2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (7sheji, bcalvanese, Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 5 invisible), 1,351 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Athdara Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi all,

Am just wondering (I might sound stupid but here goes) (after a conversation with a friend who's been extolling the benefits of weight lifting), are there any targeted physical exercises designed to improve one's stamina when playing the piano?

Yes we should practice more, but besides that, and perhaps besides long-distance running, does say weight lifting help...? I'm guessing it'll help only to a minor extent (I'm sure the best pianists don't weight lift) (I might be wrong) but am just throwing the question out there. I used to play basketball when I was young and was told that it is bad for people who play the piano because of how we have to lock our wrists and palms at times when dribbling (not sure how true that is), so I kinda stopped playing the piano for more than a decade before picking it up again as an adult. So yes that leads me to my next question: are there physical exercises we should avoid?

Well my brother with decent biceps plays his chords with much more gusto haha. And his playing looks almost effortless. I on the other hand find myself struggling to sustain the intensity of each note when playing long stretches of broken octaves and arpeggios (I know I know, practice!!). And just two days ago I tried to play through the entire pathetique sonata for the first time (I've been working on bits and pieces of it), but before I could bring myself to start I found myself exhausted, both physically and emotionally.

His secret formula might be his workouts and protein shakes but I'm not about to invest in dumbbells and kettlebells if I'm not sure I'll use them.

Also I work full time, up to 55h a week sometimes, so any practical advice that doesn't involve me quitting my job and that'll help in stamina building will be much appreciated! Thank you.

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Training at playing the piano is no different to training for an endurance or power sport. smirk

Targeted at efficient movements, avoidance of unnecessary tension, and don't overtrain. You don't want injuries. And you want to make sure your technique is sound.

And no need for protein shakes (if you want protein, eat eggs and fish - they're far cheaper and better for you, according to my nutritionist, i.e. myself cool).

How does a slim woman with no Popeye biceps like Hélène Grimaud manage to play Brahms 2? Simple - lots of efficient practice over years. Her stamina wasn't built in a day (and her power wasn't built on protein shakes). She keeps wolves, but she doesn't wrestle with them to build muscle...... wink

Instead, she hones her technical skills so that her movements are as efficient as possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6_lbrlehsg

If music be the food of love, play on!
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I have heard that some pianists use these to build finger strength and dexterity, but haven’t used them myself and don’t know if they work.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baoding_balls

Kawai K500
F
F
I use my arms when I play. I'm an arm player. So for me upper body strength is a nice thing to have and I train 5 days a week to maintain muscle tone up there.

But is strength necessary? No not really, it helps me feel better but the piano doesn't care. Pianos respond to acceleration and agility not strength. Arm weight is a specific technique for timing & touch. If you can lift your arm, you're strong enough.

Endurance comes from one thing only: practicing for more hours per day and being relaxed while you do it. Nothing will sap your power like tension does. Tension is the piano killer. So while you want to feel the burn at the gym don't ever feel burning or soreness when practicing. That road is a dead end.

Just do it. -- Nike
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Everything is better with a little physical fitness.

I also spend way more time than is optimal at work and I feel way better when I can carve out a little time for exercise.

Learner
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by malkin
Everything is better with a little physical fitness.

I also spend way more time than is optimal at work and I feel way better when I can carve out a little time for exercise.

+1

AND … if you do nothing else ….. go for long walks. If you do that 3 or more times each week, you probably will notice your stamina improving.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
avoid long distance cycling in the heat, it makes you so.....so .......sleepy, and not in the mood to practice

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar
avoid long distance cycling in the heat, it makes you so.....so .......sleepy, and not in the mood to practice

Poor you all in Australia! Here in Sweden we have a lovely damp and extremely dark November. Only 28 hours of sun so far this month.

But back on topic. Any endurance training is good for stamina, but yes, take care of your hands and wrists. Running and bicycling. Power training gives you a bit more muscles but doesn't do much for stamina.
Maybe you can bicycle to work? Or buy a crosstrainer? With a crosstrainer, you can workout and watch TV at the same time...

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Training of intrinsic hand muscles is good for a pianist, but I know no one who trained them with resistence exercises, although devices for such training do exist.

https://t-b.ru.com/catalog/product/570320812409/#.Xd6Ju-gzY2w

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The only thing strength and weight training did for me was make it easier to open the piano lid with one hand 😁. But I do exercise every day so I don’t have a heart attack or stroke at the keyboard. You’re gonna hate this but I practice scales and chord cadences to build finger strength and speed.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I think that general, overall, moderate, regular exercise is all that is needed to keep one in shape to play the piano.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
J
J
Originally Posted by Fidel
Tension is the piano killer.

+1

In the last couple of months I've worked on 2 pieces where my teacher noted that I was running out of steam on the last page. I am fairly fit - in both cases tension was to blame. For one piece I just wasn't using the right technique in the LH...holding it like a claw trying to reach notes in a repeated pattern when I should have been using wrist circles. For the other, it was just a bit out of reach for my current skill level, at least at the tempo I was attempting. I was tensing up at many trouble spots and for large chords.

For me, I like Pilates for a strong core that helps with my posture when sitting for hours at a time.

For a strong heart, I have a high intensity routine, i.e. 2 minutes recovery doing (combo of core, push-ups & stretches) after a burst of 20 seconds of calisthenics. With a warm-up, this activity takes less than 20 minutes.

This works out great especially when travelling. With a pair of comfortable athletic shoes & apparel, I'm huffing & puffin by the end of the session.

Good luck!

Dona Nobis Pacem
Yamaha DGX 660 (portable 88)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Running makes my body work better. My resting heart rate is 48. I mostly run easy but I run almost every day. I also do indoor rowing, which is a non impact sport, and one that hits 85% of one’s muscles.

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by BruceD
I think that general, overall, moderate, regular exercise is all that is needed to keep one in shape to play the piano.

Regards,

I think that is true., Even technically demanding music doesn’t require the exclusively brute force ability of athletics. However, it is far more draining on nervous and mental energy, so food and rest are just as important.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
A
Athdara Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you for the advice and link, and yes I'm not that keen on protein shakes!

A
Athdara Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
I have heard that some pianists use these to build finger strength and dexterity, but haven’t used them myself and don’t know if they work.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baoding_balls

Oh that is interesting. I think I've one lying around somewhere... but I suppose one wouldn't do the trick. Thanks!

A
Athdara Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by j&j
The only thing strength and weight training did for me was make it easier to open the piano lid with one hand 😁. But I do exercise every day so I don’t have a heart attack or stroke at the keyboard. You’re gonna hate this but I practice scales and chord cadences to build finger strength and speed.

Originally Posted by LadyAcadia
For me, I like Pilates for a strong core that helps with my posture when sitting for hours at a time.

For a strong heart, I have a high intensity routine, i.e. 2 minutes recovery doing (combo of core, push-ups & stretches) after a burst of 20 seconds of calisthenics. With a warm-up, this activity takes less than 20 minutes.

This works out great especially when travelling. With a pair of comfortable athletic shoes & apparel, I'm huffing & puffin by the end of the session.

Good luck!

Pilates for posture! Yes that's something I should try. Thank you.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Plain old walking 5 miles per day helps me.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission