2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Carey, Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 42 of 81 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 80 81
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
So the online theory classes, can they be used to get your certificate if you're doing the practical exams? I'm still trying to figure out the whole program and requirements.

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ebonykawai
So the online theory classes, can they be used to get your certificate if you're doing the practical exams? I'm still trying to figure out the whole program and requirements.

Take a look at this post by Deb from some months ago and the succeeding two posts after hers.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
For the sight reading portion of the RCM exam, do they allow you to write (e.g. fingering) on the score? How many seconds do you get to look at the score before you have to play? What if you play at a super slow tempo? (Would that be penalized more than note errors?) Can you count aloud as you play or only in your head?

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Tyrone
When I took RCM exams 5 & then 6, I was given a moment to review the piece for sight reading but I didn't even consider the idea of writing in fingering. A great help if you are allowed to do it. Nothing in the "rules" mentions it. Super slow is not a problem from what I understand if rhythm, expression, and notes are good. Counting outloud seem to me to take away from the appearance that you're playing it not studying it. I don't know but good questions. Do you have an RCM teacher that you're working with?

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I don't think you could write it in. I suspect the sheet is possibly reused. I don't think you have enough time to write it in anyway. You only get about 30 seconds to look at it.

At the lower levels, going slow shouldn't be an issue. I don't remember if there were any tempo markings at all. However, at the higher levels, you'll see them and the expectation is that you play at that tempo. Pay attention to whatever dynamic and tempo markings there are on the sheet. Whatever you get will be about the same, maybe a little easier, than what you see at the end for the 4 star training book for your given level.

You can count and play if you like, at least that is what teacher had told me.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
So today was my big day, grade 6 AMEB practical exam. It’s been two years since my last exam, and although life got in the way of doing this exam sooner, this grade was also such a big technical jump, which I found quite difficult, I really benefited from the extra time.

The exam took place at 3:10 pm, so it was a long day waiting for the fateful hour. Arriving on time the conservatorium was buzzing with kids of all ages, something that makes you really stand out as an adult. Luckily, my examiner was on time and I just had to wait five or so minutes for the previous student to finish.

The examiner was super nice and put me at ease, even although I wasn't nervous. The piano was a Kawai grand, the best one I have ever played, with a deep bass that echoed beautifully in the room. It was straight to business, there were a lot of scales and arpeggios to get through which on the whole I played without much incident, then into the pieces.

Bach - Sinfonia No 8
Vorisek – Rondo No 1 of 2 from rondeaux mignons Op 18
Gade – Andantino
Ibert – La cage de cristal No 8 from Histoires
Additional Piece: Bach - Sinfonia No 2 (two needed as per requirements of this grade but only asked to play one)

I would love to say I played my pieces well but there were a few hiccups, some finger slips, and even a couple of restarts. However, while I will lose some points for those errors, what I did play was played well to my ears. The biggest stuff up was the additional piece where I had such a brain freeze, I never finished the piece. The examiner noted that she could tell it was obvious I knew the piece, but time was against us going much further. The ear tests and general knowledge went well and I would say full points for those. The sight-reading piece was easier than I expected, but I don’t expect to get good marks here because I am a terrible sight reader.

I am pretty sure I passed, but I would like to have passed well and I don't think I did that today. I can't say I am really disappointed though, this journey with my teacher has been fantastic and that is all that really matters.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Congratulations EofM for your accomplishment(s). Level 6 AMEB is high level and I know you've advanced quickly with all of your work and dedication. It sounds like you enjoyed your process too. WHEW! It's done. Have a glass of wine or celebratory beverage and play for the holidays. I'm not familiar with your choices except for the Bach so enjoyed finding them on youtube for a listen. Especially appreciated the beauty of the Gade andantino.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Congratulations! What a great accomplishment!

Kawai K500
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Congrats EoM!!!! 🍻

[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
A great accomplishment!

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congrats Earlofmar!

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
Especially appreciated the beauty of the Gade andantino.

I am sure you have done this, started learning a piece because you thought it sounded good, then hated it, then fell in love with it again once you good play it. That is how I feel about Andantino. These exams do introduce you to music you might not otherwise hear and that is a good thing.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
WeakLeftHand: I started with level 5 which I think is considered beginning intermediate. I did the first unit, you can take the practice test as many times as you want, it was times for 10 minutes. The unit test was timed at 10 minutes. Test are timed. Maybe the other units may give a longer time, but unit one was 10 minutes tests. The first unit was easy for me, it was transposition between the treble and bass clef and reading ledge lines up to 4. I started with 5 because my weakness is counting. Unit 2 is rhythm, that will be more of a challenge.

I took the practice test 3 times and found when I made a mistake it was not that I did not know it, but was not careful. My scores were 100, 90, 90. I did get a 100 on the unit test. If you do well on the practice test, the unit test is reflective of the practice test. There are 8 sections, the unit test are worth 60% and the exam is 40%. You know right away what you did on the unit test. I read for the final exam could take 4 weeks for the results. I am guessing if you pass a certificate for level 5 is sent.

The cost was $179 for the course that works with the apps. You get one year to complete it. However, you will need to download 8 apps at $1.99 each. It is recommended, and I would if you want to pass. These apps are available for the IPAD. I had bought an IPAD about 6 months ago to get those apps with the thinking I would like to take the theory course. I bought the 11" with the 256 GB. This is plenty big to do the courses and what ever else you want. It easily fits in my purse. The next size was 12.9.

For $179 it is a personal challenge. Before the course was in 300s maybe $379 and at that price it was not worth it. I also bought Celebrate Theory Level 5 book to have more practice exercises. I just do it leisurely for fun, thinking I would like to complete one unit a month. I feel it gives me direction and a progression.

I never plan on taking the piano recital tests. In my 6th year of lessons, and getting better about playing in front of people. I have a great teacher, he plays at the nursing home once month and I get an opportunity to play a solo or duet. This month he is bringing the choir he directs. I will accompany him while he plays the Euphonium. Its one song, easy, and less than 2 minutes. The choir is not going to sing while I play, I am not there yet.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Earlofmar, I can't imagine doing that, I have difficulty playing at the nursing home and a lot of memory issues. What an accomplishment just do to do it and prepare for it. I truly admire you for doing that. I hope all goes well, however if it does not, nothing wrong with doing it again. The point is a lot of people would not do it or can't do it. My husband tells me just go and have fun when I play, this is enjoyment. I try to remember that.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I received my grade 6 results today. I had been starting to convince myself I had done much worse, so I was pleased to find I had a B Credit. The handwriting is very hard to read, but I thought I might post here to show how AMEB does it.

[Linked Image]

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar
I received my grade 6 results today. I had been starting to convince myself I had done much worse, so I was pleased to find I had a B Credit. The handwriting is very hard to read, but I thought I might post here to show how AMEB does it.

Congrats!!!! Great job! 🍻

[Linked Image]

W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
EarlofM, that is fantastic. The comments show a great appreciation for your musicality. So happy for you.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Congratulations, Earl!

Austin Rogers, PhD, ARSM
Music Teacher in Cedar Park, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko"
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Congratulations earlofmar!!!

Thanks for posting the examiner's comments. I've never seen one before. It is interesting they don't use points. RCM uses points. I don't know about ABRSM. Just an observation, nothing more.

On the top left, it says Piano Comprehensive OLD G6. Did they change the grading system? As in, there's a NEW G6 now? Just curious.

Kawai K500
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Congrats EarlofMar, that's a great achievement!

[Linked Image]
Page 42 of 81 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 80 81

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission