Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
97 registered members (anotherscott, ars3niy, Belger1900, Apache, camperbc, ADWyatt, 25 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 567 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
What should I use to clean the case of my Yamaha C2? #2911351 11/12/19 08:23 PM
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
My Yamaha C2 is polished ebony -- isn't that a polyester finish? So, it should be fairly durable, but probably not indestructible, right?

My tuner said to use Windex and a soft cloth, but I'm thinking I've read here *not* to use Windex?? I don't want to scratch it, nor do I want to make it cloudy. I also don't want to buy some expensive fancy polish if it's not needed.

If Windex is really the thing to use, I already have some and can use that. But, is it the thing? Also, what do you recommend for the cloth? Somehow it seems like all our cleaning cloths these days are that microfiber kind, but I feel like a more traditional cotton rag would be better. Why do I not have any of those?? :P

I am embarrassed to say that I haven't cleaned the case since I got it, and the curved side of it needs to be cleaned. I noticed it when I first bought it, but the position it's in right now you don't notice it. So I kind of forgot about it. whome But the piano will be repositioned on Thursday (yay!) and the curved side will be much more noticeable.

TIA for any advice!

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 11/12/19 08:25 PM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: What should I use to clean the case of my Yamaha C2? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2911354 11/12/19 08:39 PM
ELPFAN Offline
Two drops of Dawn (blue) in a spray bottle of water and a clean cotton cloth is all I use on my C3. Just enough bite to remove buildup and leave a shine. Microfiber scratches poly over time.
Windex is not good for poly finishes as it clouds and dulls the finish.
Good luck with your C2!

Re: What should I use to clean the case of my Yamaha C2? [Re: ELPFAN] #2911355 11/12/19 08:53 PM
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks for responding!!

Originally Posted by ELPFAN
Two drops of Dawn (blue) in a spray bottle of water and a clean cotton cloth is all I use on my C3.

Really, and it doesn't need to be rinsed off? I guess that's a lot of water and not much Dawn though. (We use blue Dawn mixed with vinegar for a lot of household cleaning, but I won't use vinegar on the piano! !0-0!

Microfiber scratches poly over time.[/quote

See, I knew I didn't like those microfiber clothes!!

[quote]Windex is not good for poly finishes as it clouds and dulls the finish.

Good to know!!!

If anyone else has any other tips, please share. Now I gotta find the right kind of cloth.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: What should I use to clean the case of my Yamaha C2? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2911359 11/12/19 09:32 PM
Rickster Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I mix up a concoction of water, a few tablespoons of vinegar, and a small drop of Dawn dish soap in a spray bottle. I use it on the finish, and the key-tops. Also use it on my vehicle windshields/windows, inside and out. And, I use the micro-fiber cloth.

You can also buy the Windex now without ammonia, and with the vinegar. Guess they found out about my cleaning concoction... smile

Works great!

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: What should I use to clean the case of my Yamaha C2? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2911370 11/12/19 10:41 PM
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro, my first suggestion would be to ask the manufacturer. In fact, you may already have their answer among the papers you received during the sale. But, I'm pretty sure they won't mind telling you again.

My second suggestion comes from information my piano's manufacturer gave me, when I bought my piano. They said, "Clean the keys using a soft, clean cotton cloth, ever so slightly damp, with half a squirt of Windex aimed at the cloth--- never at the keyboard." Never use a cloth so damp that water runs off the surface and drains into the cracks between the keys--- ever.

You may notice that this advice was for the keys, not the case. BTW, although the keyboard does need to be cleaned occasionally because of oils, shed skin cells, dust that falls out of the air, etc there is no real need to overdo it. I find that once every 3 - 4 weeks is plenty. And also BTW, if you wash your hands before playing, the keys will stay cleaner longer and the touch will be more uniform. There's a big difference in the feel of naked skin on naked key, and naked skin on grubby or gummy keys (which does not look or feel any better than it sounds).

Now, as for the case. Special products? Darlene, who sold me my piano, is all in for cotton baby diapers, washed enough to be really soft. Every day of the world, she knocked the dust off every piano in the store--- there were quite a few; I'm going to guess, close to 100.

Now I absolutely believed her, but I had already become hooked on ostrich feather dusters. The touch is gentler--- almost nothing at all--- using this appliance is very fast and easy on the back, and in the dust palace that is California you need the best help you can get.

You will have to order them. Just search; there are ranches where the birds are raised for such products and taking the feathers does not harm them. The last time I went camping someplace cold, I recall contemplating that humankind has come up with nothing superior to the feather for insulating sleeping bags and really warm down jackets. I need a new duster, though... I've had mine for over 30 years.

Do not even glance at the turkey feather dusters some stores carry. They will not fool your piano or anyone else.

For regular maintenance of your ebony polish finish, I would suggest Cory's Super High Gloss Piano Polish, just as my tech recommended it to me. The full instructions fit easily on the label, and say about what you would think, adding: "Do not spray near strings or tuning pins!" Back comes our clean, soft, 100% cotton baby diaper.

You can order Cory's products from PW's sister site:
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.

http://pianosupplies.com

I got the polish from my tech, finally getting a big bottle which it appears is going to last forever. I used to know why ordinary spray furniture polish is not the thing to use on pianos. There's some good reason, but it has slipped my mind. The Cory's comes out as a very thin liquid, and I believe it strips off the old polish and dirt as it lays down a new protective wax layer.

Sorry about the long post, ShiroKuro. You would ask me a piano geek question.

clef

Clef

Re: What should I use to clean the case of my Yamaha C2? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2911569 11/13/19 12:11 PM
PianoWorksATL Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
+1 for Cory Hi-gloss piano polish.

That's what we use, what we sell, and what we give customers with any new high-gloss piano purchase. It's not fancy or expensive. For most customers, an 8 oz bottle lasts for years. It doesn't damage or haze.

We also like Cory Keybrite. A little 4 oz bottle will last even longer for most customers. It's the only product I know if that is safe to spray directly on the keys of any known keytop material. It evaporates very quickly which is why you can spray it directly on the keys. I also use it for my computer keyboard that eventually doesn't look so fresh.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Re: What should I use to clean the case of my Yamaha C2? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2911586 11/13/19 12:50 PM
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks for all the comments everyone!

I think I'll try Cory's. BTW, Jeff Clef, I bought the piano used, so no papers from Yamaha or from the dealer.

The sellers had a (very nice) doggie. I think the part that I'm wanting to clean is from that doggie's wet nose. grin

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: What should I use to clean the case of my Yamaha C2? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2911676 11/13/19 04:57 PM
j&j Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
I was told by theYamaha dealership owner and the delivery team to use only ammonia-free glass cleaner, like SpayAway and a microfiber cloth. period. I have used a car plastic scratch cover called Plastech to minimize any tiny scratches.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: What should I use to clean the case of my Yamaha C2? [Re: Jeff Clef] #2912818 11/16/19 02:50 PM
L
Lakeviewsteve Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I use Corey products for my piano and think they work great.

Bösendorfer 170
Re: What should I use to clean the case of my Yamaha C2? [Re: Lakeviewsteve] #2912823 11/16/19 03:10 PM
L
Lakeviewsteve Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
You might consider investing in a nice piano cover if you don't have one. I cover my piano religiously. Mine is a nice heavy vinyl lined with red felt. The felt helps keep it shiney. I also live in a climate with sometime drastic humidity changes and I think the cover helps the piano deal with those swings. In the summer I have a de-humidifer and on real humid days it takes 8 gallons of water out of my apartment per day even with the air conditioning running. In the winter my humidifier adds about 6 gallons of water. My piano's performance in terms of the sound and action is very sensitive to the humidity level.

Steve

Last edited by Lakeviewsteve; 11/16/19 03:11 PM.

Bösendorfer 170
Re: What should I use to clean the case of my Yamaha C2? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2914311 11/20/19 03:50 PM
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Just an update, I got the Corey products and cleaned the whole case. The good news is that the side (curved part of the case) cleaned up very nicely (I think that was mostly dog-nose prints) and a few other spots that were oddly "dirty" also look much better.

The bad news is, wow, the top of the lid is much more scratched than I realized! Although, the good news is that this is the part you don't see when the lid is up, and even when the lid is down, it's not super noticeable unless you get right up against the piano and look down.

Anyway, conclusion: use Corey! smile

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: What should I use to clean the case of my Yamaha C2? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2914335 11/20/19 04:54 PM
j&j Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Just an update, I got the Corey products and cleaned the whole case. The good news is that the side (curved part of the case) cleaned up very nicely (I think that was mostly dog-nose prints) and a few other spots that were oddly "dirty" also look much better.

The bad news is, wow, the top of the lid is much more scratched than I realized! Although, the good news is that this is the part you don't see when the lid is up, and even when the lid is down, it's not super noticeable unless you get right up against the piano and look down.

Anyway, conclusion: use Corey! smile

Now try the Plastech on the scratched lid.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: What should I use to clean the case of my Yamaha C2? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2914353 11/20/19 05:30 PM
AaronSF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not as well known as the Corey products, but these work just fine for me:

Music Nomad High Gloss Piano Cleaner (and Keyboard Cleaner)

August Förster 215
Re: What should I use to clean the case of my Yamaha C2? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2914379 11/20/19 06:50 PM
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
Now try the Plastech on the scratched lid.

Thanks for the reminder! I wonder if it would work? I need to see if I can take a photo of the scratchy part. (I mean, to see if the scratches will show up in a photo)

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Removing action from Bechstein V, early 1900's
by jkess114 - 12/08/19 03:17 PM
'Re-Shaping hammers and shanks'?
by LS35A - 12/08/19 12:28 PM
Inevitable progress
by Animisha - 12/08/19 11:50 AM
Like Forscore but for Mac suggestions please
by dhts - 12/08/19 09:38 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,572
Posts2,899,809
Members95,180
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission