2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, benkeys, 17 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Ok, so now that I've had the piano repositioned, I'm thinking about where the tree should go. Based on the room/layout and the front window etc., I'm thinking that the best spot for the tree is in the space created by the curve of the case, in between the piano and the red chair:

[Linked Image]

We have a 7-foot tree, I think it takes up about 4 feet at the bottom (widest part), so there aren't a lot of other options for where to put it. Well, I supposed I could move the rocking chair over into the spot b/w the red chair and the piano, and move the castle artpiece into another room temporarily:

[Linked Image]

I'm not sure this second option is a good one though because there's a doorway there, and the tree would sort of fill up the whole room, whereas if it's by the red chair, the rest of the room is still open the way it is now.

Anyway, here are the two options:
1) tree in the curve of the piano
2) tree on wall opposite the red chair.

Do you think option 1 have a big impact on the sound of the piano? Am I overthinking? I do hope to do some recording during the holidays, so that's one reason I'm concerned about the sound... But I also want to enjoy the tree and will have people over etc.

Anything else I should take into consideration? (It's an artificial tree, so no watering etc.)

TIA!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
It looks as though you don't have much choice; the tree should go between the piano and the red chair. Depending on actual space available, closer to the chair than to the piano.

As far as sound is concerned: Yes, I think you are overthinking it. If you have no (or not much choice), live with it for the duration.

When I lived in a second floor condo in Pennsylvania with a small living room (12' x 15'), I decided to put the artificial tree outside on the balcony off the living room and I decorated it only with miniature lights. That way, I could enjoy it from the inside and the neighbours in the cul-de-sac could also enjoy it as they passed by. What is on the outside of your living room window?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
What is on the outside of your living room window?

Our front porch... I don't know if there's an outlet out there, will look later. Hmm, that's an interesting idea, but I don't think it will work here. Plus I want my tree inside so I can have all the ornaments on it! smile

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
My understanding is the tree will make your trills, mordents, turns, and other ornaments shine.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hang it upside down from the ceiling. The four foot diameter of the bottom will not disturb anyone up there (unless you are 8 feet tall)!

Plus, you might win a prize from some modern, avant garde, home decorating magazine publisher! laugh

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
You do get these modern artificial trees ,painted silver or silvery blue, no leaves just bare branches
with ornaments or lights. This would not obscure the piano.If anyone should knock the tree over while carol singing ,not a calamity.,easy to pick up !
Have a lovely Christmas with your wonderful new piano ShiroKuro.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Where will you put your guests?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD

I guess they'll have to stand out on the porch...

Kidding!! whome

If the tree goes on the rug between the red chair and the piano, there will still be all the floor space (that doesn't really show in the photo) and also there is a family room off of the piano room. When we have guests over, we re-arrange the furniture in the family room so that it functions as a gathering space, and there's a counter there where we lay out food and drinks etc. so it works pretty well.

But this is another reason why not to put the tree where the rocking chair is, it would really be in the way!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
The tree's impact on my piano is that it tends to produce more festive seasonal favorites! And the voicing changes ever so slightly, with an almost imperceptible hint of sleigh bells. smile

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro

Just pop the piano out on the porch for a while. Then you'll have room for both the guests and the tree smile

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
The tree's impact on my piano is that it tends to produce more festive seasonal favorites! And the voicing changes ever so slightly, with an almost imperceptible hint of sleigh bells. smile

3hearts

gwing, grin

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Overthinking! ... And I thought I had a problem. But, either way should be good for Ode to Joy. 2hearts

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Overthinking!

My forté whome

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
You wont know what the tree does to the acoustics until you try it. There is a chance that the room sounds better with the tree in there.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by gwing
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro

Just pop the piano out on the porch for a while. Then you'll have room for both the guests and the tree smile

The guests are going on the porch ! Her "baby" will stay inside. Christmas pudding and blankets will be supplied.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I have never noticed any perceptive difference in sound when I put up the Christmas tree next to my piano. Of course, every ones rooms are set up different.

[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
OT, my Channuka menorah doesn't have any effect on the sound.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
OT, my Channuka menorah doesn't have any effect on the sound.

So it's just like a Christmas tree then. grin

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Y'all can make fun of me as much as you want, but remember, I just had the piano re-positioned so that the lid opens to the long side of the room, and that made a huge change -- for the better -- in the sound of the piano, and I absolutely love how it sounds now.

And now here I am, contemplating putting a 7-foot tall object right in the curve of the piano. This object is made of plastic and metal, and will be covered with smaller objects that are plastic, metal, and glass. The base of the tree is about 4 feet across at the widest point. The space between the piano and the red tree is barely five feet. So the tree will go right in the space where most of the piano's sound comes out. Why wouldn't it affect the sound?

It's a temporary change, so any negative impact will also be temporary, and that alone makes the "overthinking" charge understandable. But the whole point of getting this grand, and then having it re-positioned, is so I can enjoy the sound of it. It's only natural that I worry about something which would diminish that.

It's not like I'm defensive or anything though.

Ok, carry on. whome

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ShiroKuro, here are my thoughts...

And, keep in mind that I'm no expert when it comes to much of anything. But based on what little knowledge I have of physics, any additional molecular mass in your music room will have some sound absorbency qualities. Certain things have more sound absorbing effects that others.

I do think your Christmas Tree, with decorations, and presents under the tree, would indeed have some impact on the piano's sound, based on what you hear now. What that impact might be, or how to measure it might be more of a scientific calculation. In other words, you really won't know till you put your tree up and then play the piano and see how it sounds! smile

As far as overthinking things, yea, I'm that way too. A lot of us are.

I keep thinking about how beautiful your piano/music room is, and what a lovely time and scrumptious atmosphere you all will have when you put your tree up and enjoy the Holiday festivities!

Wish I could be there and join in the fun!!! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission