Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
139 registered members (Ankee, AaronSF, AlphaBravoCharlie, AndrewJCW, AWilley, ando, Barly, 36251, 34 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
pain in the wrist #2902976
10/22/19 03:18 AM
10/22/19 03:18 AM
V
vibavi attigala Offline OP
Bronze Subscriber
vibavi attigala  Offline OP
Bronze Subscriber
V

i am a 26 year old beginner to the piano. last week i just tried some arpeggios and some hanon exercises.after few minutes its starting to hurt my wrist when i play the arpeggios several time is that something wrong with my techniques or is it some kind of a adaptation period?.your help is highly appreciated.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: pain in the wrist [Re: vibavi attigala] #2902988
10/22/19 05:27 AM
10/22/19 05:27 AM
U.K.
5150917069 Offline
5150917069  Offline

U.K.
I'm also a beginner. I've also started to feel wrist pain doing Hanon but kept going nevertheless, trusting the instructions in their booklet to the letter. Then I saw this video. I believe I cam close to injuring myself doing Hanons as instructed and had to take 10 days off the piano to (somewhat) recuperate from the wrist inflamation incured.

Watch the video. I offset the start to hilight the link with Hanons, I recommend you first watch from this point. Then resume from the start to understand how to avert wrist pain. I'm by no means an expert but it solved the issue for me. I've been able to practice Hanon drills with rotation without experiencing pain since.

Re: pain in the wrist [Re: vibavi attigala] #2902993
10/22/19 05:51 AM
10/22/19 05:51 AM
London UK
Tmax100 Offline
Tmax100  Offline

London UK
Quick fix - play a short passage, a few bars and notice how much tension is in the hand and wrist
Then relax the hand completely - it should go floppy
Now try to play the passage again with that floppy feeling in the wrist

You should feel relief in the hand

Another easy way is to break the wrist (high wrist with fingers dropping down) as you go down onto the keys - this is using the arm to play

Another BIG tip is NOT to move the hand until you know where the next note is - Don't forget it is the movement you are practising !!!! - This will help take away any anxiety which will help tension in the hand

An aching wrist/hand is normal after extended play - your hands will harden to it over time
BUT
Pain is always a NO NO !!!!! - rest until it feels ok, then gently resume in a day or 2

I always find short practice sessions done often, is much much better than longer sessions

Yamaha P-515
Previous: Yamaha CLP-155 || AUGUST FÖRSTER 116E
Re: pain in the wrist [Re: Tmax100] #2903002
10/22/19 06:40 AM
10/22/19 06:40 AM
U.K.
5150917069 Offline
5150917069  Offline

U.K.
Originally Posted by Tmax100

I always find short practice sessions done often, is much much better than longer sessions

Amen to that

Re: pain in the wrist [Re: vibavi attigala] #2903055
10/22/19 09:50 AM
10/22/19 09:50 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
M
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
M

Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by vibavi attigala
i am a 26 year old beginner to the piano. last week i just tried some arpeggios and some hanon exercises.after few minutes its starting to hurt my wrist when i play the arpeggios several time is that something wrong with my techniques or is it some kind of a adaptation period?.your help is highly appreciated.

I think even if you practice in short sessions, if your technique is failing you then it's not really addressing the problem - just not making it worse.

I highly recommend you take a look at Randall Faber's videos on Hanon as well as the previously mentioned video. However, I must warn you that teaching yourself technique can be very difficult if you're not particular attuned to how your body moves and reacts.

Take it slow, and learn to pay attention to the details of what's going on inside, and do lots of videos of yourself and watch them immediately after to compare with what you see Faber and Mortenson are doing, then go back and make another attempt while recording, then watch the video, etc.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: pain in the wrist [Re: Tmax100] #2903122
10/22/19 12:59 PM
10/22/19 12:59 PM
London
C
chopin_r_us Offline
2000 Post Club Member
chopin_r_us  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C

London

Another easy way is to break the wrist (high wrist with fingers dropping down) as you go down onto the keys - this is using the arm to play

You won't get better advice anywhere.

Re: pain in the wrist [Re: vibavi attigala] #2904091
10/24/19 01:47 PM
10/24/19 01:47 PM
J
Jethro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Jethro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

Assuming you are doing them right you may just be getting tired and that is normal for a beginner but you shouldn't have pain that lasts beyond the point that you stopped playing. Your wrists shouldn't be sore after playing or your technique is off, or you are playing too much too soon and need to break your sessions down to shorter sessions. Always best to consult with a teacher who can observe you in person and guide you from there. I've been playing for over 40 years and still learning. My teachers still guide me by taking my hand and putting my hand and fingers in the proper positions and I am pretty advanced technically. Proper teaching is so important to avoid injury.

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
Re: pain in the wrist [Re: Tmax100] #2904111
10/24/19 03:23 PM
10/24/19 03:23 PM
Philadelphia, PA
J
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member
jdw  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

Philadelphia, PA

Another BIG tip is NOT to move the hand until you know where the next note is - Don't forget it is the movement you are practising !!!! - This will help take away any anxiety which will help tension in the hand

This advice is worth repeating. It's counter-intuitive for many, as we tend to move in the general direction and then grope--not good. It actually applies even just for moving from one finger to another. The movement needs to know its destination.

1989 Baldwin R
Currently working on:​
Schubert, Op. 90 no. 2
Sinding, Frühlingsrauschen (Rustle of Spring)
Beethoven, Sonata no. 14 in C# minor (Moonlight)
Re: pain in the wrist [Re: jdw] #2904133
10/24/19 04:29 PM
10/24/19 04:29 PM
J
Jethro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Jethro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

Originally Posted by jdw

This advice is worth repeating. It's counter-intuitive for many, as we tend to move in the general direction and then grope--not good. It actually applies even just for moving from one finger to another. The movement needs to know its destination.

Are you saying it is also good injury prevention to practice slow?

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
Re: pain in the wrist [Re: jdw] #2904216
10/24/19 08:22 PM
10/24/19 08:22 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
M
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline
M

Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by jdw

No groping at the piano - always good advice laugh

In all seriousness, I believe that some tension comes from playing before you know what you're supposed to play. But a lot can come from poor technique, too. Slow practice is a good way to learn pieces.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: pain in the wrist [Re: Tmax100] #2904265
10/25/19 12:37 AM
10/25/19 12:37 AM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
[...]
An aching wrist/hand is normal after extended play
[...]

I don't agree with this.

Regards,

Last edited by BruceD; 10/25/19 12:38 AM.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: pain in the wrist [Re: vibavi attigala] #2904310
10/25/19 03:48 AM
10/25/19 03:48 AM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Offline
500 Post Club Member
Colin Miles  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

South Wales
One thing that should be considered is referred pain. That is when the pain, or ache occurs away from the cause of the problem. Hand, wrist or fingers problems can be caused by arm, elbow, shoulder or back problems. Yesterday my left thumb started to cause me a little concern, admittedly after lots and lots of exercise. But the problem seems to lie in my left arm above the wrist and below the elbow where the tendons/muscles seems to have tightened up. Massaging that frees up the thumb.

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
Re: pain in the wrist [Re: vibavi attigala] #2904319
10/25/19 04:39 AM
10/25/19 04:39 AM
Moscow, Russia
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Iaroslav Vasiliev  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I

Moscow, Russia

It's something with your technique. Pain in the wrist must not occur at all. Sometimes there might be a pain in your muscles, but not in the wrist.

Re: pain in the wrist [Re: Jethro] #2904828
10/26/19 03:12 PM
10/26/19 03:12 PM
Philadelphia, PA
J
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member
jdw  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted by Jethro
Originally Posted by jdw

I was thinking more of not stretching toward the direction of play, whether slow or fast.

Also will second (or third) those who say aching in the wrist is not normal.

1989 Baldwin R
Currently working on:​
Schubert, Op. 90 no. 2
Sinding, Frühlingsrauschen (Rustle of Spring)
Beethoven, Sonata no. 14 in C# minor (Moonlight)
Re: pain in the wrist [Re: BruceD] #2904913
10/26/19 07:46 PM
10/26/19 07:46 PM
Niagara Falls NY
ebonykawai Online content
1000 Post Club Member
ebonykawai  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Niagara Falls NY
Originally Posted by BruceD
[...]
An aching wrist/hand is normal after extended play
[...]

I don't agree with this.

Regards,

I don't agree with this either. I have never had pain from playing, ever after a couple hours.

Lisa

Currently working on RCM 7 repertoire
Kawai UST-9, Yamaha CLP565GP, Kawai KDP110

"Sometimes I can only groan, and suffer, and pour out my despair at the piano!" - Frederic Chopin
Re: pain in the wrist [Re: jdw] #2904920
10/26/19 08:27 PM
10/26/19 08:27 PM
J
Jethro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Jethro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

Originally Posted by jdw
Originally Posted by Jethro
Originally Posted by jdw

I was thinking more of not stretching toward the direction of play, whether slow or fast.

Also will second (or third) those who say aching in the wrist is not normal.

That was a rhetorical question. My teacher is always reminding me to practice slow - and I've made great great strides and it has helped me learn advanced repertoire much quicker than before. But it also is a good way to avoid injury. I agree with everyone here pain in the wrist or anywhere in the body should really not be occurring any time when you play. The only discomfort I may feel is just the hand getting a little tired and to me that also is a warning sign that my technique is a little even with a very difficult piece. Some of it may involve being too "fingery" and not using enough of my entire upper extremity and body and/or I'm not relaxed enough. Piano injuries are real. I just treated a student in piano performance at top 3 music conservatory in the US for bilateral wrist tenosynovitis. It took an entire semester off and 3-4 months of rehab just to get him ready to re-enter his studies this fall.

Try to always work with a qualified teacher in your piano studies. They can be a big help and really not teachers are created equal.

Last edited by Jethro; 10/26/19 08:28 PM.

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
Re: pain in the wrist [Re: vibavi attigala] #2906513
10/30/19 04:06 PM
10/30/19 04:06 PM
Worcester. Uk
W
Wayne2467 Offline
Wayne2467  Offline
W

Worcester. Uk
I get wrist pain from Time to time in the right hand- I consciously then try to keep very relaxed and find over the next 24 hours it goes back to normal.

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Your favorite Pianoteq piano
by EVC2017. 11/12/19 05:57 PM
Frozen ProTek
by DMPTT. 11/12/19 05:43 PM
Should I fix or buy new one?
by jennie_hp. 11/12/19 04:13 PM
Minor Shoulder Surgery
by KenBakerMN. 11/12/19 01:50 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,049
Posts2,890,115
Members94,935
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission