Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
87 registered members (anamnesis, Bill McKaig,RPT, accordeur, anotherscott, ars3niy, Belger1900, 22 invisible), 1,212 guests, and 556 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Another Pianobuddies playdate pics #2913619 11/18/19 09:51 PM
Rickster Online Content OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
I had another great time at our "PianoBuddies" playdate this past Sunday, near Senoia, Ga. That is where they film most of the TV horror series "Walking Dead".

With that said, my performance was more like "The Sitting Dead". It was pretty dismal, in my view. Just didn't have that get-up-and-go-piano-mojo that I usually have, for some reason. Oh well, everyone else did a great job! Not the end of the world, and my pride and dignity will heal. smile

This thread is probably more suited for the ABF forum, but I haven't visited the ABF forum in months. I'm just more familiar with the Piano Forum, if that's ok. Plus, you can see the pianos in the photos, so it's piano related. :-)

That said, here are some pics. Oh yea, there were 20+ members present, though not all played the piano. Maybe I had a severe case of stage fright. smile

Our own Sam Smith and his wife Laurie... they played a duet with Sam on the piano and Laurie on the Clarinet; Laurie also plays the flute, and the piano!
[Linked Image]
Our host, a piano teacher, along with another piano teacher playing a duet on two pianos, a console and a baby grand.
[Linked Image]
Two more piano teachers playing a piano duet
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Another Pianobuddies playdate pics [Re: Rickster] #2913745 11/19/19 09:22 AM
NobleHouse Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Gotta love the fun!

[Linked Image]
Re: Another Pianobuddies playdate pics [Re: Rickster] #2913763 11/19/19 10:21 AM
j&j Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Cool pictures and looks like a really fun time. What piano were you playing? Thanks so much for sharing!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Another Pianobuddies playdate pics [Re: Rickster] #2913771 11/19/19 11:07 AM
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by j&j
Cool pictures and looks like a really fun time. What piano were you playing? Thanks so much for sharing!

Thanks, j&j!

Both pianos were newer Kawais. The upright was a Continental Console (no legs); the baby grand was a Kawai GL-10 (5'?). Both were very pretty and in tune.

I think it may have helped my performance/playing a bit if I could have warmed up a little on the Kawai GL-10 baby grand. To sit down and start playing on a different piano, or one you're never played before, and start playing in front of an audience of 20 people, some very accomplished pianists, and some you don't know, and have never met, is a bit nerve racking.

Maybe I'm still trying to find excuses for my dismal performance... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Another Pianobuddies playdate pics [Re: Rickster] #2913782 11/19/19 11:51 AM
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Awesome photos!! It looks like such a great gathering! I wish I were a little closer!

I think it may have helped my performance/playing a bit if I could have warmed up a little on the Kawai GL-10 baby grand

This is something I often feel whenever I play on an unfamiliar piano. I attend a yearly music party in my town, held by a friend and former colleague (she's retired from my university). They have a baby grand (it's a Francis Bacon IIRC, probably right around 5 feet long). Her husband plays classical guitar but neither of them play piano. Her grandchildren play piano, so that's why they keep it (well, probably that and because it's a pretty addition to the room).

Because there's no piano player in the household, it's not maintained very carefully (I happen to know their tuner, and TBH he's someone I decided doesn't do a good enough job to be my tuner!)

Anyway, so first there's the fact that the piano is never in very good tuning and probably needs to be voiced and regulated. And then there's the fact that it's an unfamiliar piano in an unfamiliar room, and there's not really a way to warm up because of how the party goes. So even though I've played that piano once a year for the last 4 (5?) years, I only play it once a year, and every time I sit down to play, I'm totally thrown by the experience. It sounds funny (really needs a qualified tuner's TLC) and because I already get shaky hands when performing, it never goes as well as I would like it to.

The only saving grace for me is that I almost always play more than one piece at this party, so I pick an easier piece as the first piece and by the time I get to the second piece, it goes a lot better.

The struggle continues.... whome

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 11/19/19 11:52 AM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Another Pianobuddies playdate pics [Re: Rickster] #2913790 11/19/19 12:16 PM
j&j Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by j&j

Thanks, j&j!

Both pianos were newer Kawais. The upright was a Continental Console (no legs); the baby grand was a Kawai GL-10 (5'?). Both were very pretty and in tune.

I think it may have helped my performance/playing a bit if I could have warmed up a little on the Kawai GL-10 baby grand. To sit down and start playing on a different piano, or one you're never played before, and start playing in front of an audience of 20 people, some very accomplished pianists, and some you don't know, and have never met, is a bit nerve racking.

Rick

Hi Rick - some times we just “kill it” and some times we don’t. I guess the good news is we don’t have to retrieve golf balls out of the pond on our “off days”. Which is exactly why playing the piano is fun. 😁

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
Re: Another Pianobuddies playdate pics [Re: Rickster] #2913814 11/19/19 12:55 PM
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by j&j
Hi Rick - some times we just “kill it” and some times we don’t. I guess the good news is we don’t have to retrieve golf balls out of the pond on our “off days”. Which is exactly why playing the piano is fun. 😁

Hey, I like that analogy about golf and the golf ball... smile

And, you are right, I didn't "kill it" or impress the crowd like I have in the past. But I was smiling when I started and smiling when I finished, although the latter smile was somewhat fabricated... but I did indeed enjoy the performances of the other members/players. They were superb!

What I like about the PianoBuddies group is that they still love you and support you, even if you have an "off" day. smile

Rick

Re: Another Pianobuddies playdate pics [Re: Rickster] #2913905 11/19/19 04:40 PM
Sam S Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
We were playing "name that tune" at the end. Volunteers would get up and play a few bars of something popular, and we would write down our answer. I did not do well - I think I only got half of them!

Sam

Re: Another Pianobuddies playdate pics [Re: Rickster] #2913931 11/19/19 05:22 PM
Chrispy Online Content
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
That looks fun! I love my local "piano forum" but it tends to be quite serious in terms of the playing. Maybe I'll suggest a game next time smile I'm actually going to be in GA in the late spring (if I remember correctly), do you ever take on travelers to your group?

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth) and C minor Prelude (big chords)
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO
Re: Another Pianobuddies playdate pics [Re: Rickster] #2913956 11/19/19 06:26 PM
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Chrispy
That looks fun! I love my local "piano forum" but it tends to be quite serious in terms of the playing. Maybe I'll suggest a game next time smile I'm actually going to be in GA in the late spring (if I remember correctly), do you ever take on travelers to your group?

Sam Smith and his wife Laurie are the primary leaders/organizers of the PianoBuddies group, but they are both very inclusive and accommodating. I'm quite sure you would be more than welcome to drop in and join the fun during your trip to Ga.

You could PM Sam or me, as the time of your visit approaches and we'll start the coordination. smile

And, I'm sure that goes for any other PW members who might live in Ga. or will be visiting Ga. soon. Most of the PianoBuddies members live in or around the Peachtree City, Newnan, Fayetteville, Senoia, and Palmetto/Chattahoochee Hills area. I'm a little further southeast near Griffin/Barnesville (about halfway between Macon and Atlanta).

The PianoBuddies members have been taking turns hosting the event, although the membership seems to be growing. Not sure of the exact date, but I plan to have a playdate event at my home at some point, maybe the first of the year.

On May 31st, 2020 at 3 PM the PianoBiddies group will be hosted at the University of West Georgia, in Carrolton, Ga. at the Cashen Recital Hall. Sam is a student there taking advanced lessons in their piano studies music program and was able to reserve the music hall for our May playdate (hope he didn't mind me sharing that). smile

All the best!

Rick

Re: Another Pianobuddies playdate pics [Re: Rickster] #2913970 11/19/19 07:05 PM
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
BTW, I meant to ask, the person with the name tag that says "Zi Zi," I'm assuming she played something by Joe Hisaishi (that's the book she's holding). Does anyone by any chance remember what it was?

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Another Pianobuddies playdate pics [Re: Rickster] #2914005 11/19/19 10:13 PM
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
BTW, I meant to ask, the person with the name tag that says "Zi Zi," I'm assuming she played something by Joe Hisaishi (that's the book she's holding). Does anyone by any chance remember what it was?

ShiroKuro, Laurie usually writes down the name of the pieces each pianobuddie member plays. I'll email her and ask her the name of the piece Zi Zi played. Zi Zi is rather shy, but she plays very well. She is also a fellow student of Sam's at the West Georgia College Classical Piano Music program.

I'll let you know the name of the piece Zi Zi played, as soon as I hear back from Laurie. Or, Sam may chime in with the name of the piece. smile

All the best!

Rick

Re: Another Pianobuddies playdate pics [Re: ShiroKuro] #2914006 11/19/19 10:13 PM
Sam S Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro

"Summer (Kikujiro)"?

Sam

Re: Another Pianobuddies playdate pics [Re: Rickster] #2914007 11/19/19 10:16 PM
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Sam S.
"Summer (Kikujiro)"?

Sam

Wow, that was quick!! smile

Thanks, Sam!

Rick

Re: Another Pianobuddies playdate pics [Re: Rickster] #2914032 11/20/19 12:40 AM
L
Lady Bird Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by j&j

Thanks, j&j!

Rick

It always seems worse for the pianist Rickster.The audience often experiences such a performance
in a more balanced way.(not as bad as you think ) Every pianist has off days ! Just go to more piano
parties.Thank you so much for sharing all these pictures !

Re: Another Pianobuddies playdate pics [Re: Rickster] #2914203 11/20/19 10:53 AM
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
It always seems worse for the pianist Rickster.The audience often experiences such a performance
in a more balanced way.(not as bad as you think ) Every pianist has off days ! Just go to more piano

Thanks for the reassurance and advice Lady Bird! It means a lot to me, coming from a highly trained, highly experienced pianist and piano teacher like yourself. smile

I have learned, however, that our emotional state and our nerves can affect our playing and our performance in front of an audience, big or small, a lot... a whole lot. Plus, I'm generally a very sensitive and nervous type person anyway, and I worry about what people are going to think of me beforehand.

But I don't let that apprehension stop me from trying. You are right, the answer is to keep playing, learn from our mistakes, and try to do better next time.

Rick

Re: Another Pianobuddies playdate pics [Re: Rickster] #2914243 11/20/19 12:36 PM
j&j Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lady Bird

Thanks for the reassurance and advice Lady Bird! It means a lot to me, coming from a highly trained, highly experienced pianist and piano teacher like yourself. smile

I have learned, however, that our emotional state and our nerves can affect our playing and our performance in front of an audience, big or small, a lot... a whole lot. Plus, I'm generally a very sensitive and nervous type person anyway, and I worry about what people are going to think of me beforehand.

But I don't let that apprehension stop me from trying. You are right, the answer is to keep playing, learn from our mistakes, and try to do better next time.

Rick

Another little trick is to do your piece in the beginning. Everybody in the audience is too busy scanning their own music and worrying if they’ve practiced enough to really notice any mistakes of the first three or four players. 😁

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
Re: Another Pianobuddies playdate pics [Re: Rickster] #2914246 11/20/19 12:45 PM
L
Lady Bird Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
So many of us know your playing and singing from Youtube videos and enjoy them.
But we understand sometimes past grief( but still there )can suddenly make us feel less
confident ,even question why we are at an event. Sometimes the creativity in us can just
vanish ! That can be really scary for a musician !
However one morning we can awake and it's a new day and we just want to play that new piece
or compose that new song.Time to jump back into the saddle then !
Regards, Karyn

Re: Another Pianobuddies playdate pics [Re: Sam S] #2914294 11/20/19 02:55 PM
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S

"Summer (Kikujiro)"?

Cool! I wondered if it was that piece. I once submitted a version of Summer for an ABF recital. There are a few different arrangements around, it's a great piece of music, I would have loved to hear it!

One of these days, if I can convince Mr. SK to make the drive south... smile

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Another Pianobuddies playdate pics [Re: Rickster] #2914458 11/21/19 12:52 AM
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
4000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
4000 Post Club Member
As always, looks like fun! Thanks for sharing.

"If it sounds good, it is good." - Duke Ellington
P E R F O R M A N C E over p r o v e n a n c e

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Removing action from Bechstein V, early 1900's
by jkess114 - 12/08/19 03:17 PM
'Re-Shaping hammers and shanks'?
by LS35A - 12/08/19 12:28 PM
Inevitable progress
by Animisha - 12/08/19 11:50 AM
Like Forscore but for Mac suggestions please
by dhts - 12/08/19 09:38 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,572
Posts2,899,819
Members95,180
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission