2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, Dfrankjazz, danno858, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
SK, you liked this piano very much, and it played very well in your early videos.
So, it should be possible to make it play like this again!
The only production pianos I know of that have not had reports of "break in" problems from time to time are the better Japan-built Yamaha and Kawai pianos, and that may be because I haven't heard of those Yamaha or Kawai problems.
You have videos to show the technician how the piano played and how you want it to play again. You should get your piano back the way you liked it.
Risk enough hope to smile a little!

Ed Sutton, RPT
Just an old retired piano tuner!
Durham NC USA
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
My guess from a distance is tight jack pinning and/or jack misalignment rubbing against rep lever. Stronger inclination toward tight center pins in the bushings. If so, only a matter of time before spreading to others, and first repair attempt would be CPL and see if it resolves it. If not, then re-pinning should do it. Keep us posted.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Sounds about right! I don't doubt this problem will spread. And what I find very interesting, is that for the first time since buying the piano in 2015, did I decide just now in the present, to do double forte repetition checks..I don't tackle the big repertoire so it proved to me that if I had been playing Warhorse Liszt, Rach, et al for years that these repetition issues would have been front and center early in the game. I first discovered the problem playing a soft Chopin trill.. I was demonstrating for student and the F note died, and was very weak, I was getting glitched.. that's when I put more weight into the key and did the repetitions at a bigger level. Bingo! first fleshed out issue. .. leading to my detective work all over the piano. When I try a piano for a student I usually do repetitions on every note to test action. I did not do this with the Baldwin in 2015--instead I played pp to ppp in chromatics to test regulation.. Now I will know what to do next time.

Last edited by shirlkirsten; 11/02/19 03:59 PM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
I'm saying a few prayers! Thanks, Ed.

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Interesting observation when I recorded a different view of one of my Baldwin's sluggish notes.(Middle C) There are now more affected notes growing by the day. Question: Why does a hammer two notes away bob up and down when I am only testing one note for repetitions. https://youtu.be/8CvAOLplKlE Does this give a clue to the diagnosis?
I have been educating myself today in advance of the tech coming on Friday. Watched two excellent you tube vids on sluggish action, and re-pinning. These are uploaded by a tech, last name Howard-- sounds Canadian.

Last edited by shirlkirsten; 11/04/19 02:00 AM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
The E hammer a skip above Middle C, definitely bobs up and down when I do repetitions on Middle C.. I just examined it without recording now and I was right..another hammer is activated when one is tested. Doesn't seem right in the way a piano should work.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Have checked behind the fall board that nothing has dropped down there?

Chris Leslie
Piano technician, ARPT
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
too many notes have repetition problems across all registers of keyboard... so not likely anything fell in.

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
We are no where near the wildfires and I monitor humidity levels in this room. stable at 47%--never over 50%

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I believe you said above that the piano is still under warranty and that the dealer is sending you a technician to fix the problem. As you have seen in this discussion, there are multiple possibilities for your repetition problem (most having to do with adjustments to the jack). No one can diagnose the problem sight unseen...just make educated guesses.

I'm sure the problem is solvable. Please let us know what the technician discovers and what his/her solution turns out to be.

August Förster 215
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission