2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
25 members (clothearednincompo, Frédéric L, Deltajockey, Emery Wang, CraiginNZ, Gianluca, Caleb1416, Calavera, CyberGene, chopinetto, 4 invisible), 391 guests, and 423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Re: Pen Pal Thread
cmb13 #2718863 03/04/18 01:32 PM
You know, I could never get through to the end of Dorian Gray (I suppose it's a bit like the portrait!)- probably didn't like the characters, and the writing was a bit too pretentious, perhaps, so I actually have no idea what happens at the end ... I will have to put that book behind the Le Guin, and the Cook book, on my stack of books to read.

For me, I love sitting in the sun reading about the history of the land I'm in, smelling the dust, hearing the native birds etc.

The Time Team is so delightfully droll! And it's also great to see the various parts of the UK in high detail (I am also an expat).

I saw a Pompeii exhibit in Germany at one time (I haven't been to Pompeii myself), and felt the same way about the petrified people. I am so used to seeing modern sculptures that look just like that, that it took some time to get used to the idea that they were once actual people. It certainly makes an imprint on one's mind.

"Genius is not the sign of demigodliness, but the sign of having a profoundly practical mind" - anonymous

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTc4esj9xQG6NjLIr9an29Q
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
cmb13 #2718870 03/04/18 02:09 PM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Maddie,

Sounds like you're on your way to simplifying your life....retirement is good, I personally can't wait. I have too many hobbies and not enough time. I hope the stress level goes way down now. Toxic workplaces can take their toll.

I abandoned that waltz after going all in on the Milonga. I spent a couple hours recording it yesterday; I have a take that's good but not perfect, but it'll do. I unfortunately have not kept up with my scales, but dabbled in double thirds from Hanon this week, as I've come across them in two pieces on which I'm working (Lizst and Debussy). I guess I'm educating myself by need, as issues arise, which is not ideal or standard, but it's working for me, and let's face it, I'm never going to be a concert pianist anyway.

Last summer, we visited London; it was the best trip I've ever taken. I didn't even get out to the countryside as intended, but I really would love to see Bath, Bristol, York, and Northern England one day.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
cmb13 #2718872 03/04/18 02:15 PM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Pianopi, in which part of the world did you end up? I would think it would be hard to leave the UK. I too like to read, but there's only so much time, and piano is taking up a lot of it. That, exercise, family and work. Love almost all works by Dickens, but did not care for Bronte's Wuthering Heights; I just don't get what there was to love about it. That's about all I know about British Literature, at least of the Victorian Era.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

cmb13 #2719384 03/06/18 11:59 AM
I am in the US, and really enjoy this series: https://loa.org/books. I enjoy wandering around the library until I find one of the Library of America editions I haven't read. I have discovered so many really wonderful authors, and have taken a real liking to American literature. I also really enjoy Dickens, cmb13.

Bach_ingMaddie, I agree the fingering in the Magrath looks a little unusual at first glance, but after trying my own fingering (which I tend to do a lot) and coming back to the Magrath suggestions, I am actually finding them quite sensible.

"Genius is not the sign of demigodliness, but the sign of having a profoundly practical mind" - anonymous

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTc4esj9xQG6NjLIr9an29Q
cmb13 #2740707 05/30/18 11:45 AM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Just thought I'd update this thread a little. It was a great weekend; I had the opportunity to host my niece and her fiance for the memorial day weekend. Unfortunately, very little piano time, but we did begin a 2000 piece puzzle that remains only half completed. It's notable that 2000 piece puzzles seem more than twice as hard a 1000 piece puzzles, the most I'd previously tackled. I did play La fIlle aux chevaux de lin for them, and the Liszt consolation, and the Adagio, my most current pieces.

I have recorded La Fille a few times for the Debussy recital, and I have a good take but not perfect. I'm deciding whether to submit it r try again. We'll see. It really took a long time to learn and to play well, but now it's memorized and I'm playing it without the sheet which is nice, a new accomplishment for me.

I recently began the Gymnopedie 1, by Satie, and to my surprise I was able to learn it in 2-3 days. It's really not that difficult, and I don't have it up to speed, but at least I can get through it. I guess my playing is progressing. It's nice and slow, and to my surprise, my wife really liked it. She usually favors rock/pop, thus the surprise.

Has anyone come across Lisitza's Millennial Suite by Stephen Limbaugh? Just listened to it..it's pretty good but hopefully his politics won't dominate his music (seems he shares philosophy with his cousin Rush).

Finally, my Tonal Harmony just arrived.....time to browse!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

cmb13 #2740786 05/30/18 02:51 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cmb13
Just thought I'd update this thread a little. It was a great weekend; I had the opportunity to host my niece and her fiance for the memorial day weekend. Unfortunately, very little piano time, but we did begin a 2000 piece puzzle that remains only half completed. It's notable that 2000 piece puzzles seem more than twice as hard a 1000 piece puzzles, the most I'd previously tackled. I did play La fIlle aux chevaux de lin for them, and the Liszt consolation, and the Adagio, my most current pieces.

I have recorded La Fille a few times for the Debussy recital, and I have a good take but not perfect. I'm deciding whether to submit it r try again. We'll see. It really took a long time to learn and to play well, but now it's memorized and I'm playing it without the sheet which is nice, a new accomplishment for me.

I recently began the Gymnopedie 1, by Satie, and to my surprise I was able to learn it in 2-3 days. It's really not that difficult, and I don't have it up to speed, but at least I can get through it. I guess my playing is progressing. It's nice and slow, and to my surprise, my wife really liked it. She usually favors rock/pop, thus the surprise.

Has anyone come across Lisitza's Millennial Suite by Stephen Limbaugh? Just listened to it..it's pretty good but hopefully his politics won't dominate his music (seems he shares philosophy with his cousin Rush).

Finally, my Tonal Harmony just arrived.....time to browse!

Sounds like you had a very nice weekend! It is nice that you were able to play your most current pieces for them. I bet they enjoyed them.

I just listened to Valentina play the Millennial Suite by Stehen Limbaugh. I enjoyed the music, and agree that Valentina can turn almost anything to gold! The composers website is strange, but is interesting if you look through it. His video The Fox is actually very interesting. As for sharing politics with his 2nd cousin, who really cares. Musicians have historically incorporated their politics/thoughts into their music. The important thing is IF the music is good grin

[Linked Image]
cmb13 #2909526 11/08/19 10:40 AM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
As the endless debate thread has grown, I thought it would be nice for this one to reestablish dominance over that one - with nice, happy, non controversial issues. What are you all up to? Post up!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

cmb13 #2909529 11/08/19 10:43 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
As the endless debate thread has grown, I thought it would be nice for this one to reestablish dominance over that one - with nice, happy, non controversial issues. What are you all up to? Post up!

Heehee! I just reminded you of this thread, didn't I? Fess up! 😀

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Tyrone Slothrop #2909533 11/08/19 10:54 AM
A
A
I took the day off. Started off with a little piano practice prior to an 8:30 lesson. Working on the first 12 measures of Chopin's Funeral March. Struggling a little with articulation of the grace notes--otherwise satisfied with the slow progress.

Teacher was generally pleased as well--with some admonitions to open the piece a little softer and loosen the wrist a bit in the right hand. When properly executed--it smoothes it out very well. The grace notes are easier to hit in time and with proper accent.

Loose right wrist is the theme of the day. The ascending arpeggios in Fur Elise were another focus area. again the fluidity and evenness improved as long as conscious effort is maintained. Hopefully this becomes second nature at some point.

Overall my teacher is pleased with my progress. She feels the softer wristed approach will result in a jump in ability once ingrained.

Now I'm getting ready to play some casual golf!

cmb13 #2909535 11/08/19 11:07 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've never even seen this thread. Nice smile

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
cmb13 #2909537 11/08/19 11:14 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have been looking at AnthemScore lately. Has anybody here tried it?
I'm wondering how much of a 'useful' sheet one might get from a piano solo with this software?

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
Jytte #2909548 11/08/19 11:47 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jytte
I have been looking at AnthemScore lately. Has anybody here tried it?
I'm wondering how much of a 'useful' sheet one might get from a piano solo with this software?

Try it and let us know! I've seen some things like this, but the resulting score usually requires heavy editing since people are imprecise and rubato gets mangled smile However, this says it uses AI techniques, so maybe it tries to infer what was on the original score from a person's attempt to play that score.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Jytte #2909554 11/08/19 12:20 PM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jytte
I've never even seen this thread. Nice smile

It's a Zombie thread, back from the dead!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

Tyrone Slothrop #2909556 11/08/19 12:22 PM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Heehee! I just reminded you of this thread, didn't I? Fess up! 😀

100% 🔆

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

Antihero #2909559 11/08/19 12:25 PM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Antihero
I took the day off. Started off with a little piano practice prior to an 8:30 lesson. Working on the first 12 measures of Chopin's Funeral March. Struggling a little with articulation of the grace notes--otherwise satisfied with the slow progress.

Teacher was generally pleased as well--with some admonitions to open the piece a little softer and loosen the wrist a bit in the right hand. When properly executed--it smoothes it out very well. The grace notes are easier to hit in time and with proper accent.

Loose right wrist is the theme of the day. The ascending arpeggios in Fur Elise were another focus area. again the fluidity and evenness improved as long as conscious effort is maintained. Hopefully this becomes second nature at some point.

Overall my teacher is pleased with my progress. She feels the softer wristed approach will result in a jump in ability once ingrained.

Now I'm getting ready to play some casual golf!

I took some time off this week also; I felt a little burned out. I'm working on some Bach Inventions, and finishing the Chopin Nocturne in E min. Loose wrists rule....they really help with speed. Unfortunately, I have to get the accuracy first, then I can loosen up for speed.

I was hoping to have the Nocturne ready for the upcoming recital, but it may have to wait until the next one. I'm not sure it's recording ready. It seems that there is a big gap between done and done-done. lol

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

cmb13 #2909567 11/08/19 12:36 PM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Right now I'm listening to some old Fleetwood Mac....pre Stevie / Lindsay....including A Fool No More and Oh Well, from Then Play On. Anyone ever listen to these classics?

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

cmb13 #2909612 11/08/19 02:52 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I was hoping to have the Nocturne ready for the upcoming recital, but it may have to wait until the next one. I'm not sure it's recording ready. It seems that there is a big gap between done and done-done. lol

I'm in a similar situation; my chosen piece is definitely the most difficult I have ever been so close to getting ready, and I really, really want to record it, but there's less than a week left, and it still ain't there yet. The weekend will bring some much needed time for practising, but I'm cutting it awfully close.

In other news, I will soon light some incense, and meditate for half an hour while listening to relaxing new age meditation music with binaural beats (theta waves, if anyone is curious).

By the way, nice thread this one. It must have gone into hibernation right about the time I joined, so I didn't know about it.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
cmb13 #2909615 11/08/19 02:53 PM
E
E
Hi, guys!

I love Fleetwood Mac smile My parents used to listen to them so their music makes me really nostalgic. Fleetwood Mac, Simon and Garfunkel, Bread...

I have no piano lessons for the next two weeks because my teacher has a new grandbaby that she's going to see. So, that's exciting smile

And... I got tickets to Les Miserables in January. I've never seen it, so I'm REALLY looking forward to going! I've been playing "I Dreamed a Dream" over and over in anticipation, hahaha.

cmb13 #2909630 11/08/19 03:22 PM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
enw, I'm listening to really old Fleetwood Mac, before the Lindsay Buckingham / Stevie Nicks days....deep cuts. Love it. And Rumors, with the two above, was one of the top 10 rock albums of all time.

I have seen Les Mis years ago, but only recently saw the BBC / PBS miniseries. Great show. I bought the book, it's on deck!

Glad you like the thread, Quasi!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

enw10 #2909633 11/08/19 03:26 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by enw10
And... I got tickets to Les Miserables in January. I've never seen it, so I'm REALLY looking forward to going! I've been playing "I Dreamed a Dream" over and over in anticipation, hahaha.

After you see the real theater production, you might want to catch the 2012 movie version where they have real Hollywood actors that can sing a tiny bit (meaning they might have sung in the shower or sung karaoke before laugh ) actually singing lead roles. No voice-overs, and my understanding is they didn't do any autotuning! Of course it is very rough singing but this lends this film version verismo, which was probably what the director wanted. Anyways, I have a complete weakness for Anne Hathaway, so there's that!

Anne Hathaway's rendition of I Dreamed a Dream in the 2012 movie can always make me cut up a bit: 😿

[Linked Image]

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ravenscroft Help
by Grandman - 11/30/20 10:36 PM
loudness/projection vs. bright/mellow
by Piano Math - 11/30/20 08:19 PM
Growing up with an Acoustic Piano
by Deltajockey - 11/30/20 07:35 PM
The 100 Hardest Piano Concertos
by achoo42 - 11/30/20 06:19 PM
MIDI to USB double output
by lukasz-zsakul - 11/30/20 04:57 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,174
Posts3,029,099
Members99,438
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission