2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
55 registered members (butchkoch, Craig Hair, CyberGene, clothearednincompo, dumka1, danielp11, Animisha, barbaram, 11 invisible), 321 guests, and 449 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The Best Headphones According to Top Record Producers #2903261 10/22/19 05:59 PM
Bruce In Philly Offline OP
OP Offline
Yet another! headphone thread.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-be...-producers-11571771353?mod=hp_listc_pos1

I have a subscription to the Wall Street Journal, so just in case you can't read the link....

Sennheiser HD600
Audio Technica M50xs
Focal Clear (I own and love these)
Beats By Dre Pro
beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
Apple earbuds (wired)

Grado mentioned: "Emily Lazar, first woman to win Best Engineered Album Grammy for Beck’s ‘Colors’: “I favor HiFi brands because I get so much more of the intimate information, less distortion and a more enjoyable experience. While working, I like the Focal Clear($1,500, focal.com) and the Grado PS 2000e. But I have the most fun listening to vinyl on a vintage pair of Stax electrostatic ear speakers paired with their amp—I especially like that the brand doesn’t actually call them headphones.”

Full disclosure.... I am not sure I would run out a buy based on a WSJ article, but hey, it is a data point.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 10/22/19 06:01 PM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: The Best Headphones According to Top Record Producers [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2903278 10/22/19 06:25 PM
MacMacMac Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
This is the main take-away ...
Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I am not sure I would run out a buy based on a WSJ article, but hey, it is a data point.
Best is personal. My best is not your best. A record producer's best is not my best.

The only review worth having is the one where the phones are snapped onto your own skull. Am I right?

Re: The Best Headphones According to Top Record Producers [Re: MacMacMac] #2903283 10/22/19 06:34 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
This is the main take-away ...
I am not sure I would run out a buy based on a WSJ article, but hey, it is a data point.
Best is personal. My best is not your best. A record producer's best is not my best.

The only review worth having is the one where the phones are snapped onto your own skull. Am I right?

Yep.

But there is some value here as folks get to see some brands that show up in the "high fi" world. Beyerdyamic, Focal, Audio Technica, Sennheiser Grado..... These are brands that have been around a looooong time... and that is a good thing in my book.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: The Best Headphones According to Top Record Producers [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2903341 10/22/19 07:57 PM
L
LarryK Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
I like my Denon AH-D7200 headphones but I don’t use them that often. They have a low impedance of just 25 ohms so they’re easy to drive.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: The Best Headphones According to Top Record Producers [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2903355 10/22/19 08:21 PM
johnstaf Online Crying
3000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
3000 Post Club Member
Apple earbuds? eek

Re: The Best Headphones According to Top Record Producers [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2903358 10/22/19 08:28 PM
puremusic Online Content
Online Content
Nice to hear my HD600's made it.

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com
Re: The Best Headphones According to Top Record Producers [Re: johnstaf] #2903397 10/22/19 09:15 PM
L
LarryK Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Apple earbuds? eek

For phone calls, yes, for music, nothing doing.

I love my Etymotic ER4SRs for listening while traveling. The foam earplugs provide 35-42dB of attenuation.

Last edited by LarryK; 10/22/19 09:18 PM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: The Best Headphones According to Top Record Producers [Re: johnstaf] #2903408 10/22/19 09:35 PM
OP Offline
Apple earbuds? eek

So..... some background on professionals in the recording industry.... not all of them know or understand good sound. Yes, I mean that. Commercial sound, that loud compressed mess you hear on many pop records is not high fidelity at all... most of these professional kids have no idea how to properly mic an acoustic instrument or even a Les Paul through a Marshall half-stack. They get it into digital, then use software. To an old school pro... the damage is done and it is just too late.

So on one hand, they just are not interested in high fidelity. On the other hand, some pros like to hear their mixes through what most kids will be listening through... ear buds. This may sell more records but boy, does it kill high fidelity for the rest of us.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: The Best Headphones According to Top Record Producers [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2903413 10/22/19 09:47 PM
N
navindra Offline
N
But I have the most fun listening to vinyl on a vintage pair of Stax electrostatic ear speakers paired with their amp—I especially like that the brand doesn’t actually call them headphones.

🙄

Re: The Best Headphones According to Top Record Producers [Re: navindra] #2903414 10/22/19 09:53 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by navindra
But I have the most fun listening to vinyl on a vintage pair of Stax electrostatic ear speakers paired with their amp—I especially like that the brand doesn’t actually call them headphones.

🙄

The Stax headphones were what I lusted after most when they came out (besides MaryAnn -------). Back in the late 70s when I think they came out... those things were from Mars. I heard them in a shop in Youngstown Ohio... wow... I never thought anything could sound so beautiful and detailed. Shocking. But I could not afford those even in my wildest dreams.

BTW, that amp is not just an amp.... it charges the electrostatic membranes in the phone.... it was a whole system.

See here... still in business at $4,325. https://staxaudio.com/earspeaker/sr-009s

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 10/22/19 09:55 PM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: The Best Headphones According to Top Record Producers [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2903415 10/22/19 09:54 PM
puremusic Online Content
Online Content
I remember reading about the Etymotics in the past and wanting to get a pair due to their great reputation, but nowadays I know I prefer open backed to in the ear phones. I don't travel much!

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com
Re: The Best Headphones According to Top Record Producers [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2903418 10/22/19 09:59 PM
johnstaf Online Crying
3000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by navindra

🙄

The Stax headphones were what I lusted after most when they came out (besides MaryAnn -------). Back in the late 70s when I think they came out... those things were from Mars. I heard them in a shop in Youngstown Ohio... wow... I never thought anything could sound so beautiful and detailed. Shocking. But I could not afford those even in my wildest dreams.

BTW, that amp is not just an amp.... it charges the electrostatic membranes in the phone.... it was a whole system.

See here... still in business at $4,325. https://staxaudio.com/earspeaker/sr-009s

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Many would argue that the cheaper SR-L7 is better.

https://staxaudio.com/earspeaker/sr-l700

Re: The Best Headphones According to Top Record Producers [Re: johnstaf] #2903422 10/22/19 10:23 PM
N
newer player Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N

Wonderful sounding headphones IMHO. They are super comfortable but a bit heavy and so expensive (plus the special amp).

Many would argue that the cheaper SR-L7 is better.

https://staxaudio.com/earspeaker/sr-l700

I find the earcups somewhat hard and uncomfortable on my head. YMMV.

Stax was acquired by a Chinese firm not so long ago but they still have production facilities in Japan.

Re: The Best Headphones According to Top Record Producers [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2903429 10/22/19 11:10 PM
Granyala Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
So on one hand, they just are not interested in high fidelity. On the other hand, some pros like to hear their mixes through what most kids will be listening through... ear buds. This may sell more records but boy, does it kill high fidelity for the rest of us.

Indeed >.<

Sometimes high end equipment isn't all that fun when you like music outside of the few audiophile reference works and the flaws are so "in your face".

I'd love to listen to Stax at some point in my life. Just curious because it's a completely different technology.

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 6 Std | Garritan CFX / Pearl Alto Flute 201
Re: The Best Headphones According to Top Record Producers [Re: Granyala] #2903435 10/22/19 11:50 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Granyala
I'd love to listen to Stax at some point in my life. Just curious because it's a completely different technology.

No way for me. Call me paranoid but I just would never feel comfortable having such a huge voltage potential so close to my brain! 😬😬

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: The Best Headphones According to Top Record Producers [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2903458 10/23/19 03:24 AM
E
EssBrace Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by Granyala

No way for me. Call me paranoid but I just would never feel comfortable having such a huge voltage potential so close to my brain! 😬😬

Ha! I've had have some Stax 'phones for many years. I can honestly say you could not be closer to the music. Quite magnificent.

C. Bechstein Model B | Roland RD-1000
Re: The Best Headphones According to Top Record Producers [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2903467 10/23/19 04:29 AM
A
AlphaBravoCharlie Offline
A
I think the presence of Beats and Apple earpods on this list disqualifies it from being a reliable reference point. Disclaimer: I'm not Beats hater, they are not 'bad' headphones, but their occurrence here, considering intrusive marketing, raises serious suspicions as to whether the sound fidelity was the deciding factor to put them on the list wink

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
Re: The Best Headphones According to Top Record Producers [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2903469 10/23/19 04:53 AM
P
Pete14 Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
+1

Re: The Best Headphones According to Top Record Producers [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2903473 10/23/19 05:18 AM
L
LarryK Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
Apple earbuds? eek

So..... some background on professionals in the recording industry.... not all of them know or understand good sound. Yes, I mean that. Commercial sound, that loud compressed mess you hear on many pop records is not high fidelity at all... most of these professional kids have no idea how to properly mic an acoustic instrument or even a Les Paul through a Marshall half-stack. They get it into digital, then use software. To an old school pro... the damage is done and it is just too late.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Ah, yes, the the loudness war:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Loud sounds grab people’s attention and so there is a race to the bottom, or I should say top. Dynamic range gets reduced and all sounds get pushed up Into a narrow band of loudness. I can stand some loud sounds but not unrelenting loud sounds, as that tires the ears.

Roon with Tidal can show the dynamic range of an album. It’s fascinating to see how wide a dynamic range you have in orchestral music and how narrow in pop music.

In the old days, I believe record producers would play back their mixes through crappy car stereo speakers because that’s what a lot of people were listening with.

I’ve always wanted to get a Stax setup but when you’ve spent a fortune on floor speakers and the amp to drive them, as I have, it seems like a pity to listen to music through headphones. Yes, I know, the NEIGHBORS! Well, I don’t play at loud levels, perhaps for a few seconds here and there depending on the recording, and then only during the day. Nobody has complained in over a year.

Anyway, I’ll throw Denon out there as a reputable headphone manufacturer. I like my AH-D7200s, but, yes, they’re closed back. I guess I’d rather not bleed sound for my wife to hear. If I want her to hear sound, I’ll play the piano or stereo so she can hear it, LOL.

Last edited by LarryK; 10/23/19 05:20 AM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: The Best Headphones According to Top Record Producers [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2903479 10/23/19 05:34 AM
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Now I own 3 out of 6 mentioned. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rebuilt Steinways (was)? PFKAS?
by Maestro Lennie - 02/19/20 07:19 AM
Yamaha YDP s52 or Casio CDP 220R
by Love4Music - 02/18/20 09:11 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,056
Posts2,927,366
Members96,039
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission