2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
RubyC Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I really like the NU1X. I think it has great action and I would like to purchase it. I know it does not have any sort of eq control like brightness adjustment. So I have to ask you:

Would you buy yours over again or something different?

Do you find the built in Bosendorfer and CFX does not need tweaking, especially bringing the brightness down?

The piano is a 2 hour drive from me to go try again, which I may do again anyway.

I mainly play classical music. I have been taking lessons for 2 years and went from a Yamaha p45 to a Yamaha P515.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I've had my for just about 10 months and wouldn't get anything different. I don't do any tweaking to the sound, my preference is the CFX both with the speakers and the headphones. Basically I treat it like an acoustic with a power switch and headphones option, just press the power button and play. The only other sample I have started using is the upright piano for Jazz.

A few things to be aware of - it doesn't have any wireless connectivity built in, a bit lame for a newer product today. Instead you have to purchase a separate WiFi adapter and separate Bluetooth adapter. The WiFi is for connecting your smart device like an iPad to use the Smart Pianist app. Bluetooth I believe it to connect external audio sources. I took the time and effort to connect the Yamaha Smart Pianist app and now rarely use it. Also from what others have reported on this forum the Smart Pianist app for Android has some issues. I haven't tried it out to compare to the iOS version but if the Smart Pianist App is important and you have an Android device you should check that out before you buy it.

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, PianoTeq Studio Steinway Model D and Petrof instrument packs
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I have an NU1, seven years or so, with less voices than the NU1X but includes CFX also the brighter C3 which I like. I had not considered changing or upgrading until the NU1X appeared with quite good reviews, which I have been checking out in a store. During my ownership the two main voices were sufficient most of the time. If I want(ed) a change I would connect my iPad and use Korg piano or IGrand or Sampletank, with the audio running back through the NU1. So far so good. I’m going to hold off upgrading until I play test an NV5, but if I do, and I may not, I would plan on doing a part exchange to lessen the cost outlay. But the bottom line is the NU1 has been fine for seven years, no GAS, and I even prefer it to my teachers grand.

B
B
I’ve had my NU1X for just under a year. At the time the N1X hadn’t been released, nor the NV5. I may well have still gone with the NU1X, but those two options make the field a little more crowded for my money. As for sound adjustments and preferences, I really only use the CFX patch. I personally wish I could make it a bit brighter when using speakers. With speakers, the sound isn’t as good as with headphones- but it by no means sounds poor or unrealistic. As a general review, I still love this instrument. I mostly play classical and noodle around rock and my own compositions.

Current: Yamaha NU1X, Reface YC, YC61; Pianoteq & Logic
Past: Yamaha DX, CP4; CME UF8, Roland A80, MK80, Alpha Juno 2; Yamaha P22 upright
I
I
I love my NU1X. The somewhat limited repetition speed due to the upright action is the only thing that makes me interested in something with a grand action.

R
RubyC Offline OP
OP Offline
R
This is very encouraging. Thank you. I too find my teachers grand to be too loud. Did any of you try the Kawai Mp11se slab piano at half the price? If so, how would you compare the action to the NU1X? iLogic pointed out the upright action key repetition is not as fast as a grand action.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RubyC
iLogic pointed out the upright action key repetition is not as fast as a grand action.

The upright key repetition on an NU1X is limited to 7 Hz (7 repetitions per second) of the exact same key (not two different keys). So for example, if you are playing a piece at crochet/quarter-note = 120 BPM, so each quarter note is half a second long. 16th note notes would therefore be an eighth of second, and two consecutive of the exact same 16th notes that repeats twice would already be slightly faster than the NU1X's action can handle. This is very fast though. You would most likely need a multi-finger repetition technique to exceed this limit. For your information, the repetition limit on an acoustical grand and N1X, for example, is 14 Hz.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
B
B
Originally Posted by RubyC
Did any of you try the Kawai Mp11se slab piano at half the price? If so, how would you compare the action to the NU1X? iLogic pointed out the upright action key repetition is not as fast as a grand action.

I tried out the MP11 (not the SE version). Was a good feeling keyboard, but didn’t feel as authentic to me. Part of it was the bottom of the key bed. Part of it was the way the keys felt in motion. Part of it was holistic- sitting at a slab with a bunch of wires and speakers takes me out of the illusion a bit. Banging out forte notes on the NU1X causes vibration under your fingers from the speakers being built in, but the whole instrument doesn’t feel like it’s wobbling from being on a stand. Obviously, this would be solved by getting the GF action in a cabinet style instrument (CS whatever), but then the price starts approaching that of the NU1X.

I think, for the price, the NU1X is the overwhelmingly most realistic piano, as long as you acknowledge the warts that come from an actual upright action.

Current: Yamaha NU1X, Reface YC, YC61; Pianoteq & Logic
Past: Yamaha DX, CP4; CME UF8, Roland A80, MK80, Alpha Juno 2; Yamaha P22 upright

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission