2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,865 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 44 of 81 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 80 81
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
So sticking with your Grade 4 example, what do you suppose the relative importance of these factors are at about grade 4-ish: rhythm, notes, articulation, and dynamics? I already gather rhythm is #1. But is notes #4? I only have limited capacity at my level to get certain things right and not all 4 of these during the sight-reading - I just run out of bandwidth. So what comes after rhythm?

Notes. Try to get the bass notes at the beginning of each bar correct, at least.

Forget about everything else if you can't manage them.

If music be the food of love, play on!
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
So sticking with your Grade 4 example, what do you suppose the relative importance of these factors are at about grade 4-ish: rhythm, notes, articulation, and dynamics? I already gather rhythm is #1. But is notes #4? I only have limited capacity at my level to get certain things right and not all 4 of these during the sight-reading - I just run out of bandwidth. So what comes after rhythm?

Notes. Try to get the bass notes at the beginning of each bar correct, at least.

Forget about everything else if you can't manage them.

Thanks. OK. Will be practicing that for the next 2.5 weeks.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Tyrone, I think you have the level 4 Sight reading book. The weekly and final tests at the end don't have any tempo or dynamic markings (except for one that says Slowly and Smoothly). However, there are some slurs and staccato. I wouldn't expect anything different than that.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Tyrone, I think you have the level 4 Sight reading book. The weekly and final tests at the end don't have any tempo or dynamic markings (except for one that says Slowly and Smoothly). However, there are some slurs and staccato. I wouldn't expect anything different than that.

Thanks. Some RCM exam process questions-
  • I found that my exam location is an actual teacher's studio. Are you given a few mins to acclimate to the piano before the exam begins? Play some scales, etc?
  • Are the ear training tests given by the examiner with a piano and some handout? Or are they done on the computer (via a recording or an app) like the training material RCM uses?
  • For the technical component, what percentage of the scales/chords/arpeggios are you supposed to play? Does the examiner ask for some specific ones and then you play them? Or is it that you blast through all of them in rapid succession?
  • There are no points for doing etudes by memory. Does that mean one can use the book, can't use the book, or brings the book but gives the book to the examiner?

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yes, at the location I went to it was suggested to arrive early, about 15 minutes. They had a separate room that I could warm up in prior to going to a different room for the exam. I would call the location ahead of time and ask.

For the ear training, the examiner will go up to the piano and then you stand at the other end. I asked one time if I could stand behind her for better acoustics, she laughed.

Technical, they will ask you certain things, but you won't be tested on every technical test. They just call out random tests. In one exam, I wasn't asked to do a chromatic scale.

I did my etudes by memory, there was no issue with that. You can use the book though if you like, but you do need to give one to the examiner.

My teacher recommended though that any book you give them that you erase pencil markings. That's because my teacher usually marked up things I didn't do correct or needed to work on, so don't call that out for the examiner in case you forget smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

E
E
Someone suggested you chaps might have some input on this subject which I posted elsewhere.

http://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthreads.php/topics/2916369.html#Post2916369

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Elecmuso
Someone suggested you chaps might have some input on this subject which I posted elsewhere.

http://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthreads.php/topics/2916369.html#Post2916369

45 mins three times a week, one of which is her lesson means really 90 mins of practice per week. That seems way too little for the average piano student, but I'm not a teacher.

[Linked Image]

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Yes, at the location I went to it was suggested to arrive early, about 15 minutes. They had a separate room that I could warm up in prior to going to a different room for the exam. I would call the location ahead of time and ask.

For the ear training, the examiner will go up to the piano and then you stand at the other end. I asked one time if I could stand behind her for better acoustics, she laughed.

Aha. I looked back at the syllabus and see now that they do not even test half the stuff that are in the RCM training software. For example, the RCM training software shows two scores and plays a piece and asks you to pick one of them. Not in the exam. It also plays chords and has you tell whether they are major or minor. Not on the test. Really odd it trains you on stuff that will never be tested.

Technical, they will ask you certain things, but you won't be tested on every technical test. They just call out random tests. In one exam, I wasn't asked to do a chromatic scale.

Is it about 25% of the elements that you will be tested on? Or 50%?

I did my etudes by memory, there was no issue with that. You can use the book though if you like, but you do need to give one to the examiner.

OK.

My teacher recommended though that any book you give them that you erase pencil markings. That's because my teacher usually marked up things I didn't do correct or needed to work on, so don't call that out for the examiner in case you forget smile

Assuming I don't need to give the technical or sight-reading book to the examiner, right?

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
For RCM 4 you will get tested on chords, identify as major and minor. Another test will be to identify if a note is the root, 3rd or 5th of a major or minor triad.

For the technical, expect to play the formula pattern. At least one major scale, one minor scale. Chords, expect at least one broken and then one solid pattern. Then an arpeggio. Also know the one chromatic scale. They might throw in an extra scale or chord pattern. You want have to do all of them, there isn't enough time.

Correct, don't need to bring the sight reading book. They will hand you a sheet to play.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Just in case you are not aware of this video, I post it here for reference:

https://www.rcmusic.com/learning/ex...dents/a-peek-inside-the-examination-room

The first video relates to the piano exam.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 11/25/19 11:00 PM.

Kawai K500
C
C

Thanks. Some RCM exam process questions-
  • I found that my exam location is an actual teacher's studio. Are you given a few mins to acclimate to the piano before the exam begins? Play some scales, etc?
  • Are the ear training tests given by the examiner with a piano and some handout? Or are they done on the computer (via a recording or an app) like the training material RCM uses?
  • For the technical component, what percentage of the scales/chords/arpeggios are you supposed to play? Does the examiner ask for some specific ones and then you play them? Or is it that you blast through all of them in rapid succession?
  • There are no points for doing etudes by memory. Does that mean one can use the book, can't use the book, or brings the book but gives the book to the examiner?

Absolutely ask to warm up - put together 1-2 minutes as a “medley”. Once you stop it’s assumed you are ready to start exam
The examiner will play the ear tests on the piano while you stand facing away from the piano
The technical exercises are asked for one at a time. Key and exercise are completely random. Ie you’ll be asked to play the scale of e major. When done, you’ll be asked to play solid diminished 7th chords for b minor. They’ll usually cover one type of each exercise but generally when you can play something solid or broken you’ll only be asked one form of the two
You play etudes from the book. The examiner does not get a copy (at least not when I did exams)

Gave up on exams - playing whatever I feel like
Working on:
Bach Partita #2- up to the Courante so far
Liszt Consolation #2
Piazzolla Milonga del Angel
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand

Thanks! But cr@p! I started to feel nervous just watching the video. 😬

[Linked Image]

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W

Oops! Sorry but my intention was the opposite! I was hoping that you would get more comfortable if you kind of know how it will be like.

Kawai K500
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It goes by really fast smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E

Just remember to take your lucky gonk(s)

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I had to look that up.

Gonk:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonk

Kawai K500
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
It goes by really fast smile

I like exams, but I get stage fright, so I have a funny mix of excitement and trepidation! 🤪

[Linked Image]

W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Like the exams? I like preparing for the exam. I like learning the pieces and I like the improvement I find in my speed and technique. I love getting a good score. TAKING the exam brings about the under the spotlight pressure. Funny, I never felt that in a play when I had a part or even when singing a solo bit. JUST playing the piano under scrutiny. Maybe need therapy to fix my hangups.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I started to feel nervous just watching the video. 😬

I'm getting nervous on your behalf, LOL! Wishing you oceans of luck!!! ❤️❤️❤️

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
On Grade 5 online theory, took the unit 3 test, made 100, I had 30 sec to spare. During the test my hands were sweating, you do not know how you did until the end, then your grade will appear. I am hoping I do good on all the unit test to use for a buffer for the final which is worth 40%. This test had 20 questions to answer in 10 minutes. Passing or not will not impact my life, its a personal challenge. Actually playing in front of people I am so nervous, I commend you all for the dedication to do piano exams. What a nice accomplishment.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
Page 44 of 81 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 80 81

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission