2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
51 members (accordeur, AndyP, David B, 1957, Bruce In Philly, 36251, computron, 14 invisible), 419 guests, and 383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
having trouble please help!
#2907568 11/01/19 10:43 PM
D
OP Offline
D
hiya,

im a hobby pianist who just likes to play, but having a problem at the moment.
recently where i work (retirement home) got hold of a decent piano actually,

but nearly every time i go and play the staff in that area, always wants me to stop, she even admits she just doesnt like it, no matter what i play.
no one else in the home is capable of playing to any kind of fairly good level.

im playing just collection of well known classics like beethoven moonlight 1st, brahms intermezzi, a few chopin preludes, schumann kinderzenen selections. schubert. whats not to like?
the staff just arent interested, anything i can do?

kind of dissapointing because i want to brighten the place up with music

Daoc2009
Re: having trouble please help!
daoc2009 #2907574 11/01/19 10:54 PM
L
L
And what about the residents? Have they complained or have they enjoyed it?

It would appear that the individual in question enjoys throwing their weight around, regardless of what the residents might like.

Try a little informal survey of said residents, and see what their opinions are. Surely they should have some say in what they listen to. If favorable, present them to the party pooper.

And another thing: where is management in all this?

Last edited by leel; 11/01/19 10:55 PM. Reason: additional thought
daoc2009 #2907576 11/01/19 10:55 PM
Maybe they are not liking how you play those pieces?

~~~~~~~
My Practice/Progress YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
daoc2009 #2907595 11/02/19 01:41 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Why don’t you change the music you play? It is really not necessary to brighten lives with classical: play a little Cole Porter, Joplin, Gershwin, Beatles, great American Standards, Broadway show tunes. . More of the residents will enjoy it as well; while all of them will also not like classical, either, they will not necessarily complain, as they see any staff as in a position of authority.

We love Beethoven, Brahms and Chopin...... but that is not universal. Play to your audience.

daoc2009 #2907606 11/02/19 02:53 AM
D
OP Offline
D
thanks for the suggestions, maybe some of my selections are considered too high brow for a residential home, will have to learn some different stuff perhaps too, thanks guys.
but how can people just sort of dismiss such beauties as brahms 117 no 2 or rachmaninoff?

oh yeah, nearly all the staff there have only heard of mozart and some of them think beethoven is that dog from the film, not the composer...

i guess most people have no music education like at all, though, i try to explain a bit but its one of those things if you dont play the piano, it just goes over them.

the residents in the main have enjoyed it though to be honest.

its just that when ive been to concerts, alot of people of 70+ go and hear pieces by Brahms and Schumann,
typically paitents in care homes dont get the chance to see actual concert repertoire so i am providing that chance i was thinking.

Daoc2009
daoc2009 #2907608 11/02/19 02:56 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Grammar is a problem up there. grin

Really!

Nobody mentioned it yet, but you weren't clear about whether it's 1 person who objected, or multiple. At first it seems like the latter, but then you say "she," which sounds like just 1 person.

What's the story about that?
If it's just one person, screw that -- it doesn't matter. Maybe find out how other people are reacting. If many or most of the people are fine with what you're doing, then of course it's fine.

If it's multiple people, then maybe try to find out more. Is it the kinds of pieces you play? Maybe it's that they want music that's more upbeat or rhythmic, which I can well imagine. BTW that wouldn't necessarily be a thing of classical vs. non-classical.

One of the posts said that maybe it's how you play, not what you're playing. Of course that's a delicate issue, and if that's what it is, they might not say it directly and of course you wouldn't be thrilled to hear it, but really, it's best for us to be ready for the possibility that it's that, and to be ready to read between the lines for it. It wouldn't mean you don't play well, maybe just that your kind of playing isn't for that setting. But I'm thinking more likely it's the kind of repertoire.

Addendum: Sometimes it's just or mainly that they feel they've heard the same kind of thing too much. I remember, years ago when my I was with my family at a hotel for the summer, there was a waiter or something who happened to be a terrific flutist -- I mean really excellent. The hotel had sort of talent show once a week, and the first couple of times, this guy played a few minutes of solo flute stuff at them. The third time, when he was announced, a bunch of us kids (none of the adults, I don't think) went "Awwwwwwww!" The emcee gave us a shocked look and asked, don't we think he's good? One kid, speaking accurately for the group, said "Yeah, but we've heard him so many times." (Even though it was different pieces each time.) It looked like the flute guy's feelings were hurt, which would have been understandable, and he didn't play at any more of those shows. I felt bad for him, but I have to admit, I didn't mind that he didn't play again.

daoc2009 #2907611 11/02/19 03:07 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
You are posting this on a classical piano forum, but even here, you will find that tastes in composers vary.... some don’t like Chopin, some don’t like Brahms or Beethoven. None of us should expect what we consider to be beautiful to be a universal opinion. It is not a matter of not being ‘high brow’ enough. You are also assuming that many of the residents attended classical concerts. I find this doubtful.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
daoc2009 #2907637 11/02/19 05:50 AM
B
B
Originally Posted by daoc2009

but nearly every time i go and play the staff in that area, always wants me to stop, she even admits she just doesnt like it, no matter what i play.
no one else in the home is capable of playing to any kind of fairly good level.

im playing just collection of well known classics like beethoven moonlight 1st, brahms intermezzi, a few chopin preludes, schumann kinderzenen selections. schubert. whats not to like?
the staff just arent interested, anything i can do?

kind of dissapointing because i want to brighten the place up with music

To expect staff working in a residential home in the UK to appreciate classical music is a bit of a stretch. (BTW, many years ago, when a young nurse - obviously not very well educated - heard a Chopin mazurka on the radio when I tuned it to Radio 3, she said: "Turn it off - that's concentration camp music!" The elderly Polish patient, for whose benefit I turned the radio on, said: "Please leave it on - it's the music of my homeland, and the Nazis detested it." She was Jewish and a Holocaust survivor, and had the tattoo on her arm.)

The piano is for the benefit of the residents, not the staff, so speak to the former - and the manager. Incidentally, play only tuneful pieces and don't play loudly.......

Someone mentioned the Great American Songbook, Cole Porter and the like - I'd stay clear of that stuff: it's not known, nor particularly liked in the UK (nor jazz in general).

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
bennevis #2907653 11/02/19 07:07 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
\To expect staff working in a residential home in the UK to appreciate classical music is a bit of a stretch. (BTW, many years ago, when a young nurse - obviously not very well educated - heard a Chopin mazurka on the radio when I tuned it to Radio 3, she said: "Turn it off - that's concentration camp music!" The elderly Polish patient, for whose benefit I turned the radio on, said: "Please leave it on - it's the music of my homeland, and the Nazis detested it." She was Jewish and a Holocaust survivor, and had the tattoo on her arm.)

The piano is for the benefit of the residents, not the staff, so speak to the former - and the manager. Incidentally, play only tuneful pieces and don't play loudly.......

Someone mentioned the Great American Songbook, Cole Porter and the like - I'd stay clear of that stuff: it's not known, nor particularly liked in the UK (nor jazz in general).

There is a slight possibility that the staff member talked to some of the residents and is asking on behalf of them without pointing them out. But I suspect it's just her.

Some people just don't like classical. I almost never play piano with others around and a few weeks ago, my housekeeper was cleaning and I said to myself, "what the heck" and played a few things on the piano. About 10 mins went by and when it was clear to her, I was not going to stop on my own, my housekeeper approached me in my own home and asked if I would stop because I was giving her a headache! 🤭

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
daoc2009 #2907679 11/02/19 09:42 AM
J
J
I doubt it was your playing that they wanted you to stop. The staff most likely don't want to stir up the folks sadly to keep the peace.
I tuned a piano once in a nursing home. They lined up seats and wanted a concert. I played what I could from memory and staff where happy. Pretty dreary places. Music heals.

daoc2009 #2907713 11/02/19 11:18 AM
Many people don't get or like classical music. I once took a very intelligent friend to a concert with the NY Philharmonic playing Beethoven's Triple Concerto and one of the Beethoven PC. He said the music was "cacophonous".

pianoloverus #2907715 11/02/19 11:24 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Many people don't get or like classical music. I once took a very intelligent friend to a concert with the NY Philharmonic playing Beethoven's Triple Concerto and one of the Beethoven PC. He said the music was "cacophonous".

There are even those, like my wife, who can go to classical concerts and listen to classical in certain contexts, but who can't do it when they are relaxing or doing certain activities (such as reading). For example, if I am in the car with my wife and I switch the radio station to classical, she will complain mightily.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Tyrone Slothrop #2907719 11/02/19 11:36 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
There are even those, like my wife, who can go to classical concerts and listen to classical in certain contexts, but who can't do it when they are relaxing or doing certain activities (such as reading). For example, if I am in the car with my wife and I switch the radio station to classical, she will complain mightily.

I can enjoy jazz when I am in a pub during the evening, but that is the only time and place where that is possible. smile

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
daoc2009 #2907723 11/02/19 11:40 AM
B
B
I've played classical music in all sorts of places - from airport departure lounges (and linking corridors) and cruise ships to hotel lobbies and restaurants and shopping malls and churches and stately homes and train/underground stations and 'street pianos' to......yes, hospitals and residential & nursing homes.

People who aren't interested just walk on by, but there are always some who stop and listen for a while before moving on, and others who stay......and even sometimes ask if I could play a specific piece. But nobody has ever asked me to stop.

Maybe I'm just lucky whistle, but I do take account of where I am when deciding what to play, and how long to play. No noisy/dissonant Ginastera or Prokofiev in hospitals and homes, for instance. But I never dumb down and play easy-listening rubbish or pop.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Tyrone Slothrop #2907747 11/02/19 01:04 PM
A
A
Originally Posted by bennevis
\To expect staff working in a residential home in the UK to appreciate classical music is a bit of a stretch. (BTW, many years ago, when a young nurse - obviously not very well educated - heard a Chopin mazurka on the radio when I tuned it to Radio 3, she said: "Turn it off - that's concentration camp music!" The elderly Polish patient, for whose benefit I turned the radio on, said: "Please leave it on - it's the music of my homeland, and the Nazis detested it." She was Jewish and a Holocaust survivor, and had the tattoo on her arm.)

There is a slight possibility that the staff member talked to some of the residents and is asking on behalf of them without pointing them out. But I suspect it's just her.

Some people just don't like classical. I almost never play piano with others around and a few weeks ago, my housekeeper was cleaning and I said to myself, "what the heck" and played a few things on the piano. About 10 mins went by and when it was clear to her, I was not going to stop on my own, my housekeeper approached me in my own home and asked if I would stop because I was giving her a headache! 🤭

Now that is ridiculous. I'm afraid I'd be tempted to remind them how many other service options exist.

Besides---The average decibel rating for an acoustic piano isn't even that high unless you're absolutely pounding away. I don't think you are as you seem very engaged with the piano from what I have read.

I'll offer that I have found that (sadly) that classical just doesn't resonate with the masses---even the college educated (American-U.S.A.) masses.

If I play Bohemian Rhapsody ears perk up. Anything classical---no animus----just utter disinterest.

FWIW this equally applies to streaming music as well.

daoc2009 #2907794 11/02/19 03:02 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I think everyone may have the wrong take on this. The staff could simply not want to hear ANY music. Maybe they are busy charting or administrating? Also, the facility may need put the piano in some other area.

Many people now are so used to "private listening" with ear buds to their own music collection on a smartphone that they don't know how to be musically polite and "open-eared," so to speak.

Plain ol' ignorance, rudeness, and reverse snobism are other things entirely. laugh

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
daoc2009 #2907805 11/02/19 03:41 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I have played many times in retirement homes. It is always a fun gig, and if you play the right music, usually very appreciated by staff and residents alike. But I was always in a situation where the administration hired me to play. So perhaps music is just not welcome when you are there.

Also, is the piano in tune? That could be the problem.

And, do other people like your playing? Do you have anyone (teacher, fellow musician) who can give you feedback?

In any case, I found that Classical, even light Classical, such as a Clementi Sonata, always gets a "meh" response. No one ever told me to stop, but I can judge an audience's reaction pretty well.

What people always seem to like:

* Old fashioned Hymns...(Amazing Grace, In the Garden, What a friend we have in Jesus) etc. (Don't play "I'll Fly Away")

* Selected light Classic Rock, such as Beatles (Hey Jude, "Imagine" yes I know its not Beatles, but many people think it is).

What people (staff and residents) always seem to love:

* Authenic old-school Blues (played somewhat at least correctly) and early roots music that is Blues based such as Fats Domino (Blueberry Hill)

Piano teacher.
daoc2009 #2907809 11/02/19 03:56 PM
I
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
I
It's either your playing that they dislike or your repertoire. To test it out I'd recommend you to choose and play some very unobtrusive, nice and happy piece (maybe something from Debussy) and see the reaction.

daoc2009 #2907823 11/02/19 04:38 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I remember a documentary about the Cliburn Competition some years back. A bunch of competitors had bought cowboy hats and boots and went to a local bar where there was a spinet piano. They were invited to play, and a Russian guy launched into "The Yellow Rose of Texas." The reaction, if unsaid, seemed to indicate, "Oh, we hear that tired old song all the time, play something classical and impressive!" laugh

This was the early 90s and culture has slipped a bit since then. laugh

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Tyrone Slothrop #2907858 11/02/19 07:13 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

I'm a bit like that. Music demands my full attention, especially if it's music that I love. I was having dinner at a friend's house, and he put on a Mozart piano concerto. I couldn't stand it being background music. I asked him to put on something else. He's a good friend, and we respect each other's quirks, so he didn't mind. grin

If it's something like an opera that I don't know, it's fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Save my sanity: CLP-785 vs CA-99 vs N1X vs ...
by tofupiano - 10/31/20 06:01 PM
Late '90s Yamaha U1 MSRP/SMP?
by re22 - 10/31/20 06:01 PM
Piano tariffs in the US?
by Sweelinck - 10/31/20 05:11 PM
Kawai Novus NV5 'loud note' problem
by John Dean - 10/31/20 03:54 PM
Beethoven and Bechstein
by OE1FEU - 10/31/20 03:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,515
Posts3,019,259
Members99,090
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission