2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
26 registered members (grd-dan, earlofmar, BachToTheFuture, barbaram, Catlady, Animisha, 6 invisible), 267 guests, and 480 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Do you agree with this piano TED Talk?? [Re: wszxbcl] #2910074 11/09/19 03:32 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,496
T
TonyB Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,496
Originally Posted by wszxbcl
On my piano I have a Chopin doll. When I push his rather big nose he says "Laissez tomber les Mains." That's what he taught his students. I need constant reminding.

I would expect folks here in the US to have a police doll that says "Lâchez votre arme". smile

Tony

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Do you agree with this piano TED Talk?? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2910076 11/09/19 03:41 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,630
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,630
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Very timely, but as we are arguing the correctness of arm weight,chopin_r_us just posted their paper on arm weight in early music[/url
!

You where you were quoting my conversation, I was not arguing about anything, and "we" (s/he and I) weren't. wink. I was exploring one particular element because it came up as a question. I am familiar with cru. I proposed some thoughts on it. Any thoughts on the thoughts?

Re: Do you agree with this piano TED Talk?? [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2910080 11/09/19 03:48 PM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 9,402
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 9,402
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
He did mention that he got into the college level piano program from 2 years of YouTube, but isn't college level intended ARCT level people, or does that happen after college (like piano grad school)?

Based on what I have read, the equivalent of ABRSM Grade 8 / RCM Grade 10 is enough to be able to prepare a set of recital pieces for audition for many piano performance programs, except the elite programs (Juilliard, Curtis, Eastman, etc.) Some students get to a slightly higher level before applying. My sister was diploma/ARCT level (she did it in 7 years total) when she was accepted to Jacobs at IU for piano performance, but she decided to just do it as a minor. Everything comes down to your performance in the audition though.

I was talking to someone on Reddit's r/piano subreddit who is at a European conservatory who did a 2-year crash course in piano and was accepted. An ex-PW member who was at the conservatory in Hungary mentioned in her class was also a "famous" student who only had 2 years training before being accepted. And Brendan Hawksley was accepted to two piano performance programs in the UK after a year (but not self-teaching). So this does happen, but it is rare.


[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Do you agree with this piano TED Talk?? [Re: wszxbcl] #2910086 11/09/19 04:08 PM
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 765
D
David B Offline
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 765
Originally Posted by wszxbcl
On my piano I have a Chopin doll. When I push his rather big nose he says "Laissez tomber les Mains." That's what he taught his students. I need constant reminding.


Google translate has it as "give up hands." Is that correct, and if so, what does it mean? Thanks.

God Bless,
David


Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Lessons 1-44 Completed
Re: Do you agree with this piano TED Talk?? [Re: David B] #2910089 11/09/19 04:13 PM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 2,308
L
LarryK Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 2,308
Originally Posted by David B
Originally Posted by wszxbcl
On my piano I have a Chopin doll. When I push his rather big nose he says "Laissez tomber les Mains." That's what he taught his students. I need constant reminding.


Google translate has it as "give up hands." Is that correct, and if so, what does it mean? Thanks.

God Bless,
David


It means “drop your hands.” My wife is French and told me so.


Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Do you agree with this piano TED Talk?? [Re: EPW] #2910091 11/09/19 04:15 PM
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 765
D
David B Offline
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 765
Originally Posted by EPW
That explains why you want to get to that Gospel style playing smile


10 mores lessons and I'll be done with the 52 Week Crash Course and then I'll be ready for the Praise the Gospel course. thumbyippie

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 11/09/19 04:16 PM.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Lessons 1-44 Completed
Re: Do you agree with this piano TED Talk?? [Re: David B] #2910094 11/09/19 04:20 PM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 9,402
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 9,402
Originally Posted by David B
Originally Posted by EPW
That explains why you want to get to that Gospel style playing smile
10 mores lessons and I'll be done with the 52 Week Crash Course and then I'll be ready for the Praise the Gospel course. thumbyippie

You should start a separate thread for that too when you start the praise course!

Are you planning on doing any of Duane Shinn's other courses in parallel with the praise course? For example, the one where he wants you to work with each key for month before moving on to the next key?


[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Do you agree with this piano TED Talk?? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2910100 11/09/19 04:36 PM
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 765
D
David B Offline
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 765
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

You should start a separate thread for that too when you start the praise course!


Perhaps I will. However, I'm a bit reluctant because I don't think my piano journey is particularly interesting.

The Crash Course thread was already going strong before I acquired the materials. Currently I'm not aware of anyone else who is engaged in the Praise and Gospel series. So if I start a thread it will only be about me. That makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Quote
Are you planning on doing any of Duane Shinn's other courses in parallel with the praise course? For example, the one where he wants you to work with each key for month before moving on to the next key?


I do have his Pro Secrets course and would like to run that concurrently with the Praise and Gospel series. It's basically one technique drilled one hour a day for 30 days. It's three years worth of techniques following that format. The only problem is that he starts with straddles and they are so hard. I wish he would have started with an easier technique.

God Bless,
David


Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Lessons 1-44 Completed
Re: Do you agree with this piano TED Talk?? [Re: EPW] #2910115 11/09/19 05:16 PM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,562
Jytte Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,562
Originally Posted by EPW
That explains why you want to get to that Gospel style playing smile

I'm not what anyone would call religious, but I love Gospel too smile


[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
Re: Do you agree with this piano TED Talk?? [Re: David B] #2910122 11/09/19 05:24 PM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 9,402
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 9,402
Originally Posted by David B
Perhaps I will. However, I'm a bit reluctant because I don't think my piano journey is particularly interesting.

The Crash Course thread was already going strong before I acquired the materials. Currently I'm not aware of anyone else who is engaged in the Praise and Gospel series. So if I start a thread it will only be about me. That makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Diaries are sometimes interesting to read (published diaries) not because they contain extraordinary events, but because of how ordinary they are sometimes.

I think a number of us here on PW visit the 52-week thread not out of any interest for the method but to catch your latest video. So please don't be put off about posting a thread just because no one else is working on the series. As you realize, since D.S. intended his Praise series to come after the 52 week course, the bar on that course is incredibly high, so even in the best case, there would never be that many people taking any course that comes after 52-weeks. smile

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 11/09/19 05:25 PM.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Do you agree with this piano TED Talk?? [Re: Moo :)] #2910144 11/09/19 06:02 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,630
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,630
Originally Posted by Moo :)
That video is what i was taught with landing. it just up and down movement with the bodyweight. the miyagi video was however different. it was moving elbows outward. ....

Ah, I see what you're saying. You've learned to pay attention to details, with the good teacher you have. I'd say that these videos give an approximation of an idea for someone who hasn't learned anything anywhere. It may be better than nothing. Or not.

Re: Do you agree with this piano TED Talk?? [Re: Zach Evans] #2910183 11/09/19 08:03 PM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 702
E
EPW Offline
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
E
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 702
Quote
Perhaps I will. However, I'm a bit reluctant because I don't think my piano journey is particularly interesting.


I think you would be surprise David how many would tune in to see your progress cool


All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Re: Do you agree with this piano TED Talk?? [Re: cmb13] #2910204 11/09/19 09:38 PM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 82
Zach Evans Offline OP
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by cmb13
Originally Posted by Zach Evans
Wanted to get y'alls opinion on this piano teaching TED Talk!

Zach, the opinions of most of the people responding were that the video was salesy and not geared towards someone who seriously wants to learn how to play piano. It also quite a while to get to the point; you lost me after the first 3 minutes.

I suspect with your catchy hook, some people may be intrigued enough to give it a shot, but I suspect few of those will continue for any significant amount of time, let alone enough time to advance to a decent level.

Originally Posted by Zach Evans

'Well you must be one of the VERY small minority. If you look at the comments in the YouTube video almost EVERY single one is positive, and about how people love the energy.

I think there's just something about piano players on these forums that gets them in this snarky and negative mindset instead of having an open mind about things

Yet somehow, I'm not sure that you were truly interested in our options, as you have responded defensively to most that did not review the video favorably.

I also think that not coming right out and owning up to the fact that it was your video straight off was a turn off for a lot of us.


Hey, yea, you're probably right, I may have come across as defensive, I apologize for that. I spent 4 months crafting and perfecting the talk, so maybe I'm a little uppity about it.

I guess I just get frustrated when people knock the content of a video because of things like "do you HEAR the way he talks?"

It's ironic, because I feel like what I'm saying is just excitement, because, well, I get really excited about teaching this stuff! I still remember when I was teaching myself, and I'd get so frustrated, and then suddenly I'd figure out a new way to practice and it's like BOOM it clicks!! I still remember the feeling, and I want to be able to give it to others.

And the irony is that I've gotten a ton of comments from people (especially on YouTube) saying the main reason they like my videos to learn is BECAUSE of my energy, it's contagious and it motivates them. In fact if you look at the YouTube comments right now that's what almost all of them are saying.

And I get it, my style isn't for everyone. And if you want to critique the content, that's great, those are the discussions I want to have. Not about the volume I speak at, I mean come on!

And I guess what really sent me over the edge is when people are acting like the only reason I did the talk was to try to sell something. My site is called Piano University. My course is called the Piano Superhuman course. I didn't mention either one of those in the talk, and I INTENTIONALLY didn't mention them because I didn't want people to think I was just trying to sell them.

I have 44 free, completely FREE videos on my YouTube channel. And on top of that, I have a completely FREE course on my website with 21 lessons in it. That's 65 lessons I have completely free. And I spent a TON of time and energy creating them, and a ton of money buying all the recording gear, software, audio equipment, etc to record them.

And after ALL of that, yes I do offer a paid course. Am I going to try to make a living doing what I'm passionate about? Absolutely! Yet I feel like, in this forum specifically, I'm constantly being knocked for "trying to make a buck". If people don't buy anything, that's fine! Most people don't, and if they watch all 65 lessons and never purchase a course, that's great! I still got to help someone along their piano journey. And if they email me with a question, I answer it and try to help people out whether or not they purchase a course.

I guess it just gets to me sometimes when you put in so much work and effort and energy into something, give it all you have, and someone just writes back "this guy's a snake oil salesman". It's just tough sometimes.

But maybe I'm just talking to the wrong crowd here, maybe you're right.

Re: Do you agree with this piano TED Talk?? [Re: Zach Evans] #2910209 11/09/19 10:10 PM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 3,662
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 3,662
Originally Posted by Zach Evans


Hey, yea, you're probably right, I may have come across as defensive, I apologize for that. I spent 4 months crafting and perfecting the talk, so maybe I'm a little uppity about it.

I guess I just get frustrated when people knock the content of a video because of things like "do you HEAR the way he talks?"

It's ironic, because I feel like what I'm saying is just excitement, because, well, I get really excited about teaching this stuff! I still remember when I was teaching myself, and I'd get so frustrated, and then suddenly I'd figure out a new way to practice and it's like BOOM it clicks!! I still remember the feeling, and I want to be able to give it to others.

And the irony is that I've gotten a ton of comments from people (especially on YouTube) saying the main reason they like my videos to learn is BECAUSE of my energy, it's contagious and it motivates them. In fact if you look at the YouTube comments right now that's what almost all of them are saying.

And I get it, my style isn't for everyone. And if you want to critique the content, that's great, those are the discussions I want to have. Not about the volume I speak at, I mean come on!

And I guess what really sent me over the edge is when people are acting like the only reason I did the talk was to try to sell something. My site is called Piano University. My course is called the Piano Superhuman course. I didn't mention either one of those in the talk, and I INTENTIONALLY didn't mention them because I didn't want people to think I was just trying to sell them.

I have 44 free, completely FREE videos on my YouTube channel. And on top of that, I have a completely FREE course on my website with 21 lessons in it. That's 65 lessons I have completely free. And I spent a TON of time and energy creating them, and a ton of money buying all the recording gear, software, audio equipment, etc to record them.

And after ALL of that, yes I do offer a paid course. Am I going to try to make a living doing what I'm passionate about? Absolutely! Yet I feel like, in this forum specifically, I'm constantly being knocked for "trying to make a buck". If people don't buy anything, that's fine! Most people don't, and if they watch all 65 lessons and never purchase a course, that's great! I still got to help someone along their piano journey. And if they email me with a question, I answer it and try to help people out whether or not they purchase a course.

I guess it just gets to me sometimes when you put in so much work and effort and energy into something, give it all you have, and someone just writes back "this guy's a snake oil salesman". It's just tough sometimes.

But maybe I'm just talking to the wrong crowd here, maybe you're right.

Now that was honest! And I appreciate it...truly! That's the kind of upfront and honest discussion we appreciate! And the truth is, it's awesome that you have a passion for piano (as of course we all do here) and are making a go at making a living off it. It's tough to do, I'm sure.

And the truth is, your approach in that video, with the 9th chord, is a nice hook, and achievable with a little practice. I started out wanting to play rock and pop, the only genre's with which I was familiar, but drifted towards classical as it became obvious that this was the path in which I could truly learn and advance, from an academic standpoint. That was my main goal (#dementiaprevention). From there I began to love classical piano, and now I'm hooked. But before I got here, I would have loved to learn with your method, as it allows one to play music quickly, and I'm sure you can build a nice skill set after watching some videos.

So, in the future, why not just come out and say, hey, I made this video geared towards beginners, it's got some innovative ideas to get people playing some cool stuff right away. I know it's not for the set that's learning sheet reading form the traditional standpoint, but let me know what you think? I'll bet the discussion would have gone differently.

Keep it up. I'm glad you're passionate and sharing!


Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Do you agree with this piano TED Talk?? [Re: Zach Evans] #2910217 11/09/19 10:25 PM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 9,402
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 9,402
Originally Posted by Zach Evans
Originally Posted by cmb13
Originally Posted by Zach Evans
Wanted to get y'alls opinion on this piano teaching TED Talk!

Zach, the opinions of most of the people responding were that the video was salesy and not geared towards someone who seriously wants to learn how to play piano. It also quite a while to get to the point; you lost me after the first 3 minutes.

I suspect with your catchy hook, some people may be intrigued enough to give it a shot, but I suspect few of those will continue for any significant amount of time, let alone enough time to advance to a decent level.

Originally Posted by Zach Evans

'Well you must be one of the VERY small minority. If you look at the comments in the YouTube video almost EVERY single one is positive, and about how people love the energy.

I think there's just something about piano players on these forums that gets them in this snarky and negative mindset instead of having an open mind about things

Yet somehow, I'm not sure that you were truly interested in our options, as you have responded defensively to most that did not review the video favorably.

I also think that not coming right out and owning up to the fact that it was your video straight off was a turn off for a lot of us.


Hey, yea, you're probably right, I may have come across as defensive, I apologize for that. I spent 4 months crafting and perfecting the talk, so maybe I'm a little uppity about it.

I guess I just get frustrated when people knock the content of a video because of things like "do you HEAR the way he talks?"

It's ironic, because I feel like what I'm saying is just excitement, because, well, I get really excited about teaching this stuff! I still remember when I was teaching myself, and I'd get so frustrated, and then suddenly I'd figure out a new way to practice and it's like BOOM it clicks!! I still remember the feeling, and I want to be able to give it to others.

And the irony is that I've gotten a ton of comments from people (especially on YouTube) saying the main reason they like my videos to learn is BECAUSE of my energy, it's contagious and it motivates them. In fact if you look at the YouTube comments right now that's what almost all of them are saying.

And I get it, my style isn't for everyone. And if you want to critique the content, that's great, those are the discussions I want to have. Not about the volume I speak at, I mean come on!

And I guess what really sent me over the edge is when people are acting like the only reason I did the talk was to try to sell something. My site is called Piano University. My course is called the Piano Superhuman course. I didn't mention either one of those in the talk, and I INTENTIONALLY didn't mention them because I didn't want people to think I was just trying to sell them.

I have 44 free, completely FREE videos on my YouTube channel. And on top of that, I have a completely FREE course on my website with 21 lessons in it. That's 65 lessons I have completely free. And I spent a TON of time and energy creating them, and a ton of money buying all the recording gear, software, audio equipment, etc to record them.

And after ALL of that, yes I do offer a paid course. Am I going to try to make a living doing what I'm passionate about? Absolutely! Yet I feel like, in this forum specifically, I'm constantly being knocked for "trying to make a buck". If people don't buy anything, that's fine! Most people don't, and if they watch all 65 lessons and never purchase a course, that's great! I still got to help someone along their piano journey. And if they email me with a question, I answer it and try to help people out whether or not they purchase a course.

I guess it just gets to me sometimes when you put in so much work and effort and energy into something, give it all you have, and someone just writes back "this guy's a snake oil salesman". It's just tough sometimes.

But maybe I'm just talking to the wrong crowd here, maybe you're right.

Now I think that is the right tone thumb


[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Do you agree with this piano TED Talk?? [Re: Zach Evans] #2910311 11/10/19 08:49 AM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 78
Peter Hontaru Offline
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 78
Quote
Hey, yea, you're probably right, I may have come across as defensive, I apologize for that. I spent 4 months crafting and perfecting the talk, so maybe I'm a little uppity about it.

I guess I just get frustrated when people knock the content of a video because of things like "do you HEAR the way he talks?"

It's ironic, because I feel like what I'm saying is just excitement, because, well, I get really excited about teaching this stuff! I still remember when I was teaching myself, and I'd get so frustrated, and then suddenly I'd figure out a new way to practice and it's like BOOM it clicks!! I still remember the feeling, and I want to be able to give it to others.

And the irony is that I've gotten a ton of comments from people (especially on YouTube) saying the main reason they like my videos to learn is BECAUSE of my energy, it's contagious and it motivates them. In fact if you look at the YouTube comments right now that's what almost all of them are saying.

And I get it, my style isn't for everyone. And if you want to critique the content, that's great, those are the discussions I want to have. Not about the volume I speak at, I mean come on!

And I guess what really sent me over the edge is when people are acting like the only reason I did the talk was to try to sell something. My site is called Piano University. My course is called the Piano Superhuman course. I didn't mention either one of those in the talk, and I INTENTIONALLY didn't mention them because I didn't want people to think I was just trying to sell them.

I have 44 free, completely FREE videos on my YouTube channel. And on top of that, I have a completely FREE course on my website with 21 lessons in it. That's 65 lessons I have completely free. And I spent a TON of time and energy creating them, and a ton of money buying all the recording gear, software, audio equipment, etc to record them.

And after ALL of that, yes I do offer a paid course. Am I going to try to make a living doing what I'm passionate about? Absolutely! Yet I feel like, in this forum specifically, I'm constantly being knocked for "trying to make a buck". If people don't buy anything, that's fine! Most people don't, and if they watch all 65 lessons and never purchase a course, that's great! I still got to help someone along their piano journey. And if they email me with a question, I answer it and try to help people out whether or not they purchase a course.

I guess it just gets to me sometimes when you put in so much work and effort and energy into something, give it all you have, and someone just writes back "this guy's a snake oil salesman". It's just tough sometimes.

But maybe I'm just talking to the wrong crowd here, maybe you're right.


Not really sure why there's so much hate on Zach. I never heard of him until now and maybe some YouTube suggestions/ads that only now I can kind of remember (super human thing rings a bell). The message quoted above pretty much explains everything.

You have to realise that literally everyone here would probably classify in the top 1% of "pianists", where in this instance, I define "pianists" as someone who told themselves "I want to learn the piano one day". Amongst those people (which are probably in the millions), everyone here would be in the top 1%.

His message is targeted to that other 99% (the people loving his enthusiasm, the simplicity, basically loving everything that the "1%" doesn't). Those are the people that walk by a public piano and pull out their phone to record because some random person plays Valse d'amelie very badly, not the people who have teachers and spend a significant amount of time on a niche forum amongst thousands of hours practicing 2 liszt etudes.

Remember, not everyone intends to play the hungarian rhapsody no2 or prokofiev sonatas or the whole WTC book from memory one day. If you do, get a teacher, you won't get there through a Youtube ted talk.

I am in no way biased to Zach's approach. Although I am a beginner still (<2 years and just about to take grade 5 so nowhere near advanced repertoire), I would not use any of his courses as they're simply not targeted to me. HOWEVER, if my cousin/mum/grandma/that friend of work/etc would come to me ask for advice on how to play piano, I would surely not recommend Josh Wright's tutorial on Chopin's Ballade no 3 (Josh being the type of person I would watch) but rather send them across to Zach. Again, not saying Zach isn't a good pianist. Having skimmed through this page here I can see that he studied with a top teacher at a musical school so that says a lot.

That being said Zach, I think it would've made life a lot easier for everyone if you posted all of that stuff quoted above in the first post rather than just say "what do you all think" and hope people will realise who your target audience really is and your intentions. Keep the enthusiasm up wink


Jan '18 - Started playing
Nov '18 - Grade 3 (d)
Nov '19 - Grade 5 (p)

??? '20 - Grade 6

If you'd like to follow my progress, recitals, experiences, check out my YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/PeterHontaru
Re: Do you agree with this piano TED Talk?? [Re: Peter Hontaru] #2910313 11/10/19 08:53 AM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 9,402
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 9,402
Originally Posted by Peter Hontaru
Not really sure why there's so much hate on Zach. I never heard of him until now and maybe some YouTube suggestions/ads that only now I can kind of remember (super human thing rings a bell). The message quoted above pretty much explains everything.

You have to realise that literally everyone here would probably classify in the top 1% of "pianists", where in this instance, I define "pianists" as someone who told themselves "I want to learn the piano one day". Amongst those people (which are probably in the millions), everyone here would be in the top 1%.

His message is targeted to that other 99% (the people loving his enthusiasm, the simplicity, basically loving everything that the "1%" doesn't). Those are the people that walk by a public piano and pull out their phone to record because some random person plays Valse d'amelie very badly, not the people who have teachers and spend a significant amount of time on a niche forum amongst thousands of hours practicing 2 liszt etudes.

Remember, not everyone intends to play the hungarian rhapsody no2 or prokofiev sonatas or the whole WTC book from memory one day. If you do, get a teacher, you won't get there through a Youtube ted talk.

I am in no way biased to Zach's approach. Although I am a beginner still (<2 years and just about to take grade 5 so nowhere near advanced repertoire), I would not use any of his courses as they're simply not targeted to me. HOWEVER, if my cousin/mum/grandma/that friend of work/etc would come to me ask for advice on how to play piano, I would surely not recommend Josh Wright's tutorial on Chopin's Ballade no 3 (Josh being the type of person I would watch) but rather send them across to Zach. Again, not saying Zach isn't a good pianist. Having skimmed through this page here I can see that he studied with a top teacher at a musical school so that says a lot.

+1 to everything you said.

Originally Posted by Peter Hontaru
That being said Zach, I think it would've made life a lot easier for everyone if you posted all of that stuff quoted above in the first post rather than just say "what do you all think" and hope people will realise who your target audience really is and your intentions. Keep the enthusiasm up wink

And a special +1!


[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Do you agree with this piano TED Talk?? [Re: Peter Hontaru] #2910336 11/10/19 09:45 AM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,581
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,581
Originally Posted by Peter Hontaru
......
You have to realise that literally everyone here would probably classify in the top 1% of "pianists", where in this instance, I define "pianists" as someone who told themselves "I want to learn the piano one day". Amongst those people (which are probably in the millions), everyone here would be in the top 1%.

His message is targeted to that other 99% (the people loving his enthusiasm, the simplicity, basically loving everything that the "1%" doesn't). Those are the people that walk by a public piano and pull out their phone to record because some random person plays Valse d'amelie very badly, not the people who have teachers and spend a significant amount of time on a niche forum amongst thousands of hours practicing 2 liszt etudes........
If that is the case (that PW is a niche forum for the 1%), then (by your argument) the OP erred in judgement by posting here in the first place.

I don't think this forum is the one percenters by any stretch. It's a pretty big tent, in fact. You can like the linked talk or not, that's up to each person. The lack of full disclosure in the first post put off a fair number of people. Opinion on the content has varied.

Last edited by Stubbie; 11/10/19 09:47 AM.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Re: Do you agree with this piano TED Talk?? [Re: Zach Evans] #2910373 11/10/19 11:48 AM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 82
Zach Evans Offline OP
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 82
Ok yea, I'm realizing a few things. I think the biggest thing is there's just a miscommunication in the fact that, for one, the talk is meant mostly for beginners.

Two, it's not supposed to be a complete talk on "how to get good at piano" but rather a talk meant at taking one singular idea (using a quick win somewhere at the beginning of the learning process). This is very typical of the TEDx Talk format, where you have 18 minutes, and if you've seen other talks, the goal is to convey one single point, and expand on that point with stories, humor, and metaphor. I came in assuming people would know that, but there's no reason someone would automatically expect that straight away.

I apologize for any nastiness I caused, I did feel a bit triggered. At the end of the day we're all on the same team. We're all out here trying to learn, and help people learn to play this beautiful instrument and I think when you get a bunch of passionate people in the same place things can get opinionated, but hey at the end of the day we're all trying to do the same thing.

Re: Do you agree with this piano TED Talk?? [Re: Zach Evans] #2910387 11/10/19 01:12 PM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 3,662
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 3,662
🍻


Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  BB Player 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha YDP s52 or Casio CDP 220R
by Love4Music - 02/18/20 09:11 PM
Kawaii K-200 vs Geyer GU-123
by ckm99 - 02/18/20 07:33 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,054
Posts2,927,317
Members96,039
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers


Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3