2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Is it possible to add 2 external speakers to Roland LX-706 for them to sound along with 6 built-in ones as one 8-speakers system?

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yes. The manual says ...
Output jacks (L/Mono, R)
Here you can connect external speakers via cables that are equipped with mono 1/4” plugs (commercially available).
Since this lets the sound of the piano be louder, it is useful when you are playing in front of a large number of people."

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Yes. The manual says ...
Output jacks (L/Mono, R)
Here you can connect external speakers via cables that are equipped with mono 1/4” plugs (commercially available).
Since this lets the sound of the piano be louder, it is useful when you are playing in front of a large number of people."

Oh... I am far away from this piano now, so, couldn't watch the manual.
I just wonder if i is possible to buy a couple of speakers and somehow make LX-706 sound closer to that of LX-708, in terms of frequencies balance, richness etc.

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

The only way to know is to try.
But I wonder ... would it be difficult to try? Are there many stores where you live ... in northeast Siberia?!
(How's the weather up there?)

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
But I wonder ... would it be difficult to try? Are there many stores where you live ... in northeast Siberia?!

His piano isn't in northeast Siberia. But PSA33, does this mean you've been dreaming about your piano from far away? 😊

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Have you compared LX706 and the 708 side by side and if so how would you describe the sound difference?

I have only heard 706 and felt the sound seemed to come from a distance behind the piano. A pair of front-facing speakers should fix this.

Yes. The manual says ...
Output jacks (L/Mono, R)

Mac, I think you need 1 or 2 amplifiers between the o/p and the speaker(s) . . .go on, now just tell me I been doin' this all wrong, all these years . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
Yes. The manual says ...
Output jacks (L/Mono, R)

Mac, I think you need 1 or 2 amplifiers between the o/p and the speaker(s) . . .go on, now just tell me I been doin' this all wrong, all these years . . . .

Or you could just use active monitors instead of passive speakers, and have amps built into the speaker.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
D
D
Mac's been around a while so I'm sure he meant powered speakers.

Some keyboards are designed so the internal speakers are muted when line out is used but you should be able to go in and set for them to stay on.

Actually my first foray into piano amplification was with a set of un-powered speakers, driven by a suitable A/V receiver. The latter provided 5 channels ... enough for my 4 speakers.

I've since switched to monitors. So you might say I swing both ways.

Note: peterws was surely just poking fun, right?

Actually my first foray into piano amplification was with a set of un-powered speakers, driven by a suitable A/V receiver. The latter provided 5 channels ... enough for my 4 speakers.

I've since switched to monitors. So you might say I swing both ways.

Note: peterws was surely just poking fun, right?

If you're new to the business, how'd you know? Many guitar speaker cabinets have no amps. But there's another point here.
My lappie outputs audio from the h/ph socket; most do the same. And the volume, if amplified at that point, is much less than when I feed said output into "audio in" on piano, and use the lineouts from that to the same amplification. There's a large gain.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

His piano isn't in northeast Siberia. But PSA33, does this mean you've been dreaming about your piano from far away? 😊

Qiute right, Tyrone smile
Looks like I'm gonna leave Udachny in the end of January. This work takes too much strength from me. I always thought of job as of a basement for life, but not life itself. If a job takes too much effort and leaves no energy for life - hobby, reading books etc. - I don't need such a job.

YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoStartsAt33
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Qiute right, Tyrone smile
Looks like I'm gonna leave Udachny in the end of January. This work takes too much strength from me. I always thought of job as of a basement for life, but not life itself. If a job takes too much effort and leaves no energy for life - hobby, reading books etc. - I don't need such a job.

I've always thought jobs like yours take a lot out of a person, and here you've confirmed it. I hope life after Udachny is more to your liking.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by PianoStartsAt33
Yes. The manual says ...
Output jacks (L/Mono, R)

Oh... I am far away from this piano now, so, couldn't watch the manual.
I just wonder if i is possible to buy a couple of speakers and somehow make LX-706 sound closer to that of LX-708, in terms of frequencies balance, richness etc.

I think you also need to buy an amplifier, connect it to the output jacks, and then connect the amplifier to the (passive hifi) speakers you buy. This is what I'm doing.

It's a good idea to do this though! You can also use the EQ on the amplifier to modify the sound to some extent.

Last edited by 3am_stargazing; 01/02/20 02:48 PM.

Kawai K-500 | M-Audio Keystation 49 | Casio PX-S1000 | ADAM Audio T8V
Also the best result seems to come from using large floorstanding hi fi speakers, with a separate amplifier.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
From what i have read here on the forum so far most people seem to think a pair och good active studio monitors is the best way to go. In that case you don’t need an extra amplifier just power to the speakers.

I find it advantageous to have the extra amplifier. But the sound of monitors beats the sound of hi-fi speakers.

O
O
I’ve been waiting to see if someone is brave enough to change the OEM speakers for something a little better... or indeed create a solution that is facing the right direction (those oval-shaped speakers underneath the key bed on the LX-706 fire towards the player’s knees)... but... warranty!! So I guess monitors fit the bill.

A 705 project would be possible (speakers are part of the stand, not the piano - apart from the spatial speakers which are very subtle in their output anyway). So ordering a spare stand kit is possible if one messes things up. Anyone fancy having a go? 🤓

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
Originally Posted by Boboulus
From what i have read here on the forum so far most people seem to think a pair och good active studio monitors is the best way to go. In that case you don’t need an extra amplifier just power to the speakers.

It's more convenient to use active speakers, but on average (to generalize wildly as speakers actually greatly vary) the sound quality will not be as good as you can possibly get with a powerful amplifier and high quality hi-fi speakers.

Last edited by 3am_stargazing; 01/04/20 03:22 PM.

I found that I got much more from monitors for the money.
Originally Posted by 3am_stargazing
It's more convenient to use active speakers, but on average (to generalize wildly as speakers actually greatly vary) the sound quality will not be as good as you can possibly get with a powerful amplifier and high quality hi-fi speakers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission