2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2910351 11/10/19 11:34 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Many of you know that I'll be retiring soon ... 1 year 5 months and 21 days from now ... and we'll be moving to the Pittsburgh area.

I'll be buying my next piano there, so I thought I'd look for piano dealers in the area. Maybe I'll even drop in on one of them when we're there for Thanksgiving week later in the month.

I used the dealer locators on the Yamaha, Roland, and Kawai web sites. Here's what I found:

Kawai. . .Vittone's Music . . . . . . . Greensburg

Roland . .Fort Pitt Piano Co . . . . . .Pittsburgh

Yamaha . .Modern Piano . . . . . . . . .Wexford
Yamaha . .Waddell's Drum Ctr . . . . . .Wexford
Yamaha . .Johnstonbaugh's Music Ctr. . .Allison Park
Yamaha . .Music Showcase . . . . . . . .New Castle
Yamaha . .Brighton Music Ctr . . . . . .Pittsburgh
Yamaha . .Northern Sound & Light . . . .McKees Rocks
Yamaha . .Hollowood Music & Sound . . . McKees Rocks
Yamaha . .Pianos 'n' Stuff Music . . . .Pittsburgh
Yamaha . .Volkwein Bros Inc . . . . . . Pittsburgh
Yamaha . .DC Music . . . . . . . . . . .East Liverpool
Yamaha . .Guitar Ctr . . . . . . . . . .Pittsburgh
Yamaha . .Empire Music . . . . . . . . .Pittsburgh
Yamaha . .Guitar Ctr . . . . . . . . . .Monroeville
Yamaha . .Johnstonbaugh's Music Ctr . . Pittsburgh
Yamaha . .Main Street Music. . . . . . .Irwin

Fifteen Yamaha dealers ... but only one Kawai and one Roland? And the Kawai dealer is a tiny store way far out of town!
Even here in Raleigh there's a very well-stocked Kawai dealer. In town, not in the hinterlands.

So, are the dealer locators defective? Or is it really that hard to find those brands?
All I can say is &^%@#*<>!$@ frown

There's no longer a Jay Roland here to provide more information. But there's always Kawai James.
Or maybe some of you live in the Pgh area and can add to the list above?

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
I remember reading that you don't want an acoustic, is that still the case?

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
OP Offline
Correct. I've tried and liked the NV10. I want to look at the N1X, too. And maybe a top Roland, WTH.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Correct. I've tried and liked the NV10. I want to look at the N1X, too. And maybe a top Roland, WTH.

At the moment, the top Rolands are no match for the top Kawais and Yamahas, either in product performance or after sales support. For the latter claim, I should add the caveat, "IMO."

BTW, for the N1X, you might consider a long drive eastward to visit Rich at Cunningham Pianos in Philly.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
OP Offline
The point was that Yamahas are easy to find. There's a slew of Yamaha pianos available at the Sam Ash here in Raleigh. And another dealer has the AGs.
The Pittsburgh area has fifteen Yamaha dealers. So the point is: Yamaha is easy. (No need to travel to Phila for those.)

The sticking point is the Kawai. I've tried the NV10 here in Raleigh. Twice. But where will I find such in Pittsburgh?

Let that be the question for the forum. Does anyone have an answer?

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
So, are the dealer locators defective?

My experience is dealer locators are seldom accurate or up to date for any kind of product. I tend to do a google search, in this case:
Kawai piano dealers near Pittsburgh PA
but that doesn't seem to turn up anything you didn't find, so it looks like that is a barren area for Kawai dealers. Yamaha is a much bigger company and sells many more types of products, I guess one of the advantages of being big is you have more dealers.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
MarkL #2910442 11/10/19 04:20 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by MarkL
So, are the dealer locators defective?

My experience is dealer locators are seldom accurate or up to date for any kind of product. I tend to do a google search, in this case:
Kawai piano dealers near Pittsburgh PA
but that doesn't seem to turn up anything you didn't find, so it looks like that is a barren area for Kawai dealers. Yamaha is a much bigger company and sells many more types of products, I guess one of the advantages of being big is you have more dealers.

In the UK the dealer locators are totally defective and way out-of-date. The only way to find out is to go on to the individual websites, and some of these just aren't that good either.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The profile of who's a dealer for which brand can change in a year. I'd suggest worrying about that when you're closer to the actual time of purchase. That's 2 NAMM shows from now...

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Every Guitar Center and Sam Ash I visited carried Roland and Kawai product. How many models was always in issue but..... For the high-end Roland pianos with the nice cabinets and speakers etc, you need to see an acoustic piano stores as they have a different sales channel.

You can always send an email to a maker's "contact us" link on their USA website and just ask them ... give them your location.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 11/10/19 04:34 PM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Originally Posted by Colin Miles

In the UK the dealer locators are totally defective and way out-of-date. The only way to find out is to go on to the individual websites, and some of these just aren't that good either.

Dunno about Wales, but Northern England has loads of dealers who sell just about everything. Riley's in Bolton is well stocked; Rimmer's too. My local shop sells most everything in the price range I'm concerned with, and stock comes in regularly.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
What is the reason for not wanting a real piano Mac? I am going to try to talk you into one.

And when I do you will forever thank me, I think.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
OP Offline
Update ... I followed the advice above (send an email to a maker's "contact us" link on their USA website and just ask them ... give them your location).

I mentioned that the Kawai locator found only one small shop in a small town about 30 miles east of Pittsburgh (and over 50 miles from where I might be moving to).

I got a quick reply saying, basically, that's all folks. There's just no other dealer around. frown

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Update ... I followed the advice above (send an email to a maker's "contact us" link on their USA website and just ask them ... give them your location).

I mentioned that the Kawai locator found only one small shop in a small town about 30 miles east of Pittsburgh (and over 50 miles from where I might be moving to).

I got a quick reply saying, basically, that's all folks. There's just no other dealer around. frown

Perhaps this is some sort of cosmic hint. Like a "Pay no attention to that Kawai which you'd have to go 50 miles to even look at - look at that beautiful N1X over there!"

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
What brings you all the way from NC to Pittsburgh? I'm in PA myself, but eastern PA, which is quite a long ways away, it's a big state, so I can't tell you what's out there. Used to have grandparents out in White Oak near Pittsburgh, but that was a long time ago, and all I remember being interesting out there was the hobby shop. Little stores like that are likely gone by now.

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com
J
J
Hi MacMacMac,

I live in Pittsburgh and you are positively correct unfortunately in regards to Kawai. That dealer is an hour drive from me. I am heading there next week most likely, but want to wait until we find out the price and availability of the NV5.
I visited Modern Piano in Wexford this last week and really liked the store and the salesperson. She wasn’t “salesy” at all and just told me to try them and let me alone for a half hour until i approached her with questions. I wasn’t crazy at all about the Roland store. Just my 2c

Korg Kronos, Yamaha NU1X
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Others have had luck ordering Kawai pianos from dealers in California. Generally good deals too, including shipping, and should be all covered by the warranty. Perhaps ordering from another state is viable. These aren't acoustic pianos.

Yamaha's dealership and distribution reach is a major win for them.

Learux #2910704 11/11/19 09:18 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Learux

I am just wondering why does macmacmac not want an acoustic?

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jitin

I am just wondering why does macmacmac not want an acoustic?

There are many reasons for not getting acoustics, and any one of them is good enough:
  • want a grand piano action and can't get an acoustical grand piano (for litany of reasons)
  • want to play at night or without disturbing family
  • sensitive to notes being out of unison and don't want to tune the piano at <whatever> frequency
  • want a new instrument and new acoustical pianos are too expensive, especially if they are grands
  • don't have space for an acoustical grand piano
  • previously had an acoustic piano already and was happy to see it gone
  • etc etc etc

Why should it matter what MacMacMac's exact reasons are? If he wanted an acoustic piano, he would have mentioned it at least once on here.

I don't want an acoustical grand piano either (for one or more of the above reasons smile ) and won't look at an acoustical upright. No way. Not going to do it.

[Linked Image]

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
That is why you have two piano's smile

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
Learux #2910754 11/11/19 12:12 PM
OP Offline
I owned a Kawai upright for more than a decade. But the cost of tuning, the cost of repairs it needed, and the loudness ... these things prompted me to switch to a digital.
What is the reason for not wanting a real piano Mac? I am going to try to talk you into one.
That digital is now eleven years old. It's worn, dated, and unsatisfactory. I'll replace it with a better one.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission