2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KevinM

I am normally the sort of person who is concerned about privacy and people being able to listen in to what is written in confidence. But in a forum such as this I find it pointless. Almost everything is publicly available.

I think we all understand that; that's it's attraction for a lot of folk who're interested in stuff surrounding the piano, from initial cost to possible injuries.
We're all polite, mild mannered ladies and gentlemen here. Wouldn't dream of starting a verbal war . . . . maybe we should have one day a year (month, week) when we can let fly . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Originally Posted by Sam S

Sure - at least, I have done it at least once that I remember. The recitals are a snapshot of where you are in your musical journey, so showing us how you have improved is appropriate.

Sam

I better stop now. I have problems with the word "improve" . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws

Sure - at least, I have done it at least once that I remember. The recitals are a snapshot of where you are in your musical journey, so showing us how you have improved is appropriate.

Sam

I better stop now. I have problems with the word "improve" . . . .

We're probably about the same age - maybe I should change that to "survive"!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
24 submissions so far, everything from Bach to Yiruma, improvs and originals, Joplin and Chinese movie themes. And the ubiquitous Einaudi. Don't be late, deadline is Nov 1, 5AM Eastern US time.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Don't be late, deadline is Nov 1, 5AM Eastern US time.

These are tough odds ...

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
24 submissions so far, everything from Bach to Yiruma, improvs and originals, Joplin and Chinese movie themes. And the ubiquitous Einaudi. Don't be late, deadline is Nov 1, 5AM Eastern US time.

Sam

Chinese movie theme? I'm dying to know if it's the one I want to work on. But we can't see what's submitted until the 15th, right?

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jytte

Sam

Chinese movie theme? I'm dying to know if it's the one I want to work on. But we can't see what's submitted until the 15th, right?

You can see all the submissions at recitals.pianoworld.com.

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh, the same place I would go if submitting. Found it. Thanks Sam.

I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Ooh, I see that someone has offered Piazzolla's "Invierno"! Can't wait to hear it. I'm trying to get a clean recording of my piece before the deadline next week. It might be a Granados waltz.

Estonia 168 (she sings!), Kawaii Es-110 for late-night practice.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
Don't be late, deadline is Nov 1, 5AM Eastern US time.

These are tough odds ...

You guys are supposed to keep me straight!

The deadline is Nov 15th, 5AM Eastern US time.

Sorry about that...

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
5 days left!

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
I decided to bite the bullet and submit my first ever Rachmaninoff piece after all! It is the best it is as of *right now*, given I spent the last 4 months of blood,sweat and tears working on it...Looking forward to hearing the great pieces I see on the list!

~~~~~~~
My Practice/Progress YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wanted to ask...
I recorded and submitted a piece as a "return to piano piece" for me ,because I haven't practiced well or consistently in a year.
"Chopin's No. 20 in C Minor", which is quite morose, unless you think of it as a prelude to a Barry Manilow tune.
After I learned the piece, I 'm now practicing a piece I've really always wanted to play but never finished, "Claire de Lune", but it will be quite sometime before I could submit it...and I am eager to join the quarterlies
I'm wondering if the "return" Chopin piece is too much drama and maybe not played well enough for a piece for a return to the quarterlies.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by piano_primo_1

I'm wondering if the "return" Chopin piece is too much drama and maybe not played well enough for a piece for a return to the quarterlies.

My advice is not to wait until you think you are good enough. You may never think you are ready and will miss participating! Use the recitals as a learning tool. It's only a snapshot of where you are in your piano journey. In 56 quarterly recitals people have submitted pieces of all levels, all genres, all stages of the learning process.

Looking forward to listening to your Chopin!

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K

My advice is not to wait until you think you are good enough. You may never think you are ready and will miss participating! Use the recitals as a learning tool. It's only a snapshot of where you are in your piano journey. In 56 quarterly recitals people have submitted pieces of all levels, all genres, all stages of the learning process.

Sam

My entry for this recital is very much along the lines of a snapshot of where I am at right now. I am unhappy about how the piece sounds, and it very much captures my limitations.

I agree with Sam’s advise. I also want others to do the same as me so I don’t feel out of place.

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Recital clock: tick tick tick.....

Estonia 168 (she sings!), Kawaii Es-110 for late-night practice.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KevinM

Sam

My entry for this recital is very much along the lines of a snapshot of where I am at right now. I am unhappy about how the piece sounds, and it very much captures my limitations.

I agree with Sam’s advise. I also want others to do the same as me so I don’t feel out of place.

I wanted to participate also with a 'snapshot' that surely wouldn't have been much, but as I'm unable to play right now, I've set my sights on the January recital instead, hoping I'll be back at it long before then. To me it is a 'goal', something to motivate me to get to playing, and get a piece to whatever level I can, hopefully somewhat 'listenable'. I'm always hoping I won't be the only beginner. It can be pretty intimidating with all these good players frown

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
After a few months away from home during the summer, I was out of practice and decided to submit something not particularly difficult to put together and not technical like some advanced Classical pieces. During my break, the only piece I practiced on a public piano on was the movements out of the Handel suite that I submitted already for the previous recital.

Sometimes I feel that I would be submitting a piece that I worked on before and know the piece well-enough instead of something completely new and has to be worked on from scratch.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Jytte

I wanted to participate also with a 'snapshot' that surely wouldn't have been much, but as I'm unable to play right now, I've set my sights on the January recital instead, hoping I'll be back at it long before then. To me it is a 'goal', something to motivate me to get to playing, and get a piece to whatever level I can, hopefully somewhat 'listenable'. I'm always hoping I won't be the only beginner. It can be pretty intimidating with all these good players frown

A simple piece played with musicality can sound beautiful. There are examples of those in the recordings from previous recitals. I've aimed too high and I think I need to aim for slightly less complexity in the future so I have something left to add musicality after I've got the notes and timing right.

My submission for this recital, I play all the right notes, at a decent tempo, but the musicality is lacking. I don't have enough experience to have spare brain capacity to go beyond what I've done.

Last edited by KevinM; 11/12/19 07:14 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by piano_primo_1

Looking forward to listening to your Chopin!

Sam

Thanks Sam, and all....
this was super good advice, even more so because it gave me confidence in other areas of my life where it's much needed.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission