2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
36 registered members (barbaram, BachToTheFuture, Catlady, Animisha, CyberGene, Ankee, David J Staff, 7 invisible), 241 guests, and 439 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Do you tip piano movers/delivery persons #2916980 11/27/19 10:59 AM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
W
Do you (would you) tip piano delivery people? Please let me know in which country you live when responding, so I can put your answer into context. I know there are differences from region to region. Thank you!

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Do you tip piano movers/delivery persons [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2916985 11/27/19 11:12 AM
PianoWorksATL Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I delivered many, many pianos over the years. Tipping was very common and appreciated, though I know the customer experience can very significantly. Because of that variation in quality, it's hard to say tipping piano movers is conventional and expected.

I recall training some of our movers and helping on difficult moves as needed. Our movers noticed how often they got tipped when I was with them. I told them to look and learn and earn. They are now frequently complimented and frequently tipped.

If the movers take pride in their work, care with your instrument and your property, and leave you with a good experience, then a tip makes sense. While we did have some particularly generous tippers over the years, I always felt a tip was good if it was enough to buy each mover needed, a decent lunch.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Re: Do you tip piano movers/delivery persons [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2916991 11/27/19 11:27 AM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
I delivered many, many pianos over the years. Tipping was very common and appreciated, though I know the customer experience can very significantly. Because of that variation in quality, it's hard to say tipping piano movers is conventional and expected.

I recall training some of our movers and helping on difficult moves as needed. Our movers noticed how often they got tipped when I was with them. I told them to look and learn and earn. They are now frequently complimented and frequently tipped.

If the movers take pride in their work, care with your instrument and your property, and leave you with a good experience, then a tip makes sense. While we did have some particularly generous tippers over the years, I always felt a tip was good if it was enough to buy each mover needed, a decent lunch.

That is helpful. Thank you!

Kawai K-500
Re: Do you tip piano movers/delivery persons [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2917014 11/27/19 01:03 PM
T
The Hound Offline
T
When I had my piano delivered about 8 years ago I tipped £10 between the two guys. I don't know if that was reasonable or not, but they seemed to appreciate it.

UK obviously, as the currency should indicate.

Working on:
Beethoven - Piano Sonata No. 15 in D major, Op. 28 ("Pastoral") First two movements; Piano Sonata No. 21 in C major, Op. 53 ("Waldstein") First movement
Schumann/Liszt - Widmung
-------------
Steingraeber B-192
Kawai CA97
Re: Do you tip piano movers/delivery persons [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2917020 11/27/19 01:15 PM
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
4000 Post Club Member

4000 Post Club Member
I live in the US.

I've told this story before, but...

When my piano arrived, I was prepared to tip, but they left so fast that I wasn't able to, literally, like there was a cloud of dust and they were gone, cartoon like. They left so fast that one guy left his rather expensive looking heavy leather gloves.

TBH, I wonder if they were worried that they'd broken the piano. The fallboard would not go down. They messed around with it for a while, took the action out, poked and prodded. Then they vanished. Ironically, I just jiggled it a little, it went down, and has never been a problem since.

I had offered them something to drink when they arrived. One accepted a can of soda. I thought they did a great job. They asked me where I wanted it, brought it in, moved it a couple of times for small adjustments, put the castor cups under the legs, etc. Made it look easy. But I always wonder about the fall board thing, because that's when they vanished.

I think 2 of the 3 went out to the truck--probably had the engine running--while the one tried to fix it. Then the last guy gave up and bolted out while I was looking at it, and they vamoosed in the blink of an eye! In the time it took me to jiggle it a bit--and it was definitely stuck initially--for it to fall, and for me to raise and lower it a few times, they vanished! I turned around and the room was empty! I looked into the garage, through which they'd come (and gone), and it was empty. I walked out on the driveway and their truck was gone!

So, I didn't tip. Not that I wouldn't have, but I couldn't! wink

And still I dream she'll come to me
That we will live the years together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather
Re: Do you tip piano movers/delivery persons [Re: Retsacnal] #2917022 11/27/19 01:19 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
[...] They left so fast that one guy left his rather expensive looking heavy leather gloves.

[...] I looked into the garage, through which they'd come (and gone), and it was empty. I walked out on the driveway and their truck was gone!

... and the gloves?

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Do you tip piano movers/delivery persons [Re: BruceD] #2917047 11/27/19 02:01 PM
Retsacnal Offline

4000 Post Club Member

4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
[...] They left so fast that one guy left his rather expensive looking heavy leather gloves.

[...] I looked into the garage, through which they'd come (and gone), and it was empty. I walked out on the driveway and their truck was gone!

... and the gloves?

You know, I was thinking about the gloves while I typed that up. I found them in the family room, near the piano. I don't recall disposing of them, so they must be in my garage or basement.

Funny thing, there was no sign of the coke can, so they didn't forget that! thumb

And still I dream she'll come to me
That we will live the years together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather
Re: Do you tip piano movers/delivery persons [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2917051 11/27/19 02:15 PM
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I pretty much always tip large item delivery folks. I also offer them a drink and our bathroom. I worked my way through college doing odd delivery and construction jobs so I probably feel guilty as I know how tough it is. Regardless, it doesn't hurt to be nice and if you can afford it, a tip is a pretty nice gesture. I like Sam's advice "I always felt a tip was good if it was enough to buy each mover needed, a decent lunch." That's a great rule of thumb.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth) and C minor Prelude (big chords), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO
Re: Do you tip piano movers/delivery persons [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2917058 11/27/19 02:23 PM
D
dhull100 Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
D
Yes. United States. Simple gesture that demonstrates respect for their work.

Re: Do you tip piano movers/delivery persons [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2917070 11/27/19 02:39 PM
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
My piano movers would not accept a tip, but would accept some cold root beer.

[Linked Image]
Re: Do you tip piano movers/delivery persons [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2917072 11/27/19 02:39 PM
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
When I bought my grand, I arranged for the delivery. I used two guys who specialize in moving pianos, they are in business for themselves.

Getting the piano out of the seller's house and into the truck was a nightmare. I was there, supposedly watching but mostly I was standing facing a corner because I couldn't bear to watch, and even then I almost had a heart attack about a hundred times. The piano was right by an outside door, but that was the easy part. They took off the legs and put the piano onto a special grand dolly. Once outside, the movers had to get it over a bumpy irregular stone walkway, then do a very sharp turn, more stones, some steps, another turn, more steps, and then up a steep driveway. There were two of them, but they really needed a third person. I don't think any of us thought it was going to be as bad as it was. But it had rained the night before, and the stone walkway and the area on either side of the stones was slippery and the whole thing was a nightmare.

When they got to my house, it was off the truck and in my living room before I could even blink! I commented on how fast they were, and they said "this is what we do" implying that the sellers house was not!

Anyway, they had it all set up, nary a scratch, and nary a word of complaint about the first half. They did an excellent job and I felt they were very conscientious. I paid and gave each of them a $25 tip in addition. Oh, I'm in the US. I also offered them cold beverages, which they accepted (it was August!)

Then just a few weeks ago, I had them back out here because I decided I wanted to have the piano turned 90 degrees to change the piano's position and the layout of the room. They took one leg off, used the dolly, moved the piano out about 7 feet, then me and Mr. SK rotated the rug, and then they turned the piano and moved it back into position. Off of the dolly and back onto three legs. Then there was some minor adjusting after that. But the whole thing barely took 20 minutes. I paid but did not tip. I think that was ok. I sure hope so because I might need their services again sometime!

If they had been employees of someone else, I would have tipped the second time. I actually had a thread about that here IIRC, and the point was made that if it's someone in business for him/herself, tipping is not expected.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Do you tip piano movers/delivery persons [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2917153 11/27/19 05:50 PM
AaronSF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
USA here. I always tip movers, pianos or furniture or whole households. Usually $20 each...somewhat dependent on the quality of the move. The movers on my last piano move were highly professional. They first removed my old grand and loaded on their truck for delivery to my sister in Denver. Then they brought in my 7-footer, steered it gently through 2 doorways, set it up exactly where I wanted on the caster cups, then one of them improvised on the piano for about a minute. He was pretty good! Perfect double move. I gave the 3 movers $20 each for dinner on their return trip to Denver.

August Förster 215
Re: Do you tip piano movers/delivery persons [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2917365 11/28/19 02:19 PM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
W
Thanks folks! I’ll keep all your thoughts and stories in mind. I’m expecting my piano soon, maybe next week!

Kawai K-500
Re: Do you tip piano movers/delivery persons [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2917540 11/29/19 04:33 AM
S
scirocco Offline
S
Australia. No tipping culture here, so no tip.

Having said that I was working on fixed quote from the guy who owns the business, drives the truck and wheels the piano in all on his own. So not an employee as such.

Re: Do you tip piano movers/delivery persons [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2917596 11/29/19 08:32 AM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yes - since the deliveries have all been successful, most of the deliveries involved two pianos coming and going so it seemed appropriate. The one move where we moved the C3 from out of town to in town, I locked the piano and took the key to newer home 20 miles away, Duh. Although neither home had steps they struggled with the steep driveway successfully so I certainly tipped them when my C3 was safely moved. The movers are an independent company and most often the owner does the work with one or two assistants. He’ll tell me a tip isn’t necessary but I tell him he can just pass it on to his crew, or buy themselves some lunch (fast food or sandwiches). They are usually on a time table so they do the work very quickly and don’t take any offered refreshments.

I’m in the US.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Do you tip piano movers/delivery persons [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2917918 11/30/19 12:05 AM
PhilipInChina Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I always do.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Re: Do you tip piano movers/delivery persons [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2918252 11/30/19 04:41 PM
J
John305 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I tip the pizza delivery guy and how much does a pizza weigh? So tipping the guys who delivered my nearly 900 pound piano seems like a no brainer to me.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
Re: Do you tip piano movers/delivery persons [Re: John305] #2918255 11/30/19 04:46 PM
L
LarryK Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by John305
I tip the pizza delivery guy and how much does a pizza weigh? So tipping the guys who delivered my nearly 900 pound piano seems like a no brainer to me.

I’m a New Yorker, I tip everybody, including the piano delivery guys.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Do you tip piano movers/delivery persons [Re: John305] #2918256 11/30/19 04:49 PM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by John305

It’s a no brainer if you live in the US. Tipping isn’t really a thing in many parts of the world, although I think that’s changing somewhat due to US influence of course. smile

Kawai K-500
Re: Do you tip piano movers/delivery persons [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2918399 11/30/19 11:47 PM
P
pianowillbebach Offline
P
I haven't, but that was because they mentioned that their moving company pays them more for moving pianos, and the move was paid for by the military. Not sure if that's taboo or not!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha YDP s52 or Casio CDP 220R
by Love4Music - 02/18/20 09:11 PM
Kawaii K-200 vs Geyer GU-123
by ckm99 - 02/18/20 07:33 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,054
Posts2,927,317
Members96,039
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission