2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
schugh Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello, my kids have reached a level in their lessons that they need a real piano.
We only have room for an upright. The only two pianos that I have found so far that are in our budget and seem to be good pianos are from Yamaha and Kohler & Campbell. The Yamaha is the C109 (Canadian model #). The Kohler is the KC-142.

A dealer I went to today opened up and showed me all the parts of the KC-142 and explained all the parts of the piano and it all came out sounding good to me. The piano also sounded fine to my ears. I last saw the Yamaha at another dealer a few months ago and it also sounded fine.

The K&C is cheaper.

I guess my real concern is, at this level in terms of workmanship and quality should the Yamaha by default be a better piano, simply because it's a Yamaha? I don't have detailed specs on the Yamaha (they are not on their Canadian web site). But the K&C appears to have all good parts according to it's price range and from what I have read on this web site.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

-- Sanjay

-- Sanjay
P
PSS Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I would definately go with the Yamaha if you could afford it. K&C is a good piano, but I believe the Yamaha to be a better piano. Keep in mind this is only my oppinion. You will find that as many members here you will find a difference in oppinions. Welcome to the forum.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I know the Yamaha c110 is made in China. I wonder if the C109 is another of their Chinese offerings. We don't get their Chinese models here in the states but I know they are available in Canada. Yamaha makes their cheapest models in China (next is Indonesia, best is Japan)so I would choose carefully.

By far Yamaha has the most name recognition and likely the highest resale.

I would recommend having the kids play both (& every piano they could in your price range) as close together as possible for an accurate comparison.

I really hope someone who knows more about this model Yamaha pipes in and can give some info about it.

Have you compared the spec's for both?

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Fine's price supplement doesn't show a C109 model for Yamaha. Is it a new piano? How tall is it? The K&C is 42 inches. I had that exact same model for my first upright. I can tell you that it was solid and dependable and I never had any trouble with it. It was fine as a starter piano. However (and the shoe drops), I very soon became dissatisfied with the tone. The middle octave sounded okay, but the treble quickly started to sound tinkly, and the bass...well, let's just say inadequate. I bought the K&C 142 because it was the cheapest new piano I could find in Lexington, and it was only a bit more than what the dealers were asking for their beat-up used pianos. So I went for it. In hindsight, I should've spent more and bought a taller upright.

Assuming the Yamaha is new, and taller, I would suggest going with it simply because it has better name recognition and would be an easier sale if you decide to upgrade down the road.

S
schugh Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the feedback. The C109 is the Canadian model #. It's on their Canadian website (yamaha.ca).
It's 109 CM tall. Apparently the dealer now has the C109B which has posts in the back and the earlier version did not.

Anyway we have pretty well decided to go with the Yamaha C113T. It's 113 CM tall and sounds better (richer), I guess because of the longer strings and better bass etc.

Both of these models are made in Indonesia and are part of the Yamaha Debut series.

I am sure the K&C is also a good piano, but I think we would have ended up always second guessing ourselves with it as opposed to having peace of mind with the Yamaha. Sure it's more money, but I guess there are more important things in life then money. :-)

-- Sanjay

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission