2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, crab89, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
It might be useful to have a discussion about how people approach tasks. He is already approaching his piano lessons more as a hobby than as a serious area of study. He approaches the piano as many adult students do, and yet he is only 16. I have some kids younger than he who already approach the piano as adult students do.

It's best to stop the lessons right now. If he isn't going to practice five days per week, (actually practice, not just plunk about) he isn't really getting the maximum benefit out of the lessons. He's drifting about rather than putting in the effort in that is required.

It's time to accept he's another dabbler. His teacher probably thinks of him as a rent-payer. She probably expects him to drop soon and is biding her time.

As a piano teacher, I know this kind of student is fun to teach on the one hand, but frustrating on the other hand; they never get anywhere.

Last edited by Candywoman; 11/07/19 07:32 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
One of the most common advice I give to these high school kids is to get as far as they can in piano. NOW.

That's brilliant! Set an intense and ambitious goal for the time available.

Learner
T
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
Hi, Candywoman, thank you for your classical perspective.

You would be frustrated I guess when the students don't go the direction you want them to go, and your direction is clearly classical.
He didn't demonstrate a love of classical music and playing certain classical compositions was "against his will", according to him. The teacher kept helping him to find the music he liked (or didn't hate)
Then he started to find music on his own, fooled around, not spending all his piano playing time on his "assignments".

I spoke to the teacher and she asked me not to interfere. So I just watched afar.

I think the teacher's strategy of going through more music rather than emphasizing fine details, combine his motivation to learn his own music, helped his music reading tremendously, also cultivated his passion for music in general. Often times, I heard music playing when I got home from work, and someone is playing music in the house all the way to bedtime. Either someone is playing the piano, or someone is singing, or he is playing his saxophone, or his younger brother is fooling around with his trumpet. Were we doing sophisticated classical music, most time not. Did we have fun, yes. Too much fun I have to chase them to bed.

Are we helping the teacher to pay rent? Of course, as we should. Did the boys get the maximum benefit from the lessons? Well, no one in our house is going to be concert classical pianists anyways, why not just enjoy the moment.

After reading your post, I count my blessing that we had a wonderful music teacher that understands our no so sophisticated music tastes.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
It's not because of the type of music he's selecting, but rather because he only plays the teacher's material for a day or two before the lesson.

Pop, jazz, church hymns, even his own compositions are all good provided he is dedicated to polishing them. There's nothing wrong with playing what you like at home. The issue is more whether you as a parent should be investing in piano lessons when he barely plays what the teacher asks.

He himself feels it would be a waste of money next year, so that's how I arrived at my conclusion.

I like far more than just classical music. All music requires daily attention and study in a focused manner.

Last edited by Candywoman; 11/08/19 04:15 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by The Monkeys

Often times, I heard music playing when I got home from work, and someone is playing music in the house all the way to bedtime. Either someone is playing the piano, or someone is singing, or he is playing his saxophone, or his younger brother is fooling around with his trumpet. Were we doing sophisticated classical music, most time not. Did we have fun, yes. Too much fun I have to chase them to bed.

I love this description of your happy musical household. If music lessons played a part in getting this, I agree that it was money well spent!

Learner
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
Often times, I heard music playing when I got home from work, and someone is playing music in the house all the way to bedtime. Either someone is playing the piano, or someone is singing, or he is playing his saxophone, or his younger brother is fooling around with his trumpet. Were we doing sophisticated classical music, most time not. Did we have fun, yes. Too much fun I have to chase them to bed.
I love this description of your happy musical household. If music lessons played a part in getting this, I agree that it was money well spent!

+1!

And with one's kids, it's always money well-spent (even when it's not! 😂)

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

+1!

+2
I don't regret a penny spent on my son's piano lessons over the years. thumb

[Linked Image]
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
+1!

+2
I don't regret a penny spent on my son's piano lessons over the years. thumb

Ironic, ain't it - as parents, what we regret most is the money we spend on ourselves!

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Ironic, ain't it - as parents, what we regret most is the money we spend on ourselves!

Not so much for me.
My regrets are more general.
I would that it had been otherwise, but mostly I think I did the best I could with what I had at the time.
Maybe it helps that I had hardly anything to spend on myself.

Learner
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Not so much for me.
I would that it had been otherwise, but mostly I think I did the best I could with what I had at the time.

Well, if after the kids, there was little left, then there was nothing to regret, was there wink

[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Me and Edith Piaf everyone else who fits.

Learner
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Not so much for me.

Well, if after the kids, there was little left, then there was nothing to regret, was there wink

Very logical whistle

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I would check that your son has learned how to follow lead sheets from "fake books."

If he knows the chords, he can play well enough to entertain himself and others.

Classical piano teaching utilizes classical music because it follows the rules. I tell my students, "once you know the rules, then you can break them."

Like a writer, you have to learn basic grammar rules and story plot lines. Then, you can write in your own style.

So, be sure he has the basics down, especially on chord reading. Then, ask his teacher to provide "fun" music. No need to polish off everything. Let him shine at his last recital, and enjoy that he can do something many of his peers never even attempted.

Playing for one's own enjoyment is a good form of therapy. It de-stresses. It also invigorates. He's done well!

Learning as I teach.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission