2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
50 members (Brendan, aspirar, David B, AndyP, astrotoy, dcbluepiano, CharlesXX, Charles Cohen, Almaviva, 10 invisible), 407 guests, and 451 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19
Re: War and Peace - Tolstoy
cmb13 #2908930 11/06/19 04:38 PM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Well, I'm cat-sitting my father's beautiful cat (otherwise known as my brother...we're the same generation, I suppose), and he and I are reading W&P together, while my Labradoodle jealously sits at my feet. He's to big for the sofa.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
cmb13 #2908931 11/06/19 04:39 PM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Good points, Cathy, all of them. Pierre is starting to grow up. The transformation takes a while, but I guess that's true for most of us.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

cmb13 #2909024 11/06/19 11:21 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by cmb13
Well, I'm cat-sitting my father's beautiful cat (otherwise known as my brother...we're the same generation, I suppose), and he and I are reading W&P together, while my Labradoodle jealously sits at my feet. He's to big for the sofa.

I saw your Labradoodle in one of your videos, he is adorable!

cmb13 #2909542 11/08/19 12:23 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Nice article in the WSJ this morning: “Berezina: On Three Wheels From Moscow to Paris Chasing Napoleon’s Epic Fail"

Here is the link to the article: Berezina

Last edited by TomLC; 11/08/19 12:27 PM.

[Linked Image]

Kawai NV10
dumka1 #2909561 11/08/19 01:28 PM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dumka1

Thanks! Wally Conron thinks he's a monster.:(. He is getting into some health issues at a young age, unfortunately.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

TomLC #2909564 11/08/19 01:33 PM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TomLC
Nice article in the WSJ this morning: “Berezina: On Three Wheels From Moscow to Paris Chasing Napoleon’s Epic Fail"

Good article, Tom.

Btw, didn't the Germans repeat Napoleon's mistake late in WWII? Wasn't this one of the things leading to their demise? You would think Hitler (I can barely type his name without cringing) would have been a student of military history, or at least would have read War and Peace, and would have known better.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

cmb13 #2909576 11/08/19 01:53 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
yes, I believe he broke an alliance with Stalin. But I don't recall why. At that time, I think, he had defeated Europe and North Africa quickly, except for England. And he planned to tidy that up in due order. So he probably expected Russia to fall as easily. He did get pretty far into Russia before Stalin, with the help of the weather, pushed him back. Maybe our professor can enlighten us?

[Linked Image]

Kawai NV10
cmb13 #2909581 11/08/19 02:02 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I'm on page 557 now. The Rostov's are staying with Count Andreich and Marya waiting for Andrei and selling their Moscow property. Really liking this book.

[Linked Image]

Kawai NV10
TomLC #2909585 11/08/19 02:10 PM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
I'm on page 557 now. The Rostov's are staying with Count Andreich and Marya waiting for Andrei and selling their Moscow property. Really liking this book.

That's a good section......lots of activity coming up. Not all so happy. Let us know what you think of the events to follow.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

cmb13 #2909586 11/08/19 02:14 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Good article, Tom.

Btw, didn't the Germans repeat Napoleon's mistake late in WWII? Wasn't this one of the things leading to their demise? You would think Hitler (I can barely type his name without cringing) would have been a student of military history, or at least would have read War and Peace, and would have known better.

One of the things I love is the description of Kutuzov hanging out in the Moscow Region and doing nothing, waiting for Napoleon's house of cards to collapse. Such a brilliant and insightful man! In many ways, the half-blind Kutuzov reminds me of WW2's Marshall Zhukov, who kicked Hitler's @ss on the Eastern Front in the Battle of Moscow (very reminiscent of Kutozov's Moscow defense) and he incredibly decisive Operation Bagration.

Anyone else see parallels between Kutuzov and Zhukov?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
cmb13 #2910422 11/10/19 03:21 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Yes! A lot of excitement in that last part of Volume 2. So I’m now in the third volume. The war of 1812 that I know little about. We were taught about how Britain, the Canadians, and the American Indians, were all fighting the US in the War of 1812. So I find this all very interesting. Tolstoy philosophy’s so much in the first several pages that I had to read each paragraph twice. Then read it again. He gets his point across through. How futile war is. It makes me think of the Vietnam war. And others after that... So stupid and sad. 😞

[Linked Image]

Kawai NV10
cmb13 #2912542 11/15/19 07:23 PM
D
D

Thanks! Wally Conron thinks he's a monster.:(. He is getting into some health issues at a young age, unfortunately.

That's too bad. My adopted dog (some mysterious mix, probably a setter and a border collie or Aussie shephard) had been quite healthy until this year when she tore one knee ligament after another (two surgeries in 3 months... She's between 8 and 10 years old, so not young anymore...

dumka1 #2912550 11/15/19 07:52 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
That's too bad. My adopted dog (some mysterious mix, probably a setter and a border collie or Aussie shephard) had been quite healthy until this year when she tore one knee ligament after another (two surgeries in 3 months... She's between 8 and 10 years old, so not young anymore...

We adopted two Siberian cats - littermate who were found in the snow in Moscow last winter! Anyone who knows Moscow winters will realize those kittens were not long for the world if they hadn't been found. They are ok now but were so sick for so long. They had at least 6 different diseases including worms, fungal infections, and various intestinal disorders. At one point, both of them lost half their hair. They needed 6 months of veterinary treatment each. So rescue pets can be very health or not healthy at all depending on the roll of the dice.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
TomLC #2912617 11/15/19 11:36 PM
D
D
yes, I believe he broke an alliance with Stalin. But I don't recall why. At that time, I think, he had defeated Europe and North Africa quickly, except for England. And he planned to tidy that up in due order. So he probably expected Russia to fall as easily. He did get pretty far into Russia before Stalin, with the help of the weather, pushed him back. Maybe our professor can enlighten us?

So, as far as I understand (not being a historian), yes, Hitler broke his alliance with Stalin hoping for more resources, including slave labor, potentially offered by the vast Soviet Union. He caught Stalin completely off guard (and it didn't help that Stalin had purged most of the Soviet military elite in the late 1930s), hence the huge losses on the Soviet side and the initial quick advancement of the German army into the USSR.

I may disappear for a week or so--have to finish a conference paper (on Tolstoy, actually, although not on War and Peace) and then am going to the conference but will catch up after I get back. I might try to participate at least a little bit in the recital discussion before I go...

Tyrone Slothrop #2912619 11/15/19 11:38 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

We adopted two Siberian cats - littermate who were found in the snow in Moscow last winter! Anyone who knows Moscow winters will realize those kittens were not long for the world if they hadn't been found. They are ok now but were so sick for so long. They had at least 6 different diseases including worms, fungal infections, and various intestinal disorders. At one point, both of them lost half their hair. They needed 6 months of veterinary treatment each. So rescue pets can be very health or not healthy at all depending on the roll of the dice.

Good for you, poor kittens but they lucked out in the end!

dumka1 #2912722 11/16/19 10:31 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Yes they did luck out - no more Moscow winters for them. They emigrated via Aeroflot to Amsterdam, where my wife talks to them in Russian as much as possible so they don't forget their roots. 😂

[Linked Image]

Tyrone Slothrop #2912816 11/16/19 03:36 PM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

Yes they did luck out - no more Moscow winters for them. They emigrated via Aeroflot to Amsterdam, where my wife talks to them in Russian as much as possible so they don't forget their roots. 😂

Have you read The Heart of a Dog by Mikhail Bulgakov? It's a hilarious story, but the cats in the story do not fare well.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
LarryK #2912852 11/16/19 05:10 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LarryK
Have you read The Heart of a Dog by Mikhail Bulgakov? It's a hilarious story, but the cats in the story do not fare well.

No, I only read Bulgakov's The Master and the Margarita and I've seen the theater adaptation in Moscow. Just brilliant. Is The Heart of a Dog as good?

[Linked Image]

cmb13 #2912878 11/16/19 06:40 PM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by LarryK

No, I only read Bulgakov's The Master and the Margarita and I've seen the theater adaptation in Moscow. Just brilliant. Is The Heart of a Dog as good?

I think The Heart of a Dog is good but perhaps not as good as Margarita. Be prepared for magical realism, lol.

I found a Russian film version on YouTube:

My Russian friend told me that all Russians know this film.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
cmb13 #2913453 11/18/19 12:13 PM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
I'm nearly finished with the body of the novel. I'm up to the part where Dolokhov and Denisov are chasing the French out of Russia. Nothing earth shattering to discuss, just good writing and a great story.

Pierre seems to be enjoying the experience of being a prisoner. It seems he feels it is all part of life's adventure. smile

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha Sound Decay
by Lonnie Bear - 08/14/20 07:44 PM
Experiences with Roland RD-88 (or Yamaha CP88)?
by Karnevil - 08/14/20 07:35 PM
Lord Vinheterio?
by JeanieA - 08/14/20 07:11 PM
Diagnosing noisy una corda pedal
by Kernzy - 08/14/20 05:53 PM
Help with felt replacement
by Caybren Marez - 08/14/20 02:58 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,928
Posts2,991,918
Members98,150
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission