Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
64 registered members (camperbc, albydooby, Animisha, chueh, Ankee, butchkoch, AYS, 21 invisible), 833 guests, and 482 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Breaking the tension before a performance #2913364 11/18/19 03:30 AM
CianistAndPomposer Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Allen Vizzutti did it like this, before playing an unbelievably difficult piece:

https://youtu.be/5g8qRF8Eogs

So that got me thinking...

Say you're about to perform the entire chopin etudes, but you'd rather just die. You're terribly nervous and unsure about the first, second and the double thirds etude. Yet you still need to go on the stage, since your career is on the line.

So, when walking onto the stage, you do something to make the unsuspecting audience laugh:

1) Stumble/slip intentionally, hoping it looks genuine and that you don't actually injure yourself or fall off the stage and perish right then and there.

2) Walk onto the stage in your underwear, and in a few seconds, say: "Oh, [censored], sorry. I forgot to put on my clothes". Then come back a few minutes later in a stripper outfit.

3) Crack a poop joke.

You should then be sufficiently relaxed. Just try not to feel embarrassed.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Breaking the tension before a performance [Re: CianistAndPomposer] #2913376 11/18/19 05:10 AM
G
ghosthand Offline
G
A less embarrassing way is to do what I have learned: make an oral introduction to the audience, give a background to the composer's history and his/her intentions with this work, even - if you think you have time - talk about how it is structured, what special features to observe and how you have worked with this. Smile at the audience and make them smile back. Now you are friends, now the ice is broken. Now they know that you have worked seriously with this, and they definitely appreciate to get some context to what they are listening at. So if you still happen to make some mistakes, you will be forgiven.

I promise, this will make both you and the audience more comfortable. A performance is supposed to be a nice experience for everybody. As a famous rock star said: people think Mickey Mouse is boring, because he is just too correct, but they love Donald Duck because he always makes a fool of himself. So don't be Mickey Mouse when you perform, be Donald Duck!

I guess it is not allowed to make an oral presentation on competitions, but - piano playing is not about competitions. The silent, divine performer who sneaks out on stage, makes a brilliant performance and then vanishes again (up to heaven in smoke and fire) without a smile, is sooo outdated.

Re: Breaking the tension before a performance [Re: ghosthand] #2913389 11/18/19 06:18 AM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by ghosthand
A less embarrassing way is to do what I have learned: make an oral introduction to the audience, give a background to the composer's history and his/her intentions with this work, even - if you think you have time - talk about how it is structured, what special features to observe and how you have worked with this. Smile at the audience and make them smile back. Now you are friends, now the ice is broken. Now they know that you have worked seriously with this, and they definitely appreciate to get some context to what they are listening at.

Make sure you know your audiences before you do this.

For instance, in London's South Bank Centre comprising three concert halls (the Royal Festival Hall being the biggest), many - probably most - in the audience are regulars and are classical music buffs, often musicians themselves. For some of the piano recitals, there are special cheap seats behind the stage for students too. Most of them have bought the season's programme booklet, which contain detailed notes on the music (all written by musicologists, sometimes with the performer's own added notes) for each concert - which assume that the reader is highly knowledgeable about classical music, with frequent references to Italian and German terms, words like 'motivic development' and 'enharmonic equivalent' and "the Darmstadt school" sprinkled in, and many other composers mentioned - and would give the performer eye-rolls if he started 'introducing' the music he's about to play and (silently and politely smirk ) mouth "Just get on with it!". The encores are when chatting to the audience - very briefly, introducing what he's going to play (especially if it's something obscure), maybe why he chose it (and a bit of wit wouldn't go amiss) - works well.

At the other end of the spectrum are the audiences I perform for - the vast majority of whom have only heard live classical music from my previous recitals (if they have attended before), and come just to enjoy music they would never hear anywhere else. Not to hear me give a mini-lecture on classical music. (Though I have given lecture-recitals on classical music before - which were billed as such). I make myself available for anyone to ask me questions (or just chat) afterwards, and they know I won't talk down to them. The questions I've been asked range from "Is Brahms a modern composer?" to "Was that last piece a study by Liszt?" I respond accordingly and go into as much detail as they are interested in. However, many of the audience aren't interested to know more about the composers or the music: they just want to listen and enjoy it - like any pop song - and when they chat and ask questions, it's along the lines of "How long have you been playing?" or "How many hours do you practise a week?"

The last thing I want to do is to put them off from enjoying classical music in their own way, on their own terms - without any scholarly fluff that they aren't interested in.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Breaking the tension before a performance [Re: CianistAndPomposer] #2913565 11/18/19 04:44 PM
Calavera Offline
Originally Posted by CianistAndPomposer

3) Crack a poop joke.

"If you hear a wrong note during my performance, that just means I need to fart."

Re: Breaking the tension before a performance [Re: CianistAndPomposer] #2913569 11/18/19 04:56 PM
J
Jethro Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
J
10 mg of Inderal should take the edge off.

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

ad
Rob Mullins Holiday Album
Rob Mullins Holiday Album

Rob is an amazing jazz pianist in LA,a composer, and a friend of mine.
Frank B. / Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
ABRSM aural exam clapping pulse
by chueh - 12/14/19 06:43 AM
How to mentally prepare for a big performance?
by PracticingPianist - 12/14/19 01:24 AM
Very Hard Hammers
by Duaner - 12/13/19 06:19 PM
Chopin Etudes
by Moo :) - 12/13/19 04:53 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,646
Posts2,901,465
Members95,232
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission