2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Forum member Tim Adrianson proposed this recital - here is what he said:

Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson
What do YOU, the participant, regard as a "rare gem", or maybe several gems, that need/s to be shared? In fact, I was considering renaming the concept "Participant's Choice" to emphasize that aspect of the Theme. With that understanding, it is not necessarily from the Classical repertoire: it could be Jazz, Folk, Pop, New Age, etc. From a more general standpoint, a "rare gem" is typically understood to be a piece short in duration, but exceptionally moving or striking for whatever reason.

Let me expand that a bit and include pieces that are rarely (or never) heard in recitals, but that deserve to be better known.

Here are the rules:

1) Only pieces that YOU think meet the “Rare Gems” criteria.
2) All skill levels are welcome (this is the ABF!).
3) Any genre, any time period.
4) Duplicate submissions are fine - we are all unique.
5) Multiple submissions are fine.

This recital is scheduled for October 2020. It will open for submissions around October 1st, and go live October 15th. If you would like to pledge to play something, look at the post after this one.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
To pledge to play something, hit the quote button of the most recent post with the list in this thread, remove the quote in brackets at the beginning and end, and write the composer, title, and your forum name of the piece you would like to play.

1) Unknown Composer - rare piece - Sam S (I will play something, I promise, but I have to find something first!)

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
To pledge to play something, hit the quote button of the most recent post with the list in this thread, remove the quote in brackets at the beginning and end, and write the composer, title, and your forum name of the piece you would like to play.

1) Unknown Composer - rare piece - Sam S (I will play something, I promise, but I have to find something first!)
2) Romance, S.169 (Liszt) - pianist685 (Constantin)

I wonder if that is what Tim calls a rare gem. The tune is beautiful, it is seldom played, Lang Lang reintroduced it to the public.

Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I was thinking of the Bach/Siloti prelude in b minor. Certainly a gem, but not that rare... Anyway, I am still looking around.

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I am really excited about this series of recitals we have coming up...I just have to resist starting to work on everything all at once! I'm going to think long and hard about this one before deciding - there's just so much to choose from, but I'm definitely participating!

3) Unknown Composer - some rare piece - Morodiene

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I did a search and found a 13 year old thread about "Hidden Gems" with some suggestions. Most of the suggestions may be gems, but they aren't really hidden, or rare. And a lot of them would take more time than I have to prepare. But there might be some ideas there:

PW Hidden Gems Thread

If you really want to search old threads, the best way is no ignore the PW search, and go straight to google.com. type in:

site:pianoworld.com search terms

You get better (and older) results. The only names I recognized from that thread - "Bruce D", and "pianoloverus".

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P

4) Song to Elitha (Oscar Peterson) - pianist685 (Constantin)

Thanks, Sam, for the link - that old thread contains a lot of suggestions, though most of the pieces mentioned are anything but rare. In comparison to those my choice of the Liszt Romance fits the concept of a "rare" gem in a perfect manner. I have added a piece by Oscar Peterson to the list which IMHO fits this concept as well, though my recording already exists and I have already presented it in the Piano Bar some time ago...

Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Digging in the past some more - they had "Unsung Heroes" recitals in the Pianist Corner about 10 years ago. It's a little difficult to sort out the confusing sequence of posts. They used something called ecital.net which seems to be defunct now? But here are some lists of pieces:

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G

4) Song to Elitha (Oscar Peterson) - pianist685 (Constantin)
4) Cyrill Scott - British Melodies no.1 and 2 - Ganddalf

I hope that the music of Cyrill Scott is rare enough. I'm even working with his Pastorale Suite, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to learn it in time. The British Melodies, however, are quite short and simple.

P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P

3) Song to Elitha (Oscar Peterson) - pianist685 (Constantin)
4) Unknown Composer - some rare piece - Morodiene
5) Cyrill Scott - British Melodies no.1 and 2 - Ganddalf
6) Intermezzo from the opera "Notre Dame" (Franz Schmidt, piano transcription by John Gribben) - pianist685 (Constantin)

As usual, I am not sure if this piece is rare enough. Just tell me if you think it does not fit in this recital and I can try to find something else.

D
D

6) Intermezzo from the opera "Notre Dame" (Franz Schmidt, piano transcription by John Gribben) - pianist685 (Constantin)
7) "The Separation" (Glinka)--dumka1

Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member

1) William Bolcom - Graceful Ghost Rag - Sam S
7) "The Separation" (Glinka)--dumka1

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T

7) "The Separation" (Glinka)--dumka
8) Leo Smit - Rondel (For a Young Girl) (1999) - Tim Adrianson
9) Richard Danielpour - Serenade (1998) - Tim Adrianson
10) Stephen Sondheim - I Remember (1966) - Tim Adrianson
11) Paul Bowles - Prelude #6 (1945) - Tim Adrianson
12) Federico Mompou - Jeunes Filles au Jardin (1921) - Tim Adrianson
13) Federico Mompou - Cancion i Danza #7 (1952) - Tim Adrianson

D
D

7) Mikhail Glinka - "The Separation" - dumka1

M
M
I still can't decide what I want to do! It may be a Poulenc something, I'm not ready to commit! >_<

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T

2) Franz Liszt - Romance, S.169 - pianist685 (Constantin)
3) Oscar Peterson - Song to Elitha - pianist685 (Constantin)
6) Franz Schmidt (piano transcription by John Gribben) - Intermezzo from the opera "Notre Dame" - pianist685 (Constantin)
14) Heitor Villa-Lobos -- The Three Maries (1941) - Tim Adrianson

M
M

4) Francis Poulenc - Les Soireés de Nazelles (not sure which of these I will do - depends on what kind of time I can devote to it) - Morodiene
6) Franz Schmidt (piano transcription by John Gribben) - Intermezzo from the opera "Notre Dame" - pianist685 (Constantin)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M

4) Francis Poulenc - Les Soireés de Nazelles (not sure which of these I will do - depends on what kind of time I can devote to it) - Morodiene
15) Amy Beach - Ballade Op. 6 - Morodiene

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member

16) Cornelius Gurlitt - No. 65 from: Die ersten Schritte des jungen Klavierspielers, opus 82, 1877 - Animisha

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
T
T
[quote=Animisha]To pledge to play something, hit the quote button of the most recent post with the list in this thread, remove the quote in brackets at the beginning and end, and write the composer, title, and your forum name of the piece you would like to play.

16) Cornelius Gurlitt - No. 65 from: Die ersten Schritte des jungen Klavierspielers, opus 82, 1877 - Animisha
17) Clementi - Piano Sonata in F-Sharp Minor, Op. 26 No. 2 - Tyger

Just a science major who loves to play the piano at his free time. I'm planning on going to a med school but I fell in love with the piano at a young age (don't judge me).
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission