2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mils Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I actually just contacted an in home teacher I found on fb. I got a quick reply, which is good but he uses the Schaum series. Has anybody ever worked with that and what are your thoughts?
I think I’m a little averse to teachers who use “series” because authors of every series emphasize something different and it implies being stuck on those books indefinitely, whatever they may contain. I hadn’t seen anybody mention them (Schaum books) in my other discussion.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
When I was a beginning student I went through the entire Schaum series along with the Thompson series. This was in the 50s. I feel it was able to give me a good basis for all the playing I've done since then. I still have the books and have used them to successfully teach my Granddaughters who are doing well.

I like them.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
When I was a beginning student I went through the entire Schaum series along with the Thompson series. This was in the 50s. I feel it was able to give me a good basis for all the playing I've done since then. I still have the books and have used them to successfully teach my Granddaughters who are doing well.

I like them.

Like everything else here, I'm certain you will find people who disagree.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
As a child, my teacher used Schaum, Thompson and Michael Aaron
However, I don’t think Mils will find the included pieces any more fun than the books he has tried. As a kid, I just learned them—-one page at a time and never questioned whether they were fun or not.

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
I also used Schaum and Thompson in the 70s when I was learning. I kind of wish my kid's teacher still used them, as they were great, and I like them better than the new stuff they use today. Today's books use too many additional things to make it entertaining for the kids. Just confuses and clutters things, if you ask me.

Main battle axe: Yamaha N1
Living room axe: 1999 Petrof III
Road axe: Yamaha P515
Office axe: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Neighbor's axe that used to be my axe: Kawai GL10
R.I.P. axe: Kawai MP11SE
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I would ask if the teacher is open to using any the books that were recommended here. I don't understand why some teachers are so glued to these books, you would think they would have at least a little flexibility. It's not like they are being asked to teach Rachmaninoff!

I'm glad you were able to find someone, though! Keep looking, hopefully you will have a few teachers to pick from.

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by ebonykawai
I would ask if the teacher is open to using any the books that were recommended here. I don't understand why some teachers are so glued to these books, you would think they would have at least a little flexibility. It's not like they are being asked to teach Rachmaninoff!

I'm glad you were able to find someone, though! Keep looking, hopefully you will have a few teachers to pick from.

Go look at the index for Schaum, Thompson etc. and see if you consider the music more ‘fun’ than Alfred’s and Faber. If the choice is looking for what is more fun/less boring, I am not finding it. I don’t remember everything but there were such hits as ‘little brown jug’ and ‘top of old smokey’ You just learn what you need and move on... eventually you get to ‘fun’

I would recommend that any beginning pianist see the fun in improving so that he/she can reasonably play fun music.

Last edited by dogperson; 10/23/19 02:54 PM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mils
I actually just contacted an in home teacher I found on fb. I got a quick reply, which is good but he uses the Schaum series. Has anybody ever worked with that and what are your thoughts?

Avoid at all cost. Those books are horribly outdated and do not contain more recent developments in piano pedagogy. I grew up using those books in addition to three other series, and even at age 9 I was finding the Schaum books lackluster. The main problem with the Schaum books is that they simplified a lot of older music. I detest simplifications.

Originally Posted by Mils
I think I’m a little averse to teachers who use “series” because authors of every series emphasize something different and it implies being stuck on those books indefinitely, whatever they may contain.

That's also not true. I am attached to Alfred Premier series because it's by far the best method around and if I were to use anything else (maybe except for Piano Adventures or Hal Leonard), my students would not advance as quickly.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Who's talking about fun? I think it's more about wanting to avoid folk music, which is not to everyone's taste. I myself don't play because it's 'fun', I play because of the music I love and want to express. If there was only folk music to choose from in this world, lol, I'd have never played an instrument. 😂😂😂

Luckily we have choices.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
If there was only folk music to choose from in this world, lol, I'd have never played an instrument. 😂😂😂

I wonder how many piano students have had to suffer through London Bridge, Oh Susanna, and Camptown Races? Not me though, I had a few of those in Piano Marvel, but then my teacher used a method book which was remarkably free of those named folk tunes. There were a bunch included but mostly in parts of each unit which were for learning chord accompaniments to melodies.

BTW, this is the book. I didn't really like it, but others might feel differently. My sense is that this book can only be used with a teacher. I think it would be tough to self teach with this.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I wonder how many piano students have had to suffer through London Bridge, Oh Susanna, and Camptown Races?

Actually, those are the pieces I enjoy teaching the most, because they don't teach that in schools anymore. Part of my job as a piano teacher is to complete the incomplete education of students.

Another problem with the Schaum books is that the pedagogy is completely random. Non-sequential. Haphazard. If they bother to introduce a new skill, it is not repeated enough times for mastery.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
I wonder how many piano students have had to suffer through London Bridge, Oh Susanna, and Camptown Races?

Actually, those are the pieces I enjoy teaching the most, because they don't teach that in schools anymore. Part of my job as a piano teacher is to complete the incomplete education of students.

Another problem with the Schaum books is that the pedagogy is completely random. Non-sequential. Haphazard. If they bother to introduce a new skill, it is not repeated enough times for mastery.

I'm glad you mentioned Alfred Premier, I'd forgotten about that and I've heard a LOT of good reviews!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I'm glad you mentioned Alfred Premier, I'd forgotten about that and I've heard a LOT of good reviews!

Yes, the entire series (up to book 6!!!!) is fantastic. However, I have gotten transfer students who used those books with the previous teacher and STILL cannot read notes.

Just because a "teacher" is using Alfred Premier does NOT guarantee teaching is going on. One of these students is damaged beyond fixing, so we have to start over from scratch.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My son just started lessons at a very well-respected Russian music school and I had to buy the Schaum book. She jumps around and mostly focuses on building technique with her own eye but she definitely uses the books for the early pieces and note reading.

Like anything else, it’s how a teacher uses a book or method.

I grew up on Thompson which I know now has fallen out of favor but I suppose it worked fine. After grade 5, or whatever it was, I was on to regular scores of Chopin waltzes, Beethoven sonatas, Mozart Sonatas etc. It was only the first few years anyway.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes
My son just started lessons at a very well-respected Russian music school and I had to buy the Schaum book. She jumps around and mostly focuses on building technique with her own eye but she definitely uses the books for the early pieces and note reading.

Like anything else, it’s how a teacher uses a book or method.

I grew up on Thompson which I know now has fallen out of favor but I suppose it worked fine. After grade 5, or whatever it was, I was on to regular scores of Chopin waltzes, Beethoven sonatas, Mozart Sonatas etc. It was only the first few years anyway.

I just started lessons with a Russian teacher and she has me working on finger exercises from this Schaum book:

Fingerpower  - Level 2: Effective Technic for All Piano Methods (Schaum Publications Fingerpower(R)) by Amazon.com

Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1936098172/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_wQzSDb1CB44RP

She describes it as Baby Hanon.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LarryK
I just started lessons with a Russian teacher and she has me working on finger exercises from this Schaum book:

Fingerpower  - Level 2: Effective Technic for All Piano Methods (Schaum Publications Fingerpower(R)) by Amazon.com

Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1936098172/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_wQzSDb1CB44RP

There's a Junior Hanon too which is Hanon stripped down. Maybe that will be next for you smile

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My girlfriend recently started lessons with Faber Adult and I've had the luxury of listening to Camptown Races the past week smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
My girlfriend recently started lessons with Faber Adult and I've had the luxury of listening to Camptown Races the past week smile

Now that's love for you... wink

[Linked Image]

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

There's a Junior Hanon too which is Hanon stripped down. Maybe that will be next for you smile

Onward and upward. I trust that my teacher will be able to chart my path.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I just checked, and they have those (in English thankfully) on Amazon here in Germany too. You also have the option of a 'peek inside', which is great. So had a look at the first pages, and they seem like they might also be good for 'read and play' practicing. Two birds with one stone smile Something to consider.

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission