Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
94 registered members (accordeur, anamnesis, anotherscott, ars3niy, Belger1900, Apache, 20 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 553 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Artist Works #2913775 11/19/19 11:24 AM
TomLC Online Content OP
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I’m thinking of enrolling in Artist Works, George Whitty Jazz. I like the video exchange method rather than live coaching over Zoom. And I need a focused learning path. Anyone have experience with Artist Works?

[Linked Image]

Novice with a Novus.....?
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Artist Works [Re: TomLC] #2913792 11/19/19 12:19 PM
TomLC Online Content OP
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Actually after watching Hugh Sung’s introduction, I might join his program instead.

[Linked Image]

Re: Artist Works [Re: TomLC] #2913795 11/19/19 12:24 PM
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
D
George Whitty is straight jazz (bebop oriented) while Hugh Sung is relaxed classical / pop (reading music).

It just depends on where you wish to go.

Whitty is fairly difficult while Sung is relatively easy.

If you want to play real jazz go with Whitty.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used)
Re: Artist Works [Re: dmd] #2913800 11/19/19 12:31 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd
George Whitty is straight jazz (bebop oriented) while Hugh Sung is relaxed classical / pop (reading music).

Do you happen to know how quickly Hugh and Whitty respond on submitted videos?

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Artist Works [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2913801 11/19/19 12:36 PM
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by dmd

I am not sure, anymore.

If was a while back when I did that.

Usually those artists have a "window" of time each month (or sooner) when they respond to submitted videos so you have to submit them just prior to that "window".

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used)
Re: Artist Works [Re: dmd] #2913805 11/19/19 12:41 PM
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by dmd

I am not sure, anymore.

Usually those artists have a "window" of time each month (or sooner) when they respond to submitted videos so you have to submit them just prior to that "window".

That makes it sound like they are only responding to one video a month. Is that because Christie Peery's Artist Works channel, she can respond to about 4 a month. She might have a window each week though.

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Artist Works [Re: TomLC] #2913812 11/19/19 12:50 PM
TomLC Online Content OP
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Watching them both on YouTube, Hugh’s classes look very beginner. However, he says he teachs all levels. I might try three months with him since I can submit a video and see what he says.

[Linked Image]

Re: Artist Works [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2913813 11/19/19 12:51 PM
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by dmd

I am not sure, anymore.

That makes it sound like they are only responding to one video a month. Is that because Christie Peery's Artist Works channel, she can respond to about 4 a month. She might have a window each week though.

It may be a bit better than 1 a month. I don't remember.

However, I also do not remember it being any particular problem.

Don

Re: Artist Works [Re: TomLC] #2913815 11/19/19 12:57 PM
TomLC Online Content OP
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
It depends on your membership. 3 months = 5. 6 months = 12. Annual = unlimited. And it is only $279.

[Linked Image]

Re: Artist Works [Re: TomLC] #2913816 11/19/19 01:02 PM
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TomLC
It depends on your membership. 3 months = 5. 6 months = 12. Annual = unlimited. And it is only $279.

Well, that is why I was asking. Because you can only submit one video at a time on Artist Works. And Christie Peery, for example, takes about a week to respond. So that means effectively, unlimited = ~4 video/month for her course. So I was wondering how often the other two piano instructors respond every month. Because if they only review videos once a month, then unlimited would still be about once per month.

Re: Artist Works [Re: TomLC] #2913829 11/19/19 01:27 PM
AndrewJCW Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The response is slow and 90% of the time will be just a bit of text from what I remember. I think it’s very rare they will make a video reply to you. The real value of artist works is seeing all the other students submissions and seeing all the feedback given to them. It’s like sitting in on 50 lessons with other students your level. That is very valuable and is something you don’t even get with real 1 on 1 lessons.

The jazz stuff was just not impressive to me as a complete, well rounded method. The instructor is amazing and the lessons are really high quality but they are sparse and focus mainly on bebop soloing. To actually say it’s a complete method that can take you from beginner to advanced they should really have triple the amount of lessons they do. The Classical Peery course is a lot better in this regard, but has a very rigid and set structure you have to work through. You even have to go and buy the books she uses (which is actually quite expensive and slow and annoying in Australia as it’s not published here). I did not try the pop course at all.

This was from my brief experience with it 3 years ago so I’d be interested to see if it has changed much in that time.

Last edited by AndrewJCW; 11/19/19 01:28 PM.
Re: Artist Works [Re: TomLC] #2913833 11/19/19 01:29 PM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I tried Peery a couple of years ago. I had a 50% off deal coupon around Christmas and signed up. But a month later I got a new local teacher and decided to scratch ArtistWorks.

There is another forum member here who was doing Hugh's course, "Michael." I think this is how he ended up getting a Cunningham Piano.

Last edited by bSharp(C)yclist; 11/19/19 01:29 PM.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Artist Works [Re: AndrewJCW] #2913836 11/19/19 01:37 PM
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AndrewJCW
The Classical Peery course is a lot better in this regard, but has a very rigid and set structure you have to work through. You even have to go and buy the books she uses (which is actually quite expensive and slow and annoying in Australia as it’s not published here). I did not try the pop course at all.

For those that prefer the video exchange method, there is one more classical online course worth considering now, and that is PCA. PCA has a feedback piano teacher from the USA who reviews your submitted videos, separate from the main piano teacher who recorded all the PCA lessons. PCA is set up so that you can get feedback once per week to videos submitted. No books are required for PCA and the course is comprehensive to an upper-intermediate level.

Re: Artist Works [Re: AndrewJCW] #2913864 11/19/19 03:07 PM
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
D
The response is slow and 90% of the time will be just a bit of text from what I remember. I think it’s very rare they will make a video reply to you. The real value of artist works is seeing all the other students submissions and seeing all the feedback given to them. It’s like sitting in on 50 lessons with other students your level. That is very valuable and is something you don’t even get with real 1 on 1 lessons.

The jazz stuff was just not impressive to me as a complete, well rounded method. The instructor is amazing and the lessons are really high quality but they are sparse and focus mainly on bebop soloing. To actually say it’s a complete method that can take you from beginner to advanced they should really have triple the amount of lessons they do. The Classical Peery course is a lot better in this regard, but has a very rigid and set structure you have to work through. You even have to go and buy the books she uses (which is actually quite expensive and slow and annoying in Australia as it’s not published here). I did not try the pop course at all.

This was from my brief experience with it 3 years ago so I’d be interested to see if it has changed much in that time.

I was a member with Whitty a few years ago and the responses were always with a video and quite thorough.

Hugh Sung also with videos and thorough.

Responses can be a bit slow at times.

Whitty is definitely bebop solo oriented and is not a "general/all encompassing" jazz piano course.

Don

Re: Artist Works [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2913876 11/19/19 03:31 PM
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
D
The Classical Peery course is a lot better in this regard, but has a very rigid and set structure you have to work through. You even have to go and buy the books she uses (which is actually quite expensive and slow and annoying in Australia as it’s not published here). I did not try the pop course at all.

For those that prefer the video exchange method, there is one more classical online course worth considering now, and that is PCA. PCA has a feedback piano teacher from the USA who reviews your submitted videos, separate from the main piano teacher who recorded all the PCA lessons. PCA is set up so that you can get feedback once per week to videos submitted. No books are required for PCA and the course is comprehensive to an upper-intermediate level.

Have you participated in this course ?

Don

Re: Artist Works [Re: dmd] #2913881 11/19/19 03:44 PM
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd

Animisha has participated in this course for the last 10 months. She's made some comments about it on this forum. Do you have some questions about it?

Re: Artist Works [Re: dmd] #2913884 11/19/19 03:45 PM
TomLC Online Content OP
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd

I was a member with Whitty a few years ago and the responses were always with a video and quite thorough.

Hugh Sung also with videos and thorough.

Responses can be a bit slow at times.

Whitty is definitely bebop solo oriented and is not a "general/all encompassing" jazz piano course.

Don, that was the impression I took away from his introductory video. I’m glad you opined.

[Linked Image]

Re: Artist Works [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2913909 11/19/19 04:43 PM
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by dmd

Animisha has participated in this course for the last 10 months. She's made some comments about it on this forum. Do you have some questions about it?

No questions.

I just wanted to find out if you were speaking from personal experience or not.

I looked at some of the advertising videos.

It would not be my choice.

I could not handle all the incessant talking on her part.

She talks and talks and talks and talks ….. just steady …. and her voice (at least to me) is annoying.

Just me mind you.

Maybe others can deal with it.

Don

Re: Artist Works [Re: dmd] #2913916 11/19/19 04:55 PM
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd
She talks and talks and talks and talks ….. just steady …. and her voice (at least to me) is annoying.

Just me mind you.

Maybe others can deal with it.]

You are not the first to mention this, and you won't be the last! 😉

Ilinca reminds me of a teacher I had in school. This teacher would stand in front of the chalkboard (in the days before whiteboards) and lecture. And she'd pick up a piece of chalk and make as if she was going to write something, get lost in some verbal elaboration and put the chalk back down. Some of my classmates had a little pool going on about whether she would actually write anything on the board or not. Sometimes she'd write our assignment for next class. Often she wouldn't even write that. I remember coming into the classroom and seeing on the board some information about the exam, and wondering, "Who wrote that???" 🤣

Originally Posted by dmd
I just wanted to find out if you were speaking from personal experience or not.

All this said, I've been a PCA subscriber for a long time although I don't use her material myself since I have a piano teacher for lessons, and I do think Ilinca's instruction is top rate for classical piano, and far more technique focused than other online teachers. The reason can talk about a single piece for 30 minutes is because she jumps right into detailed discussion of technique to be used in playing the piece and demonstrates this. Some other instructors offer very light discussion of technique and they might only spend 5 mins on the same piece - mostly a demonstration of how it is to be played. This is a big difference.

Re: Artist Works [Re: TomLC] #2913925 11/19/19 05:12 PM
AndrewJCW Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yeah I don't find anything enticing about the piano career academy website or presentation. At very best it looks like it was done on the cheap 10 years ago. Maybe it's a great course who knows, I will not be entering CC info anywhere near that site.

I also tried popjazzonline last weekend for a little bit, they have a 14 day trial. I lasted about 2 hours. The content seems okish, if a bit cheesy and cringey, but the interface and structure is painful. They've time restricted the lessons so you only get the first basic one in your trial. They do have a super premium membership that provides personal feedback but it's a no from me.

You wouldn't think it would be hard to make a decent piano lesson website with a sensible intuitive design and interface but apparently it is.

Artistworks is a cool idea but the jazz stuff is so limited - at best it would be a small side thing to work on with your main method. The pop/classical teachers don't interest me at all. If they did, I'd definitely give them a go, they have a good system I think. The community feel you get from seeing all the other student's submissions and feedback is fantastic.

The best I've tried so far is open studio jazz. Still has problems with basically being a collection of random different methods (with their own focus/level) and no big guide/structure to work though, but the presentation and teaching is top notch (although still an annoying website to navigate!). Of course it is only focused on jazz and doesn't have much in the way of feedback.

Personally I'm not overly concerned about the feedback portion. Obviously it would be nice, but I find recording myself I can pick up on things I need to work on, I just want the structure/direction. I think if you're really keen on getting personal feedback, I don't know why you'd be wasting time with these large group library websites, just go get a skype teacher.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Removing action from Bechstein V, early 1900's
by jkess114 - 12/08/19 03:17 PM
'Re-Shaping hammers and shanks'?
by LS35A - 12/08/19 12:28 PM
Inevitable progress
by Animisha - 12/08/19 11:50 AM
Like Forscore but for Mac suggestions please
by dhts - 12/08/19 09:38 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,572
Posts2,899,809
Members95,180
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission