2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,449 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
G
Hope you enjoy this video of some unique Steinway Pianos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwVZP2xTQuY

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Hi Grandman,

Thanks for the post.

The whole idea of "the vault" is the expansion of something piano dealers have been doing for decades. It is standard practice to have an area that is reserved for a special customer that contains special pianos. This idea originally came from the real need of someone choosing a serious piano to have some uninterrupted time to do so.

Dealers began using these areas to denote exclusivity. The feeling that only "special people" got to go in. That you somehow were "better than" others if you were invited into this special room. It made the client feel "included" in an inner circle of some kind. Wine racks, champagne coolers, chandeliers, and fine furnishings were added. The whole idea works when you are going for "exclusivity".

My personal problem with the idea is that exclusivity is exclusion. Exclusion is the way some dealers operate. I am clearly 180 degrees removed from that idea and I believe in having an inclusionary or inclusive way of doing business. I believe it will encourage more people to enjoy all of the great things that active music making at the piano has to offer. It is good for the improvement of life for all people and I think it is also good for business.

Do I have very expensive pianos? Do I supervise how those instruments are treated? Of course I do. That is a huge investment in the actual instruments and it is a significant labor expense to keep them in fine shape.

But I encourage everybody who might stop into one of my stores to sit at my most special instruments. Experience them. Understand what makes a great piano sing. Also, the look on a 7 year old's face who plays the instrument that Louis Lortie had played three nights before in concert makes my day.... and I might have planted a seed in that 7 year old that will blossom into a lifelong passion.

My 2 cents,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
T
T
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Hi Grandman,

Thanks for the post.

The whole idea of "the vault" is the expansion of something piano dealers have been doing for decades. It is standard practice to have an area that is reserved for a special customer that contains special pianos. This idea originally came from the real need of someone choosing a serious piano to have some uninterrupted time to do so.

Dealers began using these areas to denote exclusivity. The feeling that only "special people" got to go in. That you somehow were "better than" others if you were invited into this special room. It made the client feel "included" in an inner circle of some kind. Wine racks, champagne coolers, chandeliers, and fine furnishings were added. The whole idea works when you are going for "exclusivity".

My personal problem with the idea is that exclusivity is exclusion. Exclusion is the way some dealers operate. I am clearly 180 degrees removed from that idea and I believe in having an inclusionary or inclusive way of doing business. I believe it will encourage more people to enjoy all of the great things that active music making at the piano has to offer. It is good for the improvement of life for all people and I think it is also good for business.

Do I have very expensive pianos? Do I supervise how those instruments are treated? Of course I do. That is a huge investment in the actual instruments and it is a significant labor expense to keep them in fine shape.

But I encourage everybody who might stop into one of my stores to sit at my most special instruments. Experience them. Understand what makes a great piano sing. Also, the look on a 7 year old's face who plays the instrument that Louis Lortie had played three nights before in concert makes my day.... and I might have planted a seed in that 7 year old that will blossom into a lifelong passion.

My 2 cents,

Totally agree, however you need a human heart, not a salesman heart to think that way! Congratulations for you thinking this way smile Life would be so much better if this mindset would be applied across all product categories, not feeling like you're never going to touch something special because you weren't born to..

www.youtube.com/channel/UC073i6RnxK4NcnoFp1jYh7Q The place where I ocasionally post my amateur recordings smile
Criticism is welcomed since it helps improving and going forward!

Yamaha P-105 -> Roland HP-605 -> Roland LX708
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tudor33sud
Hi Grandman,

Thanks for the post.

My 2 cents,

Totally agree, however you need a human heart, not a salesman heart to think that way! Congratulations for you thinking this way smile Life would be so much better if this mindset would be applied across all product categories, not feeling like you're never going to touch something special because you weren't born to..

+1 Rich definitely has a great heart.

[Linked Image]
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Steinways in London let anybody try any instrument. They know that most of the time people won't be able to afford the instrument they're trying. Why do they bother?

Well, George and Moura at Steinways told me that they've seen it a few times over now, where someone will visit the shop several times, dreaming of buying a Steinway. They'll have no money, in some cases not even able to replace their shoes often enough, and then one day that same person's fortunes change, they come into some money, and the first thing they want to do after sorting themselves out is to buy a Steinway. They remember how they were treated when they were poor and go back to Steinway for that dream piano.

Rich, I like your philosophy, it's basically the same thing and makes sense from a sales perspective.

YAMAHA Artist
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Rich, yes to everything you said!!!

The salesmen and piano techs I met at the Steinway store during my shopping were really great. (Much better than the crazy guy in an unnamed piano store who would not leave me alone or stop talking long enough for me to try out any of his pianos!)

Anyway, the Steinway guys really did a good job of being welcoming and left a great impression on me. I am now happy to say that to anyone who asks me about which piano dealers I recommend. So although I didn't my current piano from them, they practice smart business by being so welcoming. And I would definitely go back there if I'm ever considering upgrading.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
C
Great video, but the dim purple lighting makes everything look ridiculous. Everything I've seen of the vault uses this setting, even though they apparently have a reasonable setting they can use! For someone trying to decide on a veneer, it's frustrating... the only images on Steinway's website are tiny photoshop jobs and the sample chips in the dealerships are likewise useless!

-Carl

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I wasn't that distracted by the off-colour (!) lighting. My question: With extremely limited access to a very invited few to "The Valut" how did Tiffany Poon (one of ten, she said) get on the A-list of pianists who get to visit such an inner sanctum?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
This is just a really expensive and elaborate sales tactic with the purpose of lending a kind of rarefied exclusivity to these pianos for those clients whose ego demands nothing less. I have no idea how successful this approach is but if it works, good for Steinway! These pianos seem to be targeted at decorators more than pianists.
Frankly, it makes sense to me that they would quarantine these pianos and keep them away from most pianists. If one is being sold on paying that kind of extra money they should also get some theatricality as part of their experience.
Sorry if I sound a bit salty here. This approach is taken with jewelry to help it seem more expensive and exclusive and if it works with pianos that is fair game.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
S
S
Originally Posted by BruceD
I wasn't that distracted by the off-colour (!) lighting. My question: With extremely limited access to a very invited few to "The Valut" how did Tiffany Poon (one of ten, she said) get on the A-list of pianists who get to visit such an inner sanctum?

Regards,

The 1 of 10 I think was a random number. Because of her YouTube-channel Steinway recently decided to sponsor her with access to a "free rent" Steinway Spirio for her home in return for her presenting Steinway in her channel. This was the first of many episodes of her V-blog doing just that.

August Förster 190
Kawai CA 98
Kawai MP7SE
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Grandman,

Thanks for the post.

My 2 cents,

Applause from me!
I started with a 67-key cheap keyboard (unweighted keys). Then I wanted a 'real' piano, a digital one. I went to a large store here in Germany. A very large showroom, with many pianos, acoustic as well as digital, including 4 or 5 grands in the 100K to 200K range. The salesman knew what I was looking for, he also knew I had no clue at the time, and I knew I had no clue. But, he guided me to the big grands and invited me to try them out as comparison. And that's exactly what I did. I 'played' on a couple of the grands, for the feel and for the sound. Then went in search of a digital that would match the grand I liked, and found it. Any and all questions were answered.
I am very happy with my piano, but should I ever need another (or suddenly need an acoustic grand), I will go back to that store.

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
My question: With extremely limited access to a very invited few to "The Valut" how did Tiffany Poon (one of ten, she said) get on the A-list of pianists who get to visit such an inner sanctum?

This is off her youtube channel:

Tiffany Poon
139K subscribers

Anyone who hosts a piano channel with 139,000 subscribers gets a free Steinway. She also has some really good instructional videos, so I'd rather see her get a free piano than one of these social influencers who can't do anything except blather.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
They lent her a Model M Spirio for six months.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

But what about the fingerprint scanner! Oh hang on a sec. It's 2019.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by MarkL
My question: With extremely limited access to a very invited few to "The Valut" how did Tiffany Poon (one of ten, she said) get on the A-list of pianists who get to visit such an inner sanctum?

Tiffany Poon
139K subscribers

Anyone who hosts a piano channel with 139,000 subscribers gets a free Steinway. She also has some really good instructional videos, so I'd rather see her get a free piano than one of these social influencers who can't do anything except blather.

I have seen some of her videos, some of her vlogs, and I must say that I like her, her personality, her obvious love for the music she plays, and I admire her I-just-can't-take-it-too-too-seriously attitude. With that, I get the impression that she's a hard worker, but she's a charmer along with it!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MarkL

Tiffany Poon
139K subscribers

I have seen some of her videos, some of her vlogs, and I must say that I like her, her personality, her obvious love for the music she plays, and I admire her I-just-can't-take-it-too-too-seriously attitude. With that, I get the impression that she's a hard worker, but she's a charmer along with it!

Regards,

+1. I agree wholeheartedly.

[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Yes, she seems like an absolutely charming and lovely woman.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I enjoyed the video and may subscribe to her channel. On the Steinway vault, I think anyone with a big fat checkbook and the appropriate “nothing but a Steinway will do” could get a tour and be able to try those pianos in the vault”.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
I am fairly confident in saying that if you buy a new Steinway and you demand a vault tour or there is no sale, you will get it.(strange sentence I know, don't feel like correcting it)

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Learux
I am fairly confident in saying that if you buy a new Steinway and you demand a vault tour or there is no sale, you will get it.(strange sentence I know, don't feel like correcting it)

"Plain black looks cheap. Don't you have something more expensive?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission