2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Colin Miles, bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 10 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
As the years are going by, my sons are growing older and circumstances change.

4 or 5 years ago I posted about leaving Greece to live in the UK, while the rest of my family was moving in Kuwait. Unfortunately things turned out rather sour, as a few months after the move, my wife requested a divorce, so she's now my ex wife. I see my kids 3-4 times a year, for a total of about a month. Not fair, but it is what it is and I believe that we have to find happiness where it can be found.

Fast forward to now. I'm relocating in Amsterdam as my fiancé has moved there because of Brexit. I've also bought a very nice upright Yamaha U1, which will be delivered in a couple of weeks in our new flat in Amsterdam. Editions Musica Ferrum is growing rapidly, so everything seems to be going well.

Why am I mentioning all of this? Well, because through all these years I've been teaching my older son piano, who, turns out, is pretty talented and loves music. He doesn't want to become a musician, but this is not stopping him from practicing Chopin's 1st Ballad in his own right at the age of 15.

And he requested that I compose something so that the two of us can play (a duet, which I'm pretty comfortable doing, if you remember my "piano stories", back in 2013).

I couldn't be more happy, nor more busy, but the plan is set: His birthday is on the 14th of January, which leaves me another 2 and 1/2 months to compose, engrave, print and bind a super nice copy of him, as well as to publish the score. Then we will both practice in hopes of recording and videoing the work in the summer of 2020.

And as I have two sons, my other son happens to be quite adapt with technology, phones, tablets, etc, and he's shown a particular interest in photography and video, so who best than him to shoot us playing the piece?

My ideas are already set about the composition (and if I can manage it I'll turn it into an one movement sonata of sorts).

Thanks for reading.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Nikolas:

It is good to see you posting on PW again. All the more so since, after the turbulence, upheaval and disappointments that you have gone through, there is a warm, positive and happy "vibe" coming from this post, which I read with great interest.

I hope that you will keep us up to date on the progress of the duet; what a wonderful, personal gift that will be for your talented son.

Best regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Best wishes for the duet and I look forward to hearing it. It’s great to read about your doings, and the progress of your boys. You’ve been missed here.

Du holde Kunst...
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Oh the duet idea is wonderful!! And good on you for "finding happiness where it can be found."

Do keep is posted!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
So happy for you on your current outlook at "life".

[Linked Image]
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Nikolas, many thanks for the update - don't be a stranger here! Please continue to keep us posted. All good wishes on your impending relocation to Holland, a very hip, progressive, and arts-friendly land.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
All good wishes on your impending relocation to Holland, a very hip, progressive, and arts-friendly land.

I echo this. My wife and I have a flat in a grachtenpand in De Wallen in Amsterdam and it's as artsy a city as I have encountered.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
All good wishes on your impending relocation to Holland, a very hip, progressive, and arts-friendly land.

Hip, progressive, and arts-friendly, yes, in the big cities, but if you prefer conservative, there is some countryside that is famous for its old-fashioned way of living.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission