Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
129 registered members (AndrewJCW, Ankee, AlphaBravoCharlie, Blague, accordeur, agent8698, Antihero, achoo42, ando, 37 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yamaha CLP675 vs Kawai CA78 vs Casio GP310 #2909050
11/07/19 01:41 AM
11/07/19 01:41 AM
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 103
B
Beowulf Offline OP
Full Member
Beowulf  Offline OP
Full Member
B

Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 103
Hello everyone. Previously, I sold my Yamaha CLP645 in order to get a Yamaha U1 upright piano as my teacher was saying an acoustic would be much better for my learning. Just recently, I managed to find the space in my home to accommodate another digital piano so I can play late in the night. These are the 3 DPs within my budget that I am considering;

Yamaha CLP675 - Last time, I did not feel comfortable with the touch of the Yamaha CLP675 as I felt it was too stiff. But recently when I tried it again at the store, I realised how much I actually love it now. Maybe my experience with the Yamaha U1 upright has made me comfortable with it? The cabinet also looks the best among the 3 I am considering.

Kawai CA78 - Absolutely lovely touch. It feels much lighter than the Yamaha line of DPs. I can't decide if I love this or the Yamaha CLP675's GrandTouch action more.

Casio GP310 - Haven't got the chance to try this one yet. But since many people here are praising the action, I suppose I should give this some serious consideration.

With regards to the speaker systems and piano sounds among the 3 of these, is it possible to determine which is the best? From where I was testing them out, there was too much noise pollution around the stores for me to determine. However, my initial thought was that the Yamaha CLP675 triumphs the Kawai CA78 in realism and clarity.

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Yamaha CLP675 vs Kawai CA78 vs Casio GP310 [Re: Beowulf] #2909053
11/07/19 02:01 AM
11/07/19 02:01 AM
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 2
A
ark11 Offline
Junior Member
ark11  Offline
Junior Member
A

Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 2
I bought the 675 earlier this year for the exact reason that it's touch is on the heavy side. It does remind me of playing an upright more than a grand. I haven't had any problems transitioning to an acoustic or had any issues even after long stretches of playing, so it's not _that_ stiff.

I can't comment on the sound differences that much, although having tested in the store against quite a lot of other DPs, it definitely had one of the more impressive sound systems. I think the CFX sample is very bright and clear, maybe even a bit too much sometimes, so I enjoy the Bosendorfer sound that is a bit more warm and muffled sometimes. I think the samples are exactly the same in 645, so you should be pretty familiar with them (although the speakers pale in comparison).

The Kawai is probably the safer pick. Some people don't like the 675 touch too much, so if you're ever looking to sell it off, Kawai might be the better pick.

Re: Yamaha CLP675 vs Kawai CA78 vs Casio GP310 [Re: Beowulf] #2909354
11/07/19 10:23 PM
11/07/19 10:23 PM
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 64
D
djvu10 Offline
Full Member
djvu10  Offline
Full Member
D

Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 64
I play a friend's 7' Steinway and another friend's 9' Steinway pretty regularly and always thought I'd want the heaviest action I can find. My friends are accomplished classical pianist but I'm not; I play and sing pop music.

I went to a Kawai/Yamaha dealer last week and spent 2 hours playing the N3X, CLP695gp, NV10 and CA78 in all different orders. I want a grand body so I wanted badly to love the CLP695gp but in the end I didn't care for its action at all; to me, it felt heavy but in the most unnatural way. The N3X felt natural but a bit on the light side for me. When I first touched the NV10, I didn't think I'd like it but started liking it more and more; it felt natural and right. After the NV10, I went back to the CA78 and expected it to feel horrible but it didn't; it felt quite nice.

When I move next year, I'd love to get something like a NV10 and CA98 in a decent quality grand body. Meanwhile, I bought the more portable MP11se (I paid $1999 so I can always find a place in the house for it).

Re: Yamaha CLP675 vs Kawai CA78 vs Casio GP310 [Re: Beowulf] #2909389
11/08/19 03:26 AM
11/08/19 03:26 AM
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 97
Gothenburg, Sweden
J
johanibraaten Online content
Full Member
johanibraaten  Online Content
Full Member
J

Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 97
Gothenburg, Sweden
Hi Beowulf. I think you have picked three worthy contenders:) I like the sound on both the CA 78 and CLP 675. I think they are of equal "quality" so it really comes down to what sound ideal you prefer. Of the three I slightly prefer the sample of SK-EX in the CA 78 because I like the sound of the acoustic original more than the Yamaha CFX but both are world class instruments. I like the string resonance more in the Yamaha though, I find the string resonance of the Kawai sound to be a little unnatural, but I guess it's possible to adjust that to ones personal liking. The Casio contains the sounds of a Steinway, a Bösendorfer and a Bechstein which of course also are world class instruments as, but to me they aren't quite as authentic as the Kawai or the Yamaha counterparts. I also find the sustain of the sounds in the Casio to be a little short to my liking, but that is my personal preference and others might prefer the sound in the Casio. When it comes to the action I prefer the Casio. I think that is a really great action that is only exceeded by the Novus and AvantGrand lines from Kawai and Yamaha, but the price I quite steep on those instruments. But again, this is just my personal preference, all of these pianos have great action and you should pick the one you like the best.

Re: Yamaha CLP675 vs Kawai CA78 vs Casio GP310 [Re: Beowulf] #2909453
11/08/19 07:58 AM
11/08/19 07:58 AM
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 163
B
Burkie Offline
Full Member
Burkie  Offline
Full Member
B

Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 163
I played all three of these last Saturday.

Then after them in the same store I played the Roland LX706.

The LX706 won.

So after playing all three of those I invite you to the same challenge.
Find a Roland LX706 - set it to European piano 2 (important), disable the duplex scaling - and crank up the volume. Prepare to be blown away.

Re: Yamaha CLP675 vs Kawai CA78 vs Casio GP310 [Re: johanibraaten] #2909970
11/09/19 10:28 AM
11/09/19 10:28 AM
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 103
B
Beowulf Offline OP
Full Member
Beowulf  Offline OP
Full Member
B

Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 103
Originally Posted by ark11
I bought the 675 earlier this year for the exact reason that it's touch is on the heavy side. It does remind me of playing an upright more than a grand. I haven't had any problems transitioning to an acoustic or had any issues even after long stretches of playing, so it's not _that_ stiff.

I can't comment on the sound differences that much, although having tested in the store against quite a lot of other DPs, it definitely had one of the more impressive sound systems. I think the CFX sample is very bright and clear, maybe even a bit too much sometimes, so I enjoy the Bosendorfer sound that is a bit more warm and muffled sometimes. I think the samples are exactly the same in 645, so you should be pretty familiar with them (although the speakers pale in comparison).

The Kawai is probably the safer pick. Some people don't like the 675 touch too much, so if you're ever looking to sell it off, Kawai might be the better pick.


I agree with you that the touch of the 675 feels quite similar to an upright. I might be one of the few who actually dislikes both the CFX and Bosendorfer. The Mellow Grand is what I usually play with since back when I was using the 645.

I just discovered that the Kawai CA series is being overpriced in my country. The CA78 being even more expensive than the Yamaha CLP685. Hence, it's totally beyond my budget.

Originally Posted by johanibraaten
Hi Beowulf. I think you have picked three worthy contenders:) I like the sound on both the CA 78 and CLP 675. I think they are of equal "quality" so it really comes down to what sound ideal you prefer. Of the three I slightly prefer the sample of SK-EX in the CA 78 because I like the sound of the acoustic original more than the Yamaha CFX but both are world class instruments. I like the string resonance more in the Yamaha though, I find the string resonance of the Kawai sound to be a little unnatural, but I guess it's possible to adjust that to ones personal liking. The Casio contains the sounds of a Steinway, a Bösendorfer and a Bechstein which of course also are world class instruments as, but to me they aren't quite as authentic as the Kawai or the Yamaha counterparts. I also find the sustain of the sounds in the Casio to be a little short to my liking, but that is my personal preference and others might prefer the sound in the Casio. When it comes to the action I prefer the Casio. I think that is a really great action that is only exceeded by the Novus and AvantGrand lines from Kawai and Yamaha, but the price I quite steep on those instruments. But again, this is just my personal preference, all of these pianos have great action and you should pick the one you like the best.


Just managed to find a place to test the Casio GP300 (310 has yet to arrive) and the piano sounds within the Casio GP are indeed lovely and I like every one of them. However, like you mentioned, the sustain does come up short. The action response is great but I decided to go for the 675 as the latter has synthetic ivory keytops which work better for my sweaty palms.

Re: Yamaha CLP675 vs Kawai CA78 vs Casio GP310 [Re: Beowulf] #2909973
11/09/19 10:42 AM
11/09/19 10:42 AM
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 97
Gothenburg, Sweden
J
johanibraaten Online content
Full Member
johanibraaten  Online Content
Full Member
J

Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 97
Gothenburg, Sweden
Congratulations to your new piano, I'm sure you will be very happy with it. And the Yamaha the USB audio interface which is a very nice feature.

Re: Yamaha CLP675 vs Kawai CA78 vs Casio GP310 [Re: Beowulf] #2910230
11/10/19 12:55 AM
11/10/19 12:55 AM
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 163
B
Burkie Offline
Full Member
Burkie  Offline
Full Member
B

Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 163
Originally Posted by Beowulf

Just managed to find a place to test the Casio GP300 (310 has yet to arrive) and the piano sounds within the Casio GP are indeed lovely and I like every one of them. However, like you mentioned, the sustain does come up short. The action response is great but I decided to go for the 675 as the latter has synthetic ivory keytops which work better for my sweaty palms.

Yes, I also noted that the GP-300 keys have the grip of a dog on lino! It's fine if you live in a cold climate, or have air conditioning on 24/7, or if you Botox your sweat glands (I recently discovered that the Australian government actually pays for that lol) - but for the rest of us we need porous key surfaces with grip!!!

Glad someone else on here prefers the CLP-675 over the CLP-685. Good decision.

Last edited by Burkie; 11/10/19 12:58 AM.
Re: Yamaha CLP675 vs Kawai CA78 vs Casio GP310 [Re: Burkie] #2910597
11/10/19 09:18 PM
11/10/19 09:18 PM
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 103
B
Beowulf Offline OP
Full Member
Beowulf  Offline OP
Full Member
B

Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 103
Originally Posted by Burkie
Originally Posted by Beowulf

Just managed to find a place to test the Casio GP300 (310 has yet to arrive) and the piano sounds within the Casio GP are indeed lovely and I like every one of them. However, like you mentioned, the sustain does come up short. The action response is great but I decided to go for the 675 as the latter has synthetic ivory keytops which work better for my sweaty palms.

Yes, I also noted that the GP-300 keys have the grip of a dog on lino! It's fine if you live in a cold climate, or have air conditioning on 24/7, or if you Botox your sweat glands (I recently discovered that the Australian government actually pays for that lol) - but for the rest of us we need porous key surfaces with grip!!!

Glad someone else on here prefers the CLP-675 over the CLP-685. Good decision.

Unfortunately, it is humid all year round where I live. I've read and heard that treatment for sweat glands underneath our palms can lead to side effects on some other parts of our body, so I'm not gonna risk it!

The CLP685 is way out of my budget considering the 675 was already a stretch for me. When I tried them both side by side, I did not feel a world of difference in how the keys respond. The speaker quality was the only noticeable thing between the two.


Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Shigeru Kawai SK-EX
by CyberGene. 11/14/19 04:07 PM
I bought myself a Yamaha P71!
by Tyrone Slothrop. 11/14/19 03:49 PM
8 foot pianos
by funnypiano. 11/14/19 01:57 PM
What is this song?
by scriabinfanatic. 11/14/19 01:51 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,092
Posts2,890,809
Members94,968
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers


Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1