2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
O
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Obviously you're much younger than me since the first PC that I owned had 48KB of Ram, was 1MHz, had no HD, and no VGA graphics - it was an Apple II

Gosh - reminds me of my uncle’s computer. I was a TINY wee boy and I remember watching him use it. He let me type a few thing onto the keyboard a few times... so dad got us an Acorn Electron.

I reckon my car key fob is probably more powerful than that haha!

Basic
>

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Oooh, war stories! No one has mentioned punching cards by hand for their Jacquard looms yet laugh

I used to get in to the "remember when" stories, and though I still have fond memories, I've decided I'm more thrilled by the fact that the phone in my pocket is more powerful than 95% of computers I've used over the years. For pities sake, the L1 cache is 32x than the total memory in my first home computer!

Last edited by Chrispy; 11/01/19 07:06 PM.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
F
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
F
[Linked Image]

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
When I started in IBM in 1966 I fixed key punches, card sorters, collator, reproducers etc. My first personal computer was an IBM pc1 with. 256k ram, green monitor (no color) 5.25 floppy drive, no hard drive and 80cps matrix printer . It was about $5,000. I still have the invoice. That was with an employee discount.

Times have changed indeed.

However, I still have my Yamaha G7 grand piano. Fortunately a few thing stick around.

Last edited by Roger Ransom; 11/02/19 05:40 AM.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Roger Ransom
My first personal computer was an IBM pc1 with. 256k ram

Back in my Apple II days, I wouldn't even dreamed of 256K of RAM. That is so much it would have seemed decadent! I remember working on a way (through memory overlays) to get an extra 16K to overlay high memory on the 6502 processor - an 8 bit processor, which back then I could write machine code for and type into the computer without writing it doesn't. That was ok since Apple never gave us an editor! 🤣

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Originally Posted by TheophilusCarter
I once had a cassette drive for my Commodore Vic 20 ...

...and Sinclair ZX.

There was another Sinclair model with a really strange mini tape?

Sinclair QL. I had one, and the mini tapes were indeed quite strange. It all worked OK (except for the occasional hiccup) but the tape inside those little boxes must have been pretty narrow and I suspect that long-term robustness would have been a problem. I can't recall what happened to mine - probably the novelty wore off...

Last edited by petebfrance; 11/02/19 07:43 AM.

regards
Pete
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
My earliest was an Atari ST with 1 meg of ram with built-in 3 and a half drive and midi ports. That was around 1985. I probably got nearly two decades out of that machine.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon
My earliest was an Atari ST with 1 meg of ram with built-in 3 and a half drive and midi ports. That was around 1985. I probably got nearly two decades out of that machine.

You're kidding! You used an 8MHz machine until the 2000's? Impressive! No one need worry about you and G.A.S. 👍

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I started my computing 'career' on an ICL (remember them anybody?) 1904A mainframe with, if I remember correctly, a massive 64k of memory.

At one stage had to write a routine for reading non-standard tapes - fun stuff like finding the 'tape mark' (I think it was called), reading the header and so on, controlling how it was read etc. It was written in PLAN, an assembler language, the ICL1904A used 24bit words, not 32, and the words were split into 6 bit characters. Great stuff!
Oh, and punched cards, paper tape - real class. There was a 'pool of key-punch' operators to 'type' stuff onto punched cards and of course we had our own hand-operated card-punch....

We watched 'The Billion Dollar Brain' again recently - that brought back memories!

Last edited by petebfrance; 11/02/19 10:56 AM.

regards
Pete
5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
My childhood self would have been very disappointed to find out that Space:1999 lied to me.

It seems I'm not the only one...

5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
This is what I ended up using in 1999 instead...

[Linked Image]

Not nearly as impressive to my childhood self.

Mine was in Inspiron, but the case looked similar.

Last edited by johnstaf; 11/02/19 11:40 AM.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf
This is what I ended up using in 1999 instead...

[Linked Image]

Not nearly as impressive to my childhood self.

Mine was in Inspiron, but the case looked similar.

My childhood self was not so disappointed that 1984 turned out to be an OK year, despite anything Apple had to say about it...

[Linked Image]

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
In a minute somebody is going to mention Homer Simpson's 8 Track Player...

DOH!

I will have the last laugh though. That box of Beta-Max Video Tapes I've got in the attic? They'll be worth a fortune one day... just wait and see!

(BTW, don't mention "vinyl")

Last edited by slipperykeys; 11/02/19 04:38 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I used IBM Punch Cards in school at Penn State. These are a form of storage (memory).

Cool history of these punch cards... the idea/design came from the year 1801 where France Joseph Marie Jacquard (I dated his sister) designed a loom where weaving patterns were controlled by wooden blocks (rectangles) punched with holes. I actually saw one of these old looms, still in use in India weaving silk.

I also ate dirt sandwiches and walked to school, barefeet, uphill both ways.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

You can see the cards drapped over the top of the loom... they are all attached in a long "rope" of flat cards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Marie_Jacquard
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/computinghistory/hollerith.html Hollerith adapted these cards for computing.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 11/03/19 06:09 PM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
We only **dreamed** of eating dirt!
Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I also ate dirt sandwiches ...

How we wished for a school!
Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
... and walked to school, barefeet, uphill both ways.

F
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
F
While I've seen punch cards I've never actually used them. 8" and 5.25" floppies and tape was the point where I came in.

I've always thought that a punch card like design would be cool for a notepad of some kind, though. One of those "Memorandum from Joe Blow" type of printed notes. (Some folks here have a "Chopin Liszt" notepad, as an example.) But I've never seen one or managed to come up with a sufficiently clever design that incorporates a punch card that would be worth having printed.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My aunt worked for GM at the Lordstown plant (now closed) in data processing. She used to make origami sculptures from the used cards. Christmas trees and such. She was also famous in our family for making doll furniture from her cartons of Marlboro cigarettes. She is dead now.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
When I was at my first Air force Assignment in Utah, I had to program a radar jamming pod using switches. Later they camp up with a tape with holes punched in it. And they then also installed an HP computer with 64k of memory I think it was a Z80 processor, it used a cassette tape and two 5 1/2 inch floppy drives. This computer would read the measurements taken by test equipment and tell the technician to adjust a resistor up, down or okay. The problem with the computer system was it couldn't handle a noisy value that jumped up or down. Where as the engineers that designed the system stated that if the signal was within a specified range it was good to go. So the test station was basically junk since it couldn't pass any equipment. It took almost 3 years before they figured out a solution.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
J
J
My first digital camera (Mavica FD91) used a floppy. Cutting edge!!

OP Offline

My first word processor ...

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission