2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#291519 01/06/07 09:01 PM
T
OP Offline
T
So after all of the topics and posts, here is my update.

I have decided upon the Nordiska Model G 5'5" in Ebony black. In March, they updated their entire Grand piano line to the Master series standards, including focused beam structure and a nose flange.

I have contacted an RPT and it is being checked out for me, hopefully this week.

I will report their findings....

As of 1/13/07 owner of Nordiska 5'5" Model G

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Sounds good! Is this a new piano? If so, the tech inspection probably wasn't necessary, but it won't hurt.

Polished or satin ebony?

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I only played one Nordiska grand but was very impressed with the tone. Sounds like a good choice. Congratulations. While a tech inspection is normally not done when purchasing a new piano I actually think it can be a good idea. $100 or so is not a lot to pay to insure the piano you are paying thousands of dollars for has no issues. The tech may also be able to tell you what further work the dealer should take before you purchase the piano. Good luck.

Rich

Retired at the beach
Grotrian 192

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
T
OP Offline
T
I know it is not normally done, but given the fact that I have no ear and little knowledge, the tech is basically standing in for me as the designated "knowledgable" consumer. Also, as was said any problems can be addressed before I fork out thousands of dollars.

Interestingly enough, the salesman was not happy about it one bit...which to me may put up a red flag. Maybe I'm just stepping on toes normally left alone. The salesman and store were specifically recommended to me on this forum. I am curious how the techs report will turn out...

Tonychar, I have a 7 ft. Story and Clark whch is the same as the Nordisca.They are both made by the Dongbei company. Mine has the focused beam structure that gives it a great tone. I love mine. Good luck and keep us posted. smile

proud to be clean and sober. the piano is my drug of choice!
T
OP Offline
T
The RPT checked out the Nordiska Model G 5'5" grand, and other than about an hour's work on a few small regulation issues, the piano checked out.

Actually, he was surprised at the quality and features of the piano. His general comment was that "It is nice to see that one of the Chinese Piano Manufacturers is listening to all of the complaints about Chinese pianos."

He recommended that we upgrade to the 6'1" due to the greater bass, but we are going to go for the 5'5". I argued with my spouse about getting the larger piano, but once we sort of laid out the size of the piano in the room, the 6'1" would just be too big...once I saw it, I had to agree with her.

They are asking for $7600.00 for the piano, and I don't want to haggle too much...he's already offered a second tuning. I will go in Saturday to try and finalize things..

Btw All of the Nordiskas now have the focused beam construction, and have been updated to the "master series" level.

M
M
Thanks for the update, it's nice to know where folks end up.

You went about this the right way-look how your knowledge has improved over just a few weeks, and think about how much more piano you're getting for your $$ than where you started from, and still in the ballpark of your original post!

Good job, congrats, and good luck sealing the deal!

T
OP Offline
T
Martin,

Thanks for all of your very valuable advice through this process, and thanks to all of the rest of you. I didn't realize that I had managed to accompish staying so close to my original post. With tax and delivery, we're looking at $8500, about 1500 over the original budget, but considerably below the $15000 I was considering spending.

One of our criteria was that we deal with a local retailer if we bought new, and this did limit our choices to about 6 stores, and maybe a dozen brands. Ultimately, I still believe that a further search would have made no difference, because the Nordiska is such a great value for the money.

I also recieved a number of e-mails and PM's from other members going back about 2 years who bought Nordiskas. I sought them out and contacted them through this forum, and every single one of them were happy a year or so later. Also their tuners/techs were also complimentary about the Nordiskas.

Add to this the fact that the Nordiska product line has been improved over the last year with the focused beam construction and a number of other improvements, and it seems that overall Nordiska is a much improved product, doing their best to rise above the Chinese piano stigma, and they are truly making a decent piano within their price range.

And on top of everything else, my daughter preferred this piano above them all. She was not even in agreement with me getting the 6'1" Nordiska, because she completely fell in love with the sound of the Nordiska 5'5" piano at the dealership.

So let me say thanks again to this great forum. I have spent at least 50 hours scouring over the posts at Piano World. Specifically, this forum led me to the Nordiska brand, to the specific retailer, and even to the specific salesperson. The forum also prevented me from buying from Costco or eBay, or any other piano that we hadn't actually touched. It led me to The Piano Book and also the decision to find an RPT to look at the piano. (Yes, I will always have an RPT look at a piano, new or used. This should be on the "must do" list for any novice or first-time buyer!)

All of your posts gave me sound and important advice, and now I am going into this decision with the confidence that I am making an informed choice.

Thanks Everyone!!

tony, fantastic!

Your daughter is very lucky!

I am happy for your whole family.

Congrats, and enjoy!!

sleepy

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
tony,

I think you will like your new piano. I played a nicely prepped 5'5" a couple years ago and thought it was a very nice piano. Good pick!

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

Congratulations, tony! We will forever hold you up as an example of how it IS possible to spend LESS than your initial budget and still end up with a piano that meets all your expectations and desires.

p.s. please post some photos if you get the chance. smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your new piano, tony. I will second what Michael said. I, too, played a well prepped 5'5 Nordiska a few months ago which was to be delivered to its new owner the following day. It had a beautiful tone, particularly in the treble. It was bright, but very musical. The treble seemed to sparkle or shimmer. Unlike most brighter pianos, though, I did not find its tone objectionable, twangy, or metallic. It's a very nice instrument, and your price is about what I was quoted. Enjoy!

--Dennis

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Congratulations on your new piano! Sounds like a fine instrument and the fact that you came in under budget on a piano you love must be doubly satisfying. Please post some pictures when your piano arrives!

Greg
L
L
Congratulations! Just a thought - did you consider trading in one of the free tunings for a voicing session? I did just that when I got my piano as the piano was a bit too bright for our room. The dealer was pretty nice as in the end when we phoned up for our 2nd tuning, he gave it to us for free in addition to the free voicing session.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission