2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scirocco
I bought his “Beato Book” a while back (which I believe is closely related to the ear training course) and a lot of it is stuff where I think “that’s interesting, but is knowing the name of that chord voicing going to make me a better pianist?” But then I have no interest or aptitude for improvising.

If you bought his book - or one of his books - was it organized? In other words, the 2nd video I watched - admittedly skipping a bit for lack of time - jumps all over the place. Sometimes introductions don't reflect what is being introduced. Is his material that he sells more organized than that? Can it be followed? (whether useful to one's purposes is a different question, that have answered, I think).

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
That second video was a late night live-stream answering viewer ad-hoc questions. I don't think he has a video pitching the ear training program with examples and screen shots but he should; the website has some details.

Below are brief music theory videos that provide a flavour for his teaching style. These youtube videos frequently summarise content from his Beato Book.

Last edited by newer player; 11/24/19 01:01 AM.
S
S
Originally Posted by keystring
If you bought his book - or one of his books - was it organized?

Superficially it seems well organised - divided up into quite a large number of small topics. But I haven't studied music at an advanced level, so I don't have a yardstick to judge whether the structure and content and sequence are useful or appropriate.

One thing that Rick has said is that the ear training course is college level (he was a professor back in the day). It is a lot more advanced than the free phone apps you can get. The later parts will be very, very difficult (polychords and so on). Hard to say how useful that will be to the people hanging out in a piano beginners forum.

Last edited by scirocco; 11/24/19 02:29 AM.

Yamaha U1. Yamaha P-45.
M
M
Originally Posted by scirocco
Originally Posted by keystring
If you bought his book - or one of his books - was it organized?

Superficially it seems well organised - divided up into quite a large number of small topics. But I haven't studied music at an advanced level, so I don't have a yardstick to judge whether the structure and content and sequence are useful or appropriate.

One thing that Rick has said is that the ear training course is college level (he was a professor back in the day). It is a lot more advanced than the free phone apps you can get. The later parts will be very, very difficult (polychords and so on). Hard to say how useful that will be to the people hanging out in a piano beginners forum.

Plus, when you write a book, you have an editor that can help organize that for you. But doing a video, you may or may not have that kind of guidance. I'm thinking that this is more useful for people into jazz, improvising, composing, etc.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
I got an app that does that "unique" stuff with like 5 bucks. If one can't improve their ears with that kind of app, the 200 bucks or the 3 million bucks method won't help either. Also, if you master that 5 bucks app, which pretty much means you're ears are freaking good, and you still think you want more, maybe then you can start spending 200 bucks, but still you shouldn't, unless there are demo videos for each chapter, so at least you have some idea what to expect. Throwing 200 bucks at a youtube celebrity à l'aveugle is pretty silly.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mosotti
I got an app that does that "unique" stuff with like 5 bucks.

What app is that?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
M
M
I'd like to add that I do think he knows his stuff, and that it appears to be a decent approach. But looking at the itinerary, it just may be overkill for many classical pianists since most would only need the first half or 1/3.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Plus, when you write a book, you have an editor that can help organize that for you. But doing a video, you may or may not have that kind of guidance. I'm thinking that this is more useful for people into jazz, improvising, composing, etc.

Somewhat along the same lines: When I was in teacher's college, we learned to organize lesson plans. You had a large module that might span 2 or 3 weeks where you are teaching a broad topic, and you divided that into smaller topics, building and reinforcing. You figured out what things the student needs to know or find out - things you might not think about since you know it so well yourself - and how do you bring this to them. You then had your daily lesson plans within the 3 week module. A good teacher isn't tied to these things, but there's an outline. This structure works well for classroom teaching. One-on-one you can be much more responsive and flexible.

Teaching on-line is different again. You are not bound by real time: your video lesson lives on, can be viewed years later, and can be studied in sections that are viewed over and over, or fast-forwarded and scrolled back. You have no idea whether a student watching your stuff got it, or is hopelessly lost. I've studied a lot of on-line things by now (or glanced) - many don't do it well. Some just ramble and wave their hands about (perturbing if you're trying to follow those hands). Beato is actually better than most in that regard. I think (or heard?) that he is used to teaching advanced students or students who already know things, who have a foot in the door of improvising - and that he does it live. If teaching live, you get your cues from the student - build on what they show they can do - back off with a puzzled look etc.

Going off on a tangent: I'm working through Seymour Fink's course right now. I bought it 10 years ago and didn't know enough to work with it. It is so tightly organized to the point of nerd-tom. Every detail is thought through: every word or gesture is preplanned: a "lesson" may last 30 seconds or less but may take weeks to get totally into your system. A student being overly diligent and too narrow in the details might actually dig themselves into a hole, esp. with no feedback. But it works for me, at this time.

Another one: This was a violin teacher who built her platform before platforms (Artistworks is a platform) existed. It is superbly formatted, and she has a programmer help her. There is an index with all topics and subtopics, with hyperlinks to the video lessons, and they relate to each other. If you are a "returner", or a "beginner", or need "remediation" specific lesson titles light up in the index as "these are the ones you probably should study". This one is a work of genius in terms of organization. When she was there, she was also getting feedback from the group of students registered there, and tweaked her work accordingly. This one is pure genius in the way it was organized, and the knowledge brought into it.

In short: teaching on-line is a new format, and not easy.

M
M
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by Mosotti
I got an app that does that "unique" stuff with like 5 bucks.

What app is that?

I got a bundle Ear Trainer + Note Trainer + Pulse(metronome) on Apple Store.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I use this one at present: tonedear.com
I'm always on my PC, so that works for me. It's not fancy, but works well. And it's free.

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
V
Vkk Offline
V
Originally Posted by Jytte
I use this one at present: tonedear.com
I'm always on my PC, so that works for me. It's not fancy, but works well. And it's free.

I have used tonedear and think it's a great resource. A Jazz/composition teacher recommended the David Burge Relative ear training Super course. I found that useful as well since it has a specific approach in ingraining sounds but it's hard to find used and quite expensive new and a more involved methodology than tonedear. Not sure how Beato's would compare to that.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission