2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
24 members (Emery Wang, CraiginNZ, Caleb1416, clothearednincompo, Calavera, CyberGene, chopinetto, AprilE, EPW, 4 invisible), 379 guests, and 437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
Re: Pen Pal Thread
cmb13 #2909646 11/08/19 03:51 PM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Yes, I do too, but didn't love the shaved head, missing teeth look as much. She made an intense cat woman though, and really, who can turn off The Devil Wears Prada?

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
cmb13 #2909657 11/08/19 04:09 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Much as I like Fleetwood Mac and Les Miserables, I preferred to give myself some goosebumps with Faust:

My life would be so much poorer without Gounod, Bizet, Lehar & Co. smile

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
cmb13 #2909696 11/08/19 04:53 PM
A
A
Originally Posted by cmb13
Right now I'm listening to some old Fleetwood Mac....pre Stevie / Lindsay....including A Fool No More and Oh Well, from Then Play On. Anyone ever listen to these classics?

Other than The Chain and a handful of other songs-I
much prefer their blues era tracks. In fact the only album I really listen to is "The Original Fleetwood Mac."

Some of the best British blues ever played imo.

cmb13 #2909707 11/08/19 05:11 PM
A
A
Originally Posted by Antihero
I took the day off. Started off with a little piano practice prior to an 8:30 lesson. Working on the first 12 measures of Chopin's Funeral March. Struggling a little with articulation of the grace notes--otherwise satisfied with the slow progress.

Teacher was generally pleased as well--with some admonitions to open the piece a little softer and loosen the wrist a bit in the right hand. When properly executed--it smoothes it out very well. The grace notes are easier to hit in time and with proper accent.

Loose right wrist is the theme of the day. The ascending arpeggios in Fur Elise were another focus area. again the fluidity and evenness improved as long as conscious effort is maintained. Hopefully this becomes second nature at some point.

Overall my teacher is pleased with my progress. She feels the softer wristed approach will result in a jump in ability once ingrained.

Now I'm getting ready to play some casual golf!

I took some time off this week also; I felt a little burned out. I'm working on some Bach Inventions, and finishing the Chopin Nocturne in E min. Loose wrists rule....they really help with speed. Unfortunately, I have to get the accuracy first, then I can loosen up for speed.

I was hoping to have the Nocturne ready for the upcoming recital, but it may have to wait until the next one. I'm not sure it's recording ready. It seems that there is a big gap between done and done-done. lol

Beutiful piece. Remarkable how much of Chopin's oeuvre is----poetic. I (briefly) toyed with the idea of submitting something ---but not ready to suffer the slings and arrows quite yet wink.

Loose wrist is a work in progress. Subconsciously the more anticipated difficulty--the greater the tension. Not so different from a golf swing.

Tyrone Slothrop #2909709 11/08/19 05:14 PM
E
E
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

After you see the real theater production, you might want to catch the 2012 movie version where they have real Hollywood actors that can sing a tiny bit (meaning they might have sung in the shower or sung karaoke before laugh ) actually singing lead roles. No voice-overs, and my understanding is they didn't do any autotuning! Of course it is very rough singing but this lends this film version verismo, which was probably what the director wanted. Anyways, I have a complete weakness for Anne Hathaway, so there's that!

Yeah! I saw the movie was on Netflix. I'll definitely catch it afterward. I saw Phantom last year and watched the movie after, and I was really happy that I saw it in the theater first. I knew the basic story, but the theater is magical, and I love all the elements of surprise! And even though I have a complete weakness for Gerard Butler, his singing voice was less than impressive.

Antihero #2909710 11/08/19 05:14 PM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Right now I'm listening to some old Fleetwood Mac....pre Stevie / Lindsay....including A Fool No More and Oh Well, from Then Play On. Anyone ever listen to these classics?

much prefer their blues era tracks. In fact the only album I really listen to is "The Original Fleetwood Mac."

We recently had people over for a bday celebration, and ran a 1969 music trivia quiz. Sounds like you probably would have done well on the quiz. The winner got a copy of Abbey Road - on vinyl smile.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

Jytte #2909724 11/08/19 05:33 PM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jytte
Much as I like Fleetwood Mac and Les Miserables, I preferred to give myself some goosebumps with Faust:

I’ve yet to embrace opera. I can appreciate it, but it’s just not my style. It took me a while to learn to love the music we play here, yet now I do. I guess it’s one genre at a time!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

cmb13 #2909727 11/08/19 05:39 PM
A
A

We recently had people over for a bday celebration, and ran a 1969 music trivia quiz. Sounds like you probably would have done well on the quiz. The winner got a copy of Abbey Road - on vinyl smile.

Slightly jealous---Abbey Road is my favorite Beatles album and it's not even close!

I used to be not bad at music trivia.

Antihero #2909730 11/08/19 05:52 PM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Slightly jealous---Abbey Road is my favorite Beatles album and it's not even close!

Did you ever catch Classics Albums Live? They tour and play Abbey Road, and other albums, note for note. They’re fantastic!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

Jytte #2909743 11/08/19 06:13 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Do you like concert operas? I have a fundamental objection to operas that aren't staged. That is not how the composer intended for the performance. It might as well be an Oratorio instead of an opera.

Agreed in the case of Bizet. I'm an opera superfan and a patron member of the NY Met. thumb

I actually came to piano because of opera. In November 2017, I was shopping for opera Blu-ray's and came across a Casio keyboard on the landing page of Amazon.com. On an impulse, I bought a keyboard that afternoon (a Roland FP30 and not that first Casio). And that's how I got into piano. I can blame it all on shopping for opera discs.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
cmb13 #2909753 11/08/19 06:24 PM
A
A

Did you ever catch Classics Albums Live? They tour and play Abbey Road, and other albums, note for note. They’re fantastic!

I have not---But sounds intriguing

cmb13 #2909775 11/08/19 07:06 PM
A
A

I’ve yet to embrace opera. I can appreciate it, but it’s just not my style. It took me a while to learn to love the music we play here, yet now I do. I guess it’s one genre at a time!

I'm in the same boat regarding opera.

Never disliked classical---just never listened to enough to to fully appreciate it. Listened to a limited selection for years---until I stumbled across Idagio. Now I can't get enough.

The mainstream music apps don't do any justice to classical. Idagio really makes it readily accessible.

I've dabbled a bit in opera but have yet to fully embrace it.

cmb13 #2909794 11/08/19 07:53 PM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Music Trivia - 1969 - This is for AntiHero, although if anyone else would like to give it a shot, go ahead!

1. What 1996 movie featured Neil Diamond’s 1996 hit that reached 22 on Billboards Top Hits? A.
Beautiful Girls

a. Bonus – What Drew Barrymore movie was it also in? A.
Fever Pitch

2. Which Billboard #99 song of 1969 was featured in Quentin Tarantino’s Reservoir Dogs? A.
Hooked on a Feeling

3. What song, recorded in the Let It Be sessions, did the Beatles play in their last live performance? A.
Don’t Let Me Down

a. Bonus – Location –
Rooftop of Apple Music Studios

b. Bonus 2 – B side of what single?
Get Back

4. Which band, on top of cmb13's skip list, had 3 hits on Billboard’s Hot 100 in 1969? A.
CCR

a. Bonus – Name the songs –
Proud Mary, Bad Moon Rising, Green River

5. What Rolling Stones #4 hit was released as a single in 1969, but was not on the 1969 album Let It Bleed?
Honky Tonk Woman

a. Bonus – What country version of that song was on the album?
Country Honk

6. Complete the title to Johnny Cash’s hit “A Boy Named…..” A.
Sue

7. What song taken to #12 in September 1969, was later covered by Linda Ronstadt, where it reached 10 in 1980? A.
Hurts So Bad

8. Which of these musicians was not in Blind Faith? Ginger Baker, Spencer Davis, Steve Winwood, Ric Crech, Eric Clapton A.
Spencer Davis

9. Which Willie Dixon hit was successfully covered previously, but made most popular by Led Zeppelin in 1969? A.
You Shook Me

a. Bonus – Who covered it previously?
Muddy Waters, Jeff Beck

10. What masterpiece from The Who was tacked on to Tommy as a bit of a lark?
Pinball Wizard

a. Bonus – What 1700s Baroque artist did Pete Townsend use as an influence in chord structure.
Samual Barber Adagio for Strings

11. Which band released their third studio album, Then Play On, in 1969 before adding key players and changing from a British blues based rock band to classic rock band, then going to release one of the top 10 selling albums of all time just 8 year later. A
Fleetwood Mac

a. Bonus - What singer did Mic Fleetwood play with prior to forming Fleetwood Mac? Rod Stewart.
b. Bonus 2 - Which marching band paired up with Fleetwood Mac to play on the 1979 hit Tusk?
USC Trojans

12. Which poet, turned musician, was arrested for drunk driving and driving without a license in February, 1969. In March, he was again arrested, for indecent exposure and attempting to start a riot at his own concert in Miami.
Jim Morrison

13. Which performer, immortalized when he lit his guitar on fire, was named by Rolling Stone Magazine as "Performer of The Year in 1969"?
Jimi Hendrix

14. Which band released their self-titled 1969 album, went on to win the Grammy for Best New Artist in 1970? A.
CSN

15. Who won Record of The Year in 1969?
Simon and Garfunkle

a. Bonus – What was the song?
Mrs Robinson

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

cmb13 #2909797 11/08/19 08:16 PM
A
A
Music Trivia - 1969 - This is for AntiHero, although if anyone else would like to give it a shot, go ahead!

1. What 1996 movie featured Neil Diamond’s 1996 hit that reached 22 on Billboards Top Hits? A.
Beautiful Girls

a. Bonus – What Drew Barrymore movie was it also in? A.
Fever Pitch

2. Which Billboard #99 song of 1969 was featured in Quentin Tarantino’s Reservoir Dogs? A.
Hooked on a Feeling

3. What song, recorded in the Let It Be sessions, did the Beatles play in their last live performance? A.
Don’t Let Me Down

a. Bonus – Location –
Rooftop of Apple Music Studios

b. Bonus 2 – B side of what single?
Get Back

4. Which band, on top of cmb13's skip list, had 3 hits on Billboard’s Hot 100 in 1969? A.
CCR

a. Bonus – Name the songs –
Proud Mary, Bad Moon Rising, Green River

5. What Rolling Stones #4 hit was released as a single in 1969, but was not on the 1969 album Let It Bleed?
Honky Tonk Woman

a. Bonus – What country version of that song was on the album?
Country Honk

6. Complete the title to Johnny Cash’s hit “A Boy Named…..” A.
Sue

7. What song taken to #12 in September 1969, was later covered by Linda Ronstadt, where it reached 10 in 1980? A.
Hurts So Bad

8. Which of these musicians was not in Blind Faith? Ginger Baker, Spencer Davis, Steve Winwood, Ric Crech, Eric Clapton A.
Spencer Davis

9. Which Willie Dixon hit was successfully covered previously, but made most popular by Led Zeppelin in 1969? A.
You Shook Me

a. Bonus – Who covered it previously?
Muddy Waters, Jeff Beck

10. What masterpiece from The Who was tacked on to Tommy as a bit of a lark?
Pinball Wizard

a. Bonus – What 1700s Baroque artist did Pete Townsend use as an influence in chord structure.
Samual Barber Adagio for Strings

11. Which band released their third studio album, Then Play On, in 1969 before adding key players and changing from a British blues based rock band to classic rock band, then going to release one of the top 10 selling albums of all time just 8 year later. A
Fleetwood Mac

a. Bonus - What singer did Mic Fleetwood play with prior to forming Fleetwood Mac? Rod Stewart.
b. Bonus 2 - Which marching band paired up with Fleetwood Mac to play on the 1979 hit Tusk?
USC Trojans

12. Which poet, turned musician, was arrested for drunk driving and driving without a license in February, 1969. In March, he was again arrested, for indecent exposure and attempting to start a riot at his own concert in Miami.
Jim Morrison

13. Which performer, immortalized when he lit his guitar on fire, was named by Rolling Stone Magazine as "Performer of The Year in 1969"?
Jimi Hendrix

14. Which band released their self-titled 1969 album, went on to win the Grammy for Best New Artist in 1970? A.
CSN

15. Who won Record of The Year in 1969?
Simon and Garfunkle

a. Bonus – What was the song?
Mrs Robinson

Love the format!

But I must admit---The Abbey Road vinyl album wouldn't have left with me after all.

cmb13 #2909814 11/08/19 09:09 PM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Yes, it was pretty tough....too tough imo. My wife helped make the questions; I thought we should tame it. Nobody got more than 5-6 answers. Fun trivia, though.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

cmb13 #2909817 11/08/19 09:23 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Yes, it was pretty tough....too tough imo. My wife helped make the questions; I thought we should tame it. Nobody got more than 5-6 answers. Fun trivia, though.

I think contests like this should have prizes for the lowest scores too. Like if there was a prize for zero answers, I'd be competitive! 😎

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
cmb13 #2909821 11/08/19 09:51 PM
E
E
I got 2!!!

I knew "A Boy Named Sue" only because I had an obsession with the Goo Goo Dolls in high school and their best album was "A Boy Named Goo", obvious from the Johnny Cash song. I also knew the Fleetwood Mac one... only because we just talked about it on the last page.

So, really, I deserve 0.

enw10 #2909825 11/08/19 09:58 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by enw10
So, really, I deserve 0.

Wow, no way! There seems to be competition for my zero prize! 😡

[Linked Image]

cmb13 #2909868 11/09/19 01:45 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I had three. A decade later would have been easier for me. smile And I know Fleetwood Mac's Oh Well well enough, but I prefer their music on Rumours.

Since there's been talk of "pen pals" here and in the Pianist Corner, I thought I would give this thread a try. My thinking is that we all like to talk about what we are doing and playing, to get encouragement, share ideas, and share enthusiasm with others with similar interests. Why not do this here in the forum, where we all came to find these shared values, rather than privately.

I imagine this thread would be similar to the What did you play today thread but rather than just listing a few things, opening it up for discussion and conversation.

These last ten days I have been very much occupied by first my laptop and then my pc crashing. With the very good help of my very good friend, I got the laptop working again, and I bought a new pc.
Pianowise, the new feedback teacher at PCA keeps me happily busy with technique to work on. This week, she focuses on my key attack especially in the first note of a phrase. The sound that I make is a little too abrupt.
It's November. In Sweden it is a month that is lovely for its pure dreariness.

I hope more will tell a bit!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
cmb13 #2909875 11/09/19 02:49 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Like Tyrone I got a big fat 0 for your quiz Craig.

I am currently in Sydney (my hosts are old uni friends and are away for a wedding this weekend in Queensland). I have had an up and down experience with my father, but perhaps a little better than expected. He did let me listen to him play a simple Mozart piece that I recognised. He played with remarkable sensitivity.

Yesterday I had two hours with a Yamaha baby grand. I spent about half of it actually practising, and the other half just playing. I really enjoyed being back playing the piano. It took a little time to adjust to the baby grand, though I don’t think I ever quite adjusted fully. It was quite expressive except in the higher registers where it felt a little thin.

Like you Animisha, Rumours was the album that did it for me. It is one of those exceptional albums where every track is something special.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ravenscroft Help
by Grandman - 11/30/20 10:36 PM
loudness/projection vs. bright/mellow
by Piano Math - 11/30/20 08:19 PM
Growing up with an Acoustic Piano
by Deltajockey - 11/30/20 07:35 PM
The 100 Hardest Piano Concertos
by achoo42 - 11/30/20 06:19 PM
MIDI to USB double output
by lukasz-zsakul - 11/30/20 04:57 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,174
Posts3,029,099
Members99,438
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission