2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, 12 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by sara elizabeth
It's simple, really. Cats are awesome. Piano is awesome. Smart people like cats and piano. This is why they go together!

I couldn't agree more Sara! smirk

I love piano's and cats. But i don't love the fact there's always hairs on my piano, but they don't damage it.

If i would forget to close the lid after playing i think it could be a problem and my curious monsters will probably damage it, so.. i make sure i don't forget. I think a grand would be a bigger problem, they could jump in it while you are playing with the lid open.

Also.. cats don't start barking or making whiney noises when you are playing... or go full psycho when the doorbell rings. mad Yes, there is a small dog in the house also.. "our" dog... my girlfriend calls her dog. crazy

I like cats.

V
V
it seems to me that all people love cats, not just pianists

K
K
They require a lot less maintenance and attention than dogs. Plus you can train cats pretty easily to stay off countertops, pianos and the like. At least if they're not an ahole. smile

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I prefer the cat - human dynamic to the dog one.

I think the relationship with a dog is more a master - servant one, or alpha dog (human) and submissive one. The dog is dependent on the alpha.

Nearly everything with a cat has to be negotiated and if a cat really wants to do something you have to be clever about it to find a way to stop it. But at the same time they will show trust in you in their own way, however if you mistreat a cat if it gets a chance it will go find a better human. A dog too often remains devoted to an abusive owner. I just think I prefer the cats independent view which makes for a more interesting relationship.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Keytone
They require a lot less maintenance and attention than dogs. Plus you can train cats pretty easily to stay off countertops, pianos and the like. At least if they're not an ahole. smile

We have two cats. One will always go onto counters and is especially skilled at vase and planter destruction. The other one can only go where you put it and otherwise is largely floor-bound - except for the cat tree which he'll climb... sometimes and always with great effort.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by U3piano
......Also.. cats don't start barking or making whiney noises when you are playing...
Not always true. My cat (whose nickname was Stubbie) would sit on the floor to my left as I practiced and meow-whine at me. I would stop playing (and she would stop whining) and I would carry her to her favorite napping chair ('my' chair, of course) and settle her down for a nap. I'd carefully tip-toe back to the piano--and the cat would usually beat me back to the piano and start whining again. Sheesh.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stubbie
Originally Posted by U3piano
......Also.. cats don't start barking or making whiney noises when you are playing...
Not always true. My cat (whose nickname was Stubbie) would sit on the floor to my left as I practiced and meow-whine at me. I would stop playing (and she would stop whining) and I would carry her to her favorite napping chair ('my' chair, of course) and settle her down for a nap. I'd carefully tip-toe back to the piano--and the cat would usually beat me back to the piano and start whining again. Sheesh.

Cat jealousies. smile

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
[Linked Image]

S
S
I must not be a good pianist and it's the cats fault. While my dog is sleeping at my side - The Cat sneaks under the bench and lightly rubs agains my legs - it tickles and makes me mess up.

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KevinM

I think the relationship with a dog is more a master - servant one, or alpha dog (human) and submissive one. The dog is dependent on the alpha.

Nearly everything with a cat has to be negotiated and if a cat really wants to do something you have to be clever about it to find a way to stop it. But at the same time they will show trust in you in their own way, however if you mistreat a cat if it gets a chance it will go find a better human. A dog too often remains devoted to an abusive owner. I just think I prefer the cats independent view which makes for a more interesting relationship.

Wow - what an opportunity for analysis!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I live in a cats-only building in New York City, a rare thing, I can tell you, because most buildings in the city are overrun by dogs. This building is the quietest building I have ever lived in. I love dogs, and have owned them and trained them, but their nonstop barking when they've been left alone is enough to drive anybody mad. As somebody who works at home during the day, I feel incredibly lucky to have found an apartment in such a quiet building.

Last edited by LarryK; 11/06/19 10:58 PM.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LarryK
I live in a cats-only building in New York City, a rare thing, I can tell you, because most buildings in the city are overrun by dogs. This building is the quietest building I have ever lived in. I love dogs, and have owned them and trained them, but their nonstop barking when they've been left alone is enough to drive anybody mad. As somebody who works at home during the day, I feel incredibly lucky to have found an apartment in such a quiet building.

Is NYC still monkey-friendly? Many years ago in Manhattan, my ex-wife came within a split hair of adopting a Capuchin (monkey that is, not a monk!)

[Linked Image]

Thankfully, she was ultimately put off by the fact that they can not be potty trained... ever.

[Linked Image]

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Is NYC still monkey-friendly? Many years ago in Manhattan, my ex-wife came within a split hair of adopting a Capuchin (monkey that is, not a monk!)

[Linked Image]

Thankfully, she was ultimately put off by the fact that they can not be potty trained... ever.

It is illegal to have monkeys as pets in New York City. I find monkeys to be too unpredictable. There was a woman in Connecticut who had her face torn off by a chimp.

The guy who takes the cake, as far as exotic pets, is the guy who kept a Bengal Tiger in an apartment:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/02/nyregion/ming-tiger-harlem-dies.html

Oh, and recently some guy in Queens was keeping thirty snakes in a closet. One of the cops said that having that many snakes together was not a good situation for the snakes, or anybody else.

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/elem...ought-down-a-new-york-reptile-trafficker

“The snakes had been in the wild their whole life,” Montuori told me. “And then, all of a sudden, they were in this closet in Queens. It’s not going to go well, you know?””

Last edited by LarryK; 11/06/19 11:45 PM.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
It is illegal to have monkeys as pets in New York City.

Too bad they must have passed a law. Did they grandfather in all the previous pets or did people have to move with their pets, elsewhere, I wonder? Do you recall when NYC passed that law? It must have been after 1993.

[Linked Image]

Is NYC still monkey-friendly? Many years ago in Manhattan, my ex-wife came within a split hair of adopting a Capuchin (monkey that is, not a monk!) Thankfully, she was ultimately put off by the fact that they can not be potty trained... ever.

Heehee, he reminds me of this little guy who greets us every morning when we stay at our cottage in Western Uganda. He will wake us up in the morning by knocking on our window, and will never venture more that just a few yards away from our terrace throughout the day. Cute as can be, but yup... no way he'd ever become potty trained!! Still, there's been times that I wish I could just stick him in my suitcase and sneak him home to Canada!

[Linked Image]

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

- Casio (Casiotone) CT-S300 - 2020
- Casio (Privia) PX-870BK - 2019
- Casio (Casiotone) CT-680 - 1990
- Yamaha (Portatone) PS-25 - 1983
- Yamaha (Portasound) PS-2 - 1980
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
It is illegal to have monkeys as pets in New York City.

Too bad they must have passed a law. Did they grandfather in all the previous pets or did people have to move with their pets, elsewhere, I wonder? Do you recall when NYC passed that law? It must have been after 1993.

There is an exception if you’re paralyzed and the monkey has been trained to assist you, but you have to get a permit and register the monkey with the city:

https://onbites.com/it-is-legal-to-own-a-monkey-in-nyc-for-domestic-help/

I don’t know the history of the various laws, sorry. New Yorkers are crazy and I wouldn’t put it past them to own just about any exotic animal but people usually don’t know what they’re getting into when they get a wild animal as a pet. Yeah, you can’t potty train a monkey and they can throw it at you.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/28/new-york-city-is-crawling-with-illegal-exotic-pets/

I was a volunteer beekeeper/zookeeper at the National Zoo in Washington, DC for a few years. Best job ever. I got to work in the Invertebrate House where I fed the octopus, sea anemones, collected leaves for the leaf cutter ants, etc. It was fun to hang out with zookeepers, whose main job is dealing with food and poop. They had a Komodo dragon they had nicknamed sh*thead, because Komodos hunt by biting whatever walks by and wait until the animal dies of the infection they contract from their bacteria-laden saliva. Anyway, I saw the amount of effort it takes to care for wild animals, I’m not signing up for that at home.

This article on how parrots and other wild birds have PTSD, because they’ve been ripped from their flocks, and can recognize PTSD in humans, reshaped my thinking of what we do to birds when we keep them as pets:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/31/magazine/what-does-a-parrot-know-about-ptsd.html

Cats are viscious hunters and kill billions of birds. I mean feral cats, of course.

It’s sad that humans can’t leave wild animals alone.

Ok, we domesticated the wolf to get the dog, and dogs have been a great help to us, but I don’t think we should try to domesticate all wild animals.

Last edited by LarryK; 11/07/19 05:25 AM.
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by cmb13
Originally Posted by KevinM

Wow - what an opportunity for analysis!

Is that an analysis of why I have these oddball thoughts or an analysis of the human-cat versus the human-dog relationship. Or perhaps both.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
This article on how parrots and other wild birds have PTSD, because they’ve been ripped from their flocks, and can recognize PTSD in humans, reshaped my thinking of what we do to birds when we keep them as pets:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/31/magazine/what-does-a-parrot-know-about-ptsd.html

African Grey parrots will pluck themselves until they look like a plucked chicken when stressed by new people (not owners). My plucked chicken loved to imitate the sounds of a telephone recording and would repeat voicemail recordings. Worst was when it would learn a curse word. You can't get plucked chickens to stop cursing once they start! Mine knew a bunch of really awful Russian curse words and would sometimes combine them for greater effect! 😳

And just because I have a soft spot for parrots:

[Linked Image]

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

African Grey parrots will pluck themselves until they look like a plucked chicken when stressed by new people (not owners). My plucked chicken loved to imitate the sounds of a telephone recording and would repeat voicemail recordings. Worst was when it would learn a curse word. You can't get plucked chickens to stop cursing once they start! Mine knew a bunch of really awful Russian curse words and would sometimes combine them for greater effect! 😳

And just because I have a soft spot for parrots:

After reading that article, I came away feeling incredibly sad that we remove birds from their flocks. Birds can mimic humans because they form intense bonds with the other birds in their flock and can imitate their calls.

There is evidence that bird dander causes respiratory illnesses in humans. My cousin, a life long bird keeper, has lung cancer. Of course, I don’t know if bird dander is the cause but I do wonder if it contributed to her illness.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Birds can mimic humans because they form intense bonds with the other birds in their flock and can imitate their calls.

Parrots don't like imitating other parrots though. Take a parrot to a parrot gathering and rather than imitate each other, they will be busy imitating the other noises around them. It's funny to see a parrot barking like a dog to another parrot.

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission