or playability wise?

SK

Re: Black Friday piano VST deals [Re: Grazilerimba] #2917566 11/29/19 07:26 AM
K
KevinM Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Decided to go for Ivory II American Concert D from Time and Space since it was on special. Currently libraries are downloading. So far 30GB downloaded.

I also bought Garritan CFX light at the same time. No special on that one or the full version. Still waiting for download links and serial for that.

Re: Black Friday piano VST deals [Re: KevinM] #2917595 11/29/19 09:28 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KevinM
Decided to go for Ivory II American Concert D from Time and Space since it was on special. Currently libraries are downloading. So far 30GB downloaded.

I also bought Garritan CFX light at the same time. No special on that one or the full version. Still waiting for download links and serial for that.

There is a special on Garritan. See above thread (I posted a comment on it above - you have to buy from a reseller).

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Black Friday piano VST deals [Re: Grazilerimba] #2917653 11/29/19 11:33 AM
B
Burkie Offline
B
Finished my birthday Friday shopping spree:
Noire
Mercury Pro
Ableton Live 10 Intro (USD $19)

Warning Mercury Pro requires 34Gb space + 34Gb for the compressed files - so allow 70Gb free space before you embark on a very long installation process.

Last edited by Burkie; 11/29/19 11:42 AM.

Piano is one of the top human inventions of the past 300 years - help evangelize the magic!
Re: Black Friday piano VST deals [Re: Burkie] #2917657 11/29/19 11:42 AM
P
plobotta Offline
P
Happy birthday!
(I just finished too:
AcousticSamples Kawai-EX pro
Embertone 1955 Concert D)

Kawai RX 5
Yamaha Clavinova PF P100
Roland FP4-f
Re: Black Friday piano VST deals [Re: Grazilerimba] #2917659 11/29/19 11:48 AM
N
newer player Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Embertone 1955 Concert D, maybe today only.

Note that Embertone released a major update this autumn which reportedly resolved a lot of the issues with early revisions. There are recent posts on that update at PianoWorld forums.

Walker Light $39 >> $10
Main version $99 >> $69
Main version all mics $149 >>$105

https://www.embertone.com/

Re: Black Friday piano VST deals [Re: Grazilerimba] #2917788 11/29/19 05:25 PM
U
U3piano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
U
Is Synthogy american concert D a download, or does it come as a package?

Im thinking of buying it.

Re: Black Friday piano VST deals [Re: newer player] #2917794 11/29/19 05:30 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by newer player
Embertone 1955 Concert D, maybe today only.

Note that Embertone released a major update this autumn which reportedly resolved a lot of the issues with early revisions. There are recent posts on that update at PianoWorld forums.

Walker Light $39 >> $10
Main version $99 >> $69
Main version all mics $149 >>$105

https://www.embertone.com/

Does the all mics version include mics such as the binaural head mics?

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Black Friday piano VST deals [Re: Burkie] #2917807 11/29/19 05:54 PM
TheodorN Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Burkie
Warning Mercury Pro requires 34Gb space + 34Gb for the compressed files - so allow 70Gb free space before you embark on a very long installation process.

You can also download it to a HDD, and install to the SSD from the hard (spinning) disk drive. Then you only need space for the installed library.

Though I'd recommend at least 50GB of free space for a 34GB library, since the Mercury Pro supposedly has to decompress the compressed files.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
Re: Black Friday piano VST deals [Re: Grazilerimba] #2917810 11/29/19 06:04 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Is the USB-eLicenser for Cubase the same as the dongle for VSL?

[Linked Image]

Re: Black Friday piano VST deals [Re: Grazilerimba] #2917812 11/29/19 06:07 PM
Frédéric L Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have one dongle for both.

According to VSL :

If you already have another eLicenser USB protection device (e.g., from Steinberg or Arturia), you can use it for VSL products, too.

(And the Vienna Key is made by eLincensor, but the specific naming doesn’t make sure the Vienna key can be used with Cubase, but I suppose it does).

Last edited by Frédéric L; 11/29/19 06:11 PM.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Re: Black Friday piano VST deals [Re: Frédéric L] #2917814 11/29/19 06:13 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
I have one dongle for both.

According to VSL :

If you already have another eLicenser USB protection device (e.g., from Steinberg or Arturia), you can use it for VSL products, too.

(And the Vienna Key is made by eLincensor, but the specific naming doesn’t make sure the Vienna key can be used with Cubase, but I suppose it does).

Well, I bought the VSL dongle not realizing I needed one for Cubase. Do you think the VSL one will work with Cubase? Or is only the Steinberg one, universal?

[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Piano World 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Counting triplets in cut time
by Tom97 - 04/04/20 06:20 AM
How did Chopin decide when to pedal?
by baudelairepianist - 04/04/20 03:09 AM
Dealers that carry Kawai & Yamaha digital lines
by Almaviva - 04/04/20 02:50 AM
Favourite Piano VI and Why
by newer player - 04/03/20 11:13 PM
KAWAI CASIO YAMAHA - DP for classical pianist
by hammerklavierx - 04/03/20 09:03 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,907
Posts2,941,882
Members96,471
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission