2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
57 members (Brendan, David Lai, AndreaH, bwv872, BillS728, accordeur, 36251, 13 invisible), 606 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2910766 11/11/19 12:55 PM
T
Tenor1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I’ve stayed away from this forum for the past few months due to the constant berating of the hybrid issue. I can accept it’s NOT a hybrid and let’s move on from there.

The instrument still gives me pleasure to play and I’ve found some great scene settings that really do well for me. The big challenge was creating the scene settings that best showed off the instrument for different styles of music. A major choice is the hall acoustic. Selecting this improves the decay note issue. But I found that playing a single note in the upper register often had an untrue sounding note. It would sound a little shaky or wavy (sorry I can’t perfectly describe it). Then I found that happened due to settings in other areas being just lightly too high. There is SO MUCH customization allowed that you need to be a technician to really create the sound you want to hear. Even the setting of how much the lid is opened affects not only the volume, but the tone as well. I like the lid-removed setting on almost every instance.

To the horror of most members here I did not try ANY other brand of DP. This is wholly due to C. Bechstein. This is the piano I’ve always wanted to have in my living room. Nothing could top it for me regardless of the action possibly being better or any other reason. There is nothing like playing Debussy on a Bechstein, IMO. I can make this DP sound “almost” like the Bechstein I’ve always wanted, not exactly, but close enough. The Steinway sound is just okay, but I haven’t gone through the tweaking process as I’ve done with the Bechstein setting. I don’t really care for the sampling for the Bösendorfer. It’s not like my grandmother’s Bösendorfer. Here’s the surprising thing that occurred.

The entire family came to hear and see the new piano and were COMPLETELY shocked to see a DP in my living room. Nobody liked it at all! I told everyone that I got a Bechstein, but not that it is digital. For many years I said that when I retire (just turned 65) that I would get a Bechstein. I tried showing off the Casio but to no avail. Most of them have Steinway grands because they were raised here in the States. I went back and forth growing up from the US to Europe. I studied with Geza Anda in Switzerland and also studied in Salzburg.

The final result is that I am now in the market for a real Bechstein grand piano. I happen to be going to Berlin in a few weeks and will go to their main showroom. Bechsteins are very difficult to find in my area but can be shipped from Germany. I’ve already contacted the shop and will let you know the outcomes. But in the meantime I will enjoy my Casio.

Recorder Player/Singer
Back to playing piano
E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Cool Tenor1. Glad you found a piano sound/make that you love. Who could argue with that.

Best of luck finding one that speaks to you smile

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Thanks for the update. Please make and post pictures of the trip(If they allow)

Would love to see that.

Also can you share the setting I would love to try it.

Last edited by Learux; 11/11/19 01:19 PM.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Tenor1

The instrument still gives me pleasure to play and I’ve found some great scene settings that really do well for me.

The entire family came to hear and see the new piano and were COMPLETELY shocked to see a DP in my living room. Nobody liked it at all!

The final result is that I am now in the market for a real Bechstein grand piano.

Sorry to hear the family wasn't taken by the Casio. Sounds like they may have felt a bit deceived when you pumped up your new piano as a Bechstein, which they assumed was an acoustic grand. IMO you set expectations pretty high with that, so there was nowhere to go but down when they saw the DP in person.

Just curious, are you looking for a real Bechstein for them, or for yourself? From reading your account I get the sense that you're fully satisfied with the Casio, but your family's opinions are an important part of your piano owning decision, so you're doing this to satisfy them?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro, Kawai NV-10
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11
I'm confused. You talk about how much you love your DP, yet as soon as your family discovers that it's a DP and thus don't seem interested in it, you suddenly have a change of heart, and now need to go out and buy yourself a grand piano? It seems to me that you should be able to have what you want, rather than what your family wants you to have.

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

- Casio Privia PX-870BK
- Casiotone CT-680
- Casiotone CT-S300
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by camperbc
I'm confused. You talk about how much you love your DP, yet as soon as your family discovers that it's a DP and thus don't seem interested in it, you suddenly have a change of heart, and now need to go out and buy yourself a grand piano? It seems to me that you should be able to have what you want, rather than what your family wants you to have.

+1!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
T
Tenor1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
We have a family ski house and everyone would like the Casio to reside in it. It’s really a win/win for everyone. But I will really miss playing with headphones. I think the sound is a little better through them and I can play anytime without disturbing anyone. I won’t feel compromised getting a Bechstein grand. I’ll grin and bare it. My concern is the size. The room is almost 50” x 24 feet so something between 6-7 foot would do nicely.

Sorry to hear the family wasn't taken by the Casio. Sounds like they may have felt a bit deceived when you pumped up your new piano as a Bechstein, which they assumed was an acoustic grand. IMO you set expectations pretty high with that, so there was nowhere to go but down when they saw the DP in person.

Just curious, are you looking for a real Bechstein for them, or for yourself? From reading your account I get the sense that you're fully satisfied with the Casio, but your family's opinions are an important part of your piano owning decision, so you're doing this to satisfy them?[/quote]

Recorder Player/Singer
Back to playing piano
T
Tenor1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Here are settings that I like for Debussy, using the mellow Berlin and mellow Hamburg.

Hammer Response (D)
Lid Simulator (Removed)
Damper Resonance (2)
Damper Noise (D)
String Resonance (4)
Open String Resonance (2)
Aliquot (3)
Pedal Action Noise (D)
Key Action Noise (D)

Hall Simulator (Dutch Church)

Originally Posted by Learux
Thanks for the update. Please make and post pictures of the trip(If they allow)

Would love to see that.

Also can you share the setting I would love to try it.

Recorder Player/Singer
Back to playing piano
C
C
Just got mine a couple of weeks ago so will def give this a try!

J
J
Did you really study with Geza Anda, how cool! How was he as a teacher?

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
D
D
That sounds like a perfect April Fools trick to pull on family members... I think it's hilarious; I hope you were able to find the humor in your action, your family's reactions and not be too offended smile

If you're 65, have loved Bechstein grands all your life, have the room for one, can afford one, I'd say go for it and smile from ear to ear every morning when you wake up. If you want to put the Casio in the same room so you can just swing your legs around the bench to switch between pianos, even better smile and If you're buying a Bechstein grand partly because of your family, that's ok too!!!

J
J
Originally Posted by djvu10
That sounds like a perfect April Fools trick to pull on family members... I think it's hilarious; I hope you were able to find the humor in your action, your family's reactions and not be too offended smile

If you're 65, have loved Bechstein grands all your life, have the room for one, can afford one, I'd say go for it and smile from ear to ear every morning when you wake up. If you want to put the Casio in the same room so you can just swing your legs around the bench to switch between pianos, even better smile and If you're buying a Bechstein grand partly because of your family, that's ok too!!!

+1!

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
T
Tenor1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by johanibraaten
Did you really study with Geza Anda, how cool! How was he as a teacher?

Funny what you remember after so many years. He was very kind and I loved taking the train to his home. He was intense about making everything musical, even scales. I remember it was very difficult to play scales perfectly even, smooth and quiet. He was pretty tough when it came to lessons.

Recorder Player/Singer
Back to playing piano
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Tenor1
The entire family came to hear and see the new piano and were COMPLETELY shocked to see a DP in my living room. Nobody liked it at all! I told everyone that I got a Bechstein, but not that it is digital.

Oh dear!

You REALLY told them you'd got a Bechstein, without qualifying that statement in any way?

By your logic any DP that has a Bechstein voice onboard is a Bechstein, right? That means anyone with a Korg GrandStage owns a Bechstein. Or anyone that is playing the PianoTeq Bechstein model owns a Bechstein.

I think you were the cause of their shock and disappointment, not the poor little Casio.

Enjoy your trip to Berlin but there are some very fine used and/or fully restored Bechsteins out there. Some of the best are in the UK because outside of Germany Britain was Bechstein's biggest market by far until the 1920s. Their success in Britain would probably have continued had certain members of the Bechstein family not aligned themselves so closely with Hitler.

Although not at all common in the USA there will be a used Bechstein or two on the market in America, I have no doubt. I am sure Bechstein sells their new pianos through authorised dealers in the USA too.

Good luck in your search for a nice Bechstein grand. I enjoy mine very much indeed although I have no doubt at all that your musicianship skills will far far outweigh my meagre talents!

D
D
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/msg/d/los-angeles-bechstein-model-grand-piano/7016800534.html

Here's a 1912 6'8" Beckstein in great condition for sale in the LA area.

T
Tenor1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks I contacted the sellers.

Originally Posted by djvu10
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/msg/d/los-angeles-bechstein-model-grand-piano/7016800534.html

Here's a 1912 6'8" Beckstein in great condition for sale in the LA area.

Recorder Player/Singer
Back to playing piano
D
D
I hope everything works out for you!

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
does anyone know how tall richter was
by pablobear - 05/25/22 08:17 PM
Best piano app for android
by Kihar - 05/25/22 12:54 PM
I left my piano school today
by Animisha - 05/25/22 12:33 PM
Drummer need suggestion for piano style
by Wundebober - 05/25/22 12:08 PM
6 Pin DIN connector for Williams sustain pedal?
by emaydeoh - 05/25/22 11:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,235
Posts3,194,506
Members105,373
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission