2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
45 registered members (barbaram, EPW, CyberGene, Craig Hair, Doug M., BachToTheFuture, AYS, Frédéric L, 10 invisible), 352 guests, and 446 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Why did you pick the piano? #2916004 11/24/19 11:39 PM
O
OscoBosco Offline OP
OP Offline
O
I love the piano but it was my parents that started me on it. It's obviously the best instrument so tell me all about it lol

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Why did you pick the piano? [Re: OscoBosco] #2916006 11/24/19 11:51 PM
L
LarryK Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
Because I realized that I would not be able to play a lot of Bach’s music on the classical guitar.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Why did you pick the piano? [Re: OscoBosco] #2916010 11/25/19 12:38 AM
W
wszxbcl Online Content
Online Content
W
Actually I picked the violin. But everyone needs to know some piano.

Re: Why did you pick the piano? [Re: OscoBosco] #2916017 11/25/19 01:36 AM
C
CharlesXX Offline
C
The piano picked me!

Re: Why did you pick the piano? [Re: OscoBosco] #2916030 11/25/19 02:53 AM
R
rmns2bseen Offline
R
I gravitated to it as a kid because there was a keyboard around. Since then I've taken up some other instruments and love those as well. I still think that in terms of understanding theory the keyboard is hands down the best thing to learn first. It makes learning other instruments easier, or so I believe.

Re: Why did you pick the piano? [Re: OscoBosco] #2916087 11/25/19 06:48 AM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I had no choice.

Fate......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Why did you pick the piano? [Re: OscoBosco] #2916089 11/25/19 06:51 AM
johnstaf Online Crying
3000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
3000 Post Club Member
I hated the piano as a kid. I wanted to be a rock star, so I got a guitar.

Re: Why did you pick the piano? [Re: johnstaf] #2916091 11/25/19 06:58 AM
L
LarryK Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by johnstaf
I hated the piano as a kid. I wanted to be a rock star, so I got a guitar.

LOL. When did you switch to the piano or did you always keep up with your piano lessons?

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Why did you pick the piano? [Re: OscoBosco] #2916099 11/25/19 07:20 AM
johnstaf Online Crying
3000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
3000 Post Club Member
I didn't touch the piano again until I was in my 20s. Still wanted to be a rockstar though, although I only ever played classical on the piano. grin

Re: Why did you pick the piano? [Re: OscoBosco] #2916159 11/25/19 09:57 AM
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
The piano isn't my first instrument of choice. When I was 5, mom took me to a few lessons which didn't work out. Within a month the piano was out of the house and never returned. When I was 11, a cousin who had lessons tried to teach me some basics. There was a piece in a beginner's book with the same repeated L-hand chords. The hand coordination was too hard so I put off playing for another 2 decades.

In my younger days I learned to play recorder in music class and later violin. I played violin with the school band and continued playing many years later with a music group in church. In my music class the students did presentations on great composers. I found a book on Bach and listened to a harpsichord recording of the French Suites #3. Didn't cross my mind at the time that I would eventually learn to play these pieces. Although I enjoyed listening to music, I have always feel that I don't have enough talent to play the piano.

A few years later a man was giving keyboard playing demos. He told the audience what they should be able to do with a keyboard at an adult learner. The main message was leave Classical music in the closet and we should be OK. I got myself a keyboard and kept on going.

I started off with a basic 61-keyboard (in my 30s) and eventually upgraded to an 88. I haven't got a piano at home since age 11 and don't expect 1 soon. Having an upright piano in the house is very visible. People in the family who walked by would assume I started music lessons recently. Many who took lessons as a child have pianos sitting at home like pieces of furniture. An 88 keyboard doesn't have the nice piano sound of an acoustic but it's more personal like a toy. It got sound effect buttons I can press when I'm bored. I can take the instrument wherever to practice. And it goes into the closet when I'm not playing.

Re: Why did you pick the piano? [Re: OscoBosco] #2916192 11/25/19 12:11 PM
gooddog Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The piano was the only instrument in the house....

Best regards,

Deborah
Re: Why did you pick the piano? [Re: OscoBosco] #2916206 11/25/19 01:26 PM
D
D959 Offline
D
My mom injured her back before she could finish her graduate degree and forced me and all of my siblings to learn piano. I hated it and quit when I was 12 and she didn't want to fight me anymore.

Fast forward a few years to age 16 and I discovered Mozart. After that, I was missing meals because I was too engrossed in the music..life is weird...

Re: Why did you pick the piano? [Re: OscoBosco] #2916220 11/25/19 02:01 PM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
We had an old upright in the living room that no one played or admitted to know how to play...., with sheet music in the piano bench. There were no family complaints when I started just playing around with it as a pre-school kid: really simple improvisations and spontaneous melodies as a sound experiment.

I was hooked; not only because of the sounds the piano made but also because of the mysterious printing on the musical scores. It was like finding a book and not knowing to read..... I had to know! I begged for lessons and was allowed to take them as long as I paid attention and followed instructions. My Mother warned that she would not waste money by paying if I didn’t follow the rules. The beginning of a long saga.....

I did learn other instruments but the piano has always been ‘the one’

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Why did you pick the piano? [Re: OscoBosco] #2916264 11/25/19 03:20 PM
AaronSF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My oldest sister (9 1/2 years older than me) studied piano. I remember sitting under the piano as a 3-year-old and listening to her play Brahms. I thought, "I want to be able to do that." And so it came to pass.

August Förster 215
Re: Why did you pick the piano? [Re: OscoBosco] #2916289 11/25/19 04:09 PM
WhoDwaldi Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I was fascinated by my elementary school's music teacher's playing (this was the early 70s). She was a great singer who also played the piano well. So, I pestered my patents for an instrument.

My mother adored piano music, but expressed some reservations about my being too young (at seven 😁) and possibly not sticking with it, so my parents bought for me a cheap little electric organ. I had at it with the "play by numbers books" that came with the organ (and felt like I wasn't getting anywhere on my own), but they were somehow satisfied and bought a spinet piano for me, and I started lessons. I really clicked with my teacher and her method.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Re: Why did you pick the piano? [Re: WhoDwaldi] #2916646 11/26/19 02:25 PM
R
Rania Offline
R
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
My mother adored piano music, but expressed some reservations about my being too young (at seven 😁).

Same here! Before I ever encountered a piano, I wanted to be a singer, but then my grandfather gifted us an upright. It was somehow taken for granted that only my oldest sister would start lessons- she was his favorite, and at seven I was considered too young. But I would watch her lessons and then sit and try on my own. Then in school I started coming up to the teacher during the weekly music class (which was basically a unison choir of national songs) and ask her if she could let me try to play what we just sang. She told my parents, and they agreed that I could start lessons too.
I am eternally grateful to her, although I will always remember how she accompanied each and any song we sang with a C major broken chord throughout.

"Love has to be the starting point- love of music. It is one of my firmest convictions that love always produces some knowledge, while knowledge only rarely produces something similar to love."
Arthur Schnabel

Re: Why did you pick the piano? [Re: CharlesXX] #2916792 11/26/19 08:05 PM
Sibylle Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I honestly don't remember how it happened. We were a musical family, sang in church- and school choirs and all, the lot of us (I have three older siblings). But none of us had any formal musical education. There was no literature or classical music in our house.

What I do remember is that I wanted to learn the piano from when I was about 6. We had no money, and rentals weren't an option back then, so my parents were understandably reluctant. When I was 8, my parents were sick of my constant begging and I got a piano and lessons. Unlike many other passions that have come and gone in my life, this one has stood the test of time smile

Last edited by Sibylle; 11/26/19 08:06 PM.

Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Re: Why did you pick the piano? [Re: OscoBosco] #2916979 11/27/19 10:59 AM
R
RubberFingers Offline
R
My parents were full time musicians, organ/choir director and violist. I asked my dad for piano lessons starting about age 6, and about 8 he finally started. That continued until going to college. In 7th grade he decided I’d do organ lessons also, which was not my idea. Gotta admit playing a large pipe organ is a power trip and fun, but I wasn’t into it the same way.

All my siblings practiced an hour a day, 6 days a week. I added another hour at the organ.

Gave it all up in college and returned to piano 20 years later. The skills came back. Have only played the organ a few times but think about it...

Re: Why did you pick the piano? [Re: OscoBosco] #2920063 12/05/19 08:05 AM
JdhPiano924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I was a kid, and piano lessons got one out of class. I hated sitting through classes as at the time they were insanely boring. So I talked my parents into piano lessons. The passion came later.

Re: Why did you pick the piano? [Re: OscoBosco] #2920639 12/07/19 10:55 AM
E
Evan70 Offline
E
The piano (and other keyboards) is the only instrument (with the possible exception of guitar) on which you can play a complete, complex arrangement of a piece BY YOURSELF. No need to find accompaniment or band members. Its also invaluable as accompaniment or as a rehearsal instrument.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rebuilt Steinways (was)? PFKAS?
by Maestro Lennie - 02/19/20 07:19 AM
Yamaha YDP s52 or Casio CDP 220R
by Love4Music - 02/18/20 09:11 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,056
Posts2,927,366
Members96,039
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission