Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
63 registered members (camperbc, albydooby, Animisha, Ankee, butchkoch, AYS, 36251, 21 invisible), 827 guests, and 482 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I bought myself a Yamaha P71! #2911988 11/14/19 03:49 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline OP
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Yes! I just bought myself a Yamaha P71 (which is Amazon's version of the P45) with a small clickety sustain pedal, a super cheap X-stand, and an even cheaper X-bench! Will be delivered Saturday.

Why did I do this when I have an Avantgrand N1X? Because I doing some interior design on my flat because of my N1X not fitting saga and Murphy's law has dragged this process out interminably. I am living among paint fumes and dust and even developed bronchitis two days ago because of this, all because I have my RCM Level 4 piano exam coming up in a few weeks and I need to practice, but I can't move my N1X... it's just too big and heavy. I really regretted selling my FP30. That would have solved all my issues.

So now, starting Saturday, I will be able to hole up with my P71 in a hotel and not return to my flat until is completely livable, finished, and fully furnished. I will not have to suffer in order to practice for two hours. Yay!!!! 🎺

So tell me what a mistake I made getting the P71. I did look at the FP10 which has a nicer action, but with a bench, stand, and pedal, it would have cost me $600, while this P71 was $453 with everything. Didn't feel like spending another $150 for a DP that I might not use again after this work on my flat is done.

With the P71, I will have owned a Yamaha, a Roland, and a Kawai. Basically all the entry level DPs except the Casio. Ooo.... I'll be able to be more authoritative in my entry-level piano recommendations. 😎

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2911992 11/14/19 03:58 PM
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
What??!! Tyrone is spending conservatively?
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
So tell me what a mistake I made getting the P71. I did look at the FP10 which has a nicer action, but with a bench, stand, and pedal, it would have cost me $600, while this P71 was $453 with everything. Didn't feel like spending another $150 for a DP that I might not use again after this work on my flat is done.
Elizabeth! It's the big one! I'm coming to join you now!

No! Wait a minute. This is just a case of faulty logic!

MUST STERILIZE! STERILIZE! STERILIZE! STERILIZE!

Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2911994 11/14/19 03:59 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
What's the scope of your redesign? When you first mentioned it upon getting the N1X I assumed you were just asking someone where to rearrange a sofa and cadenza. But it sounds like you're renovating an entire room to fit the piano?

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! [Re: MacMacMac] #2911996 11/14/19 04:00 PM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
What??!! Tyrone is spending conservatively?
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Elizabeth! It's the big one! I'm coming to join you now!

No! Wait a minute. This is just a case of faulty logic!

MUST STERILIZE! STERILIZE! STERILIZE! STERILIZE!

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2912003 11/14/19 04:07 PM
O
OscarRamsey Offline
O
You know what... having been away for work more than usual, I’m sort of thinking about my ol’ FP-30 too (not the FP-90 for some reason - probably because of the extra heft & cost if I drop the bloody thing). That’s because my exam is coming up soon too!

I’d be interested in your feedback RE action (and sound over headphones).

Long term (unless I change career) I think I’ll want another DP to take away with me.

Last edited by OscarRamsey; 11/14/19 04:09 PM.

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2912007 11/14/19 04:19 PM
CyberGene Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Congrats! I miss a cheap piano exactly because I miss a cheap piano! laugh The N1X makes me treat it with a great respect. Like that smart and erudite friend whom you can’t tell a dirty joke wink I need also a piano that I can bash and bang with pop, jazz, kid tunes and any other cr*p that won’t make me feel bad. And where the wife will put her coffee on without me going thermonuclear!

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! [Re: Gombessa] #2912008 11/14/19 04:20 PM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
What's the scope of your redesign? When you first mentioned it upon getting the N1X I assumed you were just asking someone where to rearrange a sofa and cadenza. But it sounds like you're renovating an entire room to fit the piano?

The sofa & cadenza was LarryK's retrofit of a piano smile

For me, it was never that simple or else I wouldn't have needed an interior designer. LOL. I need to recover space in a high-density urban flat a few blocks from the Capitol smile So it's the works. Every stick of my existing furniture was tossed except for the N1X and my mattress & featherbed. And 100% custom furniture is being made for the flat, with the exception of one leather chair and a couch which is being bought. I even had to get rid of my current 60" TV since I need that wall now because the piano displaced my bookshelves. So the 60" is now be replaced sadly by a 43" TV in the same location which is being embedded in a custom-made wall unit... My designer swears that's the largest TV she can shoehorn in. I hope I can still see the screen - I had my heart set on not going below 55" so I'm pretty much heart-broken now. 😢

Now there's definitely "scope creep" though! Walls/ceiling repainted, floors sanded and refinished. Bathroom and kitchen remodeled. New appliances. New light fixtures and track-lighting everywhere. More electrical outlets and wall switches. Space to hang my wife's art on the wall. Putting my bed on a platform so I can get a couch underneath it. etc etc. Decided I couldn't live without the remotely operated window treatments (want Alexa to open my windows when my alarm goes off). 😂

My wife completely doesn't understand why this is all being done or what is the big deal. No wonder, because our flat in the grachtenpand in Amsterdam is two levels including a loft with a full bath, and three times the livable space of our DC flat! 🤯 The outdoor terrace over the courtyard there which is sort of like our cats' apartment, is by itself, only about 25% smaller than my entire flat here! It costs money to live packed into a high-density urban dwelling like this one here in DC! 😂

Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! [Re: CyberGene] #2912018 11/14/19 04:39 PM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Congrats! I miss a cheap piano exactly because I miss a cheap piano! laugh The N1X makes me treat it with a great respect. Like that smart and erudite friend whom you can’t tell a dirty joke wink I need also a piano that I can bash and bang with pop, jazz, kid tunes and any other cr*p that won’t make me feel bad. And where the wife will put her coffee on without me going thermonuclear!

My interior designer just arrived and just had a very evil idea. After I explained to her that it was her fault (i.e., the Murphy's law interior redesign) that I had to buy a new piano so I can hide out with it, she said:
You're getting this from Amazon, right? Why don't you just keep the boxes? Amazon gives you 60 days to return things!

😈

Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2912021 11/14/19 04:45 PM
P
Pete14 Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
If the P71 is anything like the P60 then it’s not a ‘cheap’ instrument, but rather a good bang for your buck.
I’ve owned a P60, and considering its price, it was a very capable instrument. I would definitely not let anyone come near it with a ‘cup of coffee’. smile

Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2912033 11/14/19 05:14 PM
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
It's not the piano's fault. It's not the TV's fault. It's the city's fault! smile

For the price of a cramped apartment in a big city you can have a spacious home in the countryside.
And get away from city crowding. Yuk!
And get away from city traffic. Yuk!
And get away from city people. Yuk!

And have plenty of room for that piano. And room for a second piano. And a 100" TV. Yay for un-urbania!

Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2912085 11/14/19 07:17 PM
N
navindra Offline
N
Hmm, this sounds like a terrible nightmare to me.

It may have been better to simply trade in the N1X for the NU1X... saving time, money, health, and heartache, in one shot.

Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2912098 11/14/19 07:55 PM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
OK, no interior designer evil plots (to use and return the P71 after my flat is done). I was talking to my daughter and mentioned the 2nd piano and she was all upset that I am not supporting her musical aspirations (.... um, maybe because you had no musical aspirations except to listen to Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, and BTS?). So I have now given her the P71 under the condition I can borrow it when my N1X is unavailable (like now).

I just created more happiness factors! 3hearts

Now I just need to sign her up for Piano Marvel or something like that so she can know what to do with it wink

Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! [Re: navindra] #2912099 11/14/19 07:57 PM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by navindra
Hmm, this sounds like a terrible nightmare to me.

It may have been better to simply trade in the N1X for the NU1X... saving time, money, health, and heartache, in one shot.

The NU1X wouldn't have fit either. My piano nook could only barely fit the FP30 and similar because the 1st and 88th key were right up against the ends. Both the NU1X and N1X have a side control panel which make the pianos too long for my piano nook.

Not fitting in my piano nook is what has lead me to this current sorry point of first owning (and now gifting) a Yamaha P71. 🙄

Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! [Re: MacMacMac] #2912133 11/14/19 09:57 PM
camperbc Online Content
Online Content
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
It's not the piano's fault. It's not the TV's fault. It's the city's fault! smile For the price of a cramped apartment in a big city you can have a spacious home in the countryside.
And get away from city crowding. Yuk!
And get away from city traffic. Yuk!
And get away from city people. Yuk!
And have plenty of room for that piano. And room for a second piano. And a 100" TV. Yay for un-urbania!

Or for MUCH less money than either a cramped city apartment or a spacious home in the countryside, one can have a lovely western exposure, oceanfront home on a large piece of land in scenic Newfoundland. No city crowding here, nor traffic, nor... well... people, for that matter. (not quite true... we have 2,500 residents on our 250 sq/km island) Mind you, I still have no space for an acoustic piano. Can't win 'em all! grin

Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2912139 11/14/19 10:21 PM
L
LarryK Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L
It seems like I should offer a rebuttal. Here it is.

Life in the city is wonderful because:

No snow to shovel
No leaves to rake
No car to pay for
No roof or basement to fix from leaks, because there are always leaks.
No house to paint.
No traffic to sit in in a car if one takes the subway.
Only one bathroom to clean
I can walk fifteen minutes and receive piano lessons from a world class teacher.
I can ride the subway for fifteen minutes and receive classical guitar lessons from a Juilliard trained player.
There are cultural activities and the best artists come to visit.

I saw Angela Hewitt play the last three English Suites a few weeks ago and it was a sublime experience. I’ll put up with a lot of hassles to experience such moments of joy.

The review: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/03/arts/music/angela-hewitt-bach-review.html

Last edited by LarryK; 11/14/19 10:23 PM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2912146 11/14/19 11:00 PM
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Re-rebuttal ...

[Linked Image]

Nothing more need be said. smile

Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2912159 11/14/19 11:20 PM
L
LarryK Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L
I’ve got access to trees, hills, and a river.

[Linked Image]

There are as many beautiful things in a city as there are in the mountains.

To each his own.

Last edited by LarryK; 11/14/19 11:21 PM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2912161 11/14/19 11:24 PM
camperbc Online Content
Online Content
Re-Re-rebuttal:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tough to beat views like this at every turn. smile

Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2912162 11/14/19 11:35 PM
L
LarryK Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L
[Linked Image]

There is beauty everywhere.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: I bought myself a Yamaha P71! [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2912163 11/14/19 11:39 PM
L
LarryK Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L
[Linked Image]

And there is beauty in city people. Yes, this is my photograph, published in my book.

Last edited by LarryK; 11/14/19 11:40 PM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

ad
Rob Mullins Holiday Album
Rob Mullins Holiday Album

Rob is an amazing jazz pianist in LA,a composer, and a friend of mine.
Frank B. / Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
ABRSM aural exam clapping pulse
by chueh - 12/14/19 06:43 AM
How to mentally prepare for a big performance?
by PracticingPianist - 12/14/19 01:24 AM
Very Hard Hammers
by Duaner - 12/13/19 06:19 PM
Chopin Etudes
by Moo :) - 12/13/19 04:53 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,646
Posts2,901,465
Members95,232
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission