Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
73 registered members (Angelos58, AprilE, ando, Agent88, almo82, 20 invisible), 1,273 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291257
07/01/03 10:03 PM
07/01/03 10:03 PM
New Jersey
C
concertkey Offline OP
concertkey  Offline OP
C

New Jersey
I'm currently shopping for a new grand that will be my "final" piano. I tend to trend toward the "American" sound and love the Mason and Hamlin BB but also realize that the Estonia 190 seems to be a good deal for the money and may be a viable option. New Steinways are over my budget. Could I get some opinions from those who have shopped these brands? Would the Forster 190 or 215 make me as happy as either one of these?

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291258
07/01/03 10:19 PM
07/01/03 10:19 PM
Dallas, TX
Cork Offline
500 Post Club Member
Cork  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Dallas, TX
Any of those brands would satisfy virtually any good pianist.

Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291259
07/01/03 10:39 PM
07/01/03 10:39 PM
North County San Diego CA
R
Rick Clark Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Rick Clark  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

I agree with Cork, but I think the extremely solid and heavy construction of the M&H will make it a better piano when it gets old, and a worthy candidate for rebuilding when the time comes. I suspect it will be worth a lot more in the long run, too.

Regards,

Rick Clark

Rick Clark

Piano tuner-technician
Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291260
07/01/03 11:41 PM
07/01/03 11:41 PM
Atlanta
Steve O. Offline
Steve O.  Offline

Atlanta
I too debated about a BB and an Forster (incidentally, two of the heaviest pianos inch for inch). I ended up buying the Forster due to a preference for the sound. I also preferred the Forster to that of the Estonia. If you like the American sound, however, your preference may well be the Mason. All are fine pianos. You should play them all and get the one that speaks to you. I think that resale is a secondary consideration for most purchasers of large grands.

Best,

-Steve O.

Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291261
07/02/03 12:48 AM
07/02/03 12:48 AM
San Juan Capistrano, CA
Penny Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Penny  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

San Juan Capistrano, CA
What about a Charles Walter for an American piano/American sound for around $20k give or take? Although I haven't experienced it first-hand (other than Jim L. having a salesman hold his cell phone as he played a Foerster in New Jersey!!!), I'm told the AF is a more European sound. Also check out Schulze Pollmann for another reasonably priced grand that delivers a premium performance.

Then again, if you have the money for a Mason ... there's not much else to talk about!

penny

Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291262
07/02/03 01:33 AM
07/02/03 01:33 AM
C
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member
CrashTest  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C

I don't see how a Mason and Hamlin BB can compare to an Estonia. I have played a good number of both instruments (Although more BB's than Estonias) and I always found the Estonia, while having a good tone, to have a fairly weak bass. The BB on the other hand, is very powerful, and a good deal bigger. I like its tone and sound more as well, I feel it projects more, especially in classical music.

Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291263
07/02/03 05:45 AM
07/02/03 05:45 AM
Okemos, MI
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
gryphon  Offline

Okemos, MI
M&H v. an Estonia? what kind of price are you getting on the BB?!

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291264
07/02/03 07:58 AM
07/02/03 07:58 AM
Boston
P
Peter 88 Offline
Peter 88  Offline
P

Boston
I'm currently shopping for a new grand that will be my "final" piano. I tend to trend toward the "American" sound and love the Mason and Hamlin BB but also realize that the Estonia 190 seems to be a good deal for the money and may be a viable option.
From what I have learned here and from others and from shopping around, the Mason & Hamlin is the standard of excellence for new pianos because of its design and because of the way it has been manufactured since 1995. I haven’t played a seven-foot piano, ever, that rivals the power and richness of a BB. It has an incredibly responsive action and seems to be built to withstand the worst that the severe northeast climate can throw at it. Regardless of what you might pay for one, it might well prove to be the best long-term piano investment out there. Just be sure to find one that speaks to you (each one is unique) and that it has been well prepped. I played a poorly prepped BB recently and would have completely soured on the brand had I not known why I hated that piano.

As to the European pianos, they almost all sound fine (if you like the bright European sound) – until you start to play the Romantics. In my experience, even the Bosendorfer starts to crash. None of them, except the Fazioli (I am told), is built for the big stuff. I have played BB’s that never crashed on me. I also wonder about how well a European piano will hold up over the years in certain areas, especially the northeast.

If my budget absolutely did not allow for the purchase of a new BB, and I didn’t own an old Mason or Steinway that I could have rebuilt, I would buy an Estonia 190 (it is certainly the best deal for the money). I played one recently (at the home of a friend) and found it to be as nice as any 6’ European piano I have come across (and a lot nicer than most new Steinways). The action felt great and I was very impressed by the solid construction. But just as with the purchase of a BB, be sure to find a 190 that speaks to you and that has been well-prepped. I would also try to buy one from a dealer who has a good trade-up policy. Various dealers around the country carry both Estonias and Masons. So you can buy an Estonia now and trade up to a Mason later. If I lived in WA, I would see Alex. In PA, I would see Rich. And in CT, I would see Ori at Allegro. I think I heard that Faust Harrison in NY carries Estonia (perhaps I read it here). If they do, I would definitely check them out. From what I have been told, their Masons are prepped to the hilt. I will be there at the end of August, so I will let you know what I find.

Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291265
07/02/03 08:48 AM
07/02/03 08:48 AM
K
kenny Offline
7000 Post Club Member
kenny  Offline
7000 Post Club Member
K

I can only add that besides all 3 being great pianos, they are all great values too.
They compete favorably with much more expensive pianos.
Unlike the more widely known names, these 3 are lot of piano for the money.
I think you can't make a bad choice here.

Good prep from the best tech you can find before the sale and during the piano's first 2 years is essential for any piano.

Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291266
07/02/03 08:56 AM
07/02/03 08:56 AM
New Jersey
C
concertkey Offline OP
concertkey  Offline OP
C

New Jersey
I'm getting a wealth of good information from all of you on my very tough decision. To respond to a few of you (I'll figure out the quotation system later):

I have more than one Mason and Hamlin BB in polished ebony that has been offered under 40K. The tough decision is whether to borrow to meet the BB price or purchase the Estonia or Forster which is in budget. As much as I love the BB, one could purchase an Estonia and a car for the same amount of money!

I will be going back to play all of the pianos that interested me (round two) this coming week and will check on the Forster for the comment about it crashing with the big romantic literature. I'll hit it hard with the opening of the Tchaikovsky First Piano Concerto!

I appreciate Rick Clark's comments about the value of the piano in the long run and for rebuilding purposes.

My wife and mother both like the sound of the Estonia but I prefer the sound of the M&H.

I have been to Cunningham's (PA) and Faust Harrison (NY) to play their inventory. Both stores have been great.

Is the BB too much of a piano for a 13' x 16' room?

Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291267
07/02/03 09:37 AM
07/02/03 09:37 AM
R
Rick Clark Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Rick Clark  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

For my ears, that would be too big (loud) a piano for that space. I would find myself backing off of the louder passages so as not to fatigue my ears. Though if you have high cathederal ceilings it will be less of an issue than if you have low 8' ceilings.

One of the things I love about Mason & Hamlin is how the dynamics match the 'body feel' you get through your hands. But if one is holding back on loudness, it kind of defeats the purpose.

I would want a Mason & Hamlin A for a room that size. I think the dynamics match the room perfectly yet the bass scale is remarkably smooth for a piano that size.

Regards,

Rick Clark

Rick Clark

Piano tuner-technician
Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291268
07/02/03 09:40 AM
07/02/03 09:40 AM
K
kenny Offline
7000 Post Club Member
kenny  Offline
7000 Post Club Member
K

Originally posted by concertkey:
Is the BB too much of a piano for a 13' x 16' room?
This has come up before.
Some say yes.
I don't have as much experience as Rick. (I'd listen to him.)
I have a BB. There is volume to spare, but I don't regret putting that big piano in the room.
I think of it as a Ferreri. It can go 200 MPH, but it can also go 55.
Voicing can affect the impression of loudness, so find a good tech.
My BB is in a slightly larger living room, about 250 square feet, but there is an adjacent 200 sq ft dinning room adjacent with a large opening between the rooms. Here's pics.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum_members/Kenny1.htm
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum_members/LAparty.htm
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum_members/LAparty2.htm

The piano was in two different locations in these photos.
Heavy carpeting with heavier padding, thick drapes, tapestries may soften sound.
Have you considered the M+H A? It is also plenty of piano and I think I would be happy with it.
Would your dealer consider letting you try each piano in your home, you pay shipping?

Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291269
07/02/03 10:03 AM
07/02/03 10:03 AM
Chicago
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member
kluurs  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Chicago
No matter what, I'd take the Mason & Hamlin. I'd take the Mason & Hamlin over a Bosendorfer for that matter -- personal taste. It is a phenomenal piano and a bargain taking all factors into consideration. If that room opens to another room, the BB might work. If it is pretty closed off I'd say go with the A. If in doubt, talk with the dealer & get an A delivered -- if you can handle more -- ask to trade immediately on the BB. Might have to cover the shipping - but still cheaper than buying your last piano twice -- as I did.

Ken

Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291270
07/02/03 10:16 AM
07/02/03 10:16 AM
Boston
P
Peter 88 Offline
Peter 88  Offline
P

Boston
My wife and mother both like the sound of the Estonia but I prefer the sound of the M&H.

I have been to Cunningham's (PA) and Faust Harrison (NY) to play their inventory. Both stores have been great.
Did Faust Harrison have just Masons or did they have Estonias as well?

Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291271
07/02/03 06:11 PM
07/02/03 06:11 PM
Surrey, B.C.
Norbert Offline
Norbert  Offline

Surrey, B.C.
It's really a bit of 'apples' and 'oranges' here.

Estonia sound often appeals to the particularly musical and sensitive ears [female?] who somewhat appreciate the resonnance,refinement and clarity this intrument clearly delivers.

And on price and expected appreciation it has few equals.

Mason Hamlin does all of the above but also appeals to the "animal" within yourself, the player.

It is able to 'lick like a poodle' and 'bite like a Rottweiler'.

Sorry, bullmastiff.

[Rottweilers are more likely to come with our own quite deadly...ahem....SAUTERS..... laugh laugh ]

norbert wink

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291272
07/02/03 06:20 PM
07/02/03 06:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I would have to say that Mason & Hamlin builds a solid and powerful piano...their 7 foot has more power than many 9 footers.

However..you are comparing two very fine, well made pianos. The Estonia, like many other European pianos, has more exotic and arguably better wood material. However that is highly debtable and mainly a matter of personal opinion and taste.

The Estonia does have a sweeter and more expressive tone (in my opinion), but the Mason & Hamlin delivers a clear tone as well.. just with somewhat more fullness.

So this truly comes down to a matter of tastes mostly. European pianos sometimes keep their value better because they are, well, European pianos. But then again, this IS a Mason & Hamlin you are talking about. M&H offers a piano that, in my humble opinion, is a step above a New York Steinway, for a price that is at the very least slightly less than a NY Steinway.

Either piano are great choices! Good luck! smile

Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291273
07/02/03 07:51 PM
07/02/03 07:51 PM
Philadelphia
S
Steve the ragtimer Offline
Steve the ragtimer  Offline
S

Philadelphia
In my search last year (which ended up with a M&H A) I played just about every piano mentioned in this thread. The Forster had the fullest "American-like" sound of any of the Europeans. The Estonias were all nice, but each one sounded quite different, including some which approached that fullness, and others which were thinner/brighter/Mozart-like.

The BB is THE BB - no sound like it in the world. If you can afford it, have the space, and that is the sound you love, go for it. You also couldn't go wrong with the Forster, again, with the caveat that you have to love the sound from that instrument. The Estonias are nice, but make sure the one you choose has the sound you want.

Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291274
07/02/03 09:34 PM
07/02/03 09:34 PM
New Jersey
C
concertkey Offline OP
concertkey  Offline OP
C

New Jersey
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Penny:
[QB]What about a Charles Walter for an American piano/American sound for around $20k give or take?

Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291275
07/02/03 09:44 PM
07/02/03 09:44 PM
New Jersey
C
concertkey Offline OP
concertkey  Offline OP
C

New Jersey
Oops. Still working on the quoter. In response to the Charles Walter, I did try the instrument and didn't like the action or sound of the one I tried.

The Mason and Hamlin "A" is a wonderful instrument but doesn't have the refinement or as big a sound as the BB. As much as I enjoy both models, the highest and lowest octaves haven't been as strong on the fundamental as I would like. I've been told that a good tech can alter this somewhat.

Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291276
07/02/03 09:54 PM
07/02/03 09:54 PM
C
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member
CrashTest  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C

I find the M and H BB to be comparble, if not a little inferior, to a NY Steinway B. When well prepped, both are great instruments, it really depends on taste. I would go with the B, but it is more expensive, therefor changing the game a bit.

Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291277
07/02/03 10:52 PM
07/02/03 10:52 PM
San Marino, Ca.
M
Mark & Laura Offline
Mark & Laura  Offline
M

San Marino, Ca.
Our BB has been in our home now for four months and we have never regreted our decision. A great company with great people that produce a superior product.

MAG
Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291278
07/03/03 07:06 AM
07/03/03 07:06 AM
Boston
P
Peter 88 Offline
Peter 88  Offline
P

Boston
I find the M and H BB to be comparble, if not a little inferior, to a NY Steinway B.
You must be talking about that one out of ten new B's that has good sustain, a good set of hammers and a soundboard that is free of ridges (heralding cracks). I saw one like that here in Boston last year. The sound was quite nice, but the non-Renner action was a detraction. Have you ever driven your car on an ordinary road just before getting onto a freshly black-topped, super smooth road? You can have that same experience with pianos. Just play a new NY B and then move over to a new BB. This probably won't work with a new Hamburg B because (I am told) it has a good Renner action.

As you can tell, I am not a fan of new NY Steinways. I do, however, love the old ones. I own an old 'O' that I am planning to have rebuilt. In the hands of a top re-builder, these pianos can become jewels.

Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291279
07/04/03 04:57 AM
07/04/03 04:57 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
If you go to Faust Harrsion Pianos you can try out both Estonia and M&H in the same place.

Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291280
07/04/03 10:17 AM
07/04/03 10:17 AM
Louisiana
Jolly Offline
Jolly  Offline

Louisiana
Correct me if wrong, but I thought all BBs shipped with Renner actions, and the hammers were Renner blues.

www.coffee-room.com

Over 1.4M (and counting) posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.
Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291281
07/04/03 05:28 PM
07/04/03 05:28 PM
Boston
P
Peter 88 Offline
Peter 88  Offline
P

Boston
My understanding is that new Mason BB's and new Hamburg Steinway B's have Renner actions and Renner hammers, but that new NY Steinway B's have NY Steinway actions and hammers.

Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291282
07/04/03 05:55 PM
07/04/03 05:55 PM
Hamilton Twp, NJ
curry Offline
3000 Post Club Member
curry  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hamilton Twp, NJ
Hamburg Steinway grands use action parts made by Renner,They are not the classic "Schwander"type actions called Renner actions but are of the same design as the New York grand action. These are also balanced(weighed-off) differently than New York models.New York imported alot of their parts from Renner for the model B&D grands years ago when the action manufacturing equipment was on it's last legs and quality was suffering. smile

G.Fiore "aka-Curry". Tuner-Technician serving the central NJ, S.E. PA area. b214cm@aol.com Concert tuning, Regulation-voicing specialist.
Dampp-Chaser installations, piano appraisals. PTG S.Jersey Chapter 080.
Bösendorfer 214 # 47,299 214-358
Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291283
07/04/03 07:56 PM
07/04/03 07:56 PM
Surrey, B.C.
Norbert Offline
Norbert  Offline

Surrey, B.C.
...the benefit of which obviously, was not given to their "smaller models" customers.

And I always thought "small is beautiful".... wink

norbert

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291284
07/04/03 08:38 PM
07/04/03 08:38 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan
M
Mat D. Offline
500 Post Club Member
Mat D.  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Sterling Heights, Michigan
My BB is in my living room ----same size as your space...it is voiced to the room----no problems whatsoever; I play with lid up or lid closed.

Something about the feel of the BB versus the A (also an excellent piano) I definately wouldn't worry about the size of the room as long as you have a good tech do your voicing.

Mat D.

Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291285
07/04/03 10:51 PM
07/04/03 10:51 PM
New Jersey
C
concertkey Offline OP
concertkey  Offline OP
C

New Jersey
Thanks for the comments about the M&H BB and room size. I'm going down to Cunningham's tomorrow to play their BB and then back to Faust Harrison on Monday to compare a BB from 1996 that was never sold but refinished by Faust Harrison. It was impressive the first time I played it last week. My concern is the depreciation that will take place when that "new" 1996 piano leaves the store. Both stores also carry Estonia but to date, the Estonia has not exhibited the power or sparkle of either Mason model. Sarah Faust, a pianist herself, was more than willing to customize the action on any of their pianos to the customer's request. I was interested in a deeper aftertouch and a "crisper" action on the BB.

Re: Estonia vs. Mason and Hamlin #291286
07/05/03 12:11 AM
07/05/03 12:11 AM
C
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member
CrashTest  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C

I've played the pianos at Faust Harrison as well, and the BB really impressed me- just as much as a new Steinway B I played elsewhere that same day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Crackling noise when recording digital piano
by Tommm777. 11/13/18 01:01 AM
Summer Camp Opportunity with orchestra
by pianofan1017. 11/13/18 12:47 AM
Pedal noise fix for Garritan CFX
by HCC. 11/13/18 12:34 AM
Hailun - Out of business?
by StevenG. 11/13/18 12:12 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,309
Posts2,760,595
Members91,477
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission