2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,817 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by LarryK
Originally Posted by Carey

Sigh, yes, I saw that one. The trouble is that I don’t believe I have the political capital with my wife to pull off the purchase right now.

Marriage is like that, you know, you have to figure out when the wind is fair.

I am dreaming a bit early, I am afraid, but it will happen, I will buy a piano. It doesn’t make sense to rent long term.
Larry - I understand the spousal politics ha- and of course, I know nothing about the age or condition of this particular instrument. However, I'm under the impression that SP Masterpiece Series uprights with Renner actions are rare in the USA, and the current SP uprights don't quite measure up even though the casework is gorgeous.

I guess my point is, sometimes exceptional deals pop up unexpectedly and are too good to pass up. Case in point... back in 2006 I stumbled upon a two year old Mason and Hamlin BB (7 foot semi concert grand) for sale for only $22K. Unfortunately I didn't have much spare cash sitting around, and my wife had already been quite understanding four years earlier when I financed $10K for a 5'7" Korean built baby grand piano. But with her blessing, I borrowed against the cash value of my whole life insurance policy and took out loan from my credit union to purchase the M&H. I eventually sold the Korean grand at a loss on consignment (during the recession - so it took about a year.), but when the dust settled, I had invested about $30K in a piano that normally would have sold new in the mid $50s. It was well worth the risk.

But as you say, timing is everything. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
You are in a piano wonderland! Most people on this board do not have nearly the access to the options in New York City. I live in Texas but when in NY I enjoy going to see some of the brands not available here (though DFW has most brands I would say). Just go and play, that's the only way. You have a great luxury.

L
LarryK Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by dhull100
You are in a piano wonderland! Most people on this board do not have nearly the access to the options in New York City. I live in Texas but when in NY I enjoy going to see some of the brands not available here (though DFW has most brands I would say). Just go and play, that's the only way. You have a great luxury.

It’s nice that New York is known as Piano Wonderland. Haha! Yes, I have to get out and shop around.

If the next piano is my lifetime piano, I may need to raise my number. Still, think of all the grands I don’t have to consider!

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dhull100

It’s nice that New York is known as Piano Wonderland. Haha! Yes, I have to get out and shop around.

If the next piano is my lifetime piano, I may need to raise my number. Still, think of all the grands I don’t have to consider!

Since you’re not quite ready to purchase just yet, you have much more time to go to different piano dealers and play every single upright on the floor. Take notes. Have fun. When the time is right, you’ll know exactly where to go and what to try. Purchase the one you love.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
S
S
Check out the Samick family of pianos. The Eduard Seiler ED-126M is right around 48 inches, and has a magnetic action which most accurately mimics the action of a grand piano. It also has a solid soundboard.

You can 't go wrong with any of the Samick family. I'm partial to the Knabe pianos. They are built to German standards, and have a strong US history. http://www.knabepianos.com/history.php

If I had my choice, I'd get this one...http://www.knabepianos.com/wkv121.php

Originally Posted by StevenJ
Check out the Samick family of pianos. The Eduard Seiler ED-126M is right around 48 inches, and has a magnetic action which most accurately mimics the action of a grand piano. It also has a solid soundboard.

You can 't go wrong with any of the Samick family. I'm partial to the Knabe pianos. They are built to German standards, and have a strong US history. http://www.knabepianos.com/history.php

I mean no disrespect (honestly), but the majority of Samick built Knabes have little resemblance to the Knabe's built in the USA, other than the name. However, I understand that the grand pianos in the higher end Concert Artist series do follow the scale and case designs of the original 19th and 20th century Knabes. As for the current models, I'm not sure what you mean by "built to German standards." Can you elaborate? smile

That said, I'm sure the WKV121 is a very nice piano !!

Last edited by Carey; 11/10/19 06:03 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by StevenJ

Seiler --My childhood piano.This was a legendary great European piano! One of the top!
Now it is " part of the Samick family "
"How the mighty have fallen" ! (actually I find it sad ,those are just personal feelings)
Yes I agree with Steven J, these are very good pianos with a great action and "European tone"
The 130 size was the nicest I thought.
This is a very good replica of the real thing which is still made in Germany. (See Brand Profiles ) However I think the Edward Seiler makes use of German parts and I think uses Renner action?
Not sure about that ..
I tried the 124 and the 130 size.Perhaps they have them in New York ?

L
LarryK Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
L
I wrote to a friend about wanting to buy an upright and he said, always buy German, so I sent him the link to PianoBuyer. I’m not sure he’s gotten over the shock yet. Still, if I can divide the price by 30 years, maybe it doesn’t really matter. At least, that’s what I keep telling myself.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
I wrote to a friend about wanting to buy an upright and he said, always buy German, so I sent him the link to PianoBuyer. I’m not sure he’s gotten over the shock yet. Still, if I can divide the price by 30 years, maybe it doesn’t really matter. At least, that’s what I keep telling myself.

Hi Larry
Of course, German uprights are truly outstanding.... but keep an open mind when you start looking rather than narrowing down your options before you test drive. You don’t know what will become your forever piano until you meet it.

D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D

Go Manhattan for Faust Harrison and Beethoven Pianos for starters. You'll be spoiled for choice. Yamaha, Sauter, C Bechstein, Grotrian, and others. Could call ahead as a courtesy. I'm sure you will be welcomed. I can tell you probably no other city in the world offers those on the same block, as in footsteps from each other.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
A YUS5 although tall has a Sostenuto and a device where this pedal becomes a practice pedal.
Actually not a very powerful tone like some 130 sized pianos .But a very good piano.
I am never sure how successful sostenuto pedals are on uprights ?
The Steinways 46" (not furniture model )I did not like using the sostenuto it seemed to affect the touch in a really weird way. I did not like the sound at all either of this piano .Perhaps the instrument just arrived from the warehouse.I have never seen it in the store before.

L
LarryK Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
A YUS5 although tall has a Sostenuto and a device where this pedal becomes a practice pedal.
Actually not a very powerful tone like some 130 sized pianos .But a very good piano.
The Steinways 46" (not furniture model )I did not like using the sostenuto it seemed to affect the touch in a really weird way. I did not like the sound at all either of this piano .Perhaps the instrument just arrived from the warehouse.I have never seen it in the store before.

LadyBird,

Does your Sauter have a sostenuto pedal? Could somebody explain how a sostenuto pedal on an upright works to allow only some notes to ring on? I’m not that big a fan of a piece of felt between the hammers and strings, which is all a practice pedal does on most uprights, although I guess practice pedals can also reduce the distance between the hammers and the strings. I think it’s easy to add a piece of felt and a lever to any upright in order to get the functionality of a practice pedal.

Last edited by LarryK; 11/11/19 09:10 AM.
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Check out the Ritmüller UH-121R. Punches way above its price point, with a lovely clear, singing tone, excellent sustain and a responsive action.

Last edited by adamp88; 11/11/19 09:17 AM.

Adam Schulte-Bukowinski, RPT
Piano Technician, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
ASB Piano Service
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Lady Bird

I may be wrong about the tonal power of the YUS5 .(in a large dealer showroom one cannot always
judge when the instrument is surrounded by other pianos )
Yes my piano has a sostenuto pedal.Many pianists even advanced never use a sostenuto.
A practice pedal (muffler,centre pedal) is useful in apartments.(you can even practice a few scales with it at midnight if you can't sleep ?)
The soft pedal is on the left and the hammers move forward so the hammer strike is decreased.
There is however lost motion so and the touch is affected on uprights.It is best not to use the soft
pedal for practice.,until you are much more advanced and want to seriously interpret music.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 11/11/19 02:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by adamp88
Check out the Ritmüller UH-121R. Punches way above its price point, with a lovely clear, singing tone, excellent sustain and a responsive action.

I am glad your piano has such a lovely tone and and a sensitive response.Enjoy !
LarryK needs to try one of these as well.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission