2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 94 of 237 1 2 92 93 94 95 96 236 237
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by CyberGene
After I extended the soft-close pins of the fallboard to their max position I think the pins were way too tight in the sockets which made the fallboard feel a bit tighter, especially in the last moments before fully open where it needs a push backwards to touch the rubber bushings rather than falling from its own weight...

I was actually concerned about that also. I didn't notice a difference in feel after I adjusted the pins, but I wondered if they might be too tight in there causing unnecessary wear to the mechanism. I thought about creating a little space like you did. Now I think I'm going to do it just for peace of mind.

It will be interesting to see if the creaking comes back. Maybe not if I space them out evenly on both sides.

God Bless,
David

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Well, a bit of creaking came back, better than before though. Creating a little space makes the pin plate hard to perfectly align since the screw holes are not just elongated but also wider than the screw and as you yourself first noticed is the reason for slight creaking on rotation. But I don’t think it’s of any concern. Actually it’s not exactly creaking in my case, it’s a slight knocking sound in a particular position while the fallboard is slowly closing, if that’s what you mean.

Last edited by CyberGene; 11/05/19 06:26 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by CyberGene
...Creating a little space makes the pin plate hard to perfectly align since the screw holes are not just elongated but also wider than the screw and as you yourself first noticed is the reason for slight creaking on rotation...

Yeah, I just took mine off and only adjusted one side for that very reason. It's easier to keep one side straight rather than two.

Now I have a very small amount of play ~2mm. It actually makes the fallboard easier to remove and install and there is no creaking. It's not totally silent (never has been), but it doesn't have the consistent distinct noise it had before the first adjustment. After the first adjustment and now, I might occasionally hear a little faint noise, but it's not consistent.

Now I've got peace of mind. Thanks!

God Bless,
David

T
T
Hello, everyone! Dropped by to say that I've bought N1x and it's (obviously) amazing.
Time to finally buy good adjustable bench and more importantly practice to finally start playing decently wink
Cheers and have a good day!

[img]https://imgur.com/OHJBJA4[/img]

PS. It's funny to look back at my old P-115. And it sounds & feels so bad in comparison.
To be fair, for a complete beginner which i was a while ago there was a little difference at the time, but you better get all the reflexes and mind-finger coordination right from the start.

PSS. Lol i haven't used any forum for years, how do you properly insert the link? smile

Last edited by tntultra; 11/07/19 04:21 PM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by tntultra
Hello, everyone! Dropped by to say that I've bought N1x and it's (obviously) amazing.
Time to finally buy good adjustable bench and more importantly practice to finally start playing decently wink

PS. It's funny to look back at my old P-115. And it sounds & feels so bad in comparison.
To be fair, for a complete beginner which i was a while ago there was a little difference at the time, but you better get all the reflexes and mind-finger coordination right from the start.

PSS. Lol i haven't used any forum for years, how do you properly insert the link? smile

Congratulation to your new piano, the N1X is an amazing instrument!

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D

Wonderful!

The list of satisfied N1X owners keeps expanding.

Thanks for sharing.

God bless,
David

C
C
Originally Posted by David B

Yeah, I have been wondering about the list. Where do we stand now, compared to the novusites?

D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Csillag

Yeah, I have been wondering about the list. Where do we stand now, compared to the novusites?

Paging Tyrone. smile

I think he has the most updated list of N1X owners.

God bless,
David

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G

Lol, is this a race now? If so, I think we should concede immediately just based on price!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Yeah, welcome to all last new N1X owners and let the race begin! Real dampers or binaural? Touch screen vs USB interface? It’s a tough game!

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Welcome to the club, tntultra!

The actual Imgur link has a '.jpg' at the end of the filename. If you add it to what you had above (just following the 'OHJBJA4'), you get:

[Linked Image]

Nice! When you have a chance, you might update the Prices Paid thread with what you paid for that beauty. smile

Originally Posted by navindra
Did Tyrone also join the ranks of Pete1-13? If not, the official list and count of N1X owners needs to be updated, stat.
Paging Tyrone. smile

I think he has the most updated list of N1X owners.

Yes, yes, the list was falling out of date. Not counting our erstwhile member StefVR who immediately upgraded to a real acoustic, we are now up to 28!: Euler1707, CyberGene, pianokat123, J5on, Amy C, Bro', jgbs, Tyrone Slothrop, David B, Chrispy, percy64, nax, Canticle80, kipdent, Haruki, RobertInFlorida, stewart715, StefVR (sold), JJHLH, Onyx, perezdaniel88, Adagios/Pabitel, wintyfresh, Aristede, srslysupersonic, kiwon0905, Csillag, EddyN1x, tntultra

Also a belated welcome to kiwon0905, Csillag, and EddyN1x! smile

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
J
J

Congratulations on your new N1X’s tntultra and EddyN1X!

Last edited by JJHLH; 11/07/19 11:00 PM.

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
B
B
Hello everybody,

I'm serioulsly considering buying a Yamaha N1X. But, off course I hesitate between many pianos...
In particular I would like to be certain that there will be no gap between my piano an my teacher's one. Her piano is a an upright Samick (120 cm more or less with "premium" quality...).
I have already difficulties to play this upright when I work on my Kawai ES8. The ES8 Keyboard is way too light.
(for example when playing boogie woogie - https://www.noviscore.fr/partition-piano-speed-sail-boogie-the-red-key-makers).
So my question is about the N1X keyboard ; is it not too light ? For comparison is it lighter than the CLP 675 ?

My pianos : Kawai ES8, Yamaha N1X
Headphone : Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 Ω
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BachToTheFuture
Hello everybody,

I'm serioulsly considering buying a Yamaha N1X. But, off course I hesitate between many pianos...
In particular I would like to be certain that there will be no gap between my piano an my teacher's one. Her piano is a an upright Samick (120 cm more or less with "premium" quality...).
I have already difficulties to play this upright when I work on my Kawai ES8. The ES8 Keyboard is way too light.
(for example when playing boogie woogie - https://www.noviscore.fr/partition-piano-speed-sail-boogie-the-red-key-makers).
So my question is about the N1X keyboard ; is it not too light ? For comparison is it lighter than the CLP 675 ?

On your ES8, have you tried setting the "Touch Curve" to "Heavy+"? (p. 91 of the manual)

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hello everybody,

All things considered, an upright action is more difficult to control than a grand piano, in my opinion. I would prefer to perform on a grand piano but practice on an upright piano (because I find an upright piano action more difficult to control).

It's like running with a backpack; remove it and it's easier to run. smile

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
B
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

On your ES8, have you tried setting the "Touch Curve" to "Heavy+"? (p. 91 of the manual)

Yes, but my teacher says always that I play too loud on the acoustic upright, so if I set to Heavy+, I think it will be worst ?

My pianos : Kawai ES8, Yamaha N1X
Headphone : Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 Ω
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Yes, but my teacher says always that I play too loud on the acoustic upright, so if I set to Heavy+, I think it will be worst ?

Odd that you feel the upright is heavier and then play even louder. Maybe you should test once with a Light setting?

[Linked Image]

T
T
If it helps, in the shop i tried all really expensive clavinovas, kawaii's and acoustic pianos (mostly big 125+ upright yamahas and petrofs + some baby-grands).
Any clavinova keyboard compared to AG feels not responsive, plastic and just simply terrible (as any other keyboard, same for kawai ones on CA58 and CA78).
Upright action feels tighter and yeah, harder to control, especially on p/pp range.
N1X keyboard isn't very light, but it's incredibly sensitive. Everything you do badly instantly backfires into bad sound, which is amazing for learning and just playing if you're good enough. Every nuance you can possibly imagine you can do - not such on any electronic keyboard I've tried.
After i played N1X these 2 days i understood how terrible and uneven my technique actually is, which is both discouraging and great at the same time smile You always want to have the best feedback from the instrument and AG is definitely miles ahead of clavinova/CA series.
Is it worth buying vs NU1X (which is almost 2 times cheaper in Russia) i can't tell, because i couldn't find one to actually play on. Knowing how great N1X is i guess NU1X would feel as good as it can possibly be.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

This is a common problem if one practise a lot on digital pianos. The problem is rarely the actual key weight, but rather that one play with the volume too low. Ideal is to set the volume so the perceived volume is the same as an acoustic instrument. That said, one can of course prefer heavier or lighter action. Just bare in mind that the actual weight on a modern grand piano (for example Steinway) is lighter than many dp:s.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I have replaced an ES7 (similar action to ES8) with the N1X and can confirm the N1X feels much more substantial and "heavy". It's too easy to play the ES7 and generate unrealistically loud notes. On the N1X the inertia of the keys is much higher and the dynamic response is much more linear - you need to really work it out to produce loud notes.

Last edited by CyberGene; 11/08/19 11:43 AM.

Page 94 of 237 1 2 92 93 94 95 96 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission