2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
66 members (Bellicapelli, Blague, 1957, anotherscott, Abdol, Alex Hutor, 17 invisible), 585 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Originally Posted by mivaldes
I bought the telecaster for a bit less than $800

Cool. The Tele is a quintessential model, IMO. I had a '63 Esquire many moons ago, which shared the body and neck shapes with the Tele, so it looked very similar.

The Esquire was originally produced from '51 to 69. In '51 an "uspcale" two pick up model was introduced and called the Broadcaster. Gretsch Drum's lawyers soon reminded Leo and Don Randall (first head of marketing at Fender) that they already had a musical instrument called a Broadcaster so Fender and Randall renamed the Broadcaster Telecaster. There was a transitional model made in 51 with no model designation now called the Nocaster. There are two original "No-casters" listed right now. One is listed at $56,000 and the other $114,000

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by KurtZ
Originally Posted by mivaldes
I bought the telecaster for a bit less than $800

Cool. The Tele is a quintessential model, IMO. I had a '63 Esquire many moons ago, which shared the body and neck shapes with the Tele, so it looked very similar.

The Esquire was originally produced from '51 to 69. In '51 an "uspcale" two pick up model was introduced and called the Broadcaster. Gretsch Drum's lawyers soon reminded Leo and Don Randall (first head of marketing at Fender) that they already had a musical instrument called a Broadcaster so Fender and Randall renamed the Broadcaster Telecaster. There was a transitional model made in 51 with no model designation now called the Nocaster. There are two original "No-casters" listed right now. One is listed at $56,000 and the other $114,000

Kurt

I asked my luthier why old electric guitars were getting bid up to absurd levels and he said, guys are trying to regain their youth. I can’t help but agree with him. My luthier is the last luthier building classical guitars full time at the bench in New York City, a place that, at one time, had many luthiers, including Manuel Velazquez, Manouk Papazian, Del Pilar, and Thomas Humphrey.

It’s hard for me to appreciate the workmanship in solid body electrics and see how they could be worth that much money when comparing them to classical guitars. There are so many solid body electrics available at cheap prices and CNC machines can spit them out, but whatever.

Last edited by LarryK; 10/24/19 08:22 AM.

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
The first time I ever visited Paris, I was in Montmartre when an artist tried to cajole me into a chair so that he could paint my portrait.

I had no interest in having my portrait painted, so I hardly skipped a beat, and wouldn't have, except that he then made an insulting comment about a couple of water colors that I had just purchased from someone else. I turned back and he launched into a well-worn screed about how he was a "true artist" and the other guy manufactured crap for tourists.

When he wound down I said, "mais il peut nourrir sa famille ce soir." This sent him into a tizzy, and the other nearby artists manufacturers started laughing and goading him, including one caricaturist who was waving a "portrait" of a guy holding a brush and palette, but whose oversized face was bright red with steam coming out of the ears! It obviously was meant to be my artiste, whom I'm sure held the caricaturist and everyone around him in contempt.

The reality in modern times is that almost no one wants their portrait done in oil, let alone wasting hours sitting for a starving artist in Paris when anyone who did want one could waste less precious time sitting for a starving artist back home. This guy was the only one who didn't get it: that his life would probably improve immensely--at least in terms of blood pressure and finances--if he would just swallow his pride and start selling paintings of the Eiffel Tower and Sacre Coeur. Visitors want souvenirs of the city, even if they prefer original paintings to the ubiquitous prints.

All these years later, my collection includes these two original watercolors, compete with backstory about how I purchased them from the artist in Montmartre. My collection does not included a portrait in oil--of me or anyone else--but it does include this extra story about the guy who couldn't appreciate the value in what he considered insignificant, yet was obviously frustrated by his own irrelevance.

“If it sounds good, it IS good.”
― Duke Ellington
!
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
The first time I ever visited Paris, I was in Montmartre when an artist tried to cajole me into a chair so that he could paint my portrait.

I had no interest in having my portrait painted, so I hardly skipped a beat, and wouldn't have, except that he then made an insulting comment about a couple of water colors that I had just purchased from someone else. I turned back and he launched into a well-worn screed about how he was a "true artist" and the other guy manufactured crap for tourists.

When he wound down I said, "mais il peut nourrir sa famille ce soir." This sent him into a tizzy, and the other nearby artists manufacturers started laughing and goading him, including one caricaturist who was waving a "portrait" of a guy holding a brush and palette, but whose oversized face was bright red with steam coming out of the ears! It obviously was meant to be my artiste, whom I'm sure held the caricaturist and everyone around him in contempt.

The reality in modern times is that almost no one wants their portrait done in oil, let alone wasting hours sitting for a starving artist in Paris when anyone who did want one could waste less precious time sitting for a starving artist back home. This guy was the only one who didn't get it: that his life would probably improve immensely--at least in terms of blood pressure and finances--if he would just swallow his pride and start selling paintings of the Eiffel Tower and Sacre Coeur. Visitors want souvenirs of the city, even if they prefer original paintings to the ubiquitous prints.

All these years later, my collection includes these two original watercolors, compete with backstory about how I purchased them from the artist in Montmartre. My collection does not included a portrait in oil--of me or anyone else--but it does include this extra story about the guy who couldn't appreciate the value in what he considered insignificant, yet was obviously frustrated by his own irrelevance.

I don't quite understand how your story relates to people selling used electric guitars for $56k and $114k. Could you explain how they're connected? Do you mean that my talented luthier friend should start turning out electric guitars when there are literally thousands of electric guitars available and they're relatively easy to make? A lot of fine hand work goes into making a classical guitar even if there is not a lot of money to be made when selling them.

Here is a short documentary on Manuel Velazquez, a New York City luthier who devoted his life to the craft of building fine classical guitars.

Was your annoying artist a short Spanish guy with a head like a bull?

Perhaps you passed up the chance to me this artist's muse, like Sylvette.

If I had been in the right part of Central Park one day, I could have bought some drawings from Banksy for about $40 and have turned them for over a $100k at auction. I was in the wrong part of the park. So it goes.

Last edited by LarryK; 10/24/19 02:29 PM.
J
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by LarryK

I don't quite understand how your story relates to people selling used electric guitars for $56k and $114k. Could you explain how they're connected? Do you mean that my talented luthier friend should start turning out electric guitars when there are literally thousands of electric guitars available and they're relatively easy to make? A lot of fine hand work goes into making a classical guitar even if there is not a lot of money to be made when selling them.

Here is a short documentary on Manuel Velazquez, a New York City luthier who devoted his life to the craft of building fine classical guitars.

Was your annoying artist a short Spanish guy with a head like a bull?

Perhaps you passed up the chance to me this artist's muse, like Sylvette.

If I had been in the right part of Central Park one day, I could have bought some drawings from Banksy for about $40 and have turned them for over a $100k at auction. I was in the wrong part of the park. So it goes.

Saw that movie. Didn't realize she was that gorgeous in real life!

Working on:
Preludio: Bach/Rachmaninoff E Major Sonata for Violin
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Newbie discoveries and breakthroughs
by SunnyKeys - 04/23/21 09:11 AM
Bach Prelude tempo
by Hakki - 04/23/21 08:59 AM
How do they do it?
by sheana - 04/23/21 07:54 AM
How to Play Blues Piano
by BB666 - 04/23/21 03:02 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,486
Posts3,085,687
Members101,286
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission