Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
135 registered members (Alex Hutor, 604Rakuda, AndrewJCW, Antihero, Arty Movie, AlphaBravoCharlie, Ankee, accordeur, agent8698, 35 invisible), 1,887 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Sight reading level #2909550
11/08/19 11:56 AM
11/08/19 11:56 AM
UK
Gary001 Offline OP
Gary001  Offline OP

UK
As with most I'd like to improve my sight reading. I made a start a while back with the (ABRSM) grade 1 sight reading book by Harris, although I never quite got around to doing more than the first page or two smile

I'm now planning to do this properly with a few minutes practice every day at the start of my practice session.

What I'm curious about is, at which grade level would you receive pieces that are grade 1 material and be expected to sight read.

Also, any suggestions for a good source of levelled material to practice with in case I reach the end of the Harris grade 1 or grade 2 book without feeling ready to move on ? Once I hit a point where I have advanced far enough to start sight reading practice with actual grade 1 pieces, then I'll have ample material to pull from, but until then, I'm not sure of the best place to look?

I'm also tempted to buy some more actual grade 1 material (whether it's the abrsm exam pieces, or rcm repertoire or just similar levelled material such as the Connections for Piano book 1) as those are pieces I can learn quite quickly in a few days to a week. Even though they're actually above my sight reading level they might help push my sight reading along further through sheer volume of reading pieces?

Last edited by Gary001; 11/08/19 12:00 PM.

[Linked Image] XIX, XIV, XII, XI
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Sight reading level [Re: Gary001] #2909552
11/08/19 12:05 PM
11/08/19 12:05 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Gary001
What I'm curious about is, at which grade level would you receive pieces that are grade 1 material and be expected to sight read.

The "rule of thumb" that I've seen is that one should sight-read pieces roughly two levels below what they can play repertoire pieces. So if you are playing ABRSM grade 3 repertoire comfortably, you should be striving to sight read ABRSM grade 1 repertoire. This is at least a target - I'm definitely not there, myself - no way can I sight-read RCM level 2 pieces, yet.

This said, it is unclear what "Grade Level" Harris Grade 1 really is (from a standard grade level perspective). Just because Harris calls the book Grade 1, does this mean the pieces are about the level of ABRSM Grade 1 repertoire, for example? Or the sight-reading material roughly at a Preparatory level because it is sight-reading practice for ABRSM Grade 1 level students? I am guessing not, but maybe someone actually knows the real answer to this question.

I found Harris incredibly hard myself. I needed something more remedial.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Sight reading level [Re: Gary001] #2909560
11/08/19 12:27 PM
11/08/19 12:27 PM
Connecticut, USA
MichaelJK Offline

MichaelJK  Offline

Connecticut, USA

I'm also tempted to buy some more actual grade 1 material (whether it's the abrsm exam pieces, or rcm repertoire or just similar levelled material such as the Connections for Piano book 1) as those are pieces I can learn quite quickly in a few days to a week. Even though they're actually above my sight reading level they might help push my sight reading along further through sheer volume of reading pieces?

I think you should try following your intuition here. The power of "sheer volume" is often underestimated. The more music you read, the faster you will get better at sight-reading. It is not crucial that you play every note correctly. (I have a blog post about this)

Re: Sight reading level [Re: Gary001] #2909606
11/08/19 02:46 PM
11/08/19 02:46 PM
UK
Gary001 Offline OP
Gary001  Offline OP

UK
Tyrone: The Harris Grade 1 books are certainly not Grade 1 piece material that's for sure.

I think the book is "Grade 1" in the sense that it's the level you're expected to be sight reading at for a grade 1 exam. A you say, that is going to be a few levels below your actual playing level and the level of an actual grade 1 piece.

[Linked Image] XIX, XIV, XII, XI
Re: Sight reading level [Re: Gary001] #2909629
11/08/19 03:20 PM
11/08/19 03:20 PM

7000 Post Club Member

Tyrone: The Harris Grade 1 books are certainly not Grade 1 piece material that's for sure.

I think the book is "Grade 1" in the sense that it's the level you're expected to be sight reading at for a grade 1 exam. A you say, that is going to be a few levels below your actual playing level and the level of an actual grade 1 piece.

Yep, that sounds about right then.

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Sight reading level [Re: Gary001] #2909632
11/08/19 03:25 PM
11/08/19 03:25 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
Good project; I keep wanting to practice more sight reading, but then it falls off due to more pressing issues on the piano. Keep us posted!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions
Grieg Sonata - Andante molto

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Sight reading level [Re: Gary001] #2909694
11/08/19 04:51 PM
11/08/19 04:51 PM
Cambridge, UK
Brahms4 Offline
Brahms4  Offline

Cambridge, UK
I think Paul Harris has written quite a lot of books so I'm not sure which you're referring to - is it Improve your Sight reading? That's a Faber book, so I guess not. The series is good as it teaches you techniques and isn't just pages of tunes. The ABRSM exam books are updated every few years, so if you run out you can always purchase an older edition from Amazon or abebooks etc. Also Trinity publishes graded sight reading.

Last edited by Brahms4; 11/08/19 04:52 PM.
Re: Sight reading level [Re: Gary001] #2909740
11/08/19 06:03 PM
11/08/19 06:03 PM
rocket88 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
rocket88  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Sight reading is an additional skill that does not necessarily equate with one's skill level of general playing.

Playing the piano is so complicated (reading, looking ahead to the next measure /phrase while playing the previous, tempo and dynamic control, etc,) that each person's ability in each aspect of playing is different. Therefore, assigning a level upon which to start is problematic.

I have had students (adults) who could play quite well, but stumbled at sight-reading very simple music.

Therefore, going "2 levels below" or whatever, is sketchy at best, especially because the "levels" themselves are somewhat vague, and do vary according to whoever is compiling the list.

So, because sight reading takes so much brain power, and is new to those starting out with it, I have found that the best approach is to start sight-reading at the very lowest level, the bottom.

Begin by sight reading the most simple things, entry level music, basic drills such as "A Dozen a Day". When you are comfortable there, go up a (small) notch. Starting at the bottom provides plenty of available repertoire that gently increases. I find with adults that kids level 1 and up books are great...big notes, easy to read, simple to play.

The benefits to starting at the bottom, and rising up by playing ever more complicated music, you accomplish two things:

1. You will be practicing sight-reading with the least chance of error, thus building the skill.

2. As you improve, and can sight-reading increasingly difficult music, you will automatically find your "level", which is where you should stay for a while and gently increase it from there.

Piano teacher.
Re: Sight reading level [Re: Gary001] #2909751
11/08/19 06:22 PM
11/08/19 06:22 PM
Australia
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Australia
the rule of thumb about sight reading two levels below your playing level can be misleading. I advanced quite quickly to grade 3 & 4 pieces but because I didn't read from the score (and largely skipped early material) my sight reading never advanced below a negative value smirk

I have the Paul Harris Improve your sight reading books grade 2-7. The series I have are noted as being workbooks for associated board exams; I presume ABRSM, but they are also compatible (mostly) with my AMEB requirements. These are great books and I just found out recently you can hear/download all the exercises being played from the Faber website, which is a great resource.

Following Trying to follow the Ling Ling 40 hour method

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Sight reading level [Re: Gary001] #2909901
11/09/19 06:09 AM
11/09/19 06:09 AM
S
Sidokar Online content
Sidokar  Online Content
S

I would say you should start at the most basic and simple level. Then if that works for you, you can slowly tackle more advanced pieces. Reading is really specific to each person and it involves different skills, knowing the notes, the position on the keyboard, rythmic values, ornaments, .... so it is a complex capability which develops over time. Then some people pick it quickly and for others it takes more time. In any case i would not connect you playing level with the sight reading as those can be completely different.

Re: Sight reading level [Re: Sidokar] #2909923
11/09/19 07:42 AM
11/09/19 07:42 AM

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Sidokar
In any case i would not connect you playing level with the sight reading as those can be completely different.

That said, the graded exams (ABRSM, RCM, AMEB, etc.) do connect sight reading level to each grade level.

Re: Sight reading level [Re: Gary001] #2910322
11/10/19 09:13 AM
11/10/19 09:13 AM
Southwest
j&j Online content
1000 Post Club Member
j&j  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Southwest
There was a trick I learned at a university Group Piano Course. We were tested frequently on sight reading. We were allowed 5 minutes to review the music before playing but we couldn’t touch the piano. We could practice on an “air piano” for the 5 minutes. That little trick really helped reduce mistakes. I also found an app that uses “flash cards” to improve sight reading skills. Thank heavens I’m not a studio musician that has to sight read at a moment’s notice.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Sight reading level [Re: Gary001] #2910541
11/10/19 06:40 PM
11/10/19 06:40 PM
Rocky Mountains, USA
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
EP  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rocky Mountains, USA
I agree with Sidokar - start with the easiest material you can find and move on from there.

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Shigeru Kawai SK-EX
by CyberGene. 11/14/19 04:07 PM
I bought myself a Yamaha P71!
by Tyrone Slothrop. 11/14/19 03:49 PM
8 foot pianos
by funnypiano. 11/14/19 01:57 PM
What is this song?
by scriabinfanatic. 11/14/19 01:51 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,095
Posts2,890,844
Members94,968
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission