2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
39 registered members (barbaram, 36251, CyberGene, claburo, Beemer, ChrisGoesPiano, clothearednincompo, BachToTheFuture, boe2, 6 invisible), 236 guests, and 390 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Meeting other pianists #2911944 11/14/19 01:36 PM
U
uprightcitizen Offline OP
OP Offline
U
I have been playing the piano for many years yet I don't really know any other musicians, or even classical music aficionados, for that matter. Am I unique in this regard? For those of you who have a circle of musical friends and/or acquaintances how did you go about cultivating those relationships?

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Meeting other pianists [Re: uprightcitizen] #2911983 11/14/19 03:41 PM
J
Jethro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by uprightcitizen
I have been playing the piano for many years yet I don't really know any other musicians, or even classical music aficionados, for that matter. Am I unique in this regard? For those of you who have a circle of musical friends and/or acquaintances how did you go about cultivating those relationships?

I joined an academy that has young talented professional pianists giving the lessons. Unfortunately my other teacher found out that I was learning pieces with them as well and threw me out of his studio. Well, not exactly threw me out but got pretty upset. He didn't understand how lonely learning the piano can be ( good thing I have a bunch of tennis buddies) and didn't understand that I was sincere that I wanted to share my music with other musicians especially experienced ones even if it meant paying for lessons. But I value this equally as well. If you figure out where all the talented classical pianists hang out let me know,

Edit: my teacher who is a performing classical pianist will soon be having soirees at her home once she buys one and she wants to invite me to those "coffee" music sessions when a bunch of pianists come together to share their music in a less formal setting. I think I am looking forward to that if and when it happens.

Last edited by Jethro; 11/14/19 03:44 PM.

Working on:

Bach/Busoni Chaconne in D minor BWV 1004
Chopin: G Minor Ballade
Schumann/Liszt Widmung

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
Re: Meeting other pianists [Re: uprightcitizen] #2912004 11/14/19 04:10 PM
W
wszxbcl Online Content
Online Content
W
I'm in an adult beginner-intermediate circle of local piano students. We meet regularly in one woman's house. It's like a salon. She has a grand piano and she serves refreshments. We perform for each other and also work on duets. The group started with a few people taking lessons with the same teacher. Others joined by invitation. I met them at a recital in a local music school.

If you are interested in such things and you have the facilities to host, you can just start a meetup group. If you can't host then maybe you can try attending recitals and stick around for any receptions afterwards so you can meet people.

Re: Meeting other pianists [Re: uprightcitizen] #2912024 11/14/19 04:48 PM
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Back in school days, it was easier: It was mostly the other music students at the schools.

Since then, for me it's been mainly two sources:

-- Fellow students of whatever teacher I've been studying with.
Sometimes we would meet when one of us's lesson was right after the other, but mostly it would be that the teachers had occasional group get-togethers.

-- A biggie: through the amateur piano competitions, including that in many places, the local people who had met at competitions would then start doing get-togethers on their own (basically like what Wszxbcl described). We've had such a thing going on in New York City for almost 20 years (!) -- not as regularly as it used to be, but still going on. In fact, we've occasionally done them in Westchester, although not since a long time ago.
If you might be interested in coming some time, we'd see what we could do! smile

Re: Meeting other pianists [Re: uprightcitizen] #2912400 11/15/19 12:31 PM
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I belong to a music group in a church with people playing various instruments (clarinet, French horn, violin, cello, etc. We started with just 25 members playing various instruments about 10 years ago. Today we have 40 people coming and going all the time. We're amateur musicians. We try to play some advanced pieces but at the same time has to accommodate people at an intermediate level. With such a large group we tend to break ourselves up and have gatherings as smaller groups. Twice a year we would have 1 big gathering before we go for a break.

Re: Meeting other pianists [Re: uprightcitizen] #2912418 11/15/19 01:04 PM
gooddog Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
My path to finding piano friends started with a local summer piano camp, but it's in Victoria, B.C. You can research similar programs closer to your home on the internet and if you have the time and funds, it would be a good way to meet local people with similar interests. Through the connections I made at the camp, I found and joined three piano social groups that meet once a month. We play for each other, eat snacks, drink wine and talk. You might also try Meetup.com which can connect you with local piano groups.

Best regards,

Deborah
Re: Meeting other pianists [Re: uprightcitizen] #2912432 11/15/19 01:44 PM
Qwerty53 Offline

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
My first piano friends (I am just over 2 years into this adventure) have come from among my teacher's other adult students; I first met them at her studio and also at gatherings she organizes a few times a year when we play for one another. More recently I have begun to expand my circle, although before doing so, I felt like I needed to be able to play a couple of pieces in front of strangers without excessive terror! I have started going to a local piano players group organized on Meetup.com. Meetings are held at various venues including member's homes or at a local library that has a good piano. I've also seen groups that meet at piano dealerships that offer space and pianos to play.

If there isn't a group near you listed on Meetup.com, it's easy to start one and see who shows up. It is very rewarding! I hear some great players, and some beginning players, and a lot of music that is new to me, and I get more confidence in playing. Plus: snacks!

Mister Upright, Yamaha YUS5.
Re: Meeting other pianists [Re: uprightcitizen] #2912456 11/15/19 02:58 PM
Sam S Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I started my own group south of Atlanta. We started with just a handful of students of a couple of teachers, but it has grown over the last two years to the point where we are getting too big! Sunday we have a playdate with 17 people coming. Things exploded when we opened it up to teachers as well as students. I had no idea there were this many amateur pianists in my area. We have no restrictions on level of player or type of music.

I belong to another group north of Atlanta which is much more serious (they charge dues), but is still very popular.

So you best option to find people may be to contact local teachers to find adult amateurs.

Sam

Re: Meeting other pianists [Re: Mark_C] #2912498 11/15/19 04:48 PM
AssociateX Offline
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Back in school days, it was easier: It was mostly the other music students at the schools.

Since then, for me it's been mainly two sources:

-- Fellow students of whatever teacher I've been studying with.
Sometimes we would meet when one of us's lesson was right after the other, but mostly it would be that the teachers had occasional group get-togethers.

-- A biggie: through the amateur piano competitions, including that in many places, the local people who had met at competitions would then start doing get-togethers on their own (basically like what Wszxbcl described). We've had such a thing going on in New York City for almost 20 years (!) -- not as regularly as it used to be, but still going on. In fact, we've occasionally done them in Westchester, although not since a long time ago.
If you might be interested in coming some time, we'd see what we could do! smile

Do you guys meet in NYC?? I am one of the co-organizers for the New York Piano Group on Meetup.com. We have an event this Sunday 11/17 at 2:30 pm in midtown Manhattan. 15 players are coming to play..we always love having new members!

~~~~~~~
My Practice/Progress YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
Re: Meeting other pianists [Re: uprightcitizen] #2912520 11/15/19 05:32 PM
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
I know just about nobody personally that is into classical music. Only the people I have met since playing piano, in conjunction with the university, and here on the forum.

If anyone vacations in FL let me know!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Meeting other pianists [Re: uprightcitizen] #2912530 11/15/19 06:07 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
My sister earned a minor in piano performance and plays but doesn't like to. I have a friend who has played for close to 50 years, but is far too advanced for me - he can sight read the pieces I'm working on and plays all 4 of the Chopin Ballades by memory. Haha... And there is the wife of a friend who is finishing her 2nd year but doesn't want to play anything in front of me. That's it except my forum friends on here smile

I haven't found any local groups.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Meeting other pianists [Re: uprightcitizen] #2912606 11/15/19 09:31 PM
T
trigalg693 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Westchester NY? Come down to NYC. I play with NY Piano Society, have met a lot of Juilliard graduates who gave up music and got a tech/finance/law/whatever job through Juilliard people I know, and am trying to run another amateur pianist series with The Foundation for the Revival of Classical Culture.

Back in San Francisco I just knew a few people from amateur piano competitions and such.

Last edited by trigalg693; 11/15/19 09:32 PM.
Re: Meeting other pianists [Re: cmb13] #2912716 11/16/19 09:15 AM
H
Henri2106 Offline
H
Various posts have provided very good suggestions, especially Meetup and teachers’ other students. An amateur pianists Meetup in the Miami, FL area has been very helpful as well. BTW, CMB13, if you’re coming to this area, let me know!

Henri in Florida
1959 Mason & Hamlin model B (my pride and joy!)
Re: Meeting other pianists [Re: uprightcitizen] #2913039 11/17/19 06:56 AM
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Thank you, Henri, I’ll keep that in mind.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha YDP s52 or Casio CDP 220R
by Love4Music - 02/18/20 09:11 PM
Kawaii K-200 vs Geyer GU-123
by ckm99 - 02/18/20 07:33 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,054
Posts2,927,330
Members96,039
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission