Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
69 registered members (AprilE, Anticlock, AndrewJCW, 36251, accordeur, Abdol, 18 invisible), 1,625 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
What is a hybrid? #2903240
10/22/19 05:05 PM
10/22/19 05:05 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
Many of you know that I've resisted the notion that the AG and NV pianos are hybrids.
Nice pianos, yes. But no strings? Not a hybrid.

The Danes seem to agree. At https://www.digitalpiano.dk you can click on Hybrid Pianos, which takes you to https://www.digitalpiano.dk/hybrid.html

There they list all their hybrids ... all of them with strings.

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: What is a hybrid? [Re: MacMacMac] #2903249
10/22/19 05:16 PM
10/22/19 05:16 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Offline
4000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
I think semantic loyalty needs to translate to customer loyalty.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: What is a hybrid? [Re: MacMacMac] #2903252
10/22/19 05:23 PM
10/22/19 05:23 PM
Suffolk, United Kingdom
E
EssBrace Offline
3000 Post Club Member
EssBrace  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Suffolk, United Kingdom
Oh Mac....

Acoustic action + digital sound generation = hybrid.

Yamaha Avant Grands are Hybrids. Kawai Novuses (Novi?) are hybrids. NOTHING else currently available is a hybrid.

Why would a piano with strings be a hybrid? A piano with strings is an acoustic piano. Yes, there are products with strings and digital sound generation but they are also other things which place them in the market differently, and allow them to be differentiated from acoustics, hybrids and digitals with other recognised nomenclature, such as 'silent pianos' or 'Transacoustics/Aures' etc.

In the real world, i.e., the piano market place, the ONLY definition which makes sense (and which most people now seem to accept) is...

C. Bechstein Model B | Yamaha P-515 | Roland RD-1000
Re: What is a hybrid? [Re: MacMacMac] #2903254
10/22/19 05:34 PM
10/22/19 05:34 PM
USA
J
JJHLH Offline
JJHLH  Offline
J

USA
Didn’t Yamaha coin the term “hybrid” when they invented the AvantGrand series a decade ago? If that’s the case by definition AG’s and Novi are hybrids.

I agree with EssBrace, if a piano has strings it’s an acoustic.

Yamaha N1X, P-515. Garritan CFX. Genelec 8331 monitors.
Re: What is a hybrid? [Re: MacMacMac] #2903258
10/22/19 05:45 PM
10/22/19 05:45 PM
U
U3piano Offline
U3piano  Offline
U

I think there is no official defintion of a hybrid piano.

To me a digital piano with a real acoustic action is a hybrid, but you could also say that's just a digital with an action from an acoustic, and consider a silent or "transacoustic" (as Yamaha calls it) piano to be a true hybrid, since it's a combination of a digital and acoustic piano.

I think it's whatever you want to call it actually, it doesn't really matter to me. smile

Re: What is a hybrid? [Re: MacMacMac] #2903266
10/22/19 06:12 PM
10/22/19 06:12 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
So ... you think I should buy one of those ATX or Aures models, instead of an AG or Novus? Is that what you're telling me? smile
Originally Posted by CyberGene

Re: What is a hybrid? [Re: JJHLH] #2903272
10/22/19 06:17 PM
10/22/19 06:17 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
This is surely true ...
Originally Posted by JJHLH
If a piano has strings it’s an acoustic.
And ...
If a piano with strings is an acoustic, then a piano with only digital sound is a digital piano.
If a piano has both then it's a hybrid ... as with all of the ATX/Aures pianos on that Danish site.
You choose the sound. Strings when you want them. Digits when you don't.

This is my motivation ...
Originally Posted by U3piano
... consider a silent or "transacoustic" (as Yamaha calls it) piano to be a true hybrid, since it's a combination of a digital and acoustic piano.
These Yamahas predate all of the newbie hybrid imposters.

Re: What is a hybrid? [Re: EssBrace] #2903276
10/22/19 06:25 PM
10/22/19 06:25 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
G

Originally Posted by EssBrace
Oh Mac....

Yamaha Avant Grands are Hybrids. Kawai Novuses (Novi?) are hybrids. NOTHING else currently available is a hybrid.

Why would a piano with strings be a hybrid? A piano with strings is an acoustic piano. Yes, there are products with strings and digital sound generation but they are also other things which place them in the market differently, and allow them to be differentiated from acoustics, hybrids and digitals with other recognised nomenclature, such as 'silent pianos' or 'Transacoustics/Aures' etc.

In the real world, i.e., the piano market place, the ONLY definition which makes sense (and which most people now seem to accept) is...

+1

Mac, with all all due respect, I think you've been set on a subjectively rigid definition of hybrid, one that isn't even accepted in your domains of expertise. Duplication/redundancy of function (digital sound generation + acoustic sound generation from strings in a single instrument) isn't a necessary condition for a hybrid. In fact, technically *function* (acoustic sound generation) shouldn't come into the definition at all--a hybrid simply needs to be a mix or cross between two species/varieties.

An acoustic action mated to digital sound generation is plainly a hybrid. As would a Yamaha NWX action glued to plectrums strumming a harpsichord. As a marketing term, Yamaha's definition for the AGs seems pure enough (real acoustic action, digital sound generation), but it does open the door for others to make the same claim for a number of other things (does the acoustic upright cabinet that houses a CS-11 make it a hybrid).

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: What is a hybrid? [Re: MacMacMac] #2903281
10/22/19 06:31 PM
10/22/19 06:31 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
Yamaha had a different idea decades ago.
I'm especially annoyed by advertisers who pervert traditional meaning to cajole and deceive. The AG and NV pianos are only hybrid by this johnny-come-lately definition.

But, U3 says it doesn't matter to him. And in a limited sense it doesn't matter to me, either.
That's because I'm likely to buy one of those imposter hybrids in a year or so. I just won't be fooled into thinking it's a hybrid.
Rather I'll be convinced that I'm getting a top-notch digital.

Re: What is a hybrid? [Re: MacMacMac] #2903287
10/22/19 06:37 PM
10/22/19 06:37 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
G

Originally Posted by MacMacMac

Rather I'll be convinced that I'm getting a top-notch digital.

Well, you'd be right there. It would certainly be a digital piano. But according to the definition, that doesn't make it also *not* a hybrid wink

Re: What is a hybrid? [Re: Gombessa] #2903290
10/22/19 06:43 PM
10/22/19 06:43 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Online content
500 Post Club Member
David B  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras
Originally Posted by Gombessa

Duplication/redundancy of function (digital sound generation + acoustic sound generation from strings in a single instrument) isn't a necessary condition for a hybrid. In fact, technically *function* (acoustic sound generation) shouldn't come into the definition at all--a hybrid simply needs to be a mix or cross between two species/varieties.

It's the same concept with my Prius. It's a mix/cross between an internal combustion engine and a battery powered electric motor. The two work together to form the Toyota Prius Hybrid. The car won't run without both working together.

Same with the N1X/NV-10. Acoustic action working with electric/digital sound generation produces a hybrid piano.

Hybrid is a blending of two different things to produce a third (hybrid) result. From what I understand the acoustic pianos that actually have sound generators in them work independently of each another. You either have an acoustic sound or a digital sound. However, the two don't seem to be designed to work together to produce a third (hybrid) result.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 10/22/19 06:48 PM.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Lessons 1-42 Completed
Re: What is a hybrid? [Re: MacMacMac] #2903294
10/22/19 06:46 PM
10/22/19 06:46 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Offline
4000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
So ... you think I should buy one of those ATX or Aures models, instead of an AG or Novus? Is that what you're telling me? smile
Originally Posted by CyberGene

Oh, no! I meant that in a world where salesmen would tell you lies, these particular ones might be worth it a customer respect for their honesty, despite being far away from you smile (Although it can be argued that they simply tell you only what you wanna hear wink )

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: What is a hybrid? [Re: Gombessa] #2903300
10/22/19 06:53 PM
10/22/19 06:53 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

As a marketing term, Yamaha's definition for the AGs seems pure enough (real acoustic action, digital sound generation), but it does open the door for others to make the same claim for a number of other things (does the acoustic upright cabinet that houses a CS-11 make it a hybrid).

Still trying to understand what two things are being married together in the case of a Casio GP which makes it a "hybrid" though....

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: What is a hybrid? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2903309
10/22/19 07:06 PM
10/22/19 07:06 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
G

Originally Posted by David B

It's the same concept with my Prius. It's a mix/cross between an internal combustion engine and a battery powered electric motor. The two work together to form the Toyota Prius Hybrid. The car won't run without both working together.

I've actually thought about the analogy to hybrid cars. Some Priuses qualify (but as I understand it, technically speaking a traditional Prius can drive the wheels from either gas engine or the electric motor, which meets Mac's minimum definition). A better example might be the Chevy Volt, which is undeniably also a hybrid. But the gas engine (strings) can only charge the electric battery (digital sound generation), and isn't part of the drivetrain--only the electric motor is--so it doesn't drive the car (produce sound). Both Prius and Volt qualify as hybrids, but you cannot say the Volt *isn't* a hybrid. Yeah, I get this may be overthinking things smile

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Still trying to understand what two things are being married together in the case of a Casio GP which makes it a "hybrid" though....

Practically: Nothing more than any other "non-hybrid" digital piano like a CLP or LX. Pure digital-only action (not used in an acoustic), per digital only sound generation, pure digital-only cabinet and sound reproduction.

Reducto ad absurdum: It has wooden keys (is that enough?). Maybe it has the same keytop material as a C. Bechstein? It uses wood in its cabinet construction? Again, nothing different from any other high-end digital piano, but should the line be drawn somewhere? I kind of think in this case the "marketing" definition Yamaha came up with is fair to define the category. That's up to debate of course, but I don't think it's quite as debatable as whether an AG is a hybrid or not.

Re: What is a hybrid? [Re: Gombessa] #2903321
10/22/19 07:25 PM
10/22/19 07:25 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Online content
500 Post Club Member
David B  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras

I've actually thought about the analogy to hybrid cars. Some Priuses qualify (but as I understand it, technically speaking a traditional Prius can drive the wheels from either gas engine or the electric motor, which meets Mac's minimum definition).

That's true, but the gas engine and electric motor must work together. Even when the gas engine is running the battery is charging to run the electric motor. The transition between the two is almost constant and if one fails the car will not run.

It's a symbiotic relationship just like in the N1X/NV10. If either the acoustic action or digital sound fails the piano will not play. The two dependent on each other is also what makes it a hybrid.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 10/22/19 07:34 PM.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Re: What is a hybrid? [Re: David B] #2903331
10/22/19 07:36 PM
10/22/19 07:36 PM
Hobart, Australia
A
ando Offline
5000 Post Club Member
ando  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
A

Hobart, Australia

Hybrid is a blending of two different things to produce a third (hybrid) result. From what I understand the acoustic pianos that actually have sound generators in them work independently of each another. You either have an acoustic sound or a digital sound. However, the two don't seem to be designed to work together to produce a third (hybrid) result.

God Bless,
David

Not the case for the Yamaha Transacoustic. They will allow the digital piano sound to lift the dampers and activate the acoustic strings for the purposes of resonance. So that's a hybrid for sure.

Re: What is a hybrid? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2903366
10/22/19 08:41 PM
10/22/19 08:41 PM
Dublin
johnstaf Offline
2000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Dublin

Casio are lying. Many people seem to think that the Casio GPs have real piano actions.

Re: What is a hybrid? [Re: ando] #2903394
10/22/19 09:11 PM
10/22/19 09:11 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Online content
500 Post Club Member
David B  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras
Originally Posted by ando

God Bless,
David

Not the case for the Yamaha Transacoustic. They will allow the digital piano sound to lift the dampers and activate the acoustic strings for the purposes of resonance. So that's a hybrid for sure.

That's pretty cool.

Although, they still can work independently from each other (at least acoustic can) where hybrid in piano nomenclature seems to include a collaboration of the two (acoustic and digital) in order to function at all.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 10/22/19 09:16 PM.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Re: What is a hybrid? [Re: johnstaf] #2903403
10/22/19 09:21 PM
10/22/19 09:21 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by johnstaf
Casio are lying. Many people seem to think that the Casio GPs have real piano actions.

You'd think that these days, when there often are legal repercussions for outright lying in marketing literature, that Casio's lawyers would have had them come up with some reason. I can almost picture in my mind's eye, one of their in-house lawyers asking the marketing department, "What will we say if we are asked why the GP is a hybrid?" LOL

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: What is a hybrid? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2903407
10/22/19 09:27 PM
10/22/19 09:27 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
G

You'd think that these days, when there often are legal repercussions for outright lying in marketing literature, that Casio's lawyers would have had them come up with some reason. I can almost picture in my mind's eye, one of their in-house lawyers asking the marketing department, "What will we say if we are asked why the GP is a hybrid?" LOL

There's nothing technically inaccurate about the name. As Mac suggests in the OP, "hybrid" isn't defined, it's not an accepted term of art, and they can also fall back to "the keytops use the same material as on an acoustic."

This is why there's no foul when Roland calls their actions "Hybrid Grand Keyboard" or Kawai US calls the CA-97/CS-11 hybrids. If anything, it's a muddy, meaningless term. Casio is just way more successful capitalizing off of it than other makers.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
can anyone name this melody
by vibavi attigala. 11/21/19 11:29 PM
Subwoofers with Studio monitors?
by Vkk. 11/21/19 10:11 PM
Want to simulate the physiological effects of perf. anxiety?
by CianistAndPomposer. 11/21/19 06:19 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,246
Posts2,893,636
Members95,037
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission