Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
124 registered members (AlphaBravoCharlie, AndrewJCW, agent8698, Antihero, achoo42, ando, Ankee, A441, Aceituna, 39 invisible), 1,957 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: I usually don't post here, but.... [Re: Rich Galassini] #2910554
11/10/19 07:31 PM
11/10/19 07:31 PM
Southeast US
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Southeast US
I feel that comment on a woman's thigh tattoos and/or dress length is a form of s1ut-shaming and should be off limits in this day and age.

+1

Let's focus on the content of the video, not policing what women are wearing.

Back to the practice it 3x comment, I wonder if that's connected to something that Noa Kageyama has written about... He's the person who does the Bullet Proof Musician for those unfamiliar. I can't remember what it was exactly, but basically, when doing repetitions, the brain sort of goes into autopilot after a certain point. I believe his recommendation was, instead of practicing a tricky passage say 7-10 times, repeat it 3x and then move on to something else. Then come back to that tricky passage again....

I hope I'm not misrepresenting Kageyama's idea, I wonder if that's the same idea behind what Kat Bowman (the teacher in the video) meant.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: I usually don't post here, but.... [Re: Rich Galassini] #2910555
11/10/19 07:35 PM
11/10/19 07:35 PM
Southeast US
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Southeast US
Ok, I did a little poking around Noa Kageyama's site and I can't find the blog article I'm thinking of. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please share!

BTW if you like making tweaks to your practice to increase efficiency, or are interesting in performing better, but you're not familiar with Noa Kageyama, I highly recommend his blog!

https://bulletproofmusician.com/blog/

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: I usually don't post here, but.... [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2910558
11/10/19 07:40 PM
11/10/19 07:40 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by Roger Ransom
Just rude. Her appearance is irrelevant

+1. I feel that comment on a woman's thigh tattoos and/or dress length is a form of s1ut-shaming and should be off limits in this day and age.🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 Skin ink has no effect on her teaching or skills whatsoever and.... what Roger Ransom said!
Not every negative comment is some form of xxx-shaming. People can simply find something unappealing, especially with a video made for general public viewing.

Last edited by Stubbie; 11/10/19 07:41 PM.

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: I usually don't post here, but.... [Re: Rich Galassini] #2910568
11/10/19 08:08 PM
11/10/19 08:08 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
M
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
M

Boynton Beach, FL
As far as the actual content, I think it would be best if she either had separate videos for beginner, intermediate, or advanced, or just focused on beginners. I think the majority of her advice was fine for beginners, especially children. At first, you're playing very simple melodies that don't require too much repetition to get them to be easy in your hands, so the advice about 3x seems fine to me. Then you refine as the music gets more difficult on specific practice techniques.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: I usually don't post here, but.... [Re: Rich Galassini] #2910573
11/10/19 08:34 PM
11/10/19 08:34 PM
Canada
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline

Canada
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
I look forward to comments.

I'm going to assume that you want honest feedback. smile

First, welcome here, in the ABF and please drop in more often.

The idea of knowing how to practice, that practice is not some random thing, is very important and is often neglected. So it is a GOOD THING every time this is mentioned.

I found it extremely basic. Make room for practice as part of your routine most days, focus on a problem area rather than playing through the whole thing, end with something pleasant. That was about it.

Some other ideas:

- When you're working on that problem area, HOW do you work? Do you find the cause of the problem and have a strategy for fixing it? (Teacher should have a role, esp. in the beginning) How about preventing problems in the first place (skills and approaches to learn).

The idea that a problem area should only be practised 3X - if it is countering a tendency to go over something 100X then correct - but it also suggested that "practising" a problem area consists of playing it through that many times. You can work on a section from various angles: hand movement, note recognition, counting, timing, rhythm, height and location of black and white notes, coordination with pedal.

- learner skills - A student, esp. beginner and intermediate, is not just there to learn new pieces, but also to develop skills. Practising also goes toward developing skills, directly or indirectly. If I am to play the melody louder than the accompaniment, what things do I do to bring this about? Do I have a handle on "loud" and "soft"? What am I aiming for while playing those scales?

Do you really want the little kid to "run through" his pieces? Is that practising? Are the parents being kept in the loop as to what the teacher is focusing on, in order to guide the child at home?

Those are some random thoughts that came to mind.

Re: I usually don't post here, but.... [Re: cmb13] #2910576
11/10/19 08:39 PM
11/10/19 08:39 PM
Niagara Falls NY
ebonykawai Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ebonykawai  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Niagara Falls NY
Originally Posted by cmb13
That's a lot of ink, Lisa! 💉

Eh, they are all pretty small except one. This was over the course of 20 years. smile

Lisa

Currently working on RCM 7 repertoire
Kawai UST-9, Yamaha CLP565GP, Kawai KDP110

"Sometimes I can only groan, and suffer, and pour out my despair at the piano!" - Frederic Chopin
Re: I usually don't post here, but.... [Re: Rich Galassini] #2910579
11/10/19 08:40 PM
11/10/19 08:40 PM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline

Progman  Offline

P

Southeast USA
Good solid advice - I think she comes across professional and a good upbeat sensibility. ...start on the hard part....don't play all the way through.....same time of day. I would like to have her as my teacher.

She should do one about learning rhythm and counting. And how to refine your practice over time.

Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: I usually don't post here, but.... [Re: ShiroKuro] #2910582
11/10/19 08:43 PM
11/10/19 08:43 PM
Niagara Falls NY
ebonykawai Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ebonykawai  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Niagara Falls NY
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Ok, I did a little poking around Noa Kageyama's site and I can't find the blog article I'm thinking of. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please share!

BTW if you like making tweaks to your practice to increase efficiency, or are interesting in performing better, but you're not familiar with Noa Kageyama, I highly recommend his blog!

https://bulletproofmusician.com/blog/

That sounds familiar, actually! I'll have to look for it, thanks!

Lisa

Currently working on RCM 7 repertoire
Kawai UST-9, Yamaha CLP565GP, Kawai KDP110

"Sometimes I can only groan, and suffer, and pour out my despair at the piano!" - Frederic Chopin
Re: I usually don't post here, but.... [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2910603
11/10/19 09:56 PM
11/10/19 09:56 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Online content
500 Post Club Member
David B  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras
[
+1. I feel that comment on a woman's thigh tattoos and/or dress length is a form of s1ut-shaming and should be off limits in this day and age.🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 Skin ink has no effect on her teaching or skills whatsoever and....

I think it's a relevant discussion to have. This is a professional business that is being marketed to the public. If enough people felt uncomfortable with the length/type of dress, etc., then the proprietor might reasonably consider a different look to the presentation.

Some restaurants, airlines, and other types of businesses have modesty standards in order to promote a desired type of ambiance. The OP is looking for feedback and appearance does influence perception.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Lessons 1-41 Completed
Re: I usually don't post here, but.... [Re: Rich Galassini] #2910622
11/10/19 11:48 PM
Not Banned
N
newer player Offline
1000 Post Club Member
newer player  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N

Not Banned
That was an impressive and concise video. Well done and looking forward to more.

Re: I usually don't post here, but.... [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2910623
J
John305 Offline
John305  Offline
J

Originally Posted by Roger Ransom
Just rude. Her appearance is irrelevant

+1. I feel that comment on a woman's thigh tattoos and/or dress length is a form of s1ut-shaming and should be off limits in this day and age.🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 Skin ink has no effect on her teaching or skills whatsoever and.... what Roger Ransom said!

I strongly disagree. Just because some people don’t care for the appearance of the tattoos or dress length I don’t think it’s fair to make the assumption that their intention is to slut-shame. No one questioned her morales or virtue. Everyone has a different opinion with regard to dressing modestly or immodestly and what constitutes a professional appearance. Rich did ask for comments and I would say people’s opinion of the presentation is certainly relevant.

I think she came across as very pleasant and positive but I agree with the curmudgeons (although I don’t think I’m old enough to be one yet) that the appearance is not very professional and can be a distraction. I know when I watched the video I immediately noticed the tattoos. I’ll go out on a limb and say that the purpose of the video was not to showcase the presenter’s “artwork”.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
Re: I usually don't post here, but.... [Re: Rich Galassini] #2910625
11/10/19 11:54 PM
11/10/19 11:54 PM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
What next, fat shaming.

It is a slippery slope.

Mendelssohn Song without Words Op19,2 and 19,6, Jensen Sehnsucht Op8,5. Chopin Nocturne C# Minor. Schumann Hasche Mann from Kinderszenen Op15,3. https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin
DP: Kawai MP11SE. HP: Superlux HD681 EVO
Re: I usually don't post here, but.... [Re: Rich Galassini] #2910631
11/11/19 01:00 AM
11/11/19 01:00 AM
Pacific Northwest
P
PianogrlNW Online content
1000 Post Club Member
PianogrlNW  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P

Pacific Northwest
Producing a video about practice habits is a good idea but I don’t think there was enough content. Practice strategies are going to vary dramatically for beginner, intermediate and advanced students and a short video can’t begin to address all these needs. I think you should focus on the beginner, early intermediate student for this video and provide more content. Also, maybe produce a separate video for parents of piano students (and de-emphasize the need to nag!)

Advanced students who are looking online for practicing tips beyond their teachers are probably going to look at Graham Fitch, John Mortenson, Josh Wright, and Noa Kagayema for ideas. All of these teachers have a series of videos to address the concerns and skill levels of advanced amateur pianists.

Re: I usually don't post here, but.... [Re: Rich Galassini] #2910635
11/11/19 01:23 AM
11/11/19 01:23 AM
W
Whizbang Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Whizbang  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W

Hi Rich,

Kat should ignore the tattoo comments here. Ignore them plz Kat.

I got Hanon-triggered.

Advice seems sound, but Kat is extremely uncomfortable in front of the camera. Too fast, too animated, and defensive.

I know this because this is how I play piano when people are watching or when I am recording.

Kat is giving great advice and I feel Kat's earnestness.

I was playing some piece for my teacher the other day... after MONTHS of not being able to play. He hate hate hates when I hop off of notes instead of milking them. My teacher by transference says that Kat should hold onto the pieces of advice, savor them, slow it down, and not hop off them.

That camera is there too and I think Kat is self-conscious about it and I think coming to terms with it is important. (I say this as a person whose videos do not include my face). But if you are teaching and you are reaching out to people, maybe think that the camera is a person that you really like and that is listening to you and wants to learn from you.

(I have not licked this in piano performance at all... just what I see and some troublesome advice)

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
Re: I usually don't post here, but.... [Re: Rich Galassini] #2910654
11/11/19 03:16 AM
11/11/19 03:16 AM
W
wszxbcl Online content
wszxbcl  Online Content
W

The whole discussion of how much skin to show only reminds me of Yuja Wang. Her audience is full of people with grey hair. But no one talks about her outfits anymore except people who haven't heard her or don't care for piano music.

I kind of like this edgy look for young classical pianists. Why does Yuja need to look prim and proper? We already have trouble filling concert halls and attracting the young generation to classical music. Why not a piano teacher that looks stylish, not boring? Not everyone will like her style. But because I am seeing so many young people with piercings and tattoos, I think young students will think this teacher looks great!

Re: I usually don't post here, but.... [Re: Rich Galassini] #2910684
11/11/19 06:37 AM
11/11/19 06:37 AM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

3000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

3000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
Rich, thanks for posting the video here. The fact that we are commenting as much about her tattoos as about the content of her video just shows that people still judge based on appearance and the setting. Do you want people thinking about her tattoos or about her teaching?

Sam

Re: I usually don't post here, but.... [Re: Sam S] #2910685
11/11/19 06:43 AM
11/11/19 06:43 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Sam S
The fact that we are commenting as much about her tattoos as about the content of her video just shows that people still judge based on appearance and the setting.

That people do judge doesn't mean people should judge. People can be racist or discriminatory too, it doesn't mean that they should be that way.

To comment on the video and suggest changes in dress or decorum so "others" won't have issues and the video is well-received is one thing. To comment on the video because one is judgmental oneself is another. The latter is what I addressed above, not the former. The former is perhaps fair enough.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: I usually don't post here, but.... [Re: Rich Galassini] #2910689
11/11/19 06:58 AM
11/11/19 06:58 AM
TomInCinci Offline
TomInCinci  Offline

I enjoyed the video. I was a bit distracted by the tattoos but so what? Surely that is their purpose. In an actual lesson I need 100% of my concentration and couldn't necessarily tell you if the teacher was nekkid that day...

Re: I usually don't post here, but.... [Re: BruceD] #2910709
11/11/19 08:30 AM
11/11/19 08:30 AM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted by BruceD
...Oh well, it's a generational thing, isn't it?

Yes.
Consumption of videos is generational as well.

Learner
Re: I usually don't post here, but.... [Re: Rich Galassini] #2910710
11/11/19 08:45 AM
11/11/19 08:45 AM
Southwest
j&j Online content
1000 Post Club Member
j&j  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Southwest
Thank you Rich for posting that video. The young woman’s tattoos and dress make a statement, which is probably the exact reason she paid the money, endured the discomfort or pain to get the tattoo and dressed to show it off. One of our Pastors has tattoos completely around both arms. I certainly don’t find it offensive but for me it is rather distracting. The same with multiple face piercings. I just can’t stop staring at all the shiny things on their face.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I bought myself a Yamaha P71!
by Tyrone Slothrop. 11/14/19 03:49 PM
8 foot pianos
by funnypiano. 11/14/19 01:57 PM
What is this song?
by scriabinfanatic. 11/14/19 01:51 PM
Meeting other pianists
by uprightcitizen. 11/14/19 01:36 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,092
Posts2,890,809
Members94,968
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission