2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (36251, 1200s, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, 11 invisible), 1,517 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Very simple question... I'm tackling jazz piano with a vengeance. After taking lessons on-and-off without theory, I am stunningly weak at identifying chords/notes. Of course, I know them to play them, but I need to learn to "internalize" jazz chords so I can play them without thinking.

I developed a "flashcard system" for practicing: put the chord name (ie., Em, D#m, etc) on index cards (old grad school method, circa 1990), photograph them, create photobook on ipad, then "run" a slideshow on shuffle so they randomly come up....

Anyone have a better, or more practical, or more metacognitively-sound idea??

This sounds like a good way to do it, if a little labor intensive.

Here's another approach: Learn your 12 major scales. 1, 3, 5 and 7 of the major scale is the major 7 chord. Lower the 7th of that and you have dominant 7. Lower the 3rd and you have minor 7. Lower the 5th and you have minor7b5. Lower the 7th again and you have diminished 7.

This is a fool proof way to learn the 5 essential 7th chords and you don't have to rely on a picture of the chords, you can always figure out the right answer if you are not sure.

Once you can do this, read tunes in the Real Book and play chords in your left hand, melody in right. Check your chords using the system described above. Any chords that you are not sure of just run the major scale and make adjustments to find the chord you need.

I'm happy to explain it further, just contact me.

Bill
bill@jazzpianoonline.com
www.JazzPianoOnline.com
Online Jazz Piano Lessons
Yamaha C7 Disklavier DC7ENSPRO
B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Bluegrassdog

Anyone have a better, or more practical, or more metacognitively-sound idea??

I think you would be much better off learning a few at at a time and learning to use them in context as you go along, by learning one tune at a time and then, once that tune/progression is getting boring or too easy, move on to another tune. This way you are not only learning to play chords but also learning how to play them with melodies, improvisations, bass lines, and rhythms, all at the same time.

Also you can try moving the chords around in patterns - up and down chromatically, in tones, minor thirds etc.
Also arpeggios, inversions, broken chords etc. This way you can improve your technique whilst at the same time learning the notes in the chords.

Also ear training - listen to music and work it out. Start simple and build up.

N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
Another important exercise: play a chord and sing it simultaneously in the form of an arpeggio up and down.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by beeboss
[quote=Bluegrassdog]
I think you would be much better off learning a few at at a time and learning to use them in context as you go along, by learning one tune at a time and then, once that tune/progression is getting boring or too easy, move on to another tune. This way you are not only learning to play chords but also learning how to play them with melodies, improvisations, bass lines, and rhythms, all at the same time.

Thank you!. I started working with a jazz teacher who has given me some “starter pop songs” to work with, along with the chords. And this is what I’m wondering: is it better to learn them in context, as I go along— this song uses F, Dm, and C, so let’s work on those and all iterations of them for now— , or is it better to just learn many upfront, and “apply them”?

It sounds as though you’re in favour of the former, which makes sense. It’s in my nature to take it all on at once, though ( the latter). I’ll stay focused and work in small chunks <g>

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Nahum
Another important exercise: play a chord and sing it simultaneously in the form of an arpeggio up and down.

Yes! I have begun doing this and I’m surprised I am able to “hit the notes” with my voice. I guess I have under estimated my 40 years of piano-playing, hey? Oh, to be young again....all that confidence! 😝

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by JazzPianoOnline
This sounds like a good way to do it, if a little labor intensive.

Here's another approach: Learn your 12 major scales. 1, 3, 5 and 7 of the major scale is the major 7 chord. Lower the 7th of that and you have dominant 7. Lower the 3rd and you have minor 7. Lower the 5th and you have minor7b5. Lower the 7th again and you have diminished 7.

This is a fool proof way to learn the 5 essential 7th chords

Thank you so much! This is the best exercise I’ve used yet and I really appreciate it!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Depending on how much time you have, practice one chord/scale per day.
Day 1: major 7 chord (different voicings closed/open, etc), Ionian/Lydian scale. In all keys, chromatically or cycle of 5ths or . . .
Day 2: minor b7 chord, Dorian/Aeolian scale
Day 3: dominant b7 chord, Mixolydian scale (this is slightly redundant as it's the "same" as Day 2).
Day 4: dominant b7 b9 chord, half/whole tone diminished scale 1 b2 b3 3 #4 5 6 b7
Day 5: dominant altered b7 b9 #9 #5 chord, half-diminished/wholetone (also known as the Altered scale) 1 b2 b3 3 b5 b6 b7

The idea is to play patterns, arpeggios, licks - embrace the sound, the tonal colour of each.

Then apply to tunes (Standards, not bop). Spend 1 day per bar or two bars.

Another suggestion of a practice order is to follow Gary Burtons from bright to dark. Or yet again, tunes.
https://www.coursera.org/lecture/jazz-improvisation/10-most-important-scales-9BClj

Btw, this Coursera course is pretty ok - and free!

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Chris

The Gary Burton videos are very good.

Cheers

Simon

Casio PX-S3000
Korg SV2S (73)

ABRSM Grade 7 distinction 2023.
Decent blues/rock Pianist.
Try to play Jazz Piano, but pretty rubbish.
Studying ABRSM grade 8 now.

D
D
The best way to memorize is by spaced repetition. Check Anki. It uses flash cards.
https://apps.ankiweb.net/

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission