2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, crab89, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

As a sampling, I ordered:

Bach
Little Preludes and Fughettas
Item Number: BA.BA05238

Inventions and Sinfonias BWV 772-801
Item Number: BA.BA05241

Debussy
Suite bergamasque
Item Number: BA.BA08769

Satie
Ogives / Gymnopedies
Item Number: BA.BA10806

In addition the to 20% discount, I used the coupon/promo code "KEYS19" and that got me the full 28% discount from Sheet Music Plus, So with tax and shipping, it came out to $53.23, which I think is a decent price for 4 nice music books. I will compare these with my Henle and Weiner since I have the Inventions/Sinfonias in both Henle and Weiner too.

Wow, looks like a little early Christmas present for yourself. Once you get them, let us what you think of it vs your other editions. That will be interesting.

Blüthner model 6
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sidokar
Wow, looks like a little early Christmas present for yourself. Once you get them, let us what you think of it vs your other editions. That will be interesting.

Yes, it will be quite the treat. I did indicate they could put it on the slow-boat so that they can hopefully arrive after my flat renovation is done so that I will have space for them smile

BTW, since I will now have 3 different editions of the Inventions/Sinfonia (Henle, Weiner, Bärenreiter), I'm now actively looking to collect some more urtext editions of these as you saw from my note about the 2015 Peters edition, but I think I'd want to have fingering suggestions to be a really practical and useful edition, as it will be a long time before I can figure out fingering on my own. So based on your comments on the other thread, I think I will say no to the 2015 Peters edition, but look around for other urtext with fingering for those pieces.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S

BTW, since I will now have 3 different editions of the Inventions/Sinfonia (Henle, Weiner, Bärenreiter), I'm now actively looking to collect some more urtext editions of these as you saw from my note about the 2015 Peters edition, but I think I'd want to have fingering suggestions to be a really practical and useful edition, as it will be a long time before I can figure out fingering on my own. So based on your comments on the other thread, I think I will say no to the 2015 Peters edition, but look around for other urtext with fingering for those pieces.

If you are looking for the modern ones, you can get the ABRSM edition by Richard Jones. It has both the fingering and the suggestion for the ornaments. There are some good comments also.

The old Busoni has a lot of excellent comments quite worth the reading, fingering, ornaments and articulation, not too romantic. A great musician who understood Bach well. Its on imslp but you can also get a printed version from Schirmer.

Blüthner model 6
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Just to note the sale on the Bärenreiter have improved to 32% off with an early Black Friday coupon ("EARLY2019"). Sadly, I missed that but did get 28% off in total.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Sidokar

As a sampling, I ordered:

Bach
Little Preludes and Fughettas
Item Number: BA.BA05238

Inventions and Sinfonias BWV 772-801
Item Number: BA.BA05241

Debussy
Suite bergamasque
Item Number: BA.BA08769

Satie
Ogives / Gymnopedies
Item Number: BA.BA10806

In addition the to 20% discount, I used the coupon/promo code "KEYS19" and that got me the full 28% discount from Sheet Music Plus, So with tax and shipping, it came out to $53.23, which I think is a decent price for 4 nice music books. I will compare these with my Henle and Weiner since I have the Inventions/Sinfonias in both Henle and Weiner too.

If you do not have a copy Schumann's "Album for the Youth",it would be well worth it.These consist
of not only easy pieces but some are about gr 7 or perhaps a bit beyond .
Even just for sight reading practice an excellent group.of pieces,many quite beautiful.
Another is Kinderscenen which is not really just written for children but decribes them.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Just to note the sale on the Bärenreiter have improved to 32% off with an early Black Friday coupon ("EARLY2019"). Sadly, I missed that but did get 28% off in total.

I want the Bärenreiter edition of the Mozart concertos. Now I have no excuse. I'll probably get three of them (I already have some published by Schirmer).

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Bärenreiter's Rameau collection is a classic.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I just realised that the reduction you mentioned Tyrone is on SheetMusicPlus and not Bärenreiter's website. frown

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf
I just realised that the reduction you mentioned Tyrone is on SheetMusicPlus and not Bärenreiter's website. frown

Oh, you can't order from SMP because you are in Ireland... Oops.

But! if SMP can do such a discount, there might be some other music reseller in Europe doing it as well.

[Linked Image]

R
R
I'm supposed to get the "performing-scholarly-critical edition" of the Bärenreiter Bach cello suites in the mail today; it's supposed to be seven volumes in a folder. It was from SMP as well but I don't know if it was discounted or not. It was a pretty good deal though. The copy I had was just a single-volume performing edition, so I'm looking forward to this more comprehensive setup. Music sure has a way of sucking up your money.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

Oh, you can't order from SMP because you are in Ireland... Oops.

But! if SMP can do such a discount, there might be some other music reseller in Europe doing it as well.

I can actually order, but it takes forever to get here with the cheaper postage options. It might be cheaper to just buy from Bärenreiter directly. For an order over around $40 I could be stung for fees. I'll have a look and see which option is best.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Come to think of it, most printed music is VAT free, and import duty isn't charged on shipments worth less than €150.

Last edited by johnstaf; 11/25/19 09:40 AM.
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member

The sale on Sheet Music Plus has improved to 36% discount total, plus free shipping (when I ordered, it was 28% discount budget shipping, but not free).

So I think I will order the two Schuman books Lady Bird suggested above (43 Piano Pieces for the Young Op. 68 & Kinderszenen Op. 15). I'm thinking of adding Forest Scenes Op. 82 to that. But even so, I'd need to add about $45 more in music books to get the discount.

Anything other "nice to haves" for the intermediate / advanced-intermediate level? Further suggestions? Collections would get me there, but those are all too far above my level to be useful for the foreseeable future.

[Linked Image]

R
R
Both books (or either book) of The Well Tempered Clavier.

B
B
Barenreiter makes some fantastic books IMO. I have several of their Rachmaninoff books and the Scriabin Sonatas - they are expensive but worth it. That said, the spines leave a bit to be desired. I've had mine re-bound with spiral since I prefer to play out of books that easily stay open.

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Well, it turns out waiting was the right thing. For Cyber Monday, which ends in 2hrs 45mins, Sheet Music Plus removed the $75 minimum purchase to get the 20% discount, which was on top of the 20% on the Barenreiter Urtext and they kept the free shipping.

So I ended buying:

Schumann
Forest Scenes, Op. 82
Scenes from Childhood, Op. 15
43 Piano Pieces for the Young op. 68

Beethoven
Sonata for Pianoforte, Op. 27: No. 1 in E-flat Major ‘Quasi una fantasia' / No. 2 in c-sharp minor ‘Moonlight Sonata’

All told, it was just $30.00.

[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I think I will say no to the 2015 Peters edition, but look around for other urtext with fingering for those pieces.

I'm surprised that's so urtext as to be completely unfingered, but I looked it up, and it is!

Do you know about Alfred's version of Bach's Inventions and Sinfonias, ed. by Willard Palmer? Excellent with good fingerings, suggested written-out realizations of ornaments, extensive notes, etc.

https://www.alfred.com/j-s-bach-inventions-sinfonias-two-three-part-inventions/p/00-606C/

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
Do you know about Alfred's version of Bach's Inventions and Sinfonias, ed. by Willard Palmer? Excellent with good fingerings, suggested written-out realizations of ornaments, extensive notes, etc.

Some of those Alfred Masterworks Editions are great. I like the ones edited by Nancy Bricard. Her Gaspard de la Nuit is particularly good, as she discusses possible errors in the de facto standard Durand edition, as well as insights provided by those who knew Ravel.

Last edited by johnstaf; 12/03/19 06:50 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I often buy Alfred editions just for the fingerings. They are relatively cheap compared to Henle, Wiener Urtext, etc. I prefer the fingerings (where present) in the Henle editions, however. The heavily and idiosyncratically edited Schirmer editions sometimes have some very interesting fingerings as well.

I bought Debussy's "Children's Corner" and "Suite Bergamasque" in the Barenreiter editions during this sale. They are very good, with half the book devoted to discussing publishing history and various editions used to create the Barenreiter editions...similar to other Urtext publishers. I love having all that detail and knowing exactly why various editorial decisions were made. It appeals to the OCD in me! crazy

August Förster 215
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Bärenreiter's Rameau collection is a classic.

I second that.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission