Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
100 registered members (Belger1900, anotherscott, Apache, camperbc, ADWyatt, 30 invisible), 1,191 guests, and 571 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How to get a slab to stop sliding on a portable stand? #2913091 11/17/19 10:34 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online Content OP
8000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
So I have a Yamaha P71 (P45) sitting on a little portable stand with two crossbars. Even a light finger press will cause the slab to slide on these two crossbars since only thing keeping it on the stand is gravity. I especially noticed the motion when I was showing my daughter how to read music last night and when she would press on the keys deliberately with her forefinger, but not hard, nonetheless, the keyboard would slide about 2mm on the crossbars which are matte coated aluminum.

Short of superglue, what can I do to keep a slab from sliding around on a portable stand?

I've been thinking though of velcro. stick a long strip of velcro hooks on the top of the two crossbars and two strips of the velcro loops on the underside of the keyboard. Has anyone tried that before?

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: How to get a slab to stop sliding on a portable stand? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2913095 11/17/19 10:43 AM
K
KevinM Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
So I have a Yamaha P71 (P45) sitting on a little portable stand with two crossbars. Even a light finger press will cause the slab to slide on these two crossbars since only thing keeping it on the stand is gravity. I especially noticed the motion when I was showing my daughter how to read music last night and when she would press on the keys deliberately with her forefinger, but not hard, nonetheless, the keyboard would slide about 2mm on the crossbars which are matte coated aluminum.

Short of superglue, what can I do to keep a slab from sliding around on a portable stand?

I've been thinking though of velcro. stick a long strip of velcro hooks on the top of the two crossbars and two strips of the velcro loops on the underside of the keyboard. Has anyone tried that before?

Your stand should have rubber sleeves in the places where the DP comes in contact with it. My experience was that they are effective at stopping the DP slab from sliding. The usual problem is that the stand wobbles too much when playing vigorously. Sliding has not been an issue I've seen.

Did you mean for this question to end up on ABF?

Last edited by KevinM; 11/17/19 10:44 AM.

Mendelssohn Song without Words 19,6, Jensen Sehnsucht 8,5. Chopin Nocturne C# Minor. Schumann Hasche Mann from Kinderszenen Op15,3. Beethoven Bagatelle 119.4 https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin/sets/my-progress
DP: Kawai MP11SE. HP: Superlux HD681 EVO
Re: How to get a slab to stop sliding on a portable stand? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2913096 11/17/19 10:46 AM
S
SMA55 Offline
S
Yes, I’ve had this problem before, too. And at the moment, I’m thinking of trying those mini bungee cords to solve the problem.

Re: How to get a slab to stop sliding on a portable stand? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2913097 11/17/19 10:55 AM
J
John305 Online Content
Online Content
J
You could use baseball bat tape or something similar that is grippy to wrap around the stand where the keyboard sits.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
Re: How to get a slab to stop sliding on a portable stand? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2913105 11/17/19 11:10 AM
C
Charles Cohen Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
C
I'd try Velcro. There are "industrial-strength" versions, but the usual hook-and-loop, adhesive-backed stuff should be fine.

I used it to stabilize a TV , sitting on a table on my boat. It never moved in several thousand miles of sailing.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: How to get a slab to stop sliding on a portable stand? [Re: KevinM] #2913125 11/17/19 12:00 PM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KevinM
Did you mean for this question to end up on ABF?

Oh my. I intended to post this to the digital forum and it ended up on ABF instead. Apologies to everyone.

Thanks to everyone for ideas!

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: How to get a slab to stop sliding on a portable stand? [Re: KevinM] #2913133 11/17/19 12:14 PM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KevinM
Your stand should have rubber sleeves in the places where the DP comes in contact with it. My experience was that they are effective at stopping the DP slab from sliding.

That makes sense. Clearly that's what is missing from my stand from Yamaha are rubber sleeves for the arms. I guess Yamaha tried to shave a dollar off.

Re: How to get a slab to stop sliding on a portable stand? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2913169 11/17/19 02:16 PM
R
Ralphiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Some of those soft rubber, perforated mats for lining your tool box drawers would help. They are soft enough that the dp will sink into them ever so slightly, as will the top of the stand you are using. That should eliminate sliding.

I once took out the screws holding the little rubber feet to the bottom of the dp. I replaced them with wing headed bolts and ran them up through holes in the stand and screwed them back into the threaded holes the rubber feet used to go in. It was effective, though taking longer to disassemble and take the unit down.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX Lite
Pianist since April, 2015
Re: How to get a slab to stop sliding on a portable stand? [Re: Ralphiano] #2913199 11/17/19 03:40 PM
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Yes, fasteners can't be beat.
Originally Posted by Ralphiano
I once took out the screws holding the little rubber feet to the bottom of the dp. I replaced them with wing headed bolts and ran them up through holes in the stand and screwed them back into the threaded holes the rubber feet used to go in. It was effective, though taking longer to disassemble and take the unit down.

Re: How to get a slab to stop sliding on a portable stand? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2913254 11/17/19 06:59 PM
J
Jonky Ponky Offline
J
If the rubber is at the bottom, you have the stand upside-down!

Re: How to get a slab to stop sliding on a portable stand? [Re: Jonky Ponky] #2913272 11/17/19 07:47 PM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jonky Ponky

This is the Yamaha stand which comes with the P71, and it doesn't have rubber sleeves for either the two crossbars at the top or the too at the bottom. Too cheap I guess.

I just feel like I should solve this for my daughter so she won't text me sometime that the keyboard fell off the stand and broke.

Re: How to get a slab to stop sliding on a portable stand? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2913307 11/17/19 10:56 PM
J
Jonky Ponky Offline
J
Almost any hardware store should sell rubber end caps for tables/chairs. I'd be inclined to by extras that you could cut the bottom off completely and slide them further onto the stand.

Re: How to get a slab to stop sliding on a portable stand? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2913326 11/17/19 11:53 PM
D
djvu10 Offline
D
In case you decide to get something better, Monoprice.com sells a very decent X stands for only $17.99
Product # 602220

Re: How to get a slab to stop sliding on a portable stand? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2913374 11/18/19 04:40 AM
JoeT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by Jonky Ponky

This is the Yamaha stand which comes with the P71, and it doesn't have rubber sleeves for either the two crossbars at the top or the too at the bottom. Too cheap I guess.

The P71 doesn't come with any stand from Yamaha.

To solve your problem, you can get a stand with locking straps: https://www.amazon.com/RockJam-Heavy-Duty-Pre-Assembled-Infinitely-Adjustable/dp/B01B15JPCQ

Yamaha P-515 | Kawai ES100 | Steinberg UR22 | Sony MDR-7506
Re: How to get a slab to stop sliding on a portable stand? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2913385 11/18/19 06:03 AM
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Why recommend an X stand? This is for Tyrone's daughter, not for a condemned prisoner. smile

Re: How to get a slab to stop sliding on a portable stand? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2913390 11/18/19 06:26 AM
S
Snail Online Content
Online Content
S
I had an x stand. When i changed to a proper table shape stand the difference was night and day..A good stand lasts forever supossing you don't gig, and makes playing so much enjoyable

Re: How to get a slab to stop sliding on a portable stand? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2913399 11/18/19 07:12 AM
bluebilly Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Get one of these. I have. No sliding problems.

Flat Top Stand

Re: How to get a slab to stop sliding on a portable stand? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2913443 11/18/19 10:24 AM
D
djvu10 Offline
D
Why recommend an X stand?

Very true smile the OP described that's what he had and only asked for a way to keep the keyboard from sliding; he wasn't asking for opinions on any other type of stands.
We read posts and all try to make suggestions to help someone; I tend to stay close to the post and come up with what I consider inexpensive solutions. Someone else may come up with a different suggestion; isn't that what a forum is all about???

Had the OP asked for opinions on different types of stands, which stand is better than the X stand, which stand I had or liked, my suggestion would have been quite different because I've been looking and just ordered the Roland KS-G8B for myself.

Re: How to get a slab to stop sliding on a portable stand? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2913445 11/18/19 10:31 AM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Yeah, I already have the stand. To be honest, I don't even know if my daughter will play much. If she does, I might upgrade her to something better.

Re: How to get a slab to stop sliding on a portable stand? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2913486 11/18/19 01:28 PM
O
OscarRamsey Offline
O
Hiya.

I used pipe lagging cable-tied to the top bars with great success - worked well on an FP-30 and FP-90.

It stops the slipping and would help with resonances/vibration going into the X stand... also helps if the bars aren’t perfectly straight.

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Removing action from Bechstein V, early 1900's
by jkess114 - 12/08/19 03:17 PM
'Re-Shaping hammers and shanks'?
by LS35A - 12/08/19 12:28 PM
Inevitable progress
by Animisha - 12/08/19 11:50 AM
Like Forscore but for Mac suggestions please
by dhts - 12/08/19 09:38 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,572
Posts2,899,797
Members95,180
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission