2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
67 registered members (Blague, clothearednincompo, beginer, barbaram, CyberGene, Darkwasp, 20 invisible), 402 guests, and 494 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Steingraeber B192 #2906027 10/29/19 12:26 PM
T
The Hound Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Anyone own/is intimately familiar with this bad boy?

It's finally time to upgrade, and I spent a good bit of time with the B192 today, having played a bunch of similar-sized instruments over the last few years from Steinway, Bosendorfer, Bechstein and Bluthner.

They were all fine instruments, but I think I may have found the one. The sound on the Steingraeber is so colourful and rich; I felt I could lose myself in it, and that there was so much expressive potential that one could learn to harness.

It also seemed like, although I'm pushing it for size in my music room (16'2 x 13'7), it would stand less chance of ever being fatiguing than any other I've tried, even the Bosendorfers, which I've always though of as quite dark.

There were a couple of Bosendorfers in the showroom - a 214 and a 170 - which I was using to compare (mainly the former). Not like for like in size, obviously, but the best I could do. They are wonderful instruments, but again the Steingraeber sound just interested me so much more. The sound was less immediate than the Bosendorfer 214, but the power is there if you want it - you can make the bass growl and the treble sing, but even playing mid-range and mid-volume I found the sound so arresting.

Seriously thinking about a trip to Bayreuth soon.

Anyway, I'm curious to read any experiences or opinions anyone might have about these lovely pianos.

Working on:
Beethoven - Piano Sonata No. 15 in D major, Op. 28 ("Pastoral") First two movements; Piano Sonata No. 21 in C major, Op. 53 ("Waldstein") First movement
Schumann/Liszt - Widmung
-------------
Steingraeber B-192
Kawai CA97
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Steingraeber B192 [Re: The Hound] #2906032 10/29/19 12:35 PM
johnstaf Online Crying
3000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
3000 Post Club Member
They don't come any better than Steingraeber. Lucky you!

Re: Steingraeber B192 [Re: The Hound] #2906038 10/29/19 12:48 PM
I
iLaw Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Haven't played a B-192, but I played a C-212 and it was wonderful.

Larry.

Re: Steingraeber B192 [Re: The Hound] #2906044 10/29/19 01:06 PM
johnstaf Online Crying
3000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
3000 Post Club Member
I've never played one either, but they sound amazing.

Re: Steingraeber B192 [Re: The Hound] #2906053 10/29/19 01:32 PM
D
dhull100 Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
D
Why keep looking? You are fortunate, indeed.

Re: Steingraeber B192 [Re: The Hound] #2906081 10/29/19 02:25 PM
I
iLaw Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Hound,

You're only an hour or so from Hurstwood Farm. If you like Steingraeber, maybe they've got a Phoenix you'd really like.

Larry.

Re: Steingraeber B192 [Re: iLaw] #2906098 10/29/19 03:03 PM
T
The Hound Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by dhull100
Why keep looking? You are fortunate, indeed.

I don't think I am going to keep looking. I haven't enjoyed any other top make piano as much as this - and I've played on Faziolis, Steinways, Bechsteins, Bosies, Grotrians, Bluthners and a Sauter.

Also, if my country leaves the EU, as currently looks like a strong possiblity, prices might well go up on European pianos in the UK.

Originally Posted by iLaw
Hound,

You're only an hour or so from Hurstwood Farm. If you like Steingraeber, maybe they've got a Phoenix you'd really like.

Larry.

I've thought about it, but to be honest it's a more of a schlep than it may seem (the M25 is a horrendously congested motorway much of the time), and while I'm curious about the Phoenixes, I'm also skeptical from a sonic point of view.

Working on:
Beethoven - Piano Sonata No. 15 in D major, Op. 28 ("Pastoral") First two movements; Piano Sonata No. 21 in C major, Op. 53 ("Waldstein") First movement
Schumann/Liszt - Widmung
-------------
Steingraeber B-192
Kawai CA97
Re: Steingraeber B192 [Re: The Hound] #2906108 10/29/19 03:24 PM
PianoWorksATL Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Fine piano, fine company. Having played the other "bests" and this is the best personal match for you, may you enjoy it in good health for many years. That's what high-end piano buying is really about, resonating with you personally among other great choices.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Re: Steingraeber B192 [Re: The Hound] #2906114 10/29/19 03:38 PM
AaronSF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You've been looking for a while, so you know what's available among most Tier 1 pianos. If the Grotrian speaks to you, and it seems to, buy it...especially as Brexit is looking inevitable, in one form or another, which will surely drive the value of the pound down and/or result in possibly onerous tariffs. Finding an instrument that offers you unlimited potential musically is rare, indeed.

August Förster 215
Re: Steingraeber B192 [Re: AaronSF] #2906138 10/29/19 04:30 PM
J
John305 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by AaronSF
You've been looking for a while, so you know what's available among most Tier 1 pianos. If the Grotrian speaks to you, and it seems to, buy it...especially as Brexit is looking inevitable, in one form or another, which will surely drive the value of the pound down and/or result in possibly onerous tariffs. Finding an instrument that offers you unlimited potential musically is rare, indeed.

Where did you read Grotrian?

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
Re: Steingraeber B192 [Re: The Hound] #2906150 10/29/19 04:56 PM
S
Steve Chandler Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I've only played two Steingraebers in my life and they were both very fine instruments. One person (sales guy) told me he viewed a Steingraeber like a world class tenor (think Pavarotti). They definitely sing! When a piano moves you on more than one occasion (in other words play it two separate days) then it's a strong contender for "the One." Good luck!

Re: Steingraeber B192 [Re: Steve Chandler] #2906194 10/29/19 07:09 PM
T
The Hound Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
Fine piano, fine company. Having played the other "bests" and this is the best personal match for you, may you enjoy it in good health for many years. That's what high-end piano buying is really about, resonating with you personally among other great choices.

Thank you for your kind words. thumb

Originally Posted by AaronSF

Thanks, and yeah, it was the Steingraeber that really grabbed me. Not giving up hope on Brexit yet, but I'm not optimistic, either.

Originally Posted by Steve Chandler
I've only played two Steingraebers in my life and they were both very fine instruments. One person (sales guy) told me he viewed a Steingraeber like a world class tenor (think Pavarotti). They definitely sing! When a piano moves you on more than one occasion (in other words play it two separate days) then it's a strong contender for "the One." Good luck!

Yes, another visit would be prudent before swanning off to Germany. Time's not in great supply, so will have to consider how to do that.

Working on:
Schumann/Liszt - Widmung
-------------
Steingraeber B-192
Kawai CA97
Re: Steingraeber B192 [Re: The Hound] #2906236 10/29/19 09:17 PM
master88er Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The 192 is a fabulous piano, and has lineage to the Liszt Steingraeber 200. I personally purchased one myself for my use in retirement.

TOday, I played an absolutely fabulous Steingraeber 192 at Grand Piano Haus in Skokie. It is sonorous and mellow, yet brilliant and clean when dug into. It was like playing many different pianos in one dependent upon the strike. It was every bit as sweet as the Bosie nearby, but far surpassed it when power was required. ADDITIONALLY, it had the new adSilent system which was so astounding that I am having one added to my piano. It has MODELED (not sampled) sound when the silent system is engaged, AND it had a Mozart rail. If Fritz and Jeff would let me, I’d trade them mine for theirs!!!

If anyone is near Chicago (actually Skokie) you should stop by and try this splendid instrument.

Having sold this brand for many years, if you have any questions I am happy to answer them. A trip to Bayreuth, though, would answer any doubts you might have, but might end up being an expensive journey..... mine was!

Russell I. Kassman

FORMER: US Rep.for C.Bechstein - Sauter; Retired founder/owner R. KASSMAN Piano; Consultant - GUANGZHOU Pearl River Piano Co.

www.rkassman.com
russell@rkassman.com
Re: Steingraeber B192 [Re: The Hound] #2906276 10/30/19 01:47 AM
P
phacke Offline

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
500 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
500 Post Club Member
P
Visted Steingraeber Bayreuth a handful of years back. On that day, the C-212s far outshined the B-192s in the studio.

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)
Re: Steingraeber B192 [Re: phacke] #2906305 10/30/19 05:06 AM
T
The Hound Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by master88er

Having sold this brand for many years, if you have any questions I am happy to answer them. A trip to Bayreuth, though, would answer any doubts you might have, but might end up being an expensive journey..... mine was!

Hi master88er. Thank you for your comments. How would you personally generally characterise the sound, including compared to the other top makes?

How worthwhile is the Mozart rail in your view? I assume if one wanted it one would have to order one specifically.

Originally Posted by phacke
Visted Steingraeber Bayreuth a handful of years back. On that day, the C-212s far outshined the B-192s in the studio.

Not surprising that the larger piano would outshine the smaller.

Working on:
Schumann/Liszt - Widmung
-------------
Steingraeber B-192
Kawai CA97
Re: Steingraeber B192 [Re: The Hound] #2906351 10/30/19 08:13 AM
Seeker Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by The Hound
=====SNIP====
How would you personally generally characterise the sound, including compared to the other top makes?

How worthwhile is the Mozart rail in your view? I assume if one wanted it one would have to order one specifically.

You might find a thread I started to be useful reading.
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2867330/steingraeber-udo-the-instruments.html
I can't comment on the Mozart rail, because none were installed (as I recall) on any of the Steingraebers on the floor at Gaithersburg Piano Kraft.

As for suitability for you, my opinion, based on the pieces on which you are working in your signature, is that the Steingraeber might be JUST THE THING. I distinctly remember Udo Steingraeber discussing the Steingraeber "tonal aesthetique" as aimed at recreating the sound of the mid-19th Century grand as opposed to the Steinway like sound of the late 19th Century. Their aim is not a sort of homogenized uniformity among the registers of the instrument, rather a (pleasant) differentiation.

My impression of the brand was that the pianos were worth their lofty price tags, extremely well designed, extremely well made. They have a DIFFERENT sound from many others as well as a different feel (...the key dip is somewhat more shallow as I recall). If you like those things, you will love owning a Steingraeber.

My opinion.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
Re: Steingraeber B192 [Re: The Hound] #2906381 10/30/19 09:20 AM
S
SMA55 Online Content
Online Content
S
I can’t speak specifically to the B192, but I had tried both a C212 and a D232 at Grand Piano Haus in Skokie, IL 2.5 years ago, and I fell in love with both of them. I had a hard time choosing between the two, but ultimately I wound up trading in my Steinway B and buying the D232 from Fritz and Jeff there, who made me a good deal. The D232 is a spectacular instrument, garnering much praise from many pianists who’ve been to my house to try it. It has a substantial but forgiving touch, and I would say that its tonal palette is second to none in its breadth. I have to believe the B192 would be a great piano, as well. Good luck!

Re: Steingraeber B192 [Re: The Hound] #2906455 10/30/19 01:17 PM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I’ve never had the privilege of playing a Steingraeber, unfortunately, but it sounds like the B192 really “spoke to you”. You fell in love with with a top tier instrument and so if you can afford to, bring it home. I did hear they’ve agreed to delay Brexit a bit longer, so this might be your best chance to buy it. Best Wishes! Keep us posted.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Steingraeber B192 [Re: The Hound] #2906666 10/31/19 06:00 AM
T
The Hound Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Really appreciate all the comments. Steve Chandler's advice that a piano should speak to one on two separate days makes a lot of sense, so I'm going to try and head back there tomorrow and have another go on it before taking the plunge and heading over to the factory. Though all being well and assuming I feel the same tomorrow, I am going to try and go in November.

Working on:
Schumann/Liszt - Widmung
-------------
Steingraeber B-192
Kawai CA97
Re: Steingraeber B192 [Re: The Hound] #2906904 10/31/19 05:10 PM
Miguel Rey Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Stick to Steingraeber, Phoenix's that were manufactured in Poland have been riddled with defects. I know this from personal experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rate my staccato techniques please
by Nicolas J. - 02/20/20 12:42 PM
Self taught but not only
by BachToTheFuture - 02/20/20 09:06 AM
Questions about becoming a technician
by Mohrpiano - 02/20/20 07:51 AM
Is this a genuine Steinway & Sons?
by Man - 02/20/20 03:28 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,081
Posts2,927,963
Members96,050
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission