2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
36 registered members (Chronicles, Animisha, David Boyce, CyberGene, Andrew_G, Boboulus, 5/1/19249, Bruce In Philly, 6 invisible), 326 guests, and 268 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Call me crazy but I'm in love with Galaxy Vintage D!! [Re: CyberGene] #2904542 10/25/19 03:44 PM
M
Morodiene Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Originally Posted by Tom Fort
It think these good-sounding and smaller old sample libraries should realize there's a new market out there waiting for them where they can get new sales - iOS. They can't compete anymore with the huge libraries, but no one wants those for an iPad or iPhone, at least for another 5 years or so. There's a mobile market out there without a lot of competition that suits the Vintage D to a T.

That’s a great idea! Vintage D on the iPad? Count me as impressed. CFX Lite on the other hand! Shut up and take my money!

Yes, I LOVE this idea!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods, and more!
Re: Call me crazy but I'm in love with Galaxy Vintage D!! [Re: Morodiene] #2904600 10/25/19 07:39 PM
T
Tom Fort Offline
T
I've said the same things in favor of an iOS version of Pianoteq for a few years now over at the Pianoteq forum.

https://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=4437
https://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=3654

Pianoteq requires only moderate processing power and does not require even the amount of storage of small sample libraries such as Vintage D. Pianoteq already runs on the ARM instruction set and is built using JUCE, which supports iOS.

I think Pianoteq just can't make a business case for it as the sales price for iOS apps is generally significantly lower than for computer apps. Seems like there are several workable possible approaches to take; I'd guess they just don't want to rock the boat with their existing users. Seems a bit shortsighted, as the size of the iOS market is orders of magnitude larger than computer users.

I'm really surprised how few truly good piano apps are out there on iOS. The first-mover advantage has so far gone to Ravenscroft (which I own), but I think the market is still pretty open. In a few years, most iPads and even iPhones will have the processing power and storage needed to run the largest, most demanding sample libraries and these smaller, lighter piano apps will be at a disadvantage again. But right now I see huge potential in the mobile market for products like Vintage D, Pianoteq, CFX Lite, etc.

Re: Call me crazy but I'm in love with Galaxy Vintage D!! [Re: Tom Fort] #2904609 10/25/19 08:31 PM
MacMacMac Offline
What leads you to believe this?
... the size of the iOS market is orders of magnitude larger than computer users.

Re: Call me crazy but I'm in love with Galaxy Vintage D!! [Re: Morodiene] #2904618 10/25/19 09:08 PM
T
Tom Fort Offline
T
Perhaps a slight exaggeration, but in a minute, I found these stats on annual iPhone sales and annual PC sales:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/276306/global-apple-iphone-sales-since-fiscal-year-2007/
https://www.statista.com/statistics/263393/global-pc-shipments-since-1st-quarter-2009-by-vendor/

They claim 200+ million iPhone sales sold per year from 2015 onward, and ca. 65 million PCs sold annually over that time period. After five years of that trend, that's roughly a billion iOS devices vs. 325 million PCs (which includes Macs).
I can't vouch for those numbers, but they illustrate the point. I believe Apple has also sold more iPads than desktops for a while as well, and doubt those numbers are included.
The Apple sales numbers also mesh with a quick reality check, in that Tim Cook said in September of 2018 that they were about to ship their 2 billionth iOS device:
https://news.yahoo.com/apple-unveils-smartwatch-nears-2-bn-devices-172752607.html

I read all the time how desktop PCs have for a long time been a stagnant or declining market, and how the mobile market is growing to the point where some large percentage of the world population will soon have a mobile device. Mobile device doesn't mean iOS, of course, but developing expensive software for Android seems a fool's game for two reasons: developing for so many different software and hardware configurations that aren't interoperable is very time consuming and requires huge development and support resources, and secondly there is so much software piracy and so many security problems on Android phones. That's why the most app revenue is by far on iOS:
https://www.businessofapps.com/data/app-revenues/
That shows iOS app store revenue about triple that of the Google Play store in 2017, although Google is growing slightly faster.

Anecodotally, I would think most expensive music software sells or would sell far better on iOS than Android: music/creative software has a long history on Mac and iOS, iOS users tend to be more affluent than Android users and more willing to pay for software, and on Android rampant piracy would surely cut into the number of customers actually buying the software.

Last edited by Tom Fort; 10/25/19 09:17 PM.
Re: Call me crazy but I'm in love with Galaxy Vintage D!! [Re: CyberGene] #2904637 10/25/19 11:13 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
The problem with the half-pedaling is much more serious. I've described it multiple times and I've created a bug request with Galaxy and the last thing I know was around the lines of "we will forward it to the guy who wrote the script, he's external" and that was the last thing I heard from them. And of course it hasn't been updated or fixed.

Perhaps if all Galaxy D owners were to send in a request for a fix, they might be motivated to fix this bug.

Sometimes, when bugs are reported more often, they get an increased 'priority' for fixing, although the 'severity' remains the same.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Call me crazy but I'm in love with Galaxy Vintage D!! [Re: Tom Fort] #2904651 10/26/19 01:25 AM
MacMacMac Offline
I wasn't thinking about total platform users. Rather I was wondering about the market size of PHONE OWNERS WHO WOULD BUY PIANOTEQ (or any other virtual instrument) running on a phone ... vs. those who would buy to run it on a PC or Mac.
Perhaps a slight exaggeration, but in a minute, I found these stats on annual iPhone sales and annual PC sales ...

Re: Call me crazy but I'm in love with Galaxy Vintage D!! [Re: Morodiene] #2904673 10/26/19 06:39 AM
S
stamkorg Offline
S
The Vintage D sounds great.
I just played it again and I am amazed by how good it sounds and plays.
Also, and this is not the case for all pianos, it sounds particularly good with headphones, the player's position of the microphone is superb, the sound is full and gorgeous.
Too bad for the pedaling and repedaling issues, but surprisingly I can live with these flaws.
It certainly merits our attention even after all this time since its release.

Re: Call me crazy but I'm in love with Galaxy Vintage D!! [Re: Morodiene] #2904745 10/26/19 12:11 PM
Pianist685 Offline
It seems as if I have started something... smile

Re: Call me crazy but I'm in love with Galaxy Vintage D!! [Re: Morodiene] #2904831 10/26/19 04:19 PM
magicpiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A comparison between Vintage D and American Concert D:

Vintage D:
https://soundcloud.com/7notemode/what-kind-of-fool-am-i-galaxy

American Concert D:
https://soundcloud.com/7notemode/what-kind-of-fool-am-i-ivory-1

Unfortunately it was the same MIDI file recorded, if I'm not wrong, on the Vintage D first and then rendered with the other VST, so it doesn't do full justice to the American Concert D.

Anyway I notice 2 things listening to these two:

1) The American Concert D version has a broader dynamic range.
2) The Vintage D sounds a little like an electric piano in the middle register on high velocities (I mean: too much clean and bright sound... It's more like a synthetic sound).

But considering that the Vintage D is about 4 times smaller in size and it's an older product, it defends well. But maybe they should lower its price.

Re: Call me crazy but I'm in love with Galaxy Vintage D!! [Re: Morodiene] #2904850 10/26/19 06:16 PM
P
pmh Offline
P
Hi Magicpiano, I’m so glad you mentioned the slightly synthetic mid register tones because I have also noticed this and have essentially learned to live with it thinking, it must just be me.

Paul H

Kemble Compact Acoustic Piano, Yamaha CVP 709 Polished White, Kawai MP11se, Pianoteq Standard, Galaxy Vintage D, Garritan CFX.
Re: Call me crazy but I'm in love with Galaxy Vintage D!! [Re: Morodiene] #2904859 10/26/19 06:36 PM
MacMacMac Offline
That's funny. And surprising. The American Concert D got lots of disparagement here a few years back.

Re: Call me crazy but I'm in love with Galaxy Vintage D!! [Re: pmh] #2904988 10/27/19 05:55 AM
magicpiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pmh
Hi Magicpiano, I’m so glad you mentioned the slightly synthetic mid register tones because I have also noticed this and have essentially learned to live with it thinking, it must just be me.

Paul H
Yes, to me it was so annoying that when I used the Vintage D I changed the velocity curve to never reach those high velocities, and it was much better sounding to me... But it was like I was reducing the numbers of velocity layers, so I was not fully satisfied, because in other registers the high velocity layers were fine. The American Concert D is never so harsh on high velocities, and it has more detailed lower velocities, so I like it more.
What I like more from the Vintage D is its very nice looking interface, the very good reverb, and the many settings for the piano mechanical noises, but overall I think the American Concert D is a better quality VST.

Re: Call me crazy but I'm in love with Galaxy Vintage D!! [Re: MacMacMac] #2904997 10/27/19 06:22 AM
magicpiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
That's funny. And surprising. The American Concert D got lots of disparagement here a few years back.
Why? To me its biggest flaw is its heavy CPU usage for its sympathetic resonance algorithm, but if you have a good PC that's not a problem. Unfortunately I cannot use it on my Windows tablet without disabling sympathetic resonance, because the CPU of my tablet is not powerful enough (i5-4200U 1.6GHz). On a regular PC with at least a 2.8GHz CPU it's fine, even if it's an old Core2Duo. The Ivory 2 engine is much more sensitive to MHz that on cores...

Re: Call me crazy but I'm in love with Galaxy Vintage D!! [Re: magicpiano] #2905001 10/27/19 06:30 AM
K
KevinM Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by magicpiano
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Why? To me its biggest flaw is its heavy CPU usage for its sympathetic resonance algorithm, but if you have a good PC that's not a problem. Unfortunately I cannot use it on my Windows tablet without disabling sympathetic resonance, because the CPU of my tablet is not powerful enough (i5-4200U 1.6GHz). On a regular PC with at least a 2.8GHz CPU it's fine, even if it's an old Core2Duo. The Ivory 2 engine is much more sensitive to MHz that on cores...

That is disappointing for me. My ancient quad core i7 MBP is only 2.2GHz. Good to be aware of that.

Re: Call me crazy but I'm in love with Galaxy Vintage D!! [Re: KevinM] #2905020 10/27/19 07:47 AM
magicpiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KevinM

That is disappointing for me. My ancient quad core i7 MBP is only 2.2GHz. Good to be aware of that.
Of course at the same frequency an i7 behaves better than a Core2Duo (maybe a 20-30% more, with applications that do not take advantage of multi-core) but, yeah, your CPU could be at the "limit" for a satisfactory experience with Ivory 2 VST pianos, so I would not risk until I had a better computer.

I suspect that the VIntage D could be lighter but, honestly, I have not tried it on a PC with a poor CPU (as MHz), so I don't know if it's lighter than the American Concert D.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What stage piano?
by FennerMachine - 04/04/20 07:44 AM
Counting triplets in cut time
by Tom97 - 04/04/20 06:20 AM
How did Chopin decide when to pedal?
by baudelairepianist - 04/04/20 03:09 AM
Dealers that carry Kawai & Yamaha digital lines
by Almaviva - 04/04/20 02:50 AM
Favourite Piano VI and Why
by newer player - 04/03/20 11:13 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,908
Posts2,941,899
Members96,471
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission