Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
122 registered members (accordeur, AlphaBravoCharlie, AndrewJCW, agent8698, Antihero, achoo42, ando, Ankee, 40 invisible), 1,934 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
About "melody voicing" #2910329
11/10/19 09:27 AM
11/10/19 09:27 AM
P
paxel Offline OP
paxel  Offline OP
P

Hello, is there an "official" english term for the voicing tecnique (most used in arrangements) when you play (for example with the right hand) harmony notes LIGHTLY with the fingers 1-2 and melody notes STRONGER with fingers 4-5 ?

Usually "voicing" refers to chord theory, so it's not easy to make an internet search about the matter.

Do you know studies, theory, books etc. about it?
It seems to me that this subject is a bit neglected in studies, (maybe because it's most used in arrangements?)

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: About "melody voicing" [Re: paxel] #2910338
11/10/19 09:47 AM
11/10/19 09:47 AM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
B

Voicing (chords etc) in classical music refers to playing certain notes (usually the melody and/or its counterpoint) louder than others.

It is an important skill for all classical pianists to master, because without it, you cannot play huge swathes of the Romantic and post-Romantic rep properly, because melodies and counter-melodies and inner lines etc are embedded within complex chords and passagework. And I'm talking original piano music, not arrangements. For instance, here Horowitz is playing with his RH both melody (with 4 & 5) and accompaniment (with other fingers) from the start onwards, but he brings out (and phrases) the melody strongly, such that you'd never guess from listening that the same hand is doing both:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcfkyW_uVBQ

(Jazzers stole that term ('voicing') to use it as meaning the arrangement of the notes (inversions etc) within chords.)

Here's a classical teacher talking about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNGWFxnA_SQ

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: About "melody voicing" [Re: paxel] #2910343
11/10/19 10:09 AM
11/10/19 10:09 AM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B

The preceding videos to the one I posted above may be more relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhlbTTKtFhk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh23Ox_L7gA

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: About "melody voicing" [Re: bennevis] #2910347
11/10/19 10:24 AM
11/10/19 10:24 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by bennevis
(Jazzers stole that term ('voicing') to use it as meaning the arrangement of the notes (inversions etc) within chords.)

There is a third meaning too.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: About "melody voicing" [Re: paxel] #2910354
11/10/19 10:56 AM
11/10/19 10:56 AM
W
wszxbcl Online content
wszxbcl  Online Content
W

I believe you are referring to polyphonic playing? It's not neglected at all. My teacher started me on it in my first year. You need to have this notion, but the training to do it well doesn't happen as quickly.

Re: About "melody voicing" [Re: wszxbcl] #2910355
11/10/19 11:00 AM
11/10/19 11:00 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
Originally Posted by wszxbcl
I believe you are referring to polyphonic playing? It's not neglected at all. My teacher started me on it in my first year. You need to have this notion, but the training to do it well doesn't happen as quickly.
The OP specifically said playing of chords which is not polyphonic playing.

Re: About "melody voicing" [Re: paxel] #2910356
11/10/19 11:02 AM
11/10/19 11:02 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
Originally Posted by paxel
Hello, is there an "official" english term for the voicing tecnique (most used in arrangements) when you play (for example with the right hand) harmony notes LIGHTLY with the fingers 1-2 and melody notes STRONGER with fingers 4-5 ?
There is no special term. If you google something like "voicing a melody on the piano" you will see many articles about what you asked:
https://www.google.com/search?as_q=...e=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=

Last edited by pianoloverus; 11/10/19 11:03 AM.
Re: About "melody voicing" [Re: paxel] #2910399
11/10/19 01:33 PM
11/10/19 01:33 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by paxel

[...]

Voicing of a melody in original classical music - classical with a small "c" - is a very important technique to master. Not only must one voice the melody (usually the upper note) to sound above the accompaniment, but that melody must be voiced so that the entire phrase of which it is a part connects smoothly from the beginning to the end of the phrase. One therefore not only has to listen and adjust for the volume of each melody note above its accompaniment, one has to adjust the following melody note so that it does not stand out in an obtrusive way (either too soft or too loud).

This is an advanced skill that is enhanced by learning to listen critically to the sounds that we produce, not to what we think we are producing.

When the melody note is the top note of a chord or harmonic structure, it is (relatively speaking) easy to voice the melody, as the higher notes tend to carry better and dominate in the listeners mind. When the melody is embedded between an upper accompaniment and a lower one, then the challenge becomes even more difficult. This is a skill that is, to many of us, a never-ending challenge, but a satisfying one when mastered.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: About "melody voicing" [Re: paxel] #2910407
11/10/19 01:53 PM
11/10/19 01:53 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
This is an example from a "relatively easy" piece, (Brahms Intermezzo, Op. 117, No. 1) where the melody weaves not only from the top note of the right hand, but from the right hand to the top notes in the left, as indicated by the red lines I have drawn. All the accompaniment must be subservient to the melody, and the challenge, as I indicated in the previous post is to ensure that the melody moves in appropriate volume from note to note (in the shape of appropriate phrasing) and is never overshadowed by the accompaniment:

[Linked Image]

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: About "melody voicing" [Re: BruceD] #2910471
11/10/19 04:16 PM
11/10/19 04:16 PM

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by BruceD
This is an example from a "relatively easy" piece, (Brahms Intermezzo, Op. 117, No. 1) where the melody weaves not only from the top note of the right hand, but from the right hand to the top notes in the left, as indicated by the red lines I have drawn. All the accompaniment must be subservient to the melody, and the challenge, as I indicated in the previous post is to ensure that the melody moves in appropriate volume from note to note (in the shape of appropriate phrasing) and is never overshadowed by the accompaniment:

[Linked Image]

Regards,

I have a few pieces that require voicing and I have really struggled to voice in one hand, especially in the RH. I really wish there were exercises which I can practice and get better at this. My struggle with voicing even causes unnatural tension in my hand, which in turn might have triggered my recent bout of tennis elbow.

I've gotten different advice, suggestions, and instructions, including from my teacher, and while it all is likely good, it just remains a big weakness and is a bit discouraging. Does anyone know of any simple exercises I can repeat a few hundred times that will allow me to develop the control needed to voice properly? My weakness in voicing makes me scared any time I look at a pieces that has a SATB-ish quality...

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: About "melody voicing" [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2910479
11/10/19 04:25 PM
11/10/19 04:25 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by BruceD

[Linked Image]

Regards,

I have a few pieces that require voicing and I have really struggled to voice in one hand, especially in the RH. I really wish there were exercises which I can practice and get better at this. My struggle with voicing even causes unnatural tension in my hand, which in turn might have triggered my recent bout of tennis elbow.

I've gotten different advice, suggestions, and instructions, including from my teacher, and while it all is likely good, it just remains a big weakness and is a bit discouraging. Does anyone know of any simple exercises I can repeat a few hundred times that will allow me to develop the control needed to voice properly? My weakness in voicing makes me scared any time I look at a pieces that has a SATB-ish quality...

I can only speak for myself, but for me it all depends on my ears. There's no way I could consciously manage the fine motorics required. And I too become tense if I try to analyze and control the movements of my fingers by some logic. So I let my ears guide me. I practice until I get the sound right and then after that I just remember the sound and let my hands do what is needed. Of course good fingering is essential too, but it's probably less of a problem if your hands are not on the small side.

Of course I have also practiced a lot, since unlike you I love to play music with several voices and find it easier to read too. I assume you have practiced with slow pieces first?

Re: About "melody voicing" [Re: paxel] #2910494
11/10/19 05:06 PM
11/10/19 05:06 PM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B

To be able to bring out melodic notes with the right pinky (where it's most common), it's often a matter of thinking you're going to exert "pressure" with that finger and therefore 'press harder' with it. In reality, of course, you're just playing mind games - you're moving that finger faster downwards. But often thinking about the right word can trigger off the right 'movement'.

It's much more tricky to bring out inner notes. First, you need to have achieved full finger independence. Play a five-finger chord (say, a diminished 7th) with one hand and see if you can bring out each note in the chord at will while the other notes stay evenly subdued (and all sounding together), while playing the chord repeatedly. Not easy.......

Re: About "melody voicing" [Re: paxel] #2910717
11/11/19 09:41 AM
11/11/19 09:41 AM
S
stem_pianist Offline
stem_pianist  Offline
S

Interesting comments.

For me, playing it works ok, but understanding the physics is another.

To be louder, the key acceleration must be higher (right?). So, for a simultaneous sound the moving of melody note key has to start later.... or, maybe I start playing all chord notes at the same time, but at the last moment give the melody an extra kick of acceleration? Maybe different people have different physical motions to achieve?

I sometimes look at a finger and say - 'what are you doing to get that effect'? Never answers. Would be interesting to high-speed video it.

Re: About "melody voicing" [Re: stem_pianist] #2910744
11/11/19 10:42 AM
11/11/19 10:42 AM

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by stem_pianist
To be louder, the key acceleration must be higher (right?)

Velocity, not acceleration. (Although, of course, velocity is just acceleration over time.)

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Shigeru Kawai SK-EX
by CyberGene. 11/14/19 04:07 PM
I bought myself a Yamaha P71!
by Tyrone Slothrop. 11/14/19 03:49 PM
8 foot pianos
by funnypiano. 11/14/19 01:57 PM
What is this song?
by scriabinfanatic. 11/14/19 01:51 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,092
Posts2,890,809
Members94,968
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission